• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

SOVA, ITS 2010! Step ya Melee game up baby! <3

toasty

Smash Hero
Norfolk/Virginia Beach, VA - IT'S SOVA, BABY! &lt;
LOL no no I just need hours of Fox dittos...I realized the only character I can do okay with in MMs is Ness because he's the only character that I can autopilot well with and I don't have the right mentality when it comes to playing to win MMs [so I typically go into autopilot/friendly-ish mode]

toasty

Smash Hero
we need more people for that to EVER work.

What we need are MORE TOURNEY ORGANIZERS.

Cmon kids, be ambitious, it's not that hard. If you go to a college, you can easily get the school to let you use a common room or a conference room or whatever for a day on the weekend [and usually for free!] and if you frequent a gamestore you can talk them into letting you host a tourney.

And then you gotta spread the word, make lists of setups, make sure you can get people to bring setups, ESPECIALLY TVS, etc etc

I don't have the time/energy/motivation to do this **** anymore because I've got tons of outside stresses right now.

So if people want more tourneys, step up to the plate, get a GOOD location [do NOT settle. you want the tourney to be good otherwise people won't come to your events anymore.] and do work.

At the absolute least, I can spread the word to a few of my OOS/non-SoVa buddies to help increase the turnout. If I'm able to attend, I can even help RUN it [I kind of enjoy doing that :)]

rhan

Smash Hero
we need more people for that to EVER work.

What we need are MORE TOURNEY ORGANIZERS.

Cmon kids, be ambitious, it's not that hard. If you go to a college, you can easily get the school to let you use a common room or a conference room or whatever for a day on the weekend [and usually for free!] and if you frequent a gamestore you can talk them into letting you host a tourney.

And then you gotta spread the word, make lists of setups, make sure you can get people to bring setups, ESPECIALLY TVS, etc etc

I don't have the time/energy/motivation to do this **** anymore because I've got tons of outside stresses right now.

So if people want more tourneys, step up to the plate, get a GOOD location [do NOT settle. you want the tourney to be good otherwise people won't come to your events anymore.] and do work.

At the absolute least, I can spread the word to a few of my OOS/non-SoVa buddies to help increase the turnout. If I'm able to attend, I can even help RUN it [I kind of enjoy doing that :)]
Us kids are trying to get money n such for a maybe a potential tourney this Summer or when ever we can. IV can easily get a venue in Williamsburg, but we're trying to find a closer spot. We might be able to have some kind of place to stay at. When this happens everyone will be noticed. Just give us some time and we'll run something fun for everyone. :)

Of course it won't take place any time near Genesis. Unless a large majority of SoVA peeps aren't going. Then yeah....

Anyway we'll keep people updated on what's going on.

D0N

Smash Ace
I got accepted to study abroad in Australia!!!!

Im gonna meet some new mates!

and anyone playing SF4 this weekend?

D0N

Smash Ace
yea I wanted to go to that but I have to be in Greensboro NC on the 21st for a mandatory meeting about studying abroad. If Blackula does weekly or bi-weekly things ill be at a few, possobly with another fairly good player from my school.

toasty

Smash Hero
the thing about MD/VA having tourneys EVERY WEEK [which they actually DIDN'T until the Brawl scene exploded there] is that they have SOOO many players in their area that whoever is hosting a tourney can get away with a substantial number of regulars not showing up and still have a decent sized tourney, which will still be bigger than any monthly we put together.

I stress this because in order to have weeklies, there has to be a guaranteed spot [which I don't have just yet], guaranteed hosts [NO ONE in MD/VA hosts EVERY week. Most don't even hold tourneys every other week guaranteed], AND there has to be proper promotion EVERY week (to draw in new faces), presence of sufficient setups EVERY week. Et. ****ing. Cetera.

Unless you want the same 8-10 people who won't even always show up EVERY week [it's more like 6 who would], and if you only want an average of 2-3 setups at these "weeklies", then I don't know what to tell you.

Seriously guys, it's a numbers game.

We can't even organize weekly SMASHFESTS.

We simply don't have the community to support these ambitions.

This is pure simple FACT, and not negativity.

Good ****, Terrence.

toasty

Smash Hero
Pakman I would talk to Tope. He lives RIGHT by 95 and staying in SoVa will, ironically, NOT get you closer to where you need to be even though we're right by NC.

*shatters dreams of Scar/Pakman fanboys XD*

besides, you'll get a beast *** warmup there! And you might be able to convince DOLL to play against you [he always plays me in friendlies when I'm there so he'll probably oblige for you two...unless he's just thoroughly consumed with WoW :(]

The only other option is to stay with someone in Williamsburg [juuust outside the reach of SoVa] and the only person I can think of who lives there is Crystalnite so I would PM either him or Tope about housing :)

ttocs

Smash Rookie
If I didn't live in Kempsville I'd be making a solid effort to play a lot more

I just don't want to spend an hour+ on the road in a day, like, ever just to play smash :/

that's another thing MD/Nova has. proximity and convenience.

we're all over the ****ing place down here.

however, if any of you lads would like to play poker I'll travel as far as I need to.

D0N

Smash Ace
by "mandatory meeting about studying abroad" you mean "playing melee at herb" right?
lol id go watch if i could spare the time since im right there anyway, but id rather not play and get 4 stocked by everyone.

Nice...Hopefully I'll find some worth in this life
Dont sound so negative. You will get your famous rags to riches story.

D0N- i'll let you know when the next one is. :D
Cool. Thanks:)!

And toasty is right, nobody shows up and we have 12-16 man brackets on good days. We have to work on promoting the scene more than anything else, maybe with some kind of promotional tourney with a prize where entry is free. Everyone likes free stuff.

(Thanks Toasty)

OMG H4X

Smash Journeyman
NNID
rustytotallypwns
my house is for sale right now, so we dont have too much crap in it, i might be able to set it up so we could have a tourney here every once in a while. but ill need some help, seeing ive never hosted one before.

just a thought...

AlcyoNite

Smash Champion
Can anyone in SoVa House me and Scar for the friday before Herb1? Preferably someone who lives kind of close to 95.
Pakman I would talk to Tope. He lives RIGHT by 95 and staying in SoVa will, ironically, NOT get you closer to where you need to be even though we're right by NC.

*shatters dreams of Scar/Pakman fanboys XD*

besides, you'll get a beast *** warmup there! And you might be able to convince DOLL to play against you [he always plays me in friendlies when I'm there so he'll probably oblige for you two...unless he's just thoroughly consumed with WoW :(]

The only other option is to stay with someone in Williamsburg [juuust outside the reach of SoVa] and the only person I can think of who lives there is Crystalnite so I would PM either him or Tope about housing :)
Tope is best. Im in high school, but Knightpraetor lives 15 mins from my place with roommates, so he would probably be more available (and literally able to stay up playing friendlies).

toasty

Smash Hero
/facepalm

can't believe I forgot about KP XD

yeah Pakman, PM Knightpraetor or Tope :)

As for a promotional tourney, I'll see what I can about talking to one of the ODU clubs.

I think they're allowed to have "door prizes" at meetings or events and the school puts up money for the prizes to help promote the club and sow the seeds for that club to generate money whether it be then or in the future.

This could be good =D

Edit: word...sounds good Rusty. I can give you pointers and such if I'm not able to make it and I'm sure others could help actually run it :)

knightpraetor

Smash Champion
toasty come play me sometime next week like thursday after work; i may have failed a test then, in which case i'll need cheering up...or friday if that's better. I can play tomorrow as well, but i'd prefer to study.

People should visit me to smash more; i hate to say it, but i'm a B- rank player just in this region, which would have been equivalent to C or D up at revival of melee

toasty

Smash Hero
to put things in perspective, my lack of consistency with tech skill DESTROYED me at RoM. People could see my mindgames and that I COULD do technical stuff, but the fact that I wasn't on point got me *****. 3rd seed in my pool was pretty appropriate. Which means I was like tied for 96th or something with 32 other people [32 pools].

Ether

Smash Ace
Sunday is good, toasty. I don't know what time yet, cuz I like sleeping in, lol. O-NO, it'll probably just be a private practice session between me and toasty.

OMG H4X

Smash Journeyman
NNID
rustytotallypwns
so i think we need to advertise these tourneys at other places besides smashboards. im used to promoting shows for my band (selfish plug. what? slash does it.... myspace.com/folkthesystemband), so it cant be much different. we need to reach out to new people, cuz before i found this thread, i had no clue where any tourneys were, and i feel ive gotten so much better since.

just an idea, but we should make and post fliers at different game stores and comic book stores all over sova (i know cool stuff has a gamers notification board there). sure we may get some scrubs.... but well have more people and payout. yes its fact that not many people come out and thats why went cant have events all the time, but who knows who will show up if we advertise.

if we want our numbers to grow we cant just rely on this site. dare i say.... try to recruit kids from aib? i try to clue in everyone from sova i see on there (ones older than 9) and so far ones even posted here and was gunna to to blackGs. (hope everythings alright!)

Woot new guy for getting new kids interested!

im willing to print up fliers and start this up, anyone else down?

once again... just a thought....

oh and if anyones down to brawl sometime, let me know! i needs the practice

toasty

Smash Hero
hell yes Rusty this is exactly what I'm talkin about!!!

I didn't even KNOW about advanced Smash, let alone that people even PLAYED this game in tournaments, until O-NO came to ODU with BlackHeartLee and ***** everyone's **** with a DK/Zelda team WTF??? [actually they ***** us no matter who they used] and that tapped into a huge community at ODU willing to learn and get better [the Golden Days of ODU Smash were cut short when our game room got ***** and we were left with laggy TVs at a different and crappy location :( oh well, we were spoiled I guess haha] Even so, I don't think I actually cared about this game til some time after Ether came to ODU [it's about to hit the two year mark for me, as far as playing this game with the intent to win, not just do flashy stuff with Ness XD]

...but I digress...

getting new people in here is the best way to make a scene grow, which will inevitably increase attendance, skill [through frequent competitive play], and the level of competition in general.

Everyone was a scrub at some point [cue Kadaj: "*annoying smirk* except me yeahhh" <3<3<3] so it doesn't matter if they don't have much skill...

also, <3 Vince! =D

gah! SLASH I forgot to call you forever ago :(

OMG H4X

Smash Journeyman
NNID
rustytotallypwns
lol thanks enver! i think its more about advertizing then having them all the time. if the words out people will come.

toasty

Smash Hero
ETHER PM ME YOUR INFO!!!

good thing you don't live in the ghetto anymore so that I'm not stuck outside in your shady *** collection of apartment complexes wondering where the hell you live since you didn't tell me an apartment number and...OH WAIT YOU WEREN'T EVEN HOME!

but for real, PM me a number and your address, please. or call me

757 635 7806

I'll be sleeping in on Sunday as well so afternoon is perfectly fine for me :)

AlcyoNite

Smash Champion
GET ***** JIM CRAMER + CNBC:
http://www.thedailyshow.com/video/index.jhtml?videoId=221516&title=jim-cramer-unedited-interview

yeah just make sure you see all three parts of the unedited interview...like WOWWWW get *****. This is way more serious than it is funny, and it has some explicit language so it's NSFW unless your boss is into that kinda thing
That's the most serious I've ever seen Jon Stewart (or Cramer come to think of it). I watched mad money a few days ago and was like "are people seriously supposed to get financial advice from this?" But then I just figured his role was primarily to mock ceo's and wall street; looks like I was wrong.

CStick

Smash Lord
Ether: pm me your new address, too. I'd like to stop buy after work sometime if you guys would be smashing until the late night. I could probably get there around 8ish if all goes well.

Top Bottom