• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Soulcalibur V

OmegaXXII

Fire Emblem Lord/ Trophy Hunter
It seems like it's running on the same engine as SoulCalibur IV, so you probably won't have to worry about them cutting content to make room for the character creation system. They'll just change a few models and text bits and be done. Oh, and I hope they use SoulCalibur III's system of original moveset classes and character clone classes, rather than just clones.
I must admit, even though I downright dislike SC 3, the movesets were particularly good, though I to relearn them.

By the looks of it, Soul Calibur V looks good and promising, l just hope Namco does it right.

OmegaXXII

Can I ask, what's Soulcalibur's gameplay like compared to something like Tekken?

:phone:
well there are alot of differences between the two aside from one using weapons and the other being close up hand combat.

They are both great on their own terms.

SC is all about mastering and dodging horizontal and vertical attacks, as well as exploiting the timing as best as possible to brake/counter someone's attack.

Tekken is all about mastering the juggling combos, *using perfect timing to counter someone's attack or *throw, learning the opponent's weaknesses of his attacks, and finding the best moves to use when the opponent is on a wall to maximize damage.

Basically Tekken is more a combo style of play while Soul Calibur is more distant maneuvering.

Masmasher@

Smash Lord
Cleveland, Ohio! my homeplace but for now living i
i actually like that IV had actual combos and decent okusume aside from a few hit box issues and manuevrablity IV was really good

soul caliburs 2 gameplay while faced paced and fun has always been overrated
if they can find someway to combine the two then sc V would be really fun

always been a fan so i buy this no matter what

lmfao its been a long time since i used to play this series in the arcades

Lythium

underachiever
BRoomer
The problem that I have with SC's combo system is that they're pre-made. I want to be able to make up my own combos.

Also, what the heck is "okusume?"

finalark

SNORLAX
Also, what the heck is "okusume?"
I second this statement. I was with you until that.

Also, as for II being overrated, it is. But everything that's widely praised is overrated. I still think its the best in the franchise in terms of playability, balance and general fun factor.

That aside, I think that SC1 is more overrated than II.

OmegaXXII

Yea while Tekken has the ability to make a combo system your own, Soul Calibur limits what unique approaches you could take.

Okusume sounds like some japenese character lol..

Lore

Infinite Gravity
BRoomer
Wait, isn't this game going to be set YEARS after IV? Who else is ready for saggy Ivy? :urg:

But if this game has weapon master mode or is just simply as fun as II, this will be a day 1 buy.

finalark

SNORLAX
Wait, isn't this game going to be set YEARS after IV? Who else is ready for saggy Ivy? :urg:
WHY!? WHY WOULD YOU PUT THOSE IMAGES INTO MY MIND!? WHY!?

But if this game has weapon master mode or is just simply as fun as II, this will be a day 1 buy.
Hopefully the single player will be better than the ****ty little ten minute nonsense we had in SC4.

Masmasher@

Smash Lord
Cleveland, Ohio! my homeplace but for now living i
I think he means "okizeme," but I could be wrong.
yeah its okizeme
my bad i walked into that one i cant spell that word for snuff

anyways 2 is good but asides from the speed it really is overratted i think a balance of 4 and 2 could maker for the best sc yet

if you fixed the glaring hitbox issues and tracking issues of 4, kept its combo system
and kept the speed of 8 way run like 2 then youd have a good game

also they should keep the knockdown system from 4 so that you cant quick get up from everything like 2 that would make for a better oki system and more detail to how you tech.

maybe they could do something with air control too...

Lythium

underachiever
BRoomer
Okizeme is wake-up game.

It refers to the situation where one player is knocked down (laying on the ground), or getting up from a laying position, and the standing player attempts to keep their advantage.

Spire

III
BRoomer
I bet a Final Fantasy XIII-2 character will be in, either Lightning or Noel.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Interesting, for some bizarre reason I was under the assumption Ezio would be a playstation exclusive character

sakuraZaKi

The Ultimate Sore Loser ♡
I'm filling in for my mom at the inn we run~
NNID
taeZaKi
3DS FC
3754-7545-6675
I dunno, lol. As for me, I'm a bit skeptical on how I will personally like it. C. Creation has got me almost sold, actually, but whats holding me back is the unfamiliarity of the characters.

I'll get over it, lol.

D

Deleted member

this releases in like 10 days right? I'll probably pick it up

Master Xanthan

Smash Champion
I might just wait for a price drop. I don't really play fighting games much online mainly because I suck at fighting games. I just play when friends come over.

Shin Kaizoku

Smash Journeyman
I'm so skeptical as to whether or not I should buy this. I hate Ring Outs and I'm kind of a combo guy, but SC2 was great to me.

TL?

Smash Ace
I'm so skeptical as to whether or not I should buy this. I hate Ring Outs and I'm kind of a combo guy, but SC2 was great to me.
There are a few tekken style "endless stages" in 5, most will still have edges though so ring outs are definitely still part of the game. I'm a stubborn SC2 fan, I'll post here how fun this game is next week. :)

ryuu seika

Smash Master
Everyone seems to be suggesting that this will compare to 2. What have I missed that gives you lot such high expectations for it?

Don't get me wrong, I'd love if it actually did and I'll be getting it regardless as soon as I find a console to play it on but doesn't that seem a little over-optimistic?

Spire

III
BRoomer
Over-optimistic? It's not like SC2 is a gift from the gods. It's a pretty good fighting game and 3 and 4 were decent (the latter slightly less so). It's entirely possible that SC5 will be as good or better than SC2.

Disappointed at axing Zasalamel. Don't care much for α Patroklos & Ω Pyrrha yet, but maybe they'll prove interesting once the game is out.

I love Elysium and Kilik being gender split weapon masters.

...and as a last note, no idea why I thought a FFXIII-2 character was gonna be in.

Meru.

I like spicy food
NNID
Merudi
3DS FC
0963-1622-2801

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
With the Wii U/3DS port rumors circling the news drain, anyone going to talk about possible guests?

Link? Marth? Isaac? Shulk? Elza?

Or maybe, they'll be stupid, and pick Mario?

Top Bottom