• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Soulcalibur V

Meru.

I like spicy food
NNID
Merudi
3DS FC
0963-1622-2801
@ my dear Brosuke

I partially agree. I find that fighting games should indeed concentrate on a solid versus mode, and since we do not always have a friend to play with, online has become more and more important. I would even go as far as saying that a good online mode is essential. SCV does not have to be criticized so harshly.

I personally do not hold single mode very high, however, IMO a good and a sufficient number of single player modes can make a fighting game much more enjoyable and it should not be neglected just so easily. I wanted to mention Blazblue as well, because its amazing story mode has made the game considerably better. Without it, it would be notably worse off. I'm considering buying BBCS:Extend, not only because of the improvements in gameplay, but also because of the additions in Story Mode. Single Player gives a game more lasting appeal and character, that includes fighting games.

IMO, fighting games now fall short of other games (such as shooters) because of the lack of options. Take recent Call of Duty games. Although I certainly dislike them, I can understand why one would like them: they contain so many modes in comparison to fighting games! Single player, co-op, mission which can be done alone as well as with other other player, online player... There's probably more.

Gameplay remains the most important aspect in fighting games and I would never want it to go at the cost of other features, but those features do make a game much better, even though the games does not revolve around it. This especially goes for Soul Calibur V, which actually used to have a very good story mode/single player (Edge Master <3), but now provides very little as far as story, character development or single player are concerned.

(Note that I do not own SCV (yet), this is just from what I have heard)

So what characters do you guys like using? Here's who I use: Cervantes, Pyrrah, ZWEI, Patroklos, Lexia, Hilde. Cervantes is my only returning main so right now he's my best character.
Since my main used to be Seung Mina, I was planning on using her, but for some reason Namco thought it a great idea to remove one of the most awesome characters ever. Sooo I intented on using her replacement and I expected her replacement to fulfill the following conditions anyway:

- Her replacement would be a girl
- Her replacing would not look like a dumb arse.

I thought the replacement of Seung Mina just had to be awesome, there was no other way. Somehow Namco still succeeded at making her replacement a boy AND look like a dumb arse. My dream has been shattered and the character Seung Mina has been destroyed :).

Having digressed, I'm probably going to dual-main Viola and Leixia.

:053:

#HBC | ZoZo

Shocodoro Blagshidect
I agree.

You can just go Killik and give him another costume though :x

Also, dat Raphael :3
I might pick up some other characters though. Hilde looked good, as did super saiyan Patroklos.

Flayl

Smash Hero
Thinking about making a Hua Mulan Leixia. Or maybe a Li Mu Bai wielding the Green Destiny male Leixia.

What would a soul calibur V Bowser look like? He threw axes in SMB1, maybe I should go with a fat Aeon lol

Meru.

I like spicy food
NNID
Merudi
3DS FC
0963-1622-2801
I agree.

You can just go Killik and give him another costume though :x
Kilik's fighting style is out. He now has all the male's fighing styles instead of his own. They obviously just wanted to cater to the fans by adding him.

I would have to make a costume for Xiba but Xiba is like 10% Mina 40% Kilik 50% his own gay dance. Besides, it's still not the same.

*cry* :( :( :(

Lots of Leixia buddies here though I see?

Flayl

Smash Hero
Found out 2 hours ago you can't change body types for default fighters. No fat Aeon for me :sad:

smashbot226

Smash Master
So other than blatantly obvious balance problems in the roster and... well, THREE GODDAMN MIMICS... gameplay is kinda nice and create-a-soul is fun. I managed to make Human Aeon, Tiger Woods, and an original character name Mr. Tiddlywin.

Krynxe

I can't pronounce it either
3DS FC
4511-0472-1729
So I accidentally messed up my input for a critical edge with Yoshimitsu

And did harikiri on myself

and then won anyways

My friend ragequit after that, since he was at almost full health when it happened :3

Krynxe

3DS FC
4511-0472-1729
Even though I'm still a bit salty from the character roster decisions I'm still really, really, enjoying the game.

Anyone feel the same way?
Idk, I'm pretty extremely happy that star wars is gone from soul calibur.

On a side note, this game is amazing. :3

Flayl

Smash Hero
Hey, can someone tell me what the spin-on-hit attacks, like Leixia's :stick6:B.A are used for?

Flayl

Smash Hero
Well the frame advantage is so small that I wouldn't consider it such. But maybe it is?

sakuraZaKi

The Ultimate Sore Loser ♡
I'm filling in for my mom at the inn we run~
NNID
taeZaKi
3DS FC
3754-7545-6675
*sigh*

Is it just me or does Namco freakin' make me rage in Arcade mode? The AI even on normal just reads everything to the last frame or something D;

This applies to Tekken too, lol.

I swear, I finish stage 5 at 5-7 mins. then the fight with Nightmare goes to 20+ mins. and when I finally defeat him, it's a straight 3 wins.

Krynxe

3DS FC
4511-0472-1729
Well I know for like Tira, her 22a spins the opponent on hit (if that's what you're talking about) and you can very quickly input a critical edge or something else for a guaranteed hit. But that moves makes them spin a full circle like 2-3 times, so you have time to start up a combo or even grab. Idk how effective that move with Leixia is though, so I can't say. I would say try a critical edge.

TL?

Smash Ace
I only use lexia sometimes so this might be wrong, but the spin on that move seems to be for setups instead of combos.

Ugg

Smash Champion
Well the frame advantage is so small that I wouldn't consider it such. But maybe it is?
It doesn't really symbolize anything, really, just a small frame advantage on hit but not enough to combo off of. Maybe it has something to do with how she actually spins the opponent if you hit it off of a 2B+K or 44(A), etc.

If anyone plays on Xbox, shoot me an add: Ugg VI. I'll play whenever I'm on.

Flayl

Smash Hero
Ok after doing some testing that spin-on-hit attack does not combo into anything even on counter hit. Its only use is setting up the opponent so he uses a turning attack instead of a normal one if you step the other way right after (also it'll make vertical attacks miss) or to get them to guard.

IMO there are better options for doing just that, but maybe time will prove me wrong.

I'm a PS3 guy myself btw

Savon

Smash Ace
I do not consider myself to be particularly amazing at SCV. I played a lot of smash and marvel and that carried over well to this game. I think I play a decent Astaroth so I decided to play some games to test my abilities online. I went 6-0 and was kicked from the lobby or at least kicked off of my win streak. Anybody who plays Asty knows how reliant he is on grabs, but the people in the lobby insisted that I was playing "cheap" and spamming. Amongst the moves I spammed were "A+G, B+G" His critical edge grab. I know my notations are off but his 22B but the ABK brave edge version into his 28B+G.

I hate playing people who complain about things that are not complain worthy. Majority of his grabs can be broken, and he can be dodged and pressured terribly in close range combat. ANyways I hope that when I play later I have a better experience.

Also, what are the best punishes for astaroth?

Ryu Shimazu

Smash Master
NNID
Ryushimmy
3DS FC
5000-5048-5681
Haven't played SC since III, and I see Taki is gone, but Natsu is her replacement? Well I like Natsu/Ezio/Yoshi to say the least, though I suck pretty bad atm. I feel like MK9, I might can get decent at it since it's not too difficult XD

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
About online play: can people disconnect right as the battle's over to avoid their rank being affected? I HATED this in MK: Arcade Kollection. I would beat people and they'd disconnect right as the battle was over and I'd lose the + to my rank (and they'd avoid losing a point to theirs, babies). Please tell me this has been avoided in SCV....

Meru.

I like spicy food
NNID
Merudi
3DS FC
0963-1622-2801
Just got SCV a few days ago and it's really awesome! Content-wise it does indeed not contain that much, but it's not half as bad as everyone makes it seem. The gameplay is fantastic, very swift and fast.

I'm saddened by the lack of Talim.

I'm gonna have to look for other characters to try whenever I get around to this game, but I did like Leixia and Xiba when I tried it out the other day. And for Yaaay:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VXhq2AckpW8
OMG YES <33 Thank you for sharing this!!

When I went online (out of curiosity, not going online again until I've mastered Viola and Leixia better x3), it made me realise how much I miss Mina ;_;. She could have fit very well in the game, it's really a pity.

Top Bottom