• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[SPOILER ALERT] - The Sevens Squares. - A Square-Enix general support threads.

Who do you think is the most likely possible Square-Enix Newcomer? (Two Choices possibles)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

PrettyIvyPearls22

Smash Ace
The only thing we know sure of was planned in the base game was a first party character based on datamines, not a third-party newcomer.
If a first party character ends up being next, then that would pretty debunks the Joker and Erdrick leak that been going around. If the Square character is much later within the pass, I wouldn't even think that's its Dragon Quest anymore and that its someone else completely or we're just not going to get a Square character at all.

If it is Dragon Quest it just seem like one of the ones you would reveal for much early on in the Fighter Pass, not save for second to last, or even the last one.

Last edited:

CureParfait

Smash Ace
Given how much leaks about Erdrick is popping up. I am starting to doubt that Erdrick is the 2nd DLC character.

SSGuy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4871-4520-9643
The only thing we know sure of was planned in the base game was a first party character based on datamines, not a third-party newcomer.
How do we know about this? Was this due to an open slot? Does this imply an already represented first party series or uncertain about that.

Honestly if the second character revealed isn’t a Square character, put me on team “there isn’t a square character”.
Finally! People jumping on my unpopular theory train!

Last edited:

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
is there anything major to censor? (also off topic but like your profile pic it feels like yours and mine are looking at something and are both equally disgusted)
Sometimes there is. Like how in DQ8 for 3DS, Jessicca's bikini outfit was replaced by something else. Or there's always... puff-puff.

But yeah, it's a pretty rare ocurrence.

(lol hadn't noticed both look annoyed, maybe they're annoyed at @liquidmetalslime 's avatar for being the most popular one from the trilogy? :D)

D

Deleted member

Sometimes there is. Like how in DQ8 for 3DS, Jessicca's bikini outfit was replaced by something else. Or there's always... puff-puff.

But yeah, it's a pretty rare ocurrence.

(lol hadn't noticed both look annoyed, maybe they're annoyed at @liquidmetalslime 's avatar for being the most popular one from the trilogy? :D)
Zenithia gang has to stick together now lol

Cheezey Bites

Slime Knight
NNID
koske1
3DS FC
4356-0097-9129
Catching up on this thread I find it weird how quick it went from hoping Erdrick is in so it doesn't hurt his fan's feelings to there was never a squeenix character at all.

Just an observation. Personally can't relate to either view

3DSNinja

Smash Lord
I'm still calling Geno because he seems like the most likely and all the stuff Nintendo would have to go through to get Erdrick seems ludicrous.

Ovaltine

Smash Master
Honestly, if Erdrick ended up a cut character like the Chorus Kids situation, then I personally wouldn't be surprised if we didn't get a Square rep at all either. That is, unless this is being treated as a 'slot'-type situation, much like Incineroar's slot was, but I honestly doubt that. There's no evidence of this at all.

Untouch

Smash Master
Honestly the "Erdrick is a cut character" thing seems like grasping for straws.
If Nintendo went through all the apparent effort to get this character, he wasn't getting cut.
Also if he was cut, that means he would have been in development so the name would have leaked way earlier instead of just being a list of 7 names.

SSGuy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4871-4520-9643
Honestly the "Erdrick is a cut character" thing seems like grasping for straws.
If Nintendo went through all the apparent effort to get this character, he wasn't getting cut.
Also if he was cut, that means he would have been in development so the name would have leaked way earlier instead of just being a list of 7 names.
But who is to say every leak is just piggy backing off the 5ch leak?

D

Deleted member

How would you feel if we got Hero/Eight from Dragon Quest 8 instead of Erdrick or or Luminary?

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223
I'm still calling Geno because he seems like the most likely and all the stuff Nintendo would have to go through to get Erdrick seems ludicrous.
They only need to talk to three people and one company to get Dragon Quest in Smash. With Square Enix already on board in Smash, that leaves only Yuji Horii, Akira Toriyama, and Koichi Sugiyama, and they've all worked together extensively and with Nintendo for so long that there shouldn't be any issue with collaborating with Nintendo again.

It's not like they're trying to negotiate with Disney to get Mickey Mouse in Smash.

Last edited:

Cheezey Bites

Slime Knight
NNID
koske1
3DS FC
4356-0097-9129
How would you feel if we got Hero/Eight from Dragon Quest 8 instead of Erdrick or or Luminary?
Not great, but it'd be better than nothing.

Honestly Erdrick feels like the corporate choice over Slime to me; some man in a suit has decided he'd be more popular to the wider audience. It feels like Geno getting overlooked for a pixelated hammer wielding "RPG Mario" as a character, or Sora getting dropped for King Micky.

Eight in this would be like RPG Bowser, or Donald being picked. I'd still get DQ content and that'd be incredible, but I would be disappointed.

Minik

Smash Journeyman
Not great, but it'd be better than nothing.

Honestly Erdrick feels like the corporate choice over Slime to me; some man in a suit has decided he'd be more popular to the wider audience. It feels like Geno getting overlooked for a pixelated hammer wielding "RPG Mario" as a character, or Sora getting dropped for King Micky.

Eight in this would be like RPG Bowser, or Donald being picked. I'd still get DQ content and that'd be incredible, but I would be disappointed.
Wouldn't Slime be the corporate choice if anything, literally used for all marketing where as Erdrick would be just for fans of the games he was in. I doubt that Erdrick would have wider appeal than Slime would just for sillyness alone.

PsySmasher

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW 8231-8239-3130
Honestly if the second character revealed isn’t a Square character, put me on team “there isn’t a square character”.
As much as I would like to jump on that team and call it a day...

I could see a hypothetical situation were Erdrick could be the 3rd or even the 4th character.

So I'm probably gonna be stuck on team "be really really skeptical, but don't rule it out" for like, most of 2019.

D

Deleted member

I dunno about why if Erdrick is our DLC SE rep, he would be known so early. Frankly I think if he was cut from the starting roster, it was at a really early stage of development(or even at the planning stage) alongside any other character cut rather than in the middle or late development. Remember that Ultimate's gimmick was Everybody's Here and had a set date for release, so it would have complicated a lot of things during the way. DLC characters are developed at a faster rate as they are pretty much the only focus after all.

That said, Erdrick makes sense in regards that he is Cloud's equivalent and we would get another legendary hero. Slime would be great but in a game with Cloud and Link, it only makes more sense to me to have Erdrick to join than Slime.

Last edited by a moderator:

Cheezey Bites

Slime Knight
NNID
koske1
3DS FC
4356-0097-9129
Wouldn't Slime be the corporate choice if anything, literally used for all marketing where as Erdrick would be just for fans of the games he was in. I doubt that Erdrick would have wider appeal than Slime would just for sillyness alone.
I would think so, but corporates have told me in no uncertain terms that men with swords, cars or guns are more marketable than
A) women
B) animals
C) psychologically backed up symbology
D) actual multimillion dollar toy liscences that I got a spoken agreement about using

Corporates have a very different idea to the fandom... And that's kind of why prior to 5ch the fandom had kind of settled on Slime as a real cool guy.

As for Cloud and Link I would only argue in a game with Pikachu and Mario wouldn't Slime make more sense, but I don't think itsuch value to argue about what makes sense as honestly Sakurai can make anything make sense with work.

Sudden pertinent thought:
I admit Nintendo are better at getting their audience as a market, selling breath of the wild with a massive vista on the box art for a game that is selling to it's fans as a giant open world to explore. Or there's Odyssey with various colourful locations on the box in a game sold to fans as being the return to dense thematic worlds to jump around.

Final Fantasy XV was sold to fans as an open world and grand narrative. So what did they put on the box for the wider audience? Four men with swords, guns and a friggin car!

I know they're the main characters but that's not the best way to show the appeal of the game, it's a way to tick boxes for what suits think sell things. And that's why I think the dude with the sword would be the corporate choice, because the appeal of Dragon Quest is mostly in it's charm and comfort... Alongside a well balanced turn based system and a bunch of exploration, but mostly the charm. Slime is the way you portray that, but it has fewer men or swords so it's probably not marketable or something...

Last edited:

Robertman2

IT'S HAPPENING!!!!
NNID
Robertman2
3DS FC
0259-1071-1157
Considering we know Sakurai prefers protags over mascots (see: Cloud and Joker), Slime would most certainly be a corporate pick.

The reactions to Joker and Cloud also show people want protags as well.

Last edited:

Minik

Smash Journeyman
I think with Slime they're probably gonna make it appear on a stage and be a Mii hat like chocobo got in 4, issue with Slime is no limbs to use for grabs and items, Smash so far has stuck to this pretty hard, even using vinewhips or ivysaur and having some of the stubbier limb characters hold items in their mouths (but stand up for guns and stuff). I'd like to see them find a way to change that though.

D

Deleted member

I think with Slime they're probably gonna make it appear on a stage and be a Mii hat like chocobo got in 4, issue with Slime is no limbs to use for grabs and items, Smash so far has stuck to this pretty hard, even using vinewhips or ivysaur and having some of the stubbier limb characters hold items in their mouths (but stand up for guns and stuff). I'd like to see them find a way to change that though.
In Rocket Slime, they propel themself in a slingshot-esque manner to knock something (or someone) into the air to carry on top of them. Though that would likely be a B move rather than a grab, they could base the grab off of that somewhat.

Cheezey Bites

Slime Knight
NNID
koske1
3DS FC
4356-0097-9129
Considering we know Sakurai prefers protags over mascots (see: Cloud and Joker), Slime would most certainly be a corporate pick.

The reactions to Joker and Cloud also show people want protags as well.
Pikachu is pretty corporate so you could have a point, but also Sakurai puts Me Saturn everywhere he can...

I can't speak to how Sakurai develops from any point of authority, but I work in marketing, and I can speak to appeal. FFVII is about cinematic storytelling and your band of characters. Persona is all about the characters and parasocial relationships (and prior to 5 pretty much everything in else in the games where bad *hides from fanboys*).

While I would argue a cutscene would be a better way to sell FFVII under the limitations of a playable Smash character ofcourse it's Cloud! And Joker would be the same, because you can't play all his friends at once, but you can definitely interact with them on a stage with the same avatar you do in the game.

Dude with sword is the vessel of DQ, but there's an easier way to show the appeal of the franchise to me... But rarely do corporates see my job as imparting the appeal of a product to potential customers, and far more often they see it as tricking consumers into giving them money... So maybe development wise they see things differently, and maybe in Japan they do too (spoilers they definitely do, but I'm being vague for effect, and because the implied reason for a DQ rep us to market to the west), but in my experience man with sword is corporate as feck.

Last edited:

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
Zenithia gang has to stick together now lol
Well of course! We all should!

Pretty good actually! Both Erdrick and Eight hold a special place in my Heart.

This is more or less how I like them.

Eight - Erdrick - Luminary
Solo (4) - Descendant (1) - Rek (6) - Madason (5)
Prince of M. (2) - Nine (9) - Auster (7)

I like all protagonists, but I do have some preferences if I had to choose. Not counting female counterparts, otherwise Sofía from DQ4 would be right after Erdrick/Eight.

Last edited:

Untouch

Smash Master
This would have come out a lot earlier during the datamine days if this was a thing surely.

That said, Jack could be Jack Frost as part of Joker's moveset and I do remember the Brave Party rumor. Hmm. Jack could also be Raiden as Sakurai meet with Kojima recently but that's also a ridiculous longshot I am pretty against so I'm gonna lock that one away.
If anyone else posted this, I'd find it dubious, but jam1gamer is legit.

D

Deleted member

"Leon S. Kennedy (Resident Evil)
Tracer (Overwatch)
Brave Party (Dragon Quest)
Sol · Bad Guy (Guilty Gear)

It is said that for the time being, it is said to be a delusion so I might fall off this thread, but something stuck with my mind People save it and it's
really a serious leak "
what could this be ohohoho

Last edited by a moderator:

Untouch

Smash Master
Here’s the Brave Party thing. Strange if this of all things came true.
"brave" and "hero" are pretty similar in Japanese, to the point where google translate confuses the two

brave.gif

the leak actually says "hero party", just google translate says "brave party"

Last edited:

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
"brave" and "hero" are pretty similar in Japanese, to the point where google translate confuses the two

View attachment 185378

the leak actually says "hero party", just google translate says "brave party"
Probably leads credence to it being a Dragon Quest character since that series likes using the term "heroes"

PolarPanda

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-5723-5971-6209
https://twitter.com/jam1garner/status/1080961830825193473
oough

Data for 3 names was found apparently.
Jack - (Assumed to be Joker.)
Packun - Piranha Plant
Brave - ??? (Hero and Brave mean approximately the same thing in Japanese)
I'm begging you. stop spreading this. we agreed to keep this in private. If this spreads further, Nintendo might catch on. PLEASE KEEP THIS INFO ON THE DOWN LOW LIKE I WAS TRYING TO DO. Really, if this goes further, just refer to codenames and do not mention the game's code at all....

Top Bottom