• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Soulcalibur V

Masmasher@

Smash Lord
Cleveland, Ohio! my homeplace but for now living i
Got it and loving it so far
online is pretty good not alot of lag in my first two matches four bars or better just like 4 is the way to go
though i wish you could make you own room for ranked matches and not just player that way i can win and move on quick in and out

though some of the input for just frames got alot tighter especially for yoshimitsu
happy though my main has the highest damaging critical edge in the game lmfao
and its safe

D

Deleted member

so which platform are people getting this for?

edit: not that'd we could play (europ), just interested in what people pick

Meru.

I like spicy food
NNID
Merudi
3DS FC
0963-1622-2801
IGN lol, true men use metacritic :
http://www.metacritic.com/game/playstation-3/soulcalibur-v
82/100 is pretty good, 77 for the Xbox version (if there's any difference lol)
Agreed. Metacritic would be the most reliable if you would value game reviews.

There is no difference between the Xbox/PS3 version, but the XBOX version has a lower score because it some reviewers have only reviewed the XBOX version for some reasons and they gave it poorer scores.

From what the reviewers say, the single mode seems to be extremely limited with a meagre story mode, no endings and few and uninteresting things to unlock. The gameplay seems to be very good, the graphics have been received well as has online mode. Conclusion: if you are someone who pays little attention to single modes in fighting games, this game sounds quite good.

I will probably get it, even though my dearly beloved character is missing.

:053:

F8AL

Banned via Warnings
I never claimed that I trusted what IGN had to say, I was just telling you guys what they said.

TL?

Smash Ace
The story mode, while short, is actually really fun with some nice cinematics. It's about 3 hours long. The only part that can be a bit frustrating is forcing you to use alpha patroklos or ZWEI for most of the more difficult fights(although it's still pretty easy overall). Legendary souls aka boss rush is pretty insane, people who enjoy a challenge would like this. I'm kinda noob so I haven't cleared this yet. The single player experience after story mode is basically fighting CPUs to unlock gear/titles/deviljin/algol and customizing characters.

I haven't tried the online although I hear it's pretty good.

Local multiplayer is great. Of all the complaints you'll hear about this game, none are about the mechanics or the balance or the way the game plays. Vs is really good.

Oh also, target is giving out $20 gift card with the purchase of SC5, that's where I bought mine. Not a bad deal. It's probably ending soon.

disasterABDUL

Smash Ace
a friend of mine redboxed this so I got to play it yesterday
the game is pretty good, I'm still iffy about getting it myself but I do like what they've done with it
who are all the unlockable characters?

kd-

Smash Lord
Sad to see them remove the entire Yun-Seong/Seong-Mina/Talim story arc(?), besides the competitive combat aspect I loved the game for the fighters' connections with one another.

Krynxe

I can't pronounce it either
3DS FC
4511-0472-1729
Haven't ever played 3 or 4, but I loved soul calibur 2 and played it a ton. Just got 5 yesterday, it's pretty awesome but I hate how they dumbed the game down a bit and removed stances. Interesting how I get the daughter of my old main to play now, heh. <3 Xianghua, but Leixia is pretty awesome. :3c

Edit:
Waiting for my fightstick to come in the mail before I get in practice. PSN: "Krynxe"
I probably won't be up for games for the next week or so cause I need my stick + practice. Don't be hesitant to add me, though.

TL?

Smash Ace
Haven't ever played 3 or 4, but I loved soul calibur 2 and played it a ton. Just got 5 yesterday, it's pretty awesome but I hate how they dumbed the game down a bit and removed stances. Interesting how I get the daughter of my old main to play now, heh. <3 Xianghua, but Leixia is pretty awesome. :3c

Edit:
Waiting for my fightstick to come in the mail before I get in practice. PSN: "Krynxe"
I probably won't be up for games for the next week or so cause I need my stick + practice. Don't be hesitant to add me, though.
How can a Xianghua user complain about the game being "dumbed down" by having less stances? Shes easier to use in any game in the series than most of the cast in 5. Also most of the removed stances/moves were ones added in AFTER sc2. I'm not trying to hate on you, just saying the "dumbed down" comments are a bit annoying/unfair. Sure there are a few less stances and moves which results in slightly less depth, but there's new stuff like just guard, brave edge, critical edge, new guard break mechanics, quick step which give the game more depth.

mood4food77

Smash Hero
they removed ivy stances, all of them

WHY WOULD YOU DO SUCH A THING

and i here taki isn't in this game? the best boobs have been taken out (don't give me ivy had better boobs, taki's were pretty out and about)

Krynxe

3DS FC
4511-0472-1729
How can a Xianghua user complain about the game being "dumbed down" by having less stances? Shes easier to use in any game in the series than most of the cast in 5. Also most of the removed stances/moves were ones added in AFTER sc2. I'm not trying to hate on you, just saying the "dumbed down" comments are a bit annoying/unfair. Sure there are a few less stances and moves which results in slightly less depth, but there's new stuff like just guard, brave edge, critical edge, new guard break mechanics, quick step which give the game more depth.
One of my really good friends irl, who I played soul cal 2 with for ages, mains Ivy and he was really disappointed. I also have secondaries. :)

TL?

Smash Ace
One of my really good friends irl, who I played soul cal 2 with for ages, mains Ivy and he was really disappointed. I also have secondaries. :)
Fair enough, Ivy players are allowed to complain about less stances. :bee:

Spire

III
BRoomer
This game has less unlockables than any prior to it, and it seems fairly easy to obtain everything. Having played for just a few days, I already have upwards of 75% of the equipment just from playing through 19 stages in story mode and arcade several times. I feel the direction they've taken this game is totally online. The single player modes are stupidly limited. There is literally just Story Mode, Arcade, Quick Battle, Legendary Souls (boss rush against the 'boss' characters) and Training.

The gameplay is fun albeit different. Critical Edges add quite a bit of flair to the battles, usually acting as game-changers rather than game-enders (grumble grumble Critical Finishes). Though something keeps me yearning for Soul Calibur 2 and 3.

Character Creation is more robust than ever. I actually managed to make a few seemingly impossible characters with the resources at hand. Ghirahim and Cloud Strife were not possible in SC4, but I may have done them some justice. Perhaps I'll take pics later.

Anyways, decent game. If you're into online play, then this is fit for you. If not, have as much fun entertaining yourself with the character creator as you can, poising your creations in fun environments (the stages this time are classically great) and running through arcade over and over. Because the story mode is trash. I even prefer SC4's sad excuse for a story mode; at least you can play with any character, each of which had their own ending. This game ultimately feels rushed. Polished in places, but rushed nonetheless. The lackluster story mode (really, gonna tell half of it with sketches?) and the weak single player orientation reeks of a rushed product.

Feels like the whole series is (and probably will become): character creator + online play.

#HBC | ZoZo

Shocodoro Blagshidect
Guys.

It's a fighting game.

It's meant to be played one on one, offline, preferably in an arcade.

The fact that there even is a single player mode and character creation is a god-sent rather than normal. Be happy that there even is some of that.

Back to Story Mode of Street Fighter 4 2012, one of the best fighting games, RIGHT?

Krynxe

3DS FC
4511-0472-1729
This game sucks cause the outfit for my custom character doesn't work online

Spire

III
BRoomer
But Brosuke, the past Soul Calibur games accommodated in the single player department. There's no arguing that gaming is progressing towards universal multiplayer, but single player should always be an equally viable option.

Also @ Krynxe, what?

#HBC | ZoZo

Shocodoro Blagshidect
But Brosuke, the past Soul Calibur games accommodated in the single player department. There's no arguing that gaming is progressing towards universal multiplayer, but single player should always be an equally viable option.
I disagree. I think that they had to accommodate by releasing earlier, and keep costs limited by spending most time on multiplayer. The most successful fighting games at the moment all sport limited single player experiences.

UMvC3
SF
Mortal Kombat (ugh its bad as a game but whatever, I personally disliked the single player)
KoF (it's improving but still bad)

The only good/successful fighting game with a really darn amazingly good single player is literally BlazBlue.

TL?

Smash Ace
Buying a fighting game expecting a single player experience is kinda dumb. The single player is always the "extra part" or the secondary feature in a fighting game. I can't stand the constant whining about lack of single player in literally every fighting game that comes out especially if the actual fighting/multiplayer is great as it is here. Honestly I'd rather have MORE MULTIPLAYER MODES like team battle than more single player modes.

-LzR-

Smash Hero
I played this game in a friends house. The game was kinda annoying in some parts, but that must be because I have never touched the series before. I like the fact there aren't any automatic 9000 hits combos into cinematic bull****. Seems promising, maybe if I get a ps3 and if I learn this and think of it, I just might get it.

TL?

Smash Ace
So what characters do you guys like using? Here's who I use: Cervantes, Pyrrah, ZWEI, Patroklos, Lexia, Hilde. Cervantes is my only returning main so right now he's my best character.

Top Bottom