• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Sonic COLORS / Colours

LLDL

Smash Hero
Hmm. I'm not going to elaborate on this game. It's definitely not better than Sonic Unleashed for Wii. They're equal if not this one being a bit worse.

finalark

SNORLAX
Going around looking at the reviews that are out, the positive ones say it's the best Sonic since the 16-bit games while the negative ones seem to needlessly nitpick.

I haven't played the game yet, but I'm willing to bet that the nitpickers would be a lot kinder to the game if it didn't have the name "Sonic" in it's title.

zxeon

Smash Lord
Going around looking at the reviews that are out, the positive ones say it's the best Sonic since the 16-bit games while the negative ones seem to needlessly nitpick.

I haven't played the game yet, but I'm willing to bet that the nitpickers would be a lot kinder to the game if it didn't have the name "Sonic" in it's title.
Maybe but this game has a lot of the same problems Sonic games have had for the last eight years. At some point you have to wonder if they are even trying.

This game probably wouldn't exist if Sonic's name wasn't attached to it. There is no money in generic mascot platfomers that don't have a fan-base attached.

Mr. Johan

Smash Hero
NNID
Sonicboom93
Apparently Go Nintendo is calling bull and questioning the score GameTrailers gave, so lol.

Even so though, 64/100 isn't THAT bad, really. It's "passing," so to speak.

Loads of 8s, a few 9s, few 7s, GameTrailers's 6.4, and Famitsu gave the Wii version 34/40 and the DS version 32/40. Sweet deal.

finalark

SNORLAX
Loads of 8s, a few 9s, few 7s, GameTrailers's 6.4, and Famitsu gave the Wii version 34/40 and the DS version 32/40. Sweet deal.
So long story short, Sonic games are becoming decent again to nearly everyone but the most nit-pickiest of fanboys.

'Bout **** time. Once they get Sonic back on track I want to see Sega focus on their other franchises.

And actually freaking promote them for once.

Mr. Johan

Smash Hero
NNID
Sonicboom93
One Sonic game getting a good aggregate score (or two games back to back, if you want to consider S4:E1) is not making the series "become decent again." Give it a few years and see if this formula can be perfected, then make that claim for this particular engine.

zxeon

Smash Lord
So long story short, Sonic games are becoming decent again to nearly everyone but the most nit-pickiest of fanboys.
How would you define nitpicky? How closely am I allowed to examine a game before I've gone too far? And furthermore what do you look for in a games you like?

finalark

SNORLAX
One Sonic game getting a good aggregate score (or two games back to back, if you want to consider S4:E1) is not making the series "become decent again." Give it a few years and see if this formula can be perfected, then make that claim for this particular engine.
Sorry if I implied that the franchise is there already. I meant to say that it's on the right track and that the Sonic franchise is starting to hit a high point. I just hope that Sega can maintain quality.

How would you define nitpicky? How closely am I allowed to examine a game before I've gone too far? And furthermore what do you look for in a games you like?
nitpick: to criticize by focusing on inconsequential details.

In other words, the take a few things that really don't effect the overall experience and blow them out of proportion to make it sound like they makes the game terrible.

What do I look for in a game? It depends on the genre, but in general I look for originality, well thought out and put together levels, sharp game play, tight and responsive control, and most importantly, fun.

Masmasher@

Smash Lord
Cleveland, Ohio! my homeplace but for now living i
eh trying to skip you guys spolier posts lmao
3/4ths of the soundtrack is going on my i touch
it will be perfect to listen to at practice. no matter the end result im probably still gona buy it lmao.
no matter what sonics too good of a character to just let go. hes had his high and low (very low) points but hes too good of a character creation.

§leepy God

Smash Master
That video was amazing,
I only wish to know when you can get Super Sonic, before or near after you beat the game.

Makes me respect this game more.

Kuraudo

4Aerith
NNID
Kuraudo
It's no easy feat, but it drastically increases the replay value trying to get him. I don't know the exact specifications but I believe you need to collect all the red rings throughout the levels as well.

Kuraudo

4Aerith
NNID
Kuraudo
Why would you even want to? LOL Super Sonic is just about everything they are but...more (yes I know the specific abilities are pretty cool), but it's freaking Super Sonic.

zxeon

Smash Lord
Why would you even want to? LOL Super Sonic is just about everything they are but...more (yes I know the specific abilities are pretty cool), but it's freaking Super Sonic.
I haven't been able to make super Sonic stick to walls like the pink wisp. Sometimes you need to do that kind of stuff in a level.

Mr. Johan

Smash Hero
NNID
Sonicboom93
God ****, it only took you 24 hours to find the 180 Red Rings? Were they easy to find, or did you just devote your gamer instincts to hunting them down?

MetaCritic has Colors's score a "good-but-almost-great" 79/100. But this is without factoring WiiMagazin's Germany, GamePro, ONM, GamesMasters, Joystiq, or Jeuxvideos (and these are just sources I know of from looking around) scores. The former two gave 85+s, Joystiq gave it an 8, and Jeuz gave it 15/20 = 75%

I'm predicting a 83-85% aggregate when everything is said and done. Anyone think that's an appropriate range?

Segtendo

Smash Hero
NNID
Segtend0
3DS FC
2552-4940-9357
Got to play some, and... wow.
This game is everything I expected. God, it's gonna take a while to get used to Roger Craig Smith's voice, but Tails's voice is perfect. The music, wow. I love it all.
At Starlight Carnival, which is real eye candy.

zxeon

Smash Lord
God ****, it only took you 24 hours to find the 180 Red Rings? Were they easy to find, or did you just devote your gamer instincts to hunting them down?
Have I ever told you the story of how I got all the emblems in Sonic Adventure 2: Battle? Because I'm about to tell you right now.

I had just bought my Gamecube from my local Wallmart with my hard-earned summer job cash which meant I was tapped for the rest of the year (excluding holidays and my birthday) as my mother didn't believe in allowances. I got home and I played Sonic like with every waking moment I could spare. I played Sonic so much I forgot the Gamecube could play other games(Not that I owned any other games).

On my way back from school a friend told me I could play as super Sonic if I got all the emblems. Comparing the timestamp on my save file with that of a sane person on could safely say guiding the blue blur through obstacle courses was my obsession. When I heard I could Play as super Sonic I turned playing Sonic into my religion. If anyone had seen how much I played that game they would have certainly put a stop to it but like all habits worth having I abused while unattended.

After months of effort I had Finally amassed 119 emblems. I had no help since I had no money for guides, internet, or friends who actually owned the game. If I had owned the Dreamcast version I would have been within spitting distance from the goal. Seeing I still had much work ahead of me I made plans to stay up late that evening. Under the cover of night I booted up my gamecube and settled in for the tortuous task of playing (I'm using a very loose definition of 'playing' here) some stages with tails. It took me longer than expected to get the medal I needed from eternal engine and when i looked up at the clock on my VCR it was already 4:00 A.M. I then ran upstairs to get some rest before I had to wake up for school because I could not afford to be discovered in the act.

I awoke two hours later got dressed for school and went downstairs to get some quality time in before I had to go to school. Sleep deprived and fighting to stay awake loaded up my save and promptly deleted it. OF course I didn't realize this until I woke up from the impromptu minute long nap.

I was crushed, exhausted, and still had to attend school that day. I went through the seven stages of grief in less than ten minutes. Shock and Denial: I backed out to the title screen an entered again to make sure it wasn't a mistake. I double checked my memory cards. Pain and guilt: my impatience cost me valuable sleep and dozens of hours of gameplay. Anger and Bargaining: couldn't believe I could be so stupid as to delete my own save. Reflection and loneliness: what was done was done. There was no way to get the save back and not backup. The upward turn: was no point dwelling in the pass So I started a new save. Acceptance and hope I had just thrown away about a hundred hours of progress but that time had not gone to waste. I knew every master emerald shard spawn point, all the fastest routes for all of the missions, and all of the location and order of the combos I needed to hit.

I had all 120 emblems back within the week and all 180 a month after that but there was no super Sonic for my toils. All I got were some suits for Sonic and Shadow and the very cool 3D green hill zone.

The cake is a lie.

Poltergust

Smash Master
NNID
Poltergust
3DS FC
3609-1547-9922
It's 3D Green Hill Zone, zxeon. :p

...But now that I think about it, 3D Emerald Hill Zone would have been a lot more epic.

:069:

M.K

Level 55
If I liked SA2:B and SADX, then I'm thinking I should pick this up O_O.
Do you still get the Sonic hat? LOL

Segtendo

Smash Hero
NNID
Segtend0
3DS FC
2552-4940-9357
If I liked SA2:B and SADX, then I'm thinking I should pick this up O_O.
Do you still get the Sonic hat? LOL
If you pre-order, then yes.

Wii version: Terminal Velocity 1, no emeralds :glare:
DS version: Asteroid Coaster 2, 4 emeralds

BSP

Smash Legend
I think I'm going to get this. I just hope it doesn't leave me feeling as let down as unleashed wii did :/

zxeon

Smash Lord
So SA2 can go die in a fire because some friend of yours gave you a false rumor about being able to play as Super Sonic if you get all of the emblems?

... that's what the internet is for, bro.
I think you missed the point of my story. I love Sonic Adventure 2. I think I'm still married to it. We shared so many hours together no one was surprised when I popped the question. It's the lack of a playable super Sonic I hate.

If I had a time machine I could go back to 2002 to buy a computer for my younger self, get him internet access and leave him some pocket money (I have quite a few bills that minted around that time). It's a shame my time/dimension manipulation software and equipment was confiscated just earlier this week by an elderly professor, his son, and a blond female FBI agent.

M.K

Level 55
My only question remains:

When will they bring Chao back T^T.
One of the most enjoyable aspects. I swear, if they made a game with a fully fleshed out Chao habitat/game, I would buy it in a heartbeat!

Segtendo

Smash Hero
NNID
Segtend0
3DS FC
2552-4940-9357
You guys probably won't know this, but 3-2 of the Simulator stages has the same layout Scrap Brain, Act 1 O_o

Top Bottom