• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[SPOILER ALERT] - The Sevens Squares. - A Square-Enix general support threads.

Who do you think is the most likely possible Square-Enix Newcomer? (Two Choices possibles)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

3DSNinja

Smash Lord
Honestly, Why is everyone trusting leakers again? Honestly I don't think Erdrick is gonna happen because A. No new info for a while. B. The whole "Erdrick reveal at Jump Festa" was complete bologna. C. How much work it would take to get him. D. The fact that Nintendo probably won't want to associate with the composer for Dragon Quest because of you know why.

D

Deleted member

Honestly, Why is everyone trusting leakers again? Honestly I don't think Erdrick is gonna happen because A. No new info for a while. B. The whole "Erdrick reveal at Jump Festa" was complete bologna. C. How much work it would take to get him. D. The fact that Nintendo probably won't want to associate with the composer for Dragon Quest because of you know why.
A: In regards to what?
B: How does that matter? They can just reveal him in a Direct or something.
C: It's really not that much. It's negotiating with a grand total of three individuals and one company.
D: The fact is that they very likely don't care. They've worked closely with Enix and eventually SE for decades publishing and promoting the series on their consoles and I doubt that they would stop that just because of one ****ty person.

Jovahexeon Joranvexeon

Smash Champion
honestly wouldn't be surprised with the possibility of Erdrick making it pretty far in before ultimately being scrapped, too, due to hassle.
Hmm. I'll admit, if he was cut from the game mid-development, it could explain how and why he'd be annouced not too far from Joker if they have assets still.

3DSNinja

Smash Lord
In general. Other then people saying "He's in" we have nothing. Compare this to Kencineroar where we were given the direct AND 2 AT'z in said direct.

D

Deleted member

In general. Other then people saying "He's in" we have nothing. Compare this to Kencineroar where we were given the direct AND 2 AT'z in said direct.
I think what makes people trust in it so much is the sheer number of people backing them, including the only person who leaked Cloud for Smash 4. I also recall someone claiming (I think it may have been Polar but I'm not sure) that they knew the most details about them.

Last edited by a moderator:

3DSNinja

Smash Lord
cloud.was leaked a couple of days before he came out. this is months in advance. SE wouldn't let this happen. Unless it is leakbait for the real char.

PsySmasher

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW 8231-8239-3130
I think what makes people trust in it so much is the sheer number of people backing them, including the only person who leaked Cloud for Smash 4. I also recall someone claiming (I think it may have been Polar but I'm not sure) that they knew the most details about them.
While there are many people backing him, that doesn’t necessarily mean that Erdrick’s actual chances have gone up.

His perceived chances have definitely gone up, but we still have very limited, tangible evidence as outsiders.

So as of right now, I do see why 3DSNinja 3DSNinja is hesitant on Erdrick.

But to be fair, it wouldn’t be surprising if Erdrick is the real character since so many people are talking about him (although that could easily mean the opposite as well).

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

cloud.was leaked a couple of days before he came out. this is months in advance. SE wouldn't let this happen. Unless it is leakbait for the real char.
Do you think the plan for Cloud happened at the last minute? These deals take time to come to a full conclusion on all ends. It's not like they decide who gets in a few days before a Direct.

3DSNinja

Smash Lord
I mean that no one knew about cloud until a few days prior to his reveal. why would we know am if Erdrick months in advance. It's not logical.

D

Deleted member

I mean that no one knew about cloud until a few days prior to his reveal. why would we know am if Erdrick months in advance. It's not logical.
Because, like I said, these deals don't just happen at an instant. It's not impossible for someone to have gotten some info out from it.

3DSNinja

Smash Lord
Still waiting shorter tho. I was a bit off but still. One month between at least 4. Simply not logical.

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
I understand where the skepticism comes from. I mean, yes. At the end of the day, there's still no palpable proof. And we go from word of mouth and text leaks (from albeit credible sources) to form our opinion on the matter.
So it's alright to not believe. Heck. Although I believe it, I also believe a deal can change at the last minute, and they might scrap the character altogether.

So I'm doing my best to keep my expectations in check. And I don't blame anyone for sticking to their guns in not believing it.
I mean dang... ISAAC? Rathalos hint, music, "Golden Sun item", and Grinch Leak mural? That's as close as we've come to having a character included (in our heads) only for the rug to be pulled out from under us.

I know we've had some more leaks about Erdrick these past few days... but we're still not sure at what stage of development he was in when that particular piece of information was leaked.

TheSixthSaint

Smash Rookie
Here's a potential monkey wrench to throw into the speculation pile concerning that recent leak.
Vergeben commented on that leak, as well as offering a confirmation of somethin' he's heard in regards to an aspect that was mentioned on it, saying:
"I have been personally looking into this if anyone wants to know.

I will say one big thing that connects to what is already believed to be Erdrick by myself cuz of how much I have heard his name come up as being the Square Enix character.... and now there are more leakers outside of my sources & confidants that are publicly saying they have heard Erdrick too.... That is I have been told by two different sources that there are plans to announce a port / ports of previous Dragon Quest games which should come this year."
Looks like things just got (even more) interesting, huh?

Last edited:

Jovahexeon Joranvexeon

Smash Champion
Here's a potential monkey wrench to throw into the speculation pile concerning that recent leak.
Vergeben commented on that leak, as well as offering a confirmation of somethin' he's heard in regards to an aspect that was mentioned on it, saying:

Hmm. If amongst those ports is DQ3 in any shape or form, things could get interesting.

Even more so, if they announce a remake of DQ3 alongside such news.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

So he's saying that Erdrick will be announced alongside that or that that's what's been planned this whole time? Or are they just separate things?

D

Deleted member

I mean dang... ISAAC? Rathalos hint, music, "Golden Sun item", and Grinch Leak mural? That's as close as we've come to having a character included (in our heads) only for the rug to be pulled out from under us
I think that was more on the GS fanbase giving more meaning to some of the posted stuff rather than anything concrete. Rathalos was something that was pretty much MH reference.

Only hint I could see as a hint of GS was the trademark renewal.

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
Still waiting shorter tho. I was a bit off but still. One month between at least 4. Simply not logical.
Why is it not logical?

People knew about Simon as early as August if I recall correctly. While not as long, if Erdrick was indeed cut for base and moved to DLC (because that's totally a Square Enix move), it makes sense that people would know about him since then.

You can't just say "simply not logical" and provide little, if any evidence to back up that claim.
Honestly, Why is everyone trusting leakers again? Honestly I don't think Erdrick is gonna happen because
A. No new info for a while.
B. The whole "Erdrick reveal at Jump Festa" was complete bologna.
C. How much work it would take to get him.
D. The fact that Nintendo probably won't want to associate with the composer for Dragon Quest because of you know why.
I fixed the formatting for your post to make it easier to read. If you're going to give your argument in bullet points, separate them by line to make them easier to read. Anyways:

A: Not pertinent. Leaks aren't a constant stream, they're released in bits and pieces with gaps in between.
B: No one ever said that would happen, people just speculated it could happen.
C: It takes a lot of work to get any third party, and if Nintendo and Square want it, it'll happen. See my Square Enix Character Argument for how easy Dragon Quest's rights could be to obtain.
D: Nintendo has worked with the Dragon Quest series and its composer for years now, and they won't stop anytime soon. Stop using this to discredit Dragon Quest's chances because it's a non-issue.

You have yet to give a serious reason against Dragon Quest's inclusion. If you doubt the leaks that's okay, but there's plenty of reasons to believe our Square Enix character is a Dragon Quest character.

Last edited:

NoOtherPersona

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-4922-9697-9289
I think that was more on the GS fanbase giving more meaning to some of the posted stuff rather than anything concrete. Rathalos was something that was pretty much MH reference.

Only hint I could see as a hint of GS was the trademark renewal.
As I member of that thread I believe sadly that we were grasping and straws with the Rathalos thing but you can't really blame us for thinking what we thought

Last edited:

WaddleMatt

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW 5950 1333 3717
Talks about how Isaac fans made them believe things but you honestly can't blame them for the item, it looked exactly the same as the growth sprout icon from Dark Dawn. The Grinch leak at the same time did not help.

NoOtherPersona

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-4922-9697-9289
Talks about how Isaac fans made them believe things but you honestly can't blame them for the item, it looked exactly the same as the growth sprout icon from Dark Dawn. The Grinch leak at the same time did not help.
Just too many coincidences didn't help that we thought we'd get him in man those were some sad times but at least he's in the game this time haha

Ovaltine

Smash Master
Honestly, that really broke my heart for Isaac's fans. I didn't even believe in the Grinch leak the same way a lot of other people did, just believing that we'd get Ken, Incineroar, and Shadow (ha... ha... weeps). That being said, when I saw that item, I really thought it was a GS reference, as well, and that it meant something. People have been wanting Isaac for as long as Geno, so that really tore my heart apart for them.

That being said, I realized something else that just makes me feel sick and I hope it isn't true. If on the very big off-chance, Erdrick doesn't pull through, that is going to sting. So many things are pointing for him, so I, as much as I support Geno and would rather the Square rep be him, am kinda... really rooting for Eddy now. I'd hate to see his fans get so close to the prize, only to get squashed. It's happened with the Chorus Kids, and in terms of perceived chances, it's happened to multiple other characters. Shadow the Hedgehog is the one that affected me, as I'm a massive Shadow/SA2 fan, and I was really sure that he was a lock. That feeling is awful.

I hope to goodness that this feeling doesn't strike Erdrick's fans, even if it means that a rep that I want, namely Geno, gets in. That's just not fair to them and it would just make me feel slimy. Erdrick, imo, really deserves this spot, and his fans deserve it, too. I don't want them to go through that pain people went through with Isaac, Shadow, and for differing reasons, Geno. It's awful.

Last edited:

ZelDan

Smash Master
As an Isaac fan, I was some what skeptical of the sprout item, and I was 50/50 on the rathalos pic. What really bolstered my hope was the Grinch Leak.

Now when I think back to those grinch leak times and the teamreal and teamfake stuff I wouldn't want to touch it with a 50 foot pole.

PsySmasher

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW 8231-8239-3130
Honestly, that really broke my heart for Isaac's fans. I didn't even believe in the Grinch leak the same way a lot of other people did, just believing that we'd get Ken, Incineroar, and Shadow (ha... ha... weeps). That being said, when I saw that item, I really thought it was a GS reference, as well, and that it meant something. People have been wanting Isaac for as long as Geno, so that really tore my heart apart for them.

That being said, I realized something else that just makes me feel sick and I hope it isn't true. If on the very big off-chance, Erdrick doesn't pull through, that is going to sting. So many things are pointing for him, so I, as much as I support Geno and would rather the Square rep be him, am kinda... really rooting for Eddy now. I'd hate to see his fans get so close to the prize, only to get squashed. It's happened with the Chorus Kids, and in terms of perceived chances, it's happened to multiple other characters. Shadow the Hedgehog is the one that affected me, as I'm a massive Shadow/SA2 fan, and I was really sure that he was a lock. That feeling is awful.

I hope to goodness that this feeling doesn't strike Erdrick's fans, even if it means that a rep that I want, namely Geno, gets in. That's just not fair to them and it would just make me feel slimy. Erdrick, imo, really deserves this spot, and his fans deserve it, too. I don't want them to go through that pain people went through with Isaac, Shadow, and for differing reasons, Geno. It's awful.
Same here. Although I don’t believe most of the stuff surrounding Erdrick justifies his inclusion, I do hope that his fans don’t go through the same thing the Isaac/Shadow fans had to.

If the Square rep turns out to be anyone else, then I think this may be one of the biggest “jebaited” moments in Smash history.

Last edited:

OpticalBlast

Smash Journeyman
So, Verge is saying we're getting some DQ ports? Cool ****.

Still highly doubting the Ryu/Steve/Doomguy leak but I guess that helps it a bit.

Cloud was leaked a day before his reveal. (Leaked on the 12th and Revealed on the 13th)

He was released a month later on December 15th. No one had any idea about Cloud.
Yeah, I was misreading; thought he was announced on Dec. 15. My bad lol

shocktarts17

Smash Ace
As an Isaac fan, I was some what skeptical of the sprout item, and I was 50/50 on the rathalos pic. What really bolstered my hope was the Grinch Leak.

Now when I think back to those grinch leak times and the teamreal and teamfake stuff I wouldn't want to touch it with a 50 foot pole.
lol I was the exact opposite of you. I was like 90% the Rathalos picture wasn't anything, and I had initially approached the Grinch leak with skepticism but it was the sprout that eventually sold me on the whole thing lol it looked like the grow icon right when Isaac was part of the rumor so I thought he was in which made me think the Grinch thing might be true.

D

Deleted member

Im not blaming them, and various situations seemed on Isaac's favor(fan polls, the trademark with a lot of things included, and even if I was skeptical of it, the infamous fake mural leak that stole many Christmases). But I think a in a few instances like the Rathalos pic people just needed to stop, take a deep breath, and analyze if the situation had any meaning before jumping the gun.

I feel that even with the leakers backing him up at the moment, if the Erdrick leak becomes a bust it wont be as bad of a situation. DQ has the fortune to still be receiving games which sadly is something that many franchises dont have the luxury right now, Smash has been released, and there isn't anything else to indicate Erdrick so speculation cannot go that far.

Nemuresu

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3325-3200-4137
You know, there's something about the DOOM leak brought to my attention that I didn't think about before: Nintendo intentionally promoting third-party companies and games. While everyone's been debating whether we'll get just third-party characters or just promotional Nintendo characters, nobody's been talking about that middle point, or at least, not to a high discussion. Them going like: "Hey :insert video game company here:, thanks for releasing your game on our console! Would you like to have your character on Smash Bros. while you're at it?" is something I can see happening with their approach to other companies through the Switch.

Untouch

Smash Master
You know, there's something about the DOOM leak brought to my attention that I didn't think about before: Nintendo intentionally promoting third-party companies and games. While everyone's been debating whether we'll get just third-party characters or just promotional Nintendo characters, nobody's been talking about that middle point, or at least, not to a high discussion. Them going like: "Hey :insert video game company here:, thanks for releasing your game on our console! Would you like to have your character on Smash Bros. while you're at it?" is something I can see happening with their approach to other companies through the Switch.
This has been what I've been saying since Joker.

The first 4 AAA companies to have announced games for the switch are Sega (Joker), Square Enix (Erdrick), Bethesda (DOOMguy), Ubisoft (Better luck next time I guess, even though I still think Ezio is getting in).

I think Nintendo made a deal with AAA to bring games early on.

Luigi The President

Smash Hero

The first 4 AAA companies to have announced games for the switch are Sega (Joker), Square Enix (Erdrick), Bethesda (DOOMguy), Ubisoft (Better luck next time I guess, even though I still think Ezio is getting in).

LOL if ****ing Ezio Auditore made his way into this ****
One of those characters I simply would be unable to get mad at

Ovaltine

Smash Master
requiescat in pace, rayman

(naw really though I love Rayman AND Ezio and I'd be really happy to see either one of them in, holy moly

so no offense to Rayman's fans, I'm a huge one myself y'all)

Nemuresu

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3325-3200-4137

I think it'd be more like "throwing a bone to the dog" deal to me, as a way to give third-parties some motivation to keep releasing games on Switch.

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
I've speculated this since the beginning, but apparently promotion is a horrible, soulless thing to do so I've kept quiet.

If Joker is a promotional representative then does that make him any less exciting? No, it doesn't; pomotional picks can be as exciting and noteworthy additions as any other character.
I think it'd be more like "throwing a bone to the dog" deal to me, as a way to give third-parties some motivation to keep releasing games on Switch.
Not even that. A third party releases a game prominently on Nintendo Switch?

Congratulations. You made it to the negotiation table for Smash Bros. It's that simple.

Flyboy

Smash Hero
Ezio is one of those ridiculous picks just crazy enough to work and I can't lie, I'd lose my mind. There is nothing not hilarious about the idea of Ezio in Smash.

Top Bottom