• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Sonic COLORS / Colours

finalark

SNORLAX
**** it Sega! I thought you were fixing it with Sonic 4! Oh well, it looks like it's going to be Mario Sonic Paint or something to that end...

Firus

You know what? I am good.
BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
I raged the moment I saw those...creatures.

WHAT ARE THEY SUPPOSED TO BE?! AND WHY DO THEY HAVE TO EXIST?!

Well, Kotaku has some more info, apparently:

http://kotaku.com/5548219/sonic-colors-streaks-to-the-wii-and-ds/gallery/

Good god they're focusing completely on speed again and using boosts, yet again. WHY WON'T YOU LEARN YOUR LESSON?! Sonic was NEVER about going as fast as you possibly can.

I guess I can't fully complain with Sonic 4 on the way, but...come on, Sega. Is this another one I'm going to have to wait until it's $15 or less to buy?

finalark

SNORLAX
Okay, it's official, Sega should axe this project, axe Sonic Team and then put DIMPS in their place. I want to play a new Sonic game that doesn't make me want to break my face.

And then after that they should pay more attention to franchises other than Sonic and Phantasy Star...

Sariku

Smash Master
You guys should stop being so pessimistic about it. Apparently each of the Wisps give Sonic a new ability which creates new paths in the stage. They're just power ups, like Mario with his many costumes, and you don't hear people complaining about that. I'm not really a fan of the boost gauge aspect of it, but.

This to me just looks like a spiritual successor to Sonic Unleashed. I'm sure it'll use the same engine, but cut out the Werehog, of course. It's a cool idea, so try and not look at it so harshly.

I, for one, am excited. Let's see some gameplay.

Spire

III
BRoomer
Sega needs to stop beating around the Sonic Adventure 3 bush.

Thrillhouse-vh.

Smash Hero
Sega just needs to let Sonic die. I mean there hasn't been a good one since Sonic& Knuckles ffs, and even that was not that special. EDIT: Except adding another game on the top that was pretty awesome, but the game is expanded Sonic 3.

Firus

BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
You guys should stop being so pessimistic about it.
Um. We're talking about 3D Sonic here. It's pretty much guilty until proven innocent at this point.

wtf@people already bashing the game even though theres NO gameplay or info yet.
*Ahem*

I wouldn't be saying anything if we didn't already have information that this is Unleashed fused with Rush, i.e. boost fests galore.

If they JUST have boosting stages, it'll be somewhat of an improvement, at least. Better than Werehog.

Also, SERIOUSLY GUYS. This is 3D Sonic, they've been screwing this up for how many games now and you guys are still being optimistic every time a new one is announced and getting angry because people are pessimistic? Seriously?

Gates

Banned via Warnings
Good god they're focusing completely on speed again and using boosts, yet again. WHY WON'T YOU LEARN YOUR LESSON?! Sonic was NEVER about going as fast as you possibly can.
Wait, what?

Firus

BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
Wait, what?
"What" to what part? The fact that they're focusing on boosting or about Sonic never being about speed?

Because I linked to a Kotaku article with that information and if anyone actually went back and played the original Sonic games anymore they'd know that Sonic was not going as fast as you possibly can.

There's a reason boosts didn't exist until Rush.

Lore

Infinite Gravity
BRoomer
Wait, what?
Sonic has never been about going as fast as you can, it's about going fast and keeping your momentum while navigating well-made levels and fighting creative bosses.

Going light speed in wide open areas and having sudden surprise stops in tight areas to compensate for a crappy camera does not make a good Sonic game.

finalark

SNORLAX
Perhpas they're just trying to permenently kill 3D Sonic so that way nobody will miss it if they switch to 2D-only Sonic...

/wishful thinking

I remember hearing a joke once that for new Sonic games they just have a dart board filled with random words that they throw darts at. Whatever the darts land on they stick with, this game proved this.

EDIT: The Sega of America blog post on it: http://blogs.sega.com/usa/2010/05/26/introducing-sonic-colors/#more-5124

Lovely

Smash Lord
♣ I'll hope for the best. I only saw Wii and DS on the trailer, are they not going to make it in more systems? ♥

Segtendo

Smash Hero
NNID
Segtend0
3DS FC
2552-4940-9357
I read on Sonic Retro that it was Wii/DS only.

Doesn't look that bad. More gameplay would be nice.

Minato

穏やかじゃない
Don't know what to say to this. But that's mostly because the teaser didn't give us a good idea on how the game will play. I'm also sad that it's made for only Wii and DS so I'm unsure how much effort Sega will put into this.

Sariku

Smash Master
Nintendo Power puts their exclusive for Sonic Colors on the front page rather than Super Mario Galaxy 2. Sounds fun. Images below:

Interesting how SEGA itself says that Sonic games haven't been on track, and that this one has no gimmicks. Gotta love it.

finalark

SNORLAX
No gimmick? Then what do they call those power-up aliens?

At this point, I'm curiously pessimistic. I guess we'll wait and see.

Joeadok

Smash Journeyman
I find it funny that the reaction almost everywhere is that It'll be bad by default.

Also: I'm really digging the BG in that render.

Also again: GANVAS.

Mr. Johan

Smash Hero
NNID
Sonicboom93
And I laugh at people that say it will suck when there is no gameplay for it. :D Don't knock it until we have some gameplay footage.

Sega just needs to let Sonic die. I mean there hasn't been a good one since Sonic& Knuckles
Sonic Advance 1 and 3.

D

Deleted member

People are seriously overreacting to this. While I'm not the biggest fan of the name or the gimmick, it should be a good Sonic game. Somewhat looking forward to it.

finalark

SNORLAX
People are seriously overreacting to this. While I'm not the biggest fan of the name or the gimmick, it should be a good Sonic game. Somewhat looking forward to it.
Based on what? The last three Sonic games that were all very poor? We don't have enough information to deem it possibly good, but being 3D Sonic, it's as Firus said. Guilty until proven innocent.

D

Deleted member

@finalark: I personally liked the Wii version of Sonic Unleashed. If they can remove the Werewolf and further improve on the Sonic we all know and love, it could potentially be great.

Firus

BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
I hated the Wii version of Unleashed, and that was supposed to be the best version. I wrote a blog review of it, though it's incredibly long and you probably don't want to read it.

Werehog segments were flailfests (the best strategy in battles was to just flail your arms and hope you kill things -- I tried actually trying to legitimately strategize or even use a different controller and I ended up dying) and shake for homing attack killed me on more than one occasion in the daytime levels.

And then delving more into the gameplay itself, it was...lackluster. The daytime stages were boring, you just ran and ran until suddenly a WALL OF SPIKES occurs or maybe an endless abyss and you have to redo the part and know ahead of time to jump. Which is why you don't run as fast as you possibly can and boost constantly in the original games.

Of course, if you personally liked it that's fine, but objectively, the game had...many flaws.

Lovely

Smash Lord
♣ The nighttime levels were a nightmare in the HD consoles because how long it took to complete it. T_T ♥

♣ But the daytime levels was amazing. Since there's more nighttime levels, you pretty much know why the reviewers rated Sonic Unleashed. ♥

BSP

Smash Legend
Sonic...Colors?

I lol'd at the name. Let's see how STH4 E1 goes, and then come back to this.

CodeBlack

Smash Ace
^^ There were more daytime stages than Nighttime stages, I believe. Every area had one night stage and at least three day stages. The night stages weren't that bad... sure they took forever to complete, but they weren't really boring, especially as you went along. Granted, Atopos was boring because it was easy and Mazuri was just boring, but the other ones were pretty good.

Anyway, those color powers remind me of the elemental shields in Sonic 3, and that makes me very interested.

Hyper_Ridley

Smash Champion
In the Wii version of Unleashed, there was 1 daytime act and 3-5 nightime acts per world, but the nightime acts were just the 1 night level from the HD versions split up

Colors looks decent enough so far. I'll take Mario-style powerups over complete genre changing levels. I wish they would stop using "Sonic's the only playable character!" as a selling point though...Sonic 2, 3&K, the Advance games, the Rush games, and Black Knight have all used multiple characters correctly, and ever since Sonic 2 there was more than 1 playable character.

finalark

SNORLAX
I finished reading the article in Nintendo Power and it sounnds like they're going to change from a 3D perspective to a 2D ones thoughout the levels. The 3D bits sound like they're going to play like Secret Rings (in other words, on-rails BOOSTING!!!!) while the 2D ones are traditional, momentom-based platforming. It could be good, we'll see.

Ryu Shimazu

Smash Master
NNID
Ryushimmy
3DS FC
5000-5048-5681
Sega just needs to let Sonic die. I mean there hasn't been a good one since Sonic& Knuckles ffs, and even that was not that special. EDIT: Except adding another game on the top that was pretty awesome, but the game is expanded Sonic 3.
Sonic needs to die. Sonic Adventure 2 Battle was the last of their success. I never liked the blue hedgehog, so maybe I'm just being mean and biased, but bar-A2B (which was amazing), I always felt Sonic was a failed version of Mario. =/ (I'm refering to 3d)

So I guess I am pessimestic >< In terms of 2D it was amazing, so Sonic4 looks neat. If they found away to make 3D like 2D (like read above) it would be cool, but I lost hope. I haven't played a Sega game in ages...

Sukai

Smash Champion
Sonic needs to die. Sonic Adventure 2 Battle was the last of their success
That's completely subjective.
Shadow the Hedgehog, 06 and Black Knight are the only ones, that are on the record of being unsuccessful.

According to critical reception, most of the 3D titles are average to good.

Go back read some reviews, just to reflect on how these games are viewed today.
Taken from wiki
Of course some games came out bad, but look here, these games were average to good.
Now Sonic is terrible and all his 3D games blow, what happened?

I hate how the Sonic games are always a 'make it, or break it' case, they either have to be perfect, or trash. People are just being pointlessly harsh.

I'm hype for both Colors (both versions) and Sonic 4.

Hyper_Ridley

Smash Champion
Looks awesome so far.

2-act worlds return, and I liked how it focused on the 2d segments.

Drill powerup looks fun, it can bring you to slightly different paths.

Top Bottom