• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[SPOILER ALERT] - The Sevens Squares. - A Square-Enix general support threads.

Who do you think is the most likely possible Square-Enix Newcomer? (Two Choices possibles)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Minik

Smash Journeyman
Honestly I wouldn't be massively surprised if the name Erdrick came up a lot because of an idea for him that then got turned into a Mii costume (which could have male and female versions) similar to Heihachi, maybe with someone else being a DQ rep instead.

Ayumi Tachibana

Smash Ace
Ok, so I was digging up some old articles and found a pretty interesting bit of information.
This was directly stated from DQ11 devs during their stage at UNREAL FEST EAST 2017.
https://s.famitsu.com/news/201710/10143676.html

Apparently DQ3 was actually been developed using UE4 as a test before they start making DQ11.
They considered releasing it but they didn’t enough time for brushups and finishing it so they stopped there.
Yosuke Saito and Hokuto Okamoto (both are DQ11 producers) also said during the stage that they could release it as alpha version but the dev team’s opinions are in split so maybe or maybe not.

So yeah.
DQ3 remake is totally a possible option they could take this year.

Last edited:

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
This has been what I've been saying since Joker.

The first 4 AAA companies to have announced games for the switch are Sega (Joker), Square Enix (Erdrick), Bethesda (DOOMguy), Ubisoft (Better luck next time I guess, even though I still think Ezio is getting in).

I think Nintendo made a deal with AAA to bring games early on.
It's worth mentioning imo that Bethesda's biggest reveal for Switch early on, and in fact one of the most prominent Switch games in the early stages throughout marketing, was Skyrim.

Just a little thought for the Doomguy vs Dovahkiin debate.

Flyboy

Smash Hero
Honestly I wouldn't be massively surprised if the name Erdrick came up a lot because of an idea for him that then got turned into a Mii costume (which could have male and female versions) similar to Heihachi, maybe with someone else being a DQ rep instead.
I genuinely feel that Eight could be in the running if this is the case. That'd be pretty cool.

SSGuy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4871-4520-9643
This has been what I've been saying since Joker.

The first 4 AAA companies to have announced games for the switch are Sega (Joker), Square Enix (Erdrick), Bethesda (DOOMguy), Ubisoft (Better luck next time I guess, even though I still think Ezio is getting in).

I think Nintendo made a deal with AAA to bring games early on.
Wouldn't it seem possible for them to receive their AAA games but also get characters that majority of their fans wanted? Unless the idea is to advertise the games with the DLC.

TreeBranch

Smash Ace
As a massive Rhythm Heaven fan, I too am hoping for Eddy now even though I'd prefer Geno. It would suck to be deconfirmed now. I don't have any doubts about him though. I believe Geno's spirit took him out of the running, and Sora seems too hard to get. If it's not Erdrick, then I'd say another DQ character would be the most likely. Everything seems to be lining up for one

PrettyIvyPearls22

Smash Ace
I'm not gonna lie, but that would actually be the best Smash bamboozle ever, and I would give Square and Nintendo major props in order to outsource the leakers and insiders. All of this noise, about him being in only for it to turn out to being a Mii costume in the end, along with the real Square character. I mean, yeah, I would feel a bit of sting, but I would get over it eventually. I don't think it would hurt me as much as Isaac though, with being an Assist Trophy again.

Last edited:

Nemuresu

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3325-3200-4137
I've speculated this since the beginning, but apparently promotion is a horrible, soulless thing to do so I've kept quiet.

If Joker is a promotional representative then does that make him any less exciting? No, it doesn't; pomotional picks can be as exciting and noteworthy additions as any other character.
I agree with that. The main issue as to why people seem to be so concerned about it (myself included), is because the last time a promotional character happened was Corrin, so there's no seemingly good reason to trust Sakurai or Nintendo on that regard. Of course, if Joker is really promotional, then opinions could change. I'm actually confident that these promotional characters can be accepted just fine so long as they belong to brand-new franchises (first or third party, doesn't matter much which), because it's basically expanding the amount of worlds colliding in this already massive game, which is gonna attract many into it, compared to the "Ugh! Another goddamn Fire Emblem character!" situation that Sakurai risked into.

Not even that. A third party releases a game prominently on Nintendo Switch?

Congratulations. You made it to the negotiation table for Smash Bros. It's that simple.
That was just me going back one more time onto Reggie's comment on expanding the Switch's userbase. Attracting developers by including their characters in Smash and yadda yadda. But okay.

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
Honestly, that really broke my heart for Isaac's fans. I didn't even believe in the Grinch leak the same way a lot of other people did, just believing that we'd get Ken, Incineroar, and Shadow (ha... ha... weeps). That being said, when I saw that item, I really thought it was a GS reference, as well, and that it meant something. People have been wanting Isaac for as long as Geno, so that really tore my heart apart for them.

That being said, I realized something else that just makes me feel sick and I hope it isn't true. If on the very big off-chance, Erdrick doesn't pull through, that is going to sting. So many things are pointing for him, so I, as much as I support Geno and would rather the Square rep be him, am kinda... really rooting for Eddy now. I'd hate to see his fans get so close to the prize, only to get squashed. It's happened with the Chorus Kids, and in terms of perceived chances, it's happened to multiple other characters. Shadow the Hedgehog is the one that affected me, as I'm a massive Shadow/SA2 fan, and I was really sure that he was a lock. That feeling is awful.

I hope to goodness that this feeling doesn't strike Erdrick's fans, even if it means that a rep that I want, namely Geno, gets in. That's just not fair to them and it would just make me feel slimy. Erdrick, imo, really deserves this spot, and his fans deserve it, too. I don't want them to go through that pain people went through with Isaac, Shadow, and for differing reasons, Geno. It's awful.
I got burned by the deconfirmations of Shadow, Isaac, and Mach Rider.

Shadow: I was REALLY looking forward to play as him. In fact, I could already savor it. I'm not even that big a fan of him as a Sonic fan, but in the context lf Smash? I was hyped beyond all reason.

Isaac: Well, I've wanted him since the Pre-Brawl days. The franchise was still plenty fresh back then. Now it's pretty much dead. And I always love a good revival. This is why I was pretty surprised with Pit making it back. Like... I didn't even know that was his name. But yeah, I thought Golden Sun was pretty big. And somehow I knew that if Isaac didn't make it back then when the series was still fresh on everyone's minds, he wouldn't make it after. (Thus why I was so let down recently).

Mach Rider: Like I mentioned. I love revivals. Particularly retro revivals. They're always the most fun for me. I took a hit with Mach Rider's deconfirmation, but not as bad as Isaac or Shadow.

-

Now, I admit, Sakurai has delivered for me in the past.
My top 5 have been as follows:

Brawl: Crono, Mike, :ultsonic:, Megaman, Little Mac

WiiU/3DS: Mike, :ultmegaman:, :ultlittlemac:, Simon, Isaac,

Ultimate: DQ/Crono, Mike, :ultsimon:, :ultpokemontrainer:, Isaac

Not counting pleasant surprises like Pit, Ryu, Cloud, etc

PsySmasher

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW 8231-8239-3130
Rumor: A New Nintendo Direct Coming Up on January 10th.

Nothing’s confirmed yet, but we usually get a Direct sometime in mid-January, so this wouldn’t be too surprising if true.

I doubt we’ll get any new Smash info, but there will definitely be some interesting announcements.

Luigi The President

Smash Hero

Nothing’s confirmed yet, but we usually get a Direct sometime in mid-January, so this wouldn’t be too surprising if true.

I doubt we’ll get any new Smash info, but there will definitely be some interesting announcements.
HOOGH

D

Deleted member

At most there will be info for Joker and Plant. Doubt we'll get another reveal so soon, but possible.

Nemuresu

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3325-3200-4137

"Gaming Intel"
Hmm, I can't recall well if these guys were right about the last two Directs or so. I think they said there'd be two Directs (a Smash focused one and a general one later), but memory isn't working for me on that.

Nazyrus

Smash Champion

Yeah i almost feel tempted to tell them "no **** captain obvious" lol. This is way too obvious to happen in January (it's been like… only one year where it didn't happen, every other year it always happens). I do think we might/could get something smash related btw.

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
"Gaming Intel"
Hmm, I can't recall well if these guys were right about the last two Directs or so. I think they said there'd be two Directs (a Smash focused one and a general one later), but memory isn't working for me on that.
So what they meant by their second Direct was the Nintendo Live event. They apologized for this.
That was the first time they've been wrong in recent memory iirc.

D

Deleted member

"Gaming Intel"
Reading up on their article, they claim that their source for this correctly predicted the dates of previous directs, which looking through their site seems to be true.

Ovaltine

Smash Master
Yeah i almost feel tempted to tell them "no **** captain obvious" lol. This is way too obvious to happen in January (it's been like… only one year where it didn't happen, every other year it always happens). I do think we might/could get something smash related btw.
If we get anything Smash-related, I'm sure it'll be Mii costume DLC or something, along with PP's actual release date and a tiny, "We're working on it, pals," update on Joker. Maybe stuff on spirit events, too? I dunno. That's probably the limit of it, though.

D

Deleted member

Funnily enough, I saw a 4chan post last Thursday that provided arguments for why Ezio was likely. It really got me thinking about him in smash. At this point with Erdrick, I reached the acceptance stage a while ago. I can appreciate his inclusion and his merits, and I’m happy for the DQ fans who have contributed to discussion in the thread, even if I do want Geno.

Oh and if there’s a direct in January, I don’t think there will be a reveal. Feels too soon, and I imagine Nintendo will want to put less focus on Smash this year in terms of marketing and promote other titles.

Last edited by a moderator:

Nazyrus

Smash Champion
If we get anything Smash-related, I'm sure it'll be Mii costume DLC or something, along with PP's actual release date and a tiny, "We're working on it, pals," update on Joker. Maybe stuff on spirit events, too? I dunno. That's probably the limit of it, though.
I would definitely like to see a render artwork of Joker at least, which would mean also his pose for the amiibo in the future. Plus i'm super intrigued to see how he will look in 3D lol

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
Funnily enough, I saw a 4chan post a week or so ago that provided arguments for why Ezio was likely. It really got me thinking about him in smash. At this point with Erdrick, I reached the acceptance stage a while ago. I can appreciate his inclusion and his merits, and I’m happy for the DQ fans who have contributed to discussion in the thread, even if I do want Geno.

Oh and if there’s a direct in January, I don’t think there will be a reveal. Feels too soon, and I don’t imagine Nintendo will want to put less focus on Smash this year in terms of marketing and promote other titles.
See I thought TGA would be really soon as well.

...then we got Joker.

Why would Nintendo want to put any less focus when they got 5 DLC characters they gotta sell?

I'm not saying we're gonna get any reveals, because, well, turns out whenever I want something, it won't happen. But I do think that they have less time then we seem to realize to market and reveal and release 4 more DLC characters with a very strict deadline.

PsySmasher

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW 8231-8239-3130
"Gaming Intel"
The 2nd Direct ended up being the Nintendo Live event.

But beyond that, they’ve been pretty spot on in the past, so it wouldn’t be weird if it’s true.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

...then we got Joker.

Why would Nintendo want to put any less focus when they got 5 DLC characters they gotta sell?

I'm not saying we're gonna get any reveals, because, well, turns out whenever I want something, it won't happen. But I do think that they have less time then we seem to realize to market and reveal and release 4 more DLC characters with a very strict deadline.
Joker is fair, but I think the difference is that TGA is a HUGE audience, so even if it’s soon you gotta reveal a characeter just to have eyes on it. This is shown with a compromise of Joker having no gameplay. About the focus thing, Nintendo’s big marketing push this year was all about Smash, and let’s go to a very lesser extent. When you place a huge focus on something, other projects will inevitably get less attention. I dont think Nintendo would want to heavily push Smash for 2019 as well, so it would make sense to spread out reveals more so attention is divided. Think about it this way, in 2019 there’s E3, TGA, and potentially even EVO all as avenues to reveal a character, alongside a direct obviously. That’s 4 spaces. If the January direct is a mini, then it would make sense to have no new character, cause what’s the point.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Talks about how Isaac fans made them believe things but you honestly can't blame them for the item, it looked exactly the same as the growth sprout icon from Dark Dawn. The Grinch leak at the same time did not help.
On the topic of the Grinch Leak, I'm kind of surprised we all just dropped it. Anyone else curious how they did it? They caused multiple companies to panic so it's not likely that anyone will come forward anytime soon but, still, probably one of the most elaborate ruses in gaming history.

WaddleMatt

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW 5950 1333 3717
On the topic of the Grinch Leak, I'm kind of surprised we all just dropped it. Anyone else curious how they did it? They caused multiple companies to panic so it's not likely that anyone will come forward anytime soon but, still, probably one of the most elaborate ruses in gaming history.
The theory that mariotehplumber comissioned the art and set it up seems the most plausible but who knows.

D

Deleted member

If you think about it, whoever made the grinch leak was super ****ing lucky. They had no idea that the wendy’s video would come out or how the companies would respond.

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
Joker is fair, but I think the difference is that TGA is a HUGE audience, so even if it’s soon you gotta reveal a characeter just to have eyes on it. This is shown with a compromise of Joker having no gameplay. About the focus thing, Nintendo’s big marketing push this year was all about Smash, and let’s go to a very lesser extent. When you place a huge focus on something, other projects will inevitably get less attention. I dont think Nintendo would want to heavily push Smash for 2019 as well, so it would make sense to spread out reveals more so attention is divided. Think about it this way, in 2019 there’s E3, TGA, and potentially even EVO all as avenues to reveal a character, alongside a direct obviously. That’s 4 spaces. If the January direct is a mini, then it would make sense to have no new character, cause what’s the point.
I mean...I just don't think I can agree. They have shown a heavy want to push Ultimate as much as possible. It's not gonna take the fore-front like it did for 2018 but they are doing this DLC pass knowing the majority of the characters will be released in 2019 and must be marketed heavily as such.

I don't know why the Direct would be a Mini, unless that's some January tradition?

2nd reveal: Direct
3rd: E3
4th: EVO
5th: TGA

Is this so unlikely?

Nicnac

Smash Ace
Speaking of the Grinch Leak, how many people do you think worked on it? A few posts on Reddit show an unbelievable amount of work went into the leak, so I think it's more likely several people worked on it.

Nazyrus

Smash Champion

...then we got Joker.

Yeah I'm not saying we're gonna get any reveals, because, well, turns out whenever I want something, it won't happen. But I do think that they have less time then we seem to realize to market and reveal and release 4 more DLC characters with a very strict deadline.
Yeah this is why i'm somewhat hopeful and would not surprised to believe myself that we could actually get a reveal or something. They DO want to sell that season pass after all, and if we are getting characters like joker revealed, that ensure the sales even without gameplay showing, i don't think there are any limits to when they reveal them. The sooner they keep the interest on selling them the better, it's not really gonna make much difference to announce them later if the effect due their impact will be the same.

Nemuresu

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3325-3200-4137
Someone on 4Chan was able to track the Chorus Men render used in the fake, but outside of that, no one seems to care about it.

D

Deleted member

I mean...I just don't think I can agree. They have shown a heavy want to push Ultimate as much as possible. It's not gonna take the fore-front like it did for 2018 but they are doing this DLC pass knowing the majority of the characters will be released in 2019 and must be marketed heavily as such.

I don't know why the Direct would be a Mini, unless that's some January tradition?

2nd reveal: Direct
3rd: E3
4th: EVO
5th: TGA

Is this so unlikely?
I think it’s a mini cause last year, the exact same thing happened with a direct in September follow by a mini in January. The big directs tend to be fairly spaced out, so it makes sense. You have a direct in March, E3, and one in September. So there’s usually a 6 month gap between directs ignoring e3. As for the pushing Smash, obviously they’re gonna still want to push the game and the DLC, but by spacing out reveals a bit more and giving minis room to breath, you allow the spotlight to be on other projects.

TreeBranch

Smash Ace
Someone on 4Chan was able to track the Chorus Men render used in the fake, but outside of that, no one seems to care about it.
Woah, I'd like to see that if true. Is it possible it was one made after the leak surfaced, as I know someone on smashboards recreated it
Edit:

Last edited:

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
GamingIntel was totally wrong about N64 Mini.
To be fair, the N64 mini is another case of "Everyone got baited for Metroid Prime at the VGA" by Nintendo.
All insiders and their grand mothers said it would be revealed.
It didn't.

However, for Direct dates, they were HIGHLY accurate probably the best one to get the Direct dates correct so far

Nemuresu

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3325-3200-4137
Woah, I'd like to see that if true. Is it possible it was one made after the leak surfaced, as I know someone on smashboards recreated it
Wait someone made a recreation? Because if so, then maybe I assumed wrong and just bought into something false. But anyways, here it is:

D

Deleted member

Gaming Intel was 100% accurate up until the grinch leak period, where they said two directs in November (kinda became true) and no Incineroar in the Nivemebr direct. They also said n64 mini. Other than that, their Direct dates tend to be accurate.

TreeBranch

Smash Ace
Wait someone made a recreation? Because if so, then maybe I assumed wrong and just bought into something false. But anyways, here it is:
Huh, maybe that's it. I don't know why they wouldn't just make one from scratch though considering they did it for the others and these seem the easiest to draw
Edit: The tie seems too short and there are probably other inconsistencies I'm missing. Probably just another recreation. It's pretty neat though

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

N64 mini is something that I hardly see happening. Considering N64 onward multiplayer games were mostly 4 player focused it would make the console pretty expensive. Plus N64 emulation is wonky.

Jovahexeon Joranvexeon

Smash Champion

Anyone else seen this leak to go with it?
https://www.ign.com/boards/threads/nintendo-direct-1-10-19-leak.455268011/

Fake as it's looking to be.....

Last edited:
Top Bottom