• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Something bothering you?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Smash Master
^ you know, if you take out "on", that post could be very weird ;). Also, I've got a little thing that's been bothering me lately. My roommate wakes me up every morning when he gets ready for class because of how loud he is, like closing the door loudly, turning on lights, etc... I, on the other hand, make sure to make as little noise as possible when I get up before him because I am respectful of other people. I just don't understand how someone can be so inconsiderate, or blind when it comes to respecting another persons needs, like sleeping.
Well, I can sleep through pretty much anything, but I have trouble finding my clothes in the morning if the lights are off, so I'd think it rude to expect me to leave the lights off when I wake up in the morning. Of course, I'd expect you to turn the lights on as well.

My roommate keeps throwing away food and never takign out the trash. I've taken out the trash every time since the school year started and I'm not doing it anymore. He hasn't taken the hint so now we are playing "Who can tolerate the most flies?" There are like three flies on my desk at any given time, but I'm not going to cave in.

MBreeto

Smash Ace
Well, I can sleep through pretty much anything, but I have trouble finding my clothes in the morning if the lights are off, so I'd think it rude to expect me to leave the lights off when I wake up in the morning. Of course, I'd expect you to turn the lights on as well.

My roommate keeps throwing away food and never takign out the trash. I've taken out the trash every time since the school year started and I'm not doing it anymore. He hasn't taken the hint so now we are playing "Who can tolerate the most flies?" There are like three flies on my desk at any given time, but I'm not going to cave in.
God, I could talk about so many things I hate about my roommates. One major one is coughing with their mouth open. Come on.

AquaTech

We hit the potjack
Yeah I'll tell you what's bothering me. I have to drive my parents to the airport in an hour so they can fly down to Mexico and go on a cruise. Leave at 3am, get home around 4:30am, waste gas. All so they can go to a warm vacation. Weeeeeee.

MBreeto

Smash Ace
dude I've had to do that, but not that early. That sucks. At least its sunday so you can sleep a little bit.

MBreeto

Smash Ace
oh, so you have this week off? nice. The worst thing I've had to do time wise was get up at 430 every day for a week during the summer to go paint a church that was over 2 hours away from where I lived XD. Also, good luck trying to get back to sleep when you get home. Whenever I like stay up to around 5 or 6, then sun starts to come out and it gets bright in my room and makes it hard for me to get to sleep. I don't know if you have the same problem

AquaTech

We hit the potjack
Just got home, 5:45, blech. Yeah, I had a summer job where I had to wake up at 3am everyday. I would just sleep for about 5 hours everyday after work (which I got out of by noon). Yep, I'm tired, but after 2 hours of driving, I can't just instantly fall asleep.

GoldShadow

Marsilea quadrifolia
BRoomer
The only way to solve roommate problems is to face them and talk about it. I never understood why people enjoy the "not do anything and just take it" or the "passive aggressive" games. There is zero sense in remaining silent and then complaining about it to someone else.

FastFox

Faster than most vehicles
BRoomer
If two people are room mates they should either have the whole, "take-no-****-give-no-****" attitude, or just be great friends and dish it out every now and then.

It takes balls to stand up to a room mate, though. I'll tell you that much.

Smash Master
The only way to solve roommate problems is to face them and talk about it. I never understood why people enjoy the "not do anything and just take it" or the "passive aggressive" games. There is zero sense in remaining silent and then complaining about it to someone else.
Well, see, the problem is that I have annoying habits too, so whoever brings up their roommate's bad habits first is going to be seen as the *****.

I think if we start tossing venom at each other I'll have more ammo, but I really don't want to find out.

Passive aggressive is turning into aggressive agressive for me. I moved the garbage can to my roommate's corner of the room since it's mostly his garbage anyway (like a half-gallon of spoiled milk leftover from winter break). Now he has moved it back, moved my AC, and turned it full-throttle so it's literally spraying flies to me. I can't make my move until he leaves the room. I'll prolly dig out his milk and pour it on his desk, since that's where I cleaned it up from.

SuperBowser

Smash Lord
Wow being passive aggressive is like the worst way to solve roommate problems. It just makes everything worse..

If you don't like sonething, just tell them instead of brooding about it all day. They can't stop annoying you unless they know they are in the first place. And that doesn't mean ''tossing venom''. Just ask them nicely.

e.g. ''Hey Mike could you lower the bass when you play your music in the mornings? It makes my bed shake. Thanks!''

MBreeto

Smash Ace
While the first sentence was pretty logical, the last 2 weren't necessary. I guess people won't understand that everyone doesn't always function the way they want them to. If someone says they don't like creating situations or confrontations, then you're going to have to accept the fact that that's how they are, and try to help them in a different way, instead of telling them to stop complaining in the "Is Something Bothering You" thread. The purpose of this thread is to get something off your chest, so putting someone down because of what they said makes you look really arrogant. Basically what I'm trying to get at is if you don't have something nice to say, don't say it. Sorry if I sound irrational or whatever

For Example, what SuperBowser said was helpful and constructive

Azua

Scourge Cheerleader
Premium
BRoomer
This.

If that doesn't work, I kick 'em out.

DTP

L o s t - in reality~
Well, see, the problem is that I have annoying habits too, so whoever brings up their roommate's bad habits first is going to be seen as the *****.

I think if we start tossing venom at each other I'll have more ammo, but I really don't want to find out.

Passive aggressive is turning into aggressive agressive for me. I moved the garbage can to my roommate's corner of the room since it's mostly his garbage anyway (like a half-gallon of spoiled milk leftover from winter break). Now he has moved it back, moved my AC, and turned it full-throttle so it's literally spraying flies to me. I can't make my move until he leaves the room. I'll prolly dig out his milk and pour it on his desk, since that's where I cleaned it up from.
Yeah, that would piss me off, and I'm sure you have more examples of how your roommate pisses you off, but in this case, you could've just......thrown out the garbage....

Smash Master
I've been the one throwing out the garbage, which is primarily compsed of his stuff, since September. I don't feel like picking up after his lazy *** anymore.

NintendoMan07

Smash Journeyman
Well, with my roommate situation, we're (as in my roommates and I; I live in four bedroom apartment) all kind of taking a bit of responsibility... just not when I'd like. But hey, I'm not the commando, and it never gets as bad as what 1048576 is describing (the trash DOES get taken out, the dishes DO get cleaned, etc.), so I don't flip out about it.

But really, doing SOMETHING about it is better than going into a passive "war" over it, IMO.

Smash Master
But then what does he learn? That he can take advantage of me as long as he's willing to play the waiting game.

I'm soing to buy some insecticide to use exclusively on my desk. Would insect repellant be better?

SuperBowser

Smash Lord
Dude, you should have just asked him back in september to maybe take the trash out every now and then.

You could try a compromise. If he's too lazy to take things out, ask him to at least pay for all the cleaning products. Or use a second bin so you guys don't have to share the trash. Or you do the cleaning and he does something else in return. Unless you're living with a freak, you'll find a compromise that doesn't involve you living with flies.

People always say I'm a really easy-going guy. However, if I don't like something my friends are doing I won't hesitate to say so and it's never caused me problems.

GoldShadow

Marsilea quadrifolia
BRoomer
I guess people won't understand that everyone doesn't always function the way they want them to. If someone says they don't like creating situations or confrontations, then you're going to have to accept the fact that that's how they are, and try to help them in a different way

For Example, what SuperBowser said was helpful and constructive
If we all just accepted each other and never suggested change, then we'd all be stuck in a stagnant cycle of encouraging poor decisions or mediocrity. If someone doesn't like creating situations or confrontations, but the only viable solution involves creating situations and/or confrontation, then that person will just have to man up and create a situation and/or a confrontation. Your approach encourages people to always stay within their comfort zone. All I know is that if I always tried to maintain the status quo with regard to my life or personality, I'd be in a pretty ****ty position right now, and it would be totally my fault for not wanting to step out of my boundaries and change.

Also, SuperBowser said exactly what I said, except with a nicer tone :)

SuperBowser

Smash Lord
Yeah, I just felt like repeating your point and giving an example because he thought you meant tossing venom rather than asking nicely :p

Personally, I think 90% of roommate/flatmate/housemate problems can be solved with simple communication. Normal people don't want to piss off the people they live with. They just need to be made aware of the problem and offered a solution in a friendly way.

mzink*

Smash Ace
My bff is having a bad day and I can't be there to cheer her up. Nothing really bad has happened, just a crummy day she's having, with family and stuff. I hope it gets better for her.

Smash Master
So I told my roommate that his talking on the phone for 40 hours a week and refusal to dispose of his spoiled milk was getting to me; and he blew up in my face. Now we hate each other. Thanks, guys.

Frown

poekmon
So I told my roommate that his talking on the phone for 40 hours a week and refusal to dispose of his spoiled milk was getting to me; and he blew up in my face. Now we hate each other. Thanks, guys.
Was it like

1. "Hey... it would be nice if you could use the phone a little bit less."
2. "You f*cking dork! Shut your mouth and stop making out with my phone, YOU BAS TARD!"

?

MBreeto

Smash Ace
I assume it's the first one. Some people get really defensive whenever they're approached by someone, so I bet his roommate thought he was being backed into a corner

GoldShadow

Marsilea quadrifolia
BRoomer
If your roommate reacts like that, it's a problem with the roommate (NOT the approach). You should look into changing roommates as soon as possible. Better that this happened sooner than later.

Smash Master
I'm locked in till June. Three months I guess I can live with.

I threw out the garbage three hours after asking him to do it and watching him listening to youtube for three hours. I got no response. It's situuations like this where I think the law should make an exception for physical violence.

SuperBowser

Smash Lord
Yeah, seriously. I'm not sure if things changed that much considering you were planning to pour sour milk on his desk... :ohwell:

You shouldn't feel bad for asking someone to not leave rotten milk in a shared room - why live with someone if you're scared to even ask for basic things to be done? But it sounds like you guys have had problems for a while to be honest.

edit: can you really not move out? My sister didn't like her flat when she started uni for various reasons and managed to swap to another place after 6 weeks. Of course it requires some effort so it depends if you'd rather put up with the conflict for 3 more months instead lol.

Smash Master
Yeah, but I never voiced them, except for the garbage. Funny how it didn't change anything. Now the veil is lifted, and we'll be openly hostile to each other, instead of acting civil and then berating eachother behind our backs.

Chaco

Never Logs In
Religion talk in threads annoy me, and I know they do to Xsy.

Smash Master
I agree. I shouldn't have said anything. I should have continued to pretend he's the perfect roomate except for his sloppiness.

He's on his phone right now. :mad: Me politely asking to limit his conversation didn't change anything.

I'm out for revenge. Any ideas.

Chaco

Never Logs In
Alright, so something that's bothering me? How a guy created a fake myspace to get at me for dating one of his friends. Then harassed and cussed all my friends, got some deleted. Got them pissed at me for spreading **** I didn't say. I'm pissed as hell, and there's gonna be an *** beating tomorrow. =D

And the only reason is because he called me out, otherwise, I wouldn't do anything.

Smash Master
Yes, and I know it doesn't seem like a big deal that he's sloppy and talks on his phone too much, but he was on from 11 - 12:00 today; and again from 10:00 to 12:00 after I asked him to please limit his converstion of take it to the lounge. I'ts been getting to me over time, you know. It's hard to concentrate on scholl when I'm hearing laughter for no reason constantly.

We have flies because of him. There was a sink, but he shed all over it so now I can't use it.

We live in a dorm. I feel like making his life miserable. His suffering will make me happier than petting a harem of purring kittens. Any ideas?

Edit: hey you figured out my username. That's cool, I guess.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom