• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Something bothering you?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Smash Master
How far away is the store? It seems like she's disabling your phone in a way. Treat it like your phone broke, except not that severe in terms of priority.

Chaco: I can be perfectly honest with myself in saying "I've tried." I've stayed up all night studying literally countless times (It's over 20 this semester). I've skipped several meals in order to have more time to study. I've done optional homework, bugged my friends for help, all to no avail. Last week I spent all night (12 hours) on an assignment that took my friend two hours to finish. I got a 60%. He got a 100%. I cannot do this material. It's just too hard. I've always been motivated in school because I know that if I fail, I'm screwed for life. Guess what?

Edit: You can interpret commands to fit your everyday life, too. I don't understand why you don't think you can.

My problem is essentially that I cannot avoid constant unhappiness.

Suicide would solve my problem.
Problem solving = strength.
Suicide = weakness.
Do you see the problem with that quote?

Takumaru

Smash Lord
How far away is the store? It seems like she's disabling your phone in a way. Treat it like your phone broke, except not that severe in terms of priority.
To be honest, I have no idea where an AT&T store is in philly. ^_^;;

I should ask cactuar or chibo...

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I dont understand why people take drugs.
That is all.
Because life sucks and is too short.

There is too many things to worry about.

Nothing every works out in the end, even if somehow it does...it doesn't actually matter.

It's probably for the same reasons I drink alcohol.

Livvers

Used to have a porpoise
BRoomer
I dont understand why people take drugs.
That is all.
Because it can be a mind opening experience and is fun if you don't over indulge and don't do the hard stuff. This is coming from someone who used to be very anti-drug but realized how ridiculous it was.

I assume you are saying this in response to someone you know getting messed up from drugs?

Chaco

Never Logs In
Suicide would solve my problem.
You saying that means you must have no loved ones. Because if you committed suicide what would they do? They wouldn't be happy for you, or think "he's finally happy". Because they would mourn over your death and then become sad to. I had a teacher who's son killed himself, after work everyday she goes home and cries in her sons room and sniffs his clothes. Just trying to hang on to him. She'll sleep on his bed, and do anything to make it feel like he's still there. And you think by taking your life it will make things better? No, it won't. If you think it will, your being selfish. you can't just think about your happiness.

Azua

Scourge Cheerleader
Premium
BRoomer
Numbers: her number isn't blocked yet. I can't do that until I can get to an AT&T store and I haven't had any time this semester to do that yet.

AT&T charges about $5 a month extra to be able to block numbers. Stupid, I know, but it's worth it.

Frown

poekmon
You saying that means you must have no loved ones. Because if you committed suicide what would they do? They wouldn't be happy for you, or think "he's finally happy". Because they would mourn over your death and then become sad to. I had a teacher who's son killed himself, after work everyday she goes home and cries in her sons room and sniffs his clothes. Just trying to hang on to him. She'll sleep on his bed, and do anything to make it feel like he's still there. And you think by taking your life it will make things better? No, it won't. If you think it will, your being selfish. you can't just think about your happiness.
This guy is right. You would just give all your sorrow to your loved ones.

A friend of mine jumped in front of a train back in 2006. Her mother has started a blog where she writes about how much she misses her daughter, and she still updates it every day. It's so sad.

ranmaru

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-0654 7794 0698
Man I'm sorry to hear that. Life is complicated, though. Very, very, very complicated.

Just yesterday (or the day before) I thought my dad was a goner. I was getting my haircut, and my mom and sister were waiting for me in the car (I thought they were at home) little did we know that his sugar was low, and mom called and called. She was worried, and I told her we should get home, instead of getting the groceries. Man, moments like these are scary. We called 911 and I tried to be calm as my mom and sis were freaking out, even though I was getting a lil stressed as well.

So thats about it, I was a little bit like... "WHY DID YOU NOT WAIT WITH HIM" ... also thinking that way made me feel like a jerk.

Also, but taking one's life... I would never do that, because I'm afraid of what would happen after. Also there are many things I would like to do, before I'd not be here... like love. :/

Smash Master
Oh yeah, as explained, I'll never do it. I'm way too cowardly and squeamish (weak). If I died I wouldn't care how it affected others. I'm dead.

So yeah, I still don't know how I'm going to avoid starving on the street in two years. I can live very cheaply, but I don't know where I'm going to get my income from.

Also, you guys are crazy. I had a best friend who died of cancer when he was 12. My brother had a seizure and swallowed his tongue at 17. I don't pine over them. In fact, I don't think I even cried at the funeral. If you care that much about a single person, then you're defective.

Edit:

Okay so I dropped a class and changed my major. I feel like a failure because nobody I know has ever dropped a class or changed theor major (and people complain about an 85 on a test...wow). Now I only have 13 credits. What should I do to be productive? I could learn html, a new language, a new programming language, create a new TCG in Java, or something else. I need something to make myself marketable in the future. All of these ideas I've thought of have downsides. I'm asking for advice: what should I do in my spare time so I might not starve on the street in two years.

Marc

Relic of the Past
BRoomer
Oh yeah, as explained, I'll never do it. I'm way too cowardly and squeamish (weak). If I died I wouldn't care how it affected others. I'm dead.

So yeah, I still don't know how I'm going to avoid starving on the street in two years. I can live very cheaply, but I don't know where I'm going to get my income from.

Also, you guys are crazy. I had a best friend who died of cancer when he was 12. My brother had a seizure and swallowed his tongue at 17. I don't pine over them. In fact, I don't think I even cried at the funeral. If you care that much about a single person, then you're defective.

Edit:

Okay so I dropped a class and changed my major. I feel like a failure because nobody I know has ever dropped a class or changed theor major (and people complain about an 85 on a test...wow). Now I only have 13 credits. What should I do to be productive? I could learn html, a new language, a new programming language, create a new TCG in Java, or something else. I need something to make myself marketable in the future. All of these ideas I've thought of have downsides. I'm asking for advice: what should I do in my spare time so I might not starve on the street in two years.

Something bothering me? Yes, you. You can be depressed all you want, but whenever I see you post you're acting like some kind of victim and talking other people down. If you really think your position is that bad, go and get professional help. I'm not kidding.

What you should do in my opinion? Man up and actually pass some classes. Even if this isn't what you want to do, at least get something on your résumé. Considering the financial crisis, you want to get as much studying in as you can right now.

Niiro

Smash Ace
godamit, i'm missing a smashfest during spring break to go visit some random people in Dallas
/irritated.

Smash Master

Something bothering me? Yes, you. You can be depressed all you want, but whenever I see you post you're acting like some kind of victim and talking other people down. If you really think your position is that bad, go and get professional help. I'm not kidding.

What you should do in my opinion? Man up and actually pass some classes. Even if this isn't what you want to do, at least get something on your résumé. Considering the financial crisis, you want to get as much studying in as you can right now.
I've only talked down one person on this thread. Forgive me for being incredulous about someone wishing they scored higher than an 85. For real, though, I would go down on my professor for an 85.

So what was the point of your post. You say my position isn't that bad, but you offer no solution to the problem, just a giant flame.

I've already seeked professional help. It didn't help. Social science is in its infant stages. I have no problem altering my mind, but they don't make drugs potent enough and lobotomy is risky/illegal.

Get what on my resume, html, Perl, French? I believe I asked this in the post you quoted.

I can't pass the classes. I clock in about 40 hours of sleep per week with an hour of forum browsing per day, and 8 hours of recreation/exercise per week. Factor in food and hygiene and I probably study/attend class about 60% of the time. It's not working. The material is too hard for me. I don't know if you've ever taken any kind of serious math before (Calc 3, Physics), but its not like studying helps. You have to have natural talent.

Also, you say I act lik a victim. The bothers me because you're implying that I think someone else is at fault for my predicament. Let me make it quite clear that I know my life sucks because I suck.

Marc

Relic of the Past
BRoomer
It wasn't meant to be a flame, so don't take it like that. I wasn't sarcastic about your position btw, because there isn't an objective way of saying who's in a good position and who isn't really. It's all about how you perceive things and some people can take a whole lot more than others can.

I brought up the bit about professional help because you seem to want attention for your issues (which is perfectly fine). Social science might be relatively young, but there are several succesful interventions for depression and it's a bit too easy to just say "it doesn't work". I don't know if it's just depression you're dealing with, but you get the point. It should be made at least manageable.

I also don't know what you should get on your résumé, because I don't know what you want to do and what you can do. No one here does. If you don't know that yourself, there are consultants for that as well. They have tests to get a grasp on your interests, tests to see what you're capable of etc. Maybe try and talk to your parents?

If you genuinely feel you're doing your best and your classes are too hard, then you should talk it over with a dean. Maybe they can make things easier for you, or maybe you should find something else to do altogether. Just saying starvation is not an option. You say that you suck, but your posting style implies you aren't that stupid. And yes, I consider not feeling in control the position of a victim and if you don't make an effort to get it handled, it's pretty close to being a choice.

SuperBowser

Smash Lord
It's hard to offer advice because I don't know you.

But it's clear you aren't happy with where your life is right now. Maybe you should just take a step back from the whole academic treadmill, look around and decide what you really want. There's nothing wrong in changing plans (everybody ''fails'', but handling the problem is what matters) and it's pretty ****ed unlikely there's only one thing in the whole world you could enjoy becoming.

But if you want to stick with the course you are doing, I honestly think your study technique is at least partly at fault. Working yourself to the point of exhaustion is not the answer; nobody does this because it doesn't work.

Chaco

Never Logs In
Marc, thank you. Acting the part of a victim always is really just ****ty. I agree.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
You could be like me and reevaluate your life to try and discover what's actually important to you...only to realize that nothing really seems to have any real meaning and you don't really care about anything because it just annoys or bores you so you decide that having fun and drinking are just the best things to do...

You all take life too seriously, like it actually matters...It's only temporary, oblivion is eternal...

In all seriousness, girls are too much trouble, financial situations can turn against you, politicians are too corrupt, the country (and world in general) is going to hell...

I don't know if anyone really cares about their life, really. It's just something you have to get done, because there is nothing else.

Laijin

Smash Hero
I hate girls.
All of them are *****es or their is at least one thing wrong with them thats ****ed up.
Guys are so much more chill and realistic.
But im not gay and I am 100% sure I don't like guys.
****. This sucks.

SkylerOcon

Tiny Dancer
I hate guys.
All of them are *****es or their is at least one thing wrong with them thats ****ed up.
Girls are so much more chill and realistic.
But im not straight and I am 100% sure I don't like girls.
****. This sucks.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Girls are so much more chill and realistic.

LOL @ that

Smash Master
I tend to dislike people who are bad at math and talk about trivial things. Women are more likely to have these traits than men.

The thing is, I've seen three counselors and taken antidepressents. It really never helped.

I've always wanted to program, but that's quickly becoming a pipe dream, because the material is really hard. A lot of the time when I go to the professors office hours, there are steps in their problem solving algorthm I'm simply unable to take. For example, I've recently encountered a problem randomizing the contents of an ArrayLinearList (deciding which "slot" gets which "element"). If someone told me the solution, I could implement it, but I wouldn't know how to arrive at a solution for a different, but equally difficult problem. I guess it might be a lack of experience, but it seems like nobody else is experienceing difficulty, and we all have the same amount of experience. I probably have more because I do some of the optional homework.

After that, I want to work in a cubicle, but most importantly, I want to do something that makes me money. I honestly don't care what it is: Poker, medical testing, heavy lifting, heck even prostitution is not "beneath" me (although the disease risk probably puts that option out of the question).

I really do just want to be financially independent. My happiness has always been a function of how likely I will achieve financial independence for as long as I can remember. It's a function of one variable, and as you can imagine that, couple with the chronic depression, I'm pretty miserable right now.

I'm looking for a skill to learn that has the maximum value of (easiness + desirability^2) In other words, I'd like the skill to be easy, but if it's in really short supply and a lot of people are hiring people with said skill, then I'll put forth the effort. Also, there's obviously a cap on the difficulty.

I think it might be fun to write the manual for video games, but I wouldn't know where to begin where I could finish quickly.

I'll visit the career resource center tomorrow. Maybe they have the useful tests/volunteer opportunities

Obviously starving is not an option. I know I have to change my major, and it's incredibly stressful. I already changed it to some ****** major that anyone who can find their butt with both hands can manage. I really wish I had some special talent. I got the highest grade in my AP econ class in high school, but A. I think I was the only one taking it seriously (I know that fully half the class, including everyone else who got an "A"didn't even open the textbook), and B. Econ isn't exactly difficult for someone to perform adequately in.

Are you sure everybody fails, SB? In my circle of friends, I'm the only one.

Also, how else should someone study? Are you saying there's a peak, and if you study more than that you'll actually do worse?

I'm spending way too much time on these forums...

GoldShadow

Marsilea quadrifolia
BRoomer
Like SB said, it's not how much you study, it's how you study. I tutor intro bio kids and they all have the same problem: they don't know how to study. There's no magic formula; ideal technique is different for everyone, so I try to help them find ways that work for them, or show them what worked for me. Most people don't know how to study, so they end up going at it for hours and hours and hours but still end up with mediocre results. I've seen this more times than I care to count. Every time, the person is shocked that they "studied so much" but "only got a C" and that they "don't know what else they could've done". It's not an issue of "what else" or "how much" but a matter of "how".

AquaTech

We hit the potjack
Like SB said, it's not how much you study, it's how you study. I tutor intro bio kids and they all have the same problem: they don't know how to study. There's no magic formula; ideal technique is different for everyone, so I try to help them find ways that work for them, or show them what worked for me. Most people don't know how to study, so they end up going at it for hours and hours and hours but still end up with mediocre results. I've seen this more times than I care to count. Every time, the person is shocked that they "studied so much" but "only got a C" and that they "don't know what else they could've done". It's not an issue of "what else" or "how much" but a matter of "how".
Yes, I "totally" understand what "you're saying." The "advice you've" given is "invaluable" and I "will" apply it "to" my study habits"."

|RK|

Smash Marketer
So it turns out the internet has been taking credit for MY Nintendo Power scans of TMNT: Smash Up that I posted sometime in December. The internet is so ungrateful...

SuperBowser

Smash Lord
^Indeed, GS. For example, my friends find it exceptionally funny that I revise while singing along to my music at the same time :urg:.

Studying is a very personal thing, but there's some basic principles you need to follow. IMO, no one should need to put the sort of hours you currently are and still be struggling. Foregoing sleep to work is simply counter productive. Your college must have some sort of obligation to your well-being and that should include academic support. Ask for advice.

Also, if you really have depression, that's going to take a toll on your concentration and learning (along with lack of sleep) =/. Have you tried everything with your doctor? There's more than just pills for depression.

And I can assure you that everyone will fail at something in their life. It's just not neccessarily exams. But what does it matter? At the end of the day, you need to do what is right for you, not meet some social expectation at the expense of yourself.

ndayday

stuck on a whole different plaaaanet
BRoomer
^Awww...highlight it, or maybe even copy/paste it into the quick reply box, then read it.
That's what I do with annoying text.

Oh, and I'm slightly irked by the fact that I don't like kids. They're so annoying, and do the most stupid things. I can't understand why though, to me it's like nails on a chalkboard everytime I see them do something or say something dumb.

Smash Master
My method of study works for rote memorization (should have been a doctor), but math is a whole different ballgame. In math, the professor won't give you the test questions, so after you've memorized all that you can, you have to work problems that you think will be similar to problems you'll see on the test. I don't know what to do when I start working a practice problem, nd I get a different ansewr, and even after reading the book and all my notes I still don't know how the text got its answer. At that point it's usually too late to seek help, so I'm kind of up the creek. Also,even if I manage to do the practice problems, there's always a few questions on the test that are dissimilar enough from what I worked, looked up, and corrected, that I can't do them.

Does anyone specifically have any tips for studying for a math test? I mean, after reading the book and the notes and working the problems in the text what else can I do?

Edit: I didn't know there are others out there who hate kids. I also despise them. I think they're all hideous, and they're becoming increasingly ********. Kids love me though, it's weird.

Scott!

Smash Lord
Kids are annoying, but so were you at that age. Don't believe me? It's true. And they're not getting "********"; you're just getting farther away from that point in your life where you were like that. At least, this is what I force myself to think when I'm surrounded by immature kids. I was more reserved as a kid than most, but I was just as dumb. Someday, I'll look back at how dumb I am right now too. And if you ever have your own kids, you'll love them even when they're annoying as heck.

Smash Master
I know I was a ******** kid. I hear stories from my parents. I'm ashamed of myself for some of the stipd things I said as a child. If I were supreme overlord of the universe, I would shoot all the children who act as ******** as I did.

People keep telling me I'll love my own kids, but I don't believe them.

AquaTech

We hit the potjack
I know I was a ******** kid. I hear stories from my parents. I'm ashamed of myself for some of the stipd things I said as a child. If I were supreme overlord of the universe, I would shoot all the children who act as ******** as I did.

People keep telling me I'll love my own kids, but I don't believe them.
How do you think your parents felt when they were raising you? :p The payoff is when the child matures (gets to your age now) and start to become good adults capable of raising a family, or being successful at something else. They're not annoying little kids forever.

DRD

Smash Lord
At 14, those hormones make your brain f*** up badly. You think you're in love with eight girls at one time, and you have moments when you're feeling like you have the worst life in the universe followed by feelings of skipping across a field of flowers in utter bliss.
long-*** time ago quote time

I must be the exception to this

I didn't really change very much, if anything I became more subdued, but that was because I was really shy (not really anymore though), and that was right when I got into high school

Chaco

Never Logs In
My best friends boyfriend is a psycho.

Okay, so they're in a fight and she says" I think we need to take a break". He flips his **** and tells her he;s coming over, she tells him not to. Turns out he was waiting two blocks over. How sketch is that? Gets worse...

He pulls into her driveway and gets out of his car with a knife! And just hold it the whole time they are talking. He leaves and later sends hera text message saying "If I ever hurt you, I'd be okay if you hit me back"

WTF?! He's a psycho.

Chaco

Never Logs In
She's literally afraid to.

And her mom thinks her boyfriend is wonderful.

Livvers

Used to have a porpoise
BRoomer
Well, she needs to talk to her parents about how the situation really is and get the cops or a restraining order involved. He WILL starting beating her.

Chaco

Never Logs In
I WILL start beating him.

But seriously, she's afraid to tell her parents. So she has a lot of her friends around her at all times.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom