• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Sonic Tournament Results CHANGING THIS TITLE

Status
Not open for further replies.

Napilopez

Smash Lord
Hmm, well the thing is that this tourney looks to be pretty large, so not counting it, especially if I place well, would be quite a shame ='(. But its your choice, and I'm cool with whatever you want. I'll just argue my side a bit:

I agree that its worrisome using hacked brawl versions in tourneies, but of all the hacks, besides the no-replay one, this is the least effective. Will people really not dashdance just because there is tripping? No, people do it anyways. This would really just eliminate that random occurence, and in the end it all balances out imo. Also, it seems more and more tourney's are beginning to use these, so it seems using no tripping will become more popular with time. If anything, you can consider allowing the results if no-tripping becomes significantly prominent in major tourneys.

infomon

Smash Scientist
But why stop at tripping? We could make the game more competitive by artificially balancing the characters, as well! Just apply my binary patch... let's remove infinites, give Falcon some better moves, dum dee dum.......

I just don't think it's right to modify the game this way, for tournaments. I, for one, wouldn't be able to practice on the no-tripping version, and it matters little to me if you think it doesn't matter. Also, what guarantee do I have that taking tripping out is the only thing you modified in the game?

InterimOfZeal

Smash Champion
I'm not saying that it's good though, so don't get that assumption from what I typed.

I've had more bad luck with tripping than good. I'm one of the few who've actually tripped into an Ike f-smash during a tournament match.

That, and tripping with Sonic SUCKS, especially when you trip during techchasing (happened to me about five times so far).
I've done that in one match. I think my record is upwards of ten? Maybe only eight.

I've tripped 6 times in a match with Jigglypuff. Explain that one to me. I spend all my time jumping, and the second I land.

OOPS, I TRIPPED>Deth. D:

Napilopez

Smash Lord
Thats true infzy. And I'm not for hacking brawl anyways, but in a large tourney like this with such highly skilled players competing, I think it has to count for something. However its true that you never know what else might be put into the homebrew thing. I for one have never minded tripping much, and I actually think that it servers its purpose well when brawl is played as a party game, which is how it is meant to be played. I just think it would be unfair not to count the results for such a minimal mod, even if I do disagree with it.

Zeallyx

Fox mains get all the girlz
wait..
people use sonic in tourny's!? 0.o

nah just pulling ya blue hedgehog's leg, you got it better than me..
*cries in my captain falcon maining corner*

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
I want a winning steak... ;_;
Dude, you already have a steak. I watched your vids in the 1 Month Later thread and you have a nice Sonic. I lol'd when you grabbed that MK like 7 times in a row at the end of the first match.
Props.
Steak.
I hope to earn mine soon.

Zeallyx

Fox mains get all the girlz
lol Sonic actually does well in tourneys.

Love your name BTW.
yeah, I know he places well XD
better than falcon *cries*
I was just kidding, keep doing what you guys do, and may the tourny results be with you

and thanks :D I thought it was a cool lil shakespear parody thing XD so I used it as a name here

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
Video Game Night
October 2nd, 2008
Out of 12:
1st (Sonic)
Tag: Steak (Couldn't resist. Nobody got it, lol)

Entrance fee was 3 dollars. There's no link for the tournament, sorry. Is it still acceptable?

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
I thnik you need at least 13 people for it to be acceptable anyways =[
Really? I was afraid of that. Oh well, that just means I have to go to bigger tournaments.

EDIT: I dunno Napi, Memphis has a tournament result in May for some Pirate Guru dude where there are only 12 entrants. I don't think Ankoku would except my results though, but that doesn't mean that they can't at least show up here.

Browny

Smash Hater
lol my vids got uploaded. Last tourney had a horribad turnout, hardly any good players turned up so the GF wasnt too exciting :/ anyway

http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=Vwn8za1T8a8 (played like **** lol)
http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=tGao3oaV-Cw

i thought 3:37 and 4:46 in the first vid were pretty cool.
1:41 in the second vid was funny, The guy is like 'OH ****' he was meant to do nayrus love instead :p last kill on second vid was alright too, nice prediction on where FW would re-appear to airdodge :D anyway i know i played pretty scrubtacular there. I played much better against him in winners brackets and used wayyy too many fsmashes in the final. thought my tilt useage was pretty good though.

Zelda is such an odd matchup for me. normally im all-out agressive but her dam.n fsmash and nayrus had to make me play my approaches a lot safer and i think my matchup inexperience showed there :/

Napilopez

Smash Lord
So, I just got back to Columbia after my first tourney and thought I should describe how it went. Actually, its still going on(and prolly will till at least like 2 or 3 in the mornign), but everyone qwo was DQd was kicked out. Before I continue, I was DQd in the pools. Be warned that I have a BUNCH of johns for my first tourney =P

Anyways. It was alot of fun, I met tons of cool people. But the actual tourney was... Wow.

There store is small. Long, but very narrow. Up until later on, there were about 10 total setups. 8 on the first floor, aranged side by side mostly, and 2 on the bottom I believe.

The turnout was expected to be like 30-60 for singles, at most 70.

We had at 170+ register for singles, last time I checked. 60+ teams for doubles. All crammed into a small narrow store, playing side by side. The TO himself said it: "I am never advertising on AllisBrawl again." Lolaso. The fire department apparently came to check stuff out, because it was a fire hazard. They made people get out XD.

Doubles took some hours to complete. It was a good thing there were 10 setups. But still, except for the 2 setups downstairs, everyone had to stand up because there wasn't enough room. Because twas double elimination, however, it still took a long time. Note: I didn't participate in doubles.

Registration started at 11. Doubles started at about 1:30. It wasnt until 6 or later that singles started. We obviously had to be divided into pools, but becuase there were soooo many people, the pool rules became quite cheap(explanation later). It was originally supposed to be two 3 stock round against everyone in the pool, so that you faced everyone once. Out of 10 people in the pool, it was supposed to be that the top 4 advanced. However, as I will explain later, that was not the case.

I had to wait until about 9 oclock till my pool would actually get to play. Standing up, for hours. By then, some of the people in my pool actually left. But now come the johns:

1) I am a WiiChuck player. It just so seems that with all these Wiis in close proximity to eachother, there was tons of interference with my Wiimote. It fels worse than your average frame-laggified match on wifi, because not only was there input delay in sporadic moments, my actual INPUTs were distorted at times. I would input sideb, it would do downtilt. Yea. Or I would Dair edgeguard, with PLENTY of height to recover, and then, I would just not spring at all(MarKO can attest to this XD). Plenty of weird sitches with, wifi lag. What was worse, my opponents didnt feel any type of lag at all. I asked them, and it felt fine, while there was a visible delay with my inputs. Booo.

2) Because of the humongous turnout, Matches for the pools would have to be reduced to only one round, and a 5 minute time limit. At least half of the matches I saw came close and one opponent won because time finished, and he was only winning by a slight percentage. Remember how I said we were supposed to play two 3 stock matches against everyone in my pool, and the top 4 would move on? Ha. Instead we were forced to play a single 3 stock round against everyone in out pool. Furthermore, as mentioned it was originally supposed to be that the top 4 moved up? I wouldve made it to those top 4. But guess what? After several pools had already determined their top 4, and mine was in the process of determinging our top 4, they decided to change it so that only the top 2 advanced. So when I was taking it easy the later matchesbecause I woulda made the top 4, instead it turns out I was eliminated. ='(

Nevertheless, I think the TO did the absolute best job he could have with such an unexpectedly humongous turnout.

Whoever wins first is going to win aloott of money. I'm guessing that the venue fee doesn't go into the money actually given to the players, but still. First place gets 50%, so 5 dollars x 170 is 850, divided by 2 thats 425, which is petty darn sweet.

aeghrur

Smash Champion
Awww, dang, Napi, I would've liked to see a Wii-chuck player do really well with sonic. :(
Well, that sucked man, that sucked. Switch to GC controller now? lol.

Tenki

Smash Hero
After several pools had already determined their top 4, and mine was in the process of determinging our top 4, they decided to change it so that only the top 2 advanced. So when I was taking it easy the later matchesbecause I woulda made the top 4, instead it turns out I was eliminated. ='(
lol

sandbagging is no good xD

Napilopez

Smash Lord
Switch to GC? never! I'll turn off all the other Wiis if I have to XD, or use one of the Wiis secluded from the rest. I seriously despise the GC remote for brawl. It took me forever to adjust to the Wiichuck at first, but now I would never go back. Nah but if I really really had to, then I guess I would use it, but I refused to today, seeing as I haven't used GC remote in months.

As an interesting note, I met Wes today. His Sonic is real good, but as usual mostly because he has already "learned to player.", lol. I wish he would visit the boards more/ever, I feel like he could learn alot. There's too little variety in his playstyle. The only "advanced" Sonic thing I saw him do was SideB cancel, and not even lke effectively as mindgames or as an approach, just as like for protection incase someone attacks. He uses like a gagillion Bairs, which is not necesarily a bad thing if he unstaled it. I saw too many times where an ASC or ASC cancel would have been effective, but I didn't see him use it once. No spnshotting, which wouldve been effective approaches against some chars he faced. But those are my only complaints. He lands pivot grabs like crazy lol(although SideB reversal pivot grabs would be more efficient =p), and had some nice basic mindgames(as in not involving ATs). Like just run around in small circles around opponents doing aerials, lol, and some sweet use of dashdancing.

This is random, but imagine you could like, RAR spinshots? I would be amazing using a Bair traveling that speed and distance as an approach. I just discoverd I could essentially RAR ASCs, which I found to be quite effective XD.

Tenki

Smash Hero
{1} He lands pivot grabs like crazy lol(although SideB reversal pivot grabs would be more efficient =p), and had some {2} nice basic mindgames(as in not involving ATs). Like just run around in small circles around opponents doing aerials, lol, and some sweet use of dashdancing.

{3} This is random, but imagine you could like, RAR spinshots? I would be amazing using a Bair traveling that speed and distance as an approach. I just discoverd I could essentially RAR ASCs, which I found to be quite effective XD.
{1} Does he run past them as they shield/spotdodge, then grab? It's pretty cool lol. I think B-reversal grabs are faster framewise though.

{2} Hey, basic mindgames are the best. Like, running past someone to force a spotdodge, then screechstop> reverse D-smash/F-smash. Oh wait, that's smash cancelling. darn.

{3} You can, but not in the sense that you're flying backwards at a fast speed. RAWRASK is pretty cool too. Kojin (JayBee) used those quite a bit, and even though he almost never landed any on me, they were still pretty cool because he'd end up near the stage / chasing my airdodge as I tried to float inwards. I think travelling at someone while charging a reverse ASC, then releasing it when you're near might be kinda reminiscent of wavedash's momentum change.

Napilopez

Smash Lord
{1} Does he run past them as they shield/spotdodge, then grab? It's pretty cool lol. I think B-reversal grabs are faster framewise though.

{2} Hey, basic mindgames are the best. Like, running past someone to force a spotdodge, then screechstop> reverse D-smash/F-smash. Oh wait, that's smash cancelling. darn.

{3} You can, but not in the sense that you're flying backwards at a fast speed. RAWRASK is pretty cool too. Kojin (JayBee) used those quite a bit, and even though he almost never landed any on me, they were still pretty cool because he'd end up near the stage / chasing my airdodge as I tried to float inwards. I think travelling at someone while charging a reverse ASC, then releasing it when you're near might be kinda reminiscent of wavedash's momentum change.
(1) Haha, he did that a lot. I also recall him grabbing them out of aerials this way, which was pretty sweet.

(2) This is true. I just wish he would learn and/or use Sonic specific mindgames, involving his ATs. If anything, it adds more variety, making him less predictable. Not exactly what I was saying, but kinda how like its awesome to spam uthrows until your opponent begins to DI backwards, and then use an fthrow, putting him in the same position as a Uthrow would have thanks to the DI =P.

(3) Haha RAWRASK. I was about to say "We got ANOTHER acronym?!?!?" Until I realized what you meant =P. I really liked using that, I owned a shiek this way earlier today. I wonder if it would be effective against olimar...

(4) Parenthesis>squiggly brackets

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
(2) Not exactly what I was saying, but kinda how like its awesome to spam uthrows until your opponent begins to DI backwards, and then use an fthrow, putting him in the same position as a Uthrow would have thanks to the DI =P.
a.k.a. the KID combo

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
X stop getting beat, god.

im getting tired of you getting smacked around by your little brothers.

switch characters or something, i think getting first and having "Sonic/Peach" next to your name, is better than getting second cause your too stubborn to counterpick ppl

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom