• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Sonic Tournament Results CHANGING THIS TITLE

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nigma 7

Smash Rookie
I... kinda don't have one. I usually hang out with some friends to play it. I'll see if I can get my bro to let me borrow his...

memphischains

Smash hhkj'
Man, i am in maryland in high school and cant seem to get to these tournies! I ONLY use sonic and i am extremely good with him.
Man, I love it when random people, with 2 posts, come and tell us how good they are with a terrible character, but can't show or do anything about it. I REALLY don't care about you and hope you never post here again.

infomon

Smash Scientist
Hmmm, the videos he's got of that are... interesting. He's clearly a very smart player. Too bad they only have a few matches recorded, against SamuraiPanda's DK and Diddy.

Interestingly, he doesn't use Sonic's AT'ish tricks much at all; he never spinshot, rarely even used ASC but used grounded SC's as part of an approach (man he's good with those lol, like timing them to get between bananas flying around lol), and I saw few if any shield-cancels.

Meanwhile I'm an AT-happy n00b :laugh: All I do now is SH backwards-charge SC shield-cancel, repeat repeat repeat, until I feel like digging into action.

To be fair, Anther used his Pikachu and Lucario during the tournament as well, ex. Pikachu as a counter to SP's snake. *shrug* I would've liked to see Sonic vs. Snake, as I'm terrible at fighting snakes.

Napilopez

Smash Lord
Now what we need is someone to have awesome basics AND knows when to use the ATs right... lol.

And infzy really? I love to see the different opinions on matchups for Sonic, because IMO snake is one of the easier top/high tier matchups. Not necesarily in your favor, but you can punish his blow uppy thingies alot. Lol one match I let a snake stick a bomb to me, then I chased him down and made it stick to him and he blew himself up, haha.

But yea. Lol, yes please do post that Izzy.

infomon

Smash Scientist
Well, I rarely have a chance to practice against good snakes. I have thought that Sonic might be a good Snake counter, for the reasons you mention..... I'm hoping this turns out to be the case at high-level play :) It's not his projectiles that get in my way much, rather I can't get near him cuz of his stupid tilts etc. >.> so it'd be good to see how better players fight; both on how Sonic strategizes against Snake, and how Snake responds to Sonic.

Greenstreet

Smash Champion
Tournament Result

So I thought I may as well post my QBB result here.
HERE IS THE LINK TO THE RESULTS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

But if you are mega-lazy or just trust me too much. I got 17th out of 65. Sonic the whole way, no exceptions...which led to my downfall...

Eliminating Round: First Game: Sonic vs Falco Result: 3 stocked him

Second Game: Sonic vs Olimar Result: Down to the last stock (ergh i cant approach that kid)

Third Round: Jared still foolishly picks sonic despite knowing oli was coming again lol.... Result: Well i lost....

Thats my whinge.
Laters. :036:

EDIT:
I'm going to a doubles and singles tourney this weekend. I'll let you know my results. and I would like to 2nd the motion to sticky this thread.
how come we never got that result. howd u go?

EDIT2: mine was held on the 27th of september,

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
hahaha Dai-A uses Falco, the way to pronounce his name is (DIE-AYE)

haha how did you know i lost to Lada?? cause you posted a X vs lada video thread a while back and we all bashed on you cause ladas ROB was trash
anyways, yeah i did.

and also i have another brother that i don't think you know of, his name is Staz.

but anyways the ages go....

ME(16) Staz(14) Lada(13) and Dai-A (13)

yepppppp
now i know you suck, and so does your region if tourneys are consistentlybeing won by 13 year olds... GTFO, youve lost speaking privleges
I... kinda don't have one. I usually hang out with some friends to play it. I'll see if I can get my bro to let me borrow his...
lol if you dont have a wii then your sonic must suck some hairy balls
yo, i got the best sonic going out there, and i still dont have a wii, but i got a copy of the game, lol. but if you play the game enough and know how to use your play time effectively, you dont need to own it to be good at the game, PC Chris was one of the best melee players and he didnt own a copy of the game either.
Attention:

X still sucks.

That is all.
10TRUFAX
Man, i am in maryland in high school and cant seem to get to these tournies! I ONLY use sonic and i am extremely good with him.
you are trash tier son, MD and VA are pretty much the smash mecha in the east coast, if you cant get to a tourney, you arent good enough to beat anyone in one either. GTFO
Man, I love it when random people, with 2 posts, come and tell us how good they are with a terrible character, but can't show or do anything about it. I REALLY don't care about you and hope you never post here again.
you know you guys suck, when you are making me agree with ^^this^^ D-bag

Hmmm, the videos he's got of that are... interesting. He's clearly a very smart player. Too bad they only have a few matches recorded, against SamuraiPanda's DK and Diddy.

Interestingly, he doesn't use Sonic's AT'ish tricks much at all; he never spinshot, rarely even used ASC but used grounded SC's as part of an approach (man he's good with those lol, like timing them to get between bananas flying around lol), and I saw few if any shield-cancels.

Meanwhile I'm an AT-happy n00b :laugh: All I do now is SH backwards-charge SC shield-cancel, repeat repeat repeat, until I feel like digging into action. sigh....

To be fair, Anther used his Pikachu and Lucario during the tournament as well, ex. Pikachu as a counter to SP's snake. *shrug* I would've liked to see Sonic vs. Snake, as I'm terrible at fighting snakes.
good snakes **** almost anything, sonic is not exempt to this fact.
I watched some of Anthers Sonic. He doesn't(didn't) even use any AT's back then.

Sonic's REALLY need to go back to basics a bit.
10MOARTRUFAX
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=196213

=P

`.`; I helped find/develop some AT usage, but it's all so you better players can go do stuff with it.

But, if we're not quite there, then there's really no point lol.
So much win coming from the board regulars right now...

Srsly. A lot of Sonics seem to focus on the fancy stuff without having a skeleton to BUILD off of.
coincidentally, I also play pit, and they are having the same issue over there....

Now what we need is someone to have awesome basics AND knows when to use the ATs right... lol. *GASP* NO WAI!!!ONE

And infzy really? I love to see the different opinions on matchups for Sonic, because IMO snake is one of the easier top/high tier matchups. Not necesarily in your favor, but you can punish his blow uppy thingies alot. Lol one match I let a snake stick a bomb to me, then I chased him down and made it stick to him and he blew himself up, haha.

But yea. Lol, yes please do post that Izzy.
good snakes **** almost anything, sonic is not exempt to this fact.
and im just going to go ahead and say that you dont have much experience vs snake, because if you did, youd know well enough to replace " blow uppy thingies" with their actual names, seeing as they have different properties and applications. Grenades, C4, Mortars(liding), Rocket lauchers, Nikitas, and Landmines, are all different. and knowing the properties of opponents is half of the matchup, these are things you (as well as the rest of us) should learn

Well, I rarely have a chance to practice against good snakes. I have thought that Sonic might be a good Snake counter, for the reasons you mention..... I'm hoping this turns out to be the case at high-level play :) It's not his projectiles that get in my way much, rather I can't get near him cuz of his stupid tilts etc. >.> so it'd be good to see how better players fight; both on how Sonic strategizes against Snake, and how Snake responds to Sonic.
sonic has the same problem the 90% of the characters in this game have....
sonic can get around snakes tilts.
sonic can get around snakes explosives
sonic can NOT get around both at the same time.
game over for sonic

darkNES386

Smash Lord
I have, but it's cause I made a careless aggressive move. Snake's nade control... similar to diddy's nanner control is really what keeps a constant pressure on Sonic. If you can break through that... he's yours (IMO).

Tenki

Smash Hero
I don't see U-tilt>mortar happening unless you're recovering or playing overaggro XD

And I think you can DI away from the mortar anyway, if not, insta-airdodge

ROOOOY!

Smash Master
NNID
Gengite
3DS FC
5456-0280-5804
So yeah, I was told a while ago that I can't nair Snakes mortar.
I just did it again today. No damage taken.

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
obviously, sir, youve never been up tilted into a falling mortar.
Obviously, you've been too careless, and got utilted into a falling mortar.

In all honesty, it's pretty hard to get hit by his utilt when you're trying to avoid damage [especially when you understand the range, speed, and priority the attack has], unless you do something incredibly stupid or reckless.

Edit: dNES/Tenki pretty much got it.

Tenki

Smash Hero
I like how everyone responded almost the same way about this within 3 minutes of each other.

Except for ROOOOY!

btw, you can break mortars with any aerial. Maybe not U-air, but I have broken it with F-air, B-air, N-air, and D-air.

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
I like how everyone responded almost the same way about this within 3 minutes of each other.

Except for ROOOOY!

btw, you can break mortars with any aerial. Maybe not U-air, but I have broken it with F-air, B-air, N-air, and D-air.
He said something reckless, so we're punshing him for it...just the way Sonic is suppose to play. lol

Completely serious for the next sentence:

The only time I'd think it'd be difficult to escape utilt -> mortar, would be at low percents, and if you don't DI enough, or aerial dodge at the right moment.

Otherwise, mortar is a joke. I fair and dair them all the time.

dthrow'd.

Waiting for KID's reaction to ensue techchase...

Browny

Smash Hater
i watched anthers sonic vids, even though he won the first match without any AT's or anything its painful to see him try the same approach every time and it rarely even works. luckily sonic is good at grab spamming to rack up damage. if he used ASC a lot more, not so much spinshot he could be sooo much better :/

Napilopez

Smash Lord
and im just going to go ahead and say that you dont have much experience vs snake, because if you did, youd know well enough to replace " blow uppy thingies" with their actual names, seeing as they have different properties and applications. Grenades, C4, Mortars(liding), Rocket lauchers, Nikitas, and Landmines, are all different. and knowing the properties of opponents is half of the matchup, these are things you (as well as the rest of us) should learn

sonic has the same problem the 90% of the characters in this game have....
sonic can get around snakes tilts.
sonic can get around snakes explosives
sonic can NOT get around both at the same time.
game over for sonic
I lolled. All that elaboration because I said blow-uppy thingies? I just used the expression "blow-uppy thingies" to include all of snakes exploisives, because Sonic can get around them all pretty well. And because it sounds silly, and I say a lot of silly stuff. Like anti-concur.

Also, not meaning any rudeness or harm at all, but I just don't think this match-up is as hard as some people make it out to be. Lucario, Olimar, Marth, Meta, are all significantly more difficult, This matchup is one of Sonics easier Top tier match-ups. Doesn't mean you have the advantage, but I don't think snake pwns Sonic as badly as he does other chars. And no I'm not speaking about player tactics or mindgames or whatnot. Sonic Simply has properties that make this matchup somewhat easier. What I meant about handling his blow-uppy thingies is that Sonic can get by grenade spam pretty well thanks to long-distance dashattack and glidetoss. Nair will go through mortar. I think like all his spin moves go through mortar, lol. Your spins all go through the Nikita. Sonic moves so quick, whether by springing or running or whatever, that Snake will have more difficulty blowing up a C4 on Sonic than on other characters. As for landmines, well this isn't something character specific, but I personally like purposely springbombing a landmine(lol) to make it blow up and not forget about it and get hit by it later. Sonic can combo snake well. Sonic can gimp snake much more easily than snake can gimp Sonic. His spindashes will even clang with his tilts.

Thats not to say Sonic will do that all the time, but compared to other chars, he can actually deal with the explosives and general snakeness pretty effectively. Even BlueTerrorist's original match-up guide, before it dissapearified, had it as being even. That the match is really about who could get in control first. I actually give snake a small advantage, but I do totally agree that its more dependent on who is in control.

And yes, I've played some pretty decent at least snakes. Fine, its on Wi-Fi, but its better than no match-up experience.

ROOOOY!

Smash Master
NNID
Gengite
3DS FC
5456-0280-5804
Snake's not hard because he's not aerially based.
Olimar is neutral.

MK, Wario, and others are really difficult, though. I don't find Luigi too hard any more, either.

Napilopez

Smash Lord
Snake's not hard because he's not aerially based.
Olimar is neutral.

MK, Wario, and others are really difficult, though. I don't find Luigi too hard any more, either.
Lol getting snake in the air is fun, because you can uair juggle him pretty easily, and just handle him overall in the air not too badly.

I'm going to ask an amazing or really really good MK to play me one day, because so far I have only lost to one =/ And that was because I didn't know how to get past tornado spam XD. Maybe I'll ask clouderz on AiB for a friendly so he doesn't risk losing a gagillion skill points, lol.

I've only play a couple of decent Wario's so I can't say much about it. Bite isn't really annoying though. Its his darn aerial accelerartion! Just the weaving motion makes me sick blehhh loll. Luigi used to be terrriibblleeee for me. But now its not that bad =P

Anyways, theres a tournament at Play N Trade down here in the city coming up. Anyone from the area here going? I'm planning on going, and this would be my very first touney, yay =P

infomon

Smash Scientist
Depends on the character. Sonic can do this :) But Metaknight can't break the mortar with any of his aerials. (Someone told me his Nair can work, but I've never been able to pull it off so I permanently await video confirmation of this.)

MK's sword has weird priority properties in general (his jab/tilts/smashes don't clash with anything at all, theoretically making him kinda weak to projectile spam because he has to avoid or shield everything), but many other characters can't destroy the mortar with some aerials. Ness' Fair, TLink's Fair and Bair, many other "slashy" aerials don't work.

InterimOfZeal

Smash Champion
Whoa whoa WHOA!

Do NOT insult Dai-A. Kid is chill as hell, and is actually really really REALLY good. Seriously, don't even think you can trash talk him. He knows his stuff.

Sonic can beat Snake, as long as you don't play careless. It's a lot easier than fighting MK or Olimar, in my opinion. At least v Snake, you can make a decent amount of mistakes.

Kid, if you're really not shit tier, where are all your high placings? Well?

Also, MD VA aren't the "mecha" of EC smash. I believe you meant "mecca". GGs, now stfu and get out with that ******** attitude.

Also, utilt>usmash is telegraphed as hell. If you get hit by it, it's your own fault.

Sonic can deal with both tilts and splosives at the same time. Spoilers, perfect shield REALLY makes Sonic own 10000 times harder. Learn to use it.

memphischains

Smash hhkj'
Sonic can beat Snake, as long as you don't play careless. It's a lot easier than fighting MK or Olimar, in my opinion. At least v Snake, you can make a decent amount of mistakes.
I have been saying that forever. A GOOD Sonic should always put up a fight, if not win.

JMan8891

Halfrican-American
A bit to the topic*
Memph, have you had any ideas in general where you'd want to take the thread? xD. I've noticed discussion more... hmm...
You know, i was thinking that one of us (not me, work/school, and tourney tomorrow..) should peruse the pages and consolidate the tourney listing into your format so basically, you can check it for accuracy, then paste it up front. Save you some grunt work, xD
Edit: Needs to get my own smexy sig. I cry a little inside everytime i see your Steak-tastic Sonic-sig.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom