• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Sonic COLORS / Colours

Mr. Johan

Smash Hero
NNID
Sonicboom93
Tails was never a problem for me in the S2 special stages, except for two moments in the 6th stage. But even then, I learned to hoard every ring for myself so when he got hit it didn't matter.

SEGA's been giving Tails a backseat throughout the games recently though, so yeah. One moment in the Colors's script even has Tails showing preference to simply inventing things and being the team smart guy rather than helping Sonic along in the role as the hero.

finalark

SNORLAX
I'm not a fan of this game :) Things just went downhill for me from announcement on.
Despite the fact that the game isn't even out yet.

Then again, I smell a troll.

The moment you give him a little responsibility he starts dropping your rings all over the special stage.
It's more like "the second that the game decides that he needs to lag two seconds behind you" he starts dropping rings.

Tails is what happens when you try to make a character out of a multiplayer mode. I didn't mind Tails until he started talking.
I've always been pretty indifferent towards him as a character. Although I will admit that I liked his stages in Adventure 2.

Kuraudo

4Aerith
NNID
Kuraudo
Maybe in due time they can go back to re-introducing other characters to be playable if these new awesome gameplay mechanics are anything to go by.

To hell with the haters, I miss using other characters.

I miss Shadow, Tails, and Knuckles. Those that proclaim, "BOO! SONIC ONLY!!" can suck it. lol

[EDIT]

Actually, come to think of it, I would love to see Shadow playable in the stylings of Sonic Unleashed or Sonic Colors, just alter some things for the use of Chaos abilities. The speed boosts that Sonic uses are still there but there are also factors that go into slowing down enemies, his homing attack behaving more like little warps of Chaos Control as he attacks enemies, that kind of thing.

No Hero!Chaos Control that sends you flying through the stage though. Shadow never did it in Sonic Adventures 2 and he and Sonic were awesome. Just give Shadow some Unleashed style gameplay with some added touches and more playable characters ftfw.

zxeon

Smash Lord
I hope they don't farm out all of Sonic's Sonic Unleashed powers out to wisps. From what I've seen of the gameplay this doesn't seem to be the case.

Mr. Johan

Smash Hero
NNID
Sonicboom93
The only power Sonic had in Unleashed that seems to be "farmed out" to a wisp is his boost ability, but since the White Wisps are the most common ones around, it hardly appears to be a detriment.

Sonic didn't really have that many abilities from Unleashed though: Grinding, Boost, Drifting, Quick Step, and Homing Attack are the only ones that come to mind; Sonic's ability to crawl under tight spots has, from the looks of it, been removed in favor of still being able to use the powerslide that he usually does at high speed. Quick Step has been diminished so that it can only be used at certain points, Grinding and Homing Attack seems like it can be used whenever appropriate (Sonic doesn't emanate a color like he does when using the known Wisp powers), and I don't think a Wisp would be used for something as meager as the drifting ability. So I don't think there's anything to worry about, really.

Kei_Takaro

Smash Lord
@SonicStorm, did they include the Quick Time Event in Colors? Hopefully they did. I don't remember seeing it in the trailer.

@Kuraudo, I kinda second that Shadow thing lol, although I'm not sure how that type of speed will have him use the guns at all.

Can't wait for this game to be out.
By the looks of the trailer it looks something more of PS3/360 graphics, although the graphics remind me alot like Pkmn BR and Twilight Princess in the level of detail.
Pkmn BR had that same Bloom Effect going.
From that article which stated that it would take a lot of work to design the daytime stages, I say that they can make a 2D game with less work and time needed and still produce a good quality game (I'm talking about using the Unleashed/Colors Engine BTW) Also semi-referencing Sonic Robo Blast 2 (Fanmade) and Sonic, Realm of Chaos (from YoYo games)

I'm glad that the Wisps will simply be optional for stage completion.
Hopefully, there will be more platforming elements, seeing that Sonic is running around the stage like its Burnout Revenge xD.

From an article they said there would be no DLC for Wii/DS :(
*Though hopefully, we could pull-off stage creation hacks on Colors. (SSBB, SMG, Mario Kart; which have already been hacked and have their own fanmade stages)

Mr. Johan

Smash Hero
NNID
Sonicboom93
Spoiler alert: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3pVHJeIUWOI - One of the game's cutscenes.

Tails's voice is SPOT ON, in my opinion. I REALLY like it. Sonic's is a little hit and miss, but I blame myself for thinking the voice would be similar in tone to whenever a Color power is announced. It'll take me a little getting used to, but overall, I don't dislike it.

Poltergust

Smash Master
NNID
Poltergust
3DS FC
3609-1547-9922
Wow, Sonic's voice is DEEP.

...I like it. It's different from the other voice actors, but still makes him sound like he should sound like.

Oh, and Tails' voice is awesome. Fits him really well, in my opinion. ^_^

:069:

finalark

SNORLAX
I like the new voices, Tails doesn't annoy me anymore and it looks like they're going back to the "cocky smartass" personality for Sonic.

That actually makes me really happy.

Kei_Takaro

Smash Lord
Sonic hits puberty lol. I watched that link without looking though.
Gotta say, Tails has got the right voice now :D
I'm saying decent for Sonic's voice, it feels wrong but feels right xD

myfacewhen Sonic is Chris Redfield xD

Ryu Shimazu

Smash Master
NNID
Ryushimmy
3DS FC
5000-5048-5681
Do you guys think this will have replay value or it'll be done in 5 hourish like someone said?

Mr. Johan

Smash Hero
NNID
Sonicboom93
Europe and Australia got to play a demo of Sonic Colours on their DS. Comments seem to be very positive. The Rush physics is still there, but the trick system has been scrapped entirely, Sonic can perform some of the typical 3D stunts such as the Stomp Dive from Unleashed, as well as the Wall Jump, and the Red Wisp power is apparently a wonderful addition.

The music is as fantastic as ever, too.

_Rocky_

Smash Ace
I know I'm late and all, but I just want to say that the game seems to be absolutely AMAZING.

The first gameplay trailer almost moved me to tears =)

Kuraudo

4Aerith
NNID
Kuraudo
The Sonic Cycle only existed amongst a bitter spoiled fandom.

Other gamers liked and disliked at their own discretion instead of following the crowds of haters or lovers everywhere.

For that group of people? Sonic Colors and Sonic the Hedgehog 4 arrived. Games they accepted or liked before just got better. I am proud to be a fan of Sonic.

Mr. Johan

Smash Hero
NNID
Sonicboom93
The Sonic Cycle only existed amongst a bitter spoiled fandom.

Other gamers liked and disliked at their own discretion instead of following the crowds of haters or lovers everywhere.

For that group of people? Sonic Colors and Sonic the Hedgehog 4 arrived. Games they accepted or liked before just got better. I am proud to be a fan of Sonic.

A rumor is spreading that the German GamePro Magazine gave Colours an 87%, so it's looking good. I kinda wish these reviews were being made a few days prior to the shipment date, though, so no backlash could be given at the very last minute.

Mr. Johan

Smash Hero
NNID
Sonicboom93
Seems the German review didn't give it a 87%.

It gave it 92%.

Rough Translation:

Sonic Colours
There is a god and he's a Sonic fan!

Sonic Colors doesn't make you wait with intro videos or anything, but starts without further ado. Title screen appears, push the button - And it starts "Tropical Resort Act 1". Less than ten seconds later Sonic is blasting through lush tropical landscapes with his familiar speed of sound. You can almost hear the defiant calls of "You wanted this!" from the developers. Yes, we wanted this. We wanted a pure Sonic game. Without a surfboard, without a Werehog, without a Knight of the Roundtable. And we got it!

Colorful Carnival
Okay, after two opening levels there's the first cutscene of the story. Dr. Eggman has built an intergalactic amusement park to pay for all of his crimes and from now on to only spread mirth and joy. At least that's what he says, but that it's just a pretext for some new crime should be obvious for every last hedgehog on the planet. In truth Eggman has only built this amusement park to attract Aliens and stealtheir powers.He especially has it in for the Wisps - friendly little aliens with special powers. With them, Eggman wants to build a brain washing machine to take over the world.
Of course, Sonic can also use the Wisp powers. Of course only with their permission and good intentions. The Wisps are spread around the levels and are trapped in capsules. Once freed they give Sonic their powers and transform him into different beings. For example in a drill. Or into a pink gear (? lolwut), that can roll along walls. There are 8 types of Wisps in total, but they aren't all available from the start. You'll find them in the course of the game - until then you'll just run through empty capsules. Once you've "unlocked" new Wisps, you can go back to past levels and explore new areas that were unreachable before. This gives you a respectable depth and hightens the replayability, because the levels are designed so that you can always find something new.

Best of Sonic
The orientation on replaying the levels fits wonderfully to the retro character of the game. You must by no means memorize the levels, you can also just play through them normally. However if you know the levels good and can use the Wisp-Powers skilfully, you can gallantly evade places that slow you down and practically go through the levels without a break, which ups the fun factor of the game. There isn't really a given path anyway. On the contrary, you can by accident land in a different place and find yourself level areas that you had no idea about before. Here too, the Wisp-Powers become important. If you see for example blue rings somewhere, you'll know "Okay, I'll come back here later with the Blue Wisp, than I can turn the rings into blocks and create a new path"
The classic Sonic-gameplay isn't left behind in all of this and still includes everything the fan wants: Springs, Crane Hooks (Don't know what they mean with this>_>), boost pads and the Homing Attack. This most known of the fighting techniques allows Sonic to dash in to an enemy in mid air and destroy him by bouncing of of him. Like this Sonic can shoot himself from one enemy to another, which is used to get over pits and to reach higher places.

The Final Frontier
In anyway the level design is very good. What Sonic Colours conjours to the screen, let's even past Sonic games look like comfortable forest walk. There has never been such a funky (? xD Google xD) hell ride like this in any Sonic game. Sonic Colours is however not a pure "racing game". Next to the half automated high speed sections with loopings, corkscrews, intricate railings and even crazier neck-breaking, knotted paths, there are also calmer areas that are about platforming skills.
At the same time the game always stays fair - past unfairnesses, like running in to a spiked wall, are nowhere to be found in Sonic Colours.!

What Sonic Colours has to offer with level designs, is nothing in comparison to what they brought out graphically. Sonic Colours lives up to it's name - The game is so colorful, that self proclaimed "Next-gen" titles on both competitor's consoles almost look like Black&White games. It's flashing, glittering and shimmering everywhere and by those crazy high speeds you can't see all of that. It's like a visit to Disney Land: Everything is stylized to the last square centimeter and by the end of the day you can't really comprehend all of it. Everywhere the eye can reach the levels are stuffed full with structures, plants fantasy worlds - Hell, against it even the overwhelming Super Mario Galaxy (2) looks empty. What SEGA created here is overwhelming and can hardly be put in to words. What's more unbelievable is that Sonic Colours has technically no problems and still runs at a framerate at high speeds, that you wouldn't expect of the Wii.

Joy Everywhere
After all of the praise about the graphics and fantastic level design, it's hard to praise the music as much. Let's say it like this: A more fitting soundtrack to a Sonic game doesn't exist. Happy upbeat music, great catchy melodies to whistle to - Sonic Colour isn't only fun, it also gives you a good feeling. With Sonic Colours SEGA has done everything right and has finally (finally!) created a clean, unadorned, dazzling Sonic. The world is right again, life is beautiful - Thanks to Sonic Colours
The DS version got a 90% score from the magazine.

Kuraudo

4Aerith
NNID
Kuraudo
With the way they talked about it, you'd think it got a 100% or something. Hahah. I like it when reviews praise a game and don't go to that extreme to give them perfect scores. It goes to show that nothing is perfect and the bar can always be set higher.

In all seriousness though, way to go for SEGA and this game.

Segtendo

Smash Hero
NNID
Segtend0
3DS FC
2552-4940-9357
US demo's out!
Downloaded it and it's what people said. Pretty different from Rush. The stomp feels so right in this game. Also, I think Sonic runs weird O.o

Mr. Johan

Smash Hero
NNID
Sonicboom93
It's more of an aesthetic aspect of his run than anything. Sonic's running nearly the same as he does in Rush, but his arms are at a higher angle when at top speed, and they are a lot more animated when he's running at not-top speed. Makes it look like he's flailing.

But the physics of his dash is virtually unchanged from Rush.

BSP

Smash Legend
US demo's out!
Downloaded it and it's what people said. Pretty different from Rush. The stomp feels so right in this game. Also, I think Sonic runs weird O.o
Just for Xbox right?

So, any more thought on it? Does it seem ok?

Segtendo

Smash Hero
NNID
Segtend0
3DS FC
2552-4940-9357
I thought most people knew that it was for Wii and DS. :urg:

finalark

SNORLAX
I thought most people knew that it was for Wii and DS. :urg:
Well, we pretty much went over this in previous pages.

Oh well, I care not because it's giving me yet another reason to blow the dust off of my Wii along with Skyward Sword and DK Country Returns.

BSP

Smash Legend
Ok, I'm looking for it now...

Think I got it...It's only a DS demo right?

LOL i need to pay attention to the nintendo channel more.

This....seems pretty solid...

Top Bottom