• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Something bothering you?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DRD

Smash Lord
Agreed

At 14 all you really have to worry about is school-work

best thing you can do to prepare yourself for the stuff that comes in at around 17 to 20 and around there is to work hard

I started late with that, but now I try to spend long hours finishing all of my work in one sitting, not procrastinating, etc

Just trying to be a little more responsible in general

Cause before I just had to remember homework, which was already hard for me because I have an abysmal memory
And now I have stuff to keep track of like college portfolios and applications, and my school assignments have turned into term papers and stuff that take time management

At any rate, being older does have a nice feeling to it

plus if you're older you can have a beard >=)

GOD!

Smash Ace
that wasn't trolling. single-parent households suck. Unless you think divorce is good. and most of the women end up with the children. So it is hard for a woman. It is also hard for a man. And psychologically men and women do have different abilities. So.... chill out. I wasn't trying to get anyone riled up.

Thanks DRD, it's niceto see someone I don't even know is sticking up for me. =)

momochuu

Smash Legend
NNID
Momochuu
3DS FC
2380-3247-9039
I just noticed something about myself. I tend to set my expectations really high. I also get easily depressed, so this isn't a good mix.

Is there anything I can do so I can be easier on myself?

NintendoMan07

Smash Journeyman
I just noticed something about myself. I tend to set my expectations really high. I also get easily depressed, so this isn't a good mix.

*looks at title*

I'm in the same boat, I think. Really, I turned in something late yesterday that IMO was actually subpar work for me. The thing is... I don't even know the real grade for it yet, so for all some optimist knows I could get a passing grade on the thing. And even if I don't... it only counts for roughly 6.25% of my grade, and I'm not even failing.

Yet, even looking at those figures, I STILL feel horrible about it. I mean... for me it's not about the actual circumstances half the time, it's about what it means to me.

Even if that's not that kind of thing you're talking about, I still felt like venting that out. School doesn't like me as much as it used to... :urg:

ranmaru

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-0654 7794 0698
Being older sucks when you don't have a job and still live with your parents... :[ But yeah, hopefully I'll get a job soon though.

¯\_S.(ツ).L.I.D._/¯

Smash Legend

Just set the bar lower.... It works, and you feel better about yourself when you something good. Also, don't criticize yourself. It works.

DtJ Jungle

Check out my character in #GranblueFantasy
BRoomer
setting the bar high isnt the problem, but becoming easily depressed is a problem?

you should take a look at what has made you depressed and for what reason. I don't want to speak for you, but sometimes it's just something sort of blown out of proportion.

Is your metaphorical bar comparative? or are you just setting it somewhere for yourself? if it's comparative, try to make it so that you aren't competing against other people, but doing something because you want to achieve a certain goal or level. if you are already doing that, take what you learned from your experience and reflect on waht you did wrong :D

Smash Master
I compare myself to others a lot, and I know it makes me miserable. How else do you set goals though? Let's say I can lift 300 pounds (I'm just making up a random number). Is that good? How do I know?

The only way I know that I'm good at something is because I'm better at it than the people I know of. If everyone else played like M2K, I would say that I suck at Brawl. If M2K played like a five-year-old and everyone else except me scaled down proportionally, I would say that I'm good at Brawl.

Edit: that guy complaining about his 85% is pissing me off. I stay up all night constantly to pull a "C" He gets 4-5 hours of sleep and that's hard!? Please. Your life is great. Be happy about it.

BTW I need a 3.5 for my National Merit Scholarship. We're in the same boat, except I work harder and have less to show for it. Same old story.

I'm 14 and it sucks. I know life is gonna get harder. All you should do is accept that childhood is over and prepare for adulthood. Prepare as much as you can for responsibilities, and suck. You can never prepare enough though. Too many things are rushing through your minds.
Prepare Yourself?

Livvers

Used to have a porpoise
BRoomer
Edit: that guy complaining about his 85% is pissing me off. I stay up all night constantly to pull a "C" He gets 4-5 hours of sleep and that's hard!? Please. Your life is great. Be happy about it.
With that mentality there would be only one person in the entire world who could complain. Just because someone else has it worse than you doesn't make your troubles matter any less. People who are used to themselves meeting a certain standard and achieving less have right to complain and be upset, because it is indeed an upsetting thing. You getting pissed off about this is just poor manners on your part.

Frown

poekmon
At 14, those hormones make your brain f*** up badly. You think you're in love with eight girls at one time, and you have moments when you're feeling like you have the worst life in the universe followed by feelings of skipping across a field of flowers in utter bliss.

Smash Master
With that mentality there would be only one person in the entire world who could complain. Just because someone else has it worse than you doesn't make your troubles matter any less. People who are used to themselves meeting a certain standard and achieving less have right to complain and be upset, because it is indeed an upsetting thing. You getting pissed off about this is just poor manners on your part.
I used to get A's too.

If he's allowed to be upset with an 85, why can't I be upset with people who are upset about 85s. I'd kill for an 85.

It's like the one time some guy *****ed because his dog died of a seizure like nine days after my brother died in like fashion. You'd prolly suggest I keep my mouth shut then too.

Different people are brought up with different ethical standards, I guess.

Find me someone who's doing worse in Data Structures and Algorithms (who used to do well in school), and I'll probably be happy about my C.

Also, and I'll acknowledge this is probably in poor taste, he's sleeping at night. If he were really concerned about his grade, he'd get out of bed and study.

NintendoMan07

Smash Journeyman
I used to get A's too.

If he's allowed to be upset with an 85, why can't I be upset with people who are upset about 85s. I'd kill for an 85.

Also, and I'll acknowledge this is probably in poor taste, he's sleeping at night. If he were really concerned about his grade, he'd get out of bed and study.
You both have great points, although for me, Numbers wins in this one. I really ought to shut up about school. Sure I'm not meeting a standard and I'm upset about it, but then again, it's merely just me driving myself insane over pointless stuff, like school, Brawl, and life.

1048576, if you still have issues with me over this, then PM me so we don't make this topic a wreck for everyone else.

Good grief, I'm such a doormat...

Takumaru

Smash Lord
I used to get A's too.

It's like the one time some guy *****ed because his dog died of a seizure like nine days after my brother died in like fashion. You'd prolly suggest I keep my mouth shut then too.

Different people are brought up with different ethical standards, I guess.

Find me someone who's doing worse in Data Structures and Algorithms (who used to do well in school), and I'll probably be happy about my C.
Now your just trying to find a reason to whine and be miserable. Everyone is dealt different cards. If an 85% is bad for him, he can be upset about it. You have no place being upset at someone for having different standards than you do. That's just pathetic. There are some people that would kill to even be in college and right now I would kill for a C in half of my classes. Stop trying to turn everything into a pity party for yourself; nothing is going to improve that way. I just failed 2 exams in a row. I studied for hours and hours for each of them. I got upset for an hour or so. Now I'm re-evaluating my study strategies (again...) and trying to fix my problem. You should do the same.

This is just plain stupid. Your brain doesn't store information correctly if you don't sleep; that's a fact. Seriously it's better to study 70% of the information you're given and sleep on it the day before a test than it is to cram in 100% of the information and not sleep. At least you're brain will store that 70% more successfully than it would if you cram. If you don't sleep all you're doing is screwing yourself over in the long run.

NintendoMan07

Smash Journeyman
I have no idea what to say now, actually.

I can't rant about school, because I don't deserve to.
If I rant about videogames, it somehow turns into how I seem to feel a greater sense of accomplishment from that than from school, which, of course, I still don't deserve to talk about.
If I rant about my lack of friends in general, it again somehow turns into a school and/or videogames rant.

Wow, actually, 1048576 totally killed anything I could vent about. Then again... it's all things that I've been round and round about with myself and other people for awhile, so I guess I really OUGHT to shut up and do something, although I'm not sure what.

mzink*

Smash Ace
My good friend is having a baby any day now, (could have had it already) and I haven't been able to get in touch with her or her family for 3 days!!! I keep missing their phone calls and they keep missing mine. I don't have a message machine. I wana know if there's a baby!!

Livvers

Used to have a porpoise
BRoomer
God, THANK YOU Taku.

And Nintendo, you sound like you're just letting him shut you up and making you feel bad. School IS important. You have a RIGHT as a human being to want more. You have a right to complain, because it is something IMPORTANT to YOU. Quit letting Numbers crap on you.

"It's like the one time some guy *****ed because his dog died of a seizure like nine days after my brother died in like fashion. You'd prolly suggest I keep my mouth shut then too."

I have no clue what the hell you just said there. He complained that his dog died? So what? You told him to shut up because your brother just died? Wtf.

Chaco

Never Logs In
Complained that his dog died? So what? You told him to shut up because your brother just died? Wtf.
I really didn't get that either, not everyone is going to mourn over his brother. Other people can mourn over the loss of a pet. Not everyone has to conform to his morning.

Also, Livvers, you changed your avatar. o:

~rh

Smash Lord
I just got cut from our Varsity Tennis team D:

I was really good a few years ago and I went into tryouts 3 days late and rusty as all hell. Eh, things could be worse, however. =p

-brushes it off-

Chaco

Never Logs In
I just got cut from our Varsity Tennis team D:

I was really good a few years ago and I went into tryouts 3 days late and rusty as all hell. Eh, things could be worse, however. =p

-brushes it off-
Dude that sucks, I play varsity for my high school.

Yeah going late, having not practiced and being really rusty would cause you to be cut.

Speaking of varsity tennis, wehave our first match tomorrow. I'm kinda nervous cause I'm playing at 1 over 3 Seniors. And I'm a sophmore, so I'm nervous. I'll be playing like the 22nd in state.

Chaco

Never Logs In
Thanks, I'll need it. We're playing the people who won state last year ...first of course.

NintendoMan07

Smash Journeyman
Why does everyone around me seem to ENCOURAGE mediocrity? Lately, it's all been:

"It's okay if you turned in a project late that's worth 6.25% of your grade, and it's fine that it didn't work."
"It's okay that you come to every class except a few late. Besides, the prof just spins tales for the first few minutes anyway."
"It's okay that you don't get out much. Sure it's mundane just going to classes and studying all the time, but at least you get stuff done."
"It's okay for you to suck at Brawl. I mean, who cares if you suck?"

Is this just all some bigger part of "playing to win"? I mean, if you think about it, "playing to win" is all about doing what's legal to win, regardless of morals/ethics/whatever, right? So encouraging mediocrity is perfectly legal, and not only THAT, but it easily eliminates competition! You just tell some poor sap that it's perfectly fine to settle for less than best, they believe it, and hey, look, he's not a threat anymore!

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Why does everyone around me seem to ENCOURAGE mediocrity? Lately, it's all been:

"It's okay if you turned in a project late that's worth 6.25% of your grade, and it's fine that it didn't work."
"It's okay that you come to every class except a few late. Besides, the prof just spins tales for the first few minutes anyway."
"It's okay that you don't get out much. Sure it's mundane just going to classes and studying all the time, but at least you get stuff done."

Is this just all some bigger part of "playing to win"? I mean, if you think about it, "playing to win" is all about doing what's legal to win, regardless of morals/ethics/whatever, right? So encouraging mediocrity is perfectly legal, and not only THAT, but it easily eliminates competition! You just tell some poor sap that it's perfectly fine to settle for less than best, they believe it, and hey, look, he's not a threat anymore!
Everyone encourages mediocrity because that's one less person they have to deal with.

Besides, I don't really see what's important with being the best anyway...since it doesn't really mean anything.

I also thought it was regardless of legality, but whatever. I always thought morals and ethics were more important that what's legal.

Edit: I guess my point is, I don't care about proving to anyone else I am the best, I only care about proving to myself that I am the best.

Takumaru

Smash Lord

They're lazy so it's ok for everyone else to be lazy to. No one gives a flying **** about competition outside of a very small group of people and most of them are in med-school. In some people opinions all you need to do is enough to survive; that's why it's ok if you turned in a project late that's only worth 6.25% of your grade. You still have 93.75% to work with. I doubt most people want to see you get screwed over. But this could just be the 10% of me that has any faith in humanity talking.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
What's bugging me now is wondering why Snape kills Dumbledore. I haven't read that book yet, but I was spoiled before it was released anyway.

NintendoMan07

Smash Journeyman
They're lazy so it's ok for everyone else to be lazy to. No one gives a flying **** about competition outside of a very small group of people and most of them are in med-school. In some people opinions all you need to do is enough to survive; that's why it's ok if you turned in a project late that's only worth 6.25% of your grade. You still have 93.75% to work with. I doubt most people want to see you get screwed over. But this could just be the 10% of me that has any faith in humanity talking.
The person that provided most of the material for the subject plays competitive Smash, and of course does well in his classes (as far as I know). That doesn't sound like a lazy person to me.

Lemonwater

Smash Ace
I have a massive history final on Saturday and I still haven't begun studying lol

Instead took a nap, then I went to the gym with my friend since she wanted us to get some exercise together, and then went shopping at the grocery store, and now I'm at my other friend's place with my roomie playing Oblivion =(

Takumaru

Smash Lord
I have a massive history final on Saturday and I still haven't begun studying lol

Instead took a nap, then I went to the gym with my friend since she wanted us to get some exercise together, and then went shopping at the grocery store, and now I'm at my other friend's place with my roomie playing Oblivion =(
Responsible Solution: Quit oblivion and study now.

Realistic Solution: Cram tonight and pray that god has mercy on your soul. ^_^

Pardon the wall of text and the swearing. It's a long story that brings up a lot of negative emotions.

I'm in a very complicated situation right now. Well, it's more creepy than complicated. One of my close friends from high school broke up with her boyfriend, who another close friend of mine, a couple months ago. She was the one who called it off and she never gave anyone a reason. The night they broke up she was a complete mess so her friends called me and asked me to call her to try and calm her down because she had completely isolated herself from everyone. I called her, she screamed at me for almost an hour about random stuff and I listened to her because I thought that's all she needed. The "conversation" went to **** really quickly. She started directing her *****y mood at me yelling at me because "I'm nothing but a selfish ******* that only cares about himself. I abandoned her by going to college in philadelphia and she'll never forgive me for ruining her life and being so selfish." I told her she needed to calm down because I wasn't going to help her is she was going to attack me. Things got even worse. She broke down to something between a cry, a scream, and a maniacal laugh and told me "she always loved me and only me and that I wasn't really gay, I was just running away from her, but she could fix me."
At this point I had to concentrate VERY HARD on not spazzing out on her for saying that. I calmly told her that she needed to calm down because she was crossing lines that would end our friendship. She said she didn't care, so I said "fine, now if you excuse me, I have to go study for my chemistry exam tomorrow. Go talk to someone who can do something about your problems or try talking to the people who are actually in indiana that care about. You know, the ones you abandoned for no reason." and I hung up.

A few weeks later I got a text message from her saying she had calmed down and she wanted to talk. It was immediately followed by a call from her so I answered. The same thing happened with a fixation on how I "abandoned everyone when I left for college". I'm struggling to keep my cool at this point. Then she breaks into a flurry of swearing calling me "a selfish ***** ******". I snapped. I said "Listen to me. I have my own ****ing life to live. If you don't like it then **** you. I didn't have to be there for you when you and <boyfriend> broke up. I wanted to take his side the entire time but I didn't. You were the one who tossed everyone aside for no reason. If I wanted to I could break contact with you and anyone else in indiana at a whim; it would be like I never existed there and believe me when I say I'm very good at disappearing. From this point on I don't want to hear from you. We can talk when I say so and, honestly, I don't know if that time will ever come. Good bye, <girl friend>, I hope you get things worked out." and I ended the conversation there.

I wish the story ended there but it doesn't. She sends me regular text messages telling me about lesbians that think she's cute, people/teachers she hit, things she hates, people she wants to kill, and she keeps ending every message with "your little sister misses you". I don't have a younger sister... oh wait, she's calling herself my "little sister". And now she's decided she wants to get back together with <boyfriend> but she still only loves me. Whenever I fly home she sends me a text message at the exact time my plane should take off and land. She somehow got my class schedule and sends me stuff like "is your chem prof still a *****?" (I <3 my chem prof) and "how's lunch taste today? what did you get?"
EDIT: I left out something. She also keeps asking me how my love life is going, if I'm seeing anyone, if they're a boy or girl (I'm gay, not bisexual) and if I've had sex with another man yet.

Yeah... I'm going to get her number blocked. Oh, my mother works at my old high school and <girl friend> won't leave her alone. This whole thing is really ****ed up and I don't need to deal with it right now. :mad:

황미영

Smash Champion
Whoa... That's some crazy stuff there Takumaru... Just clone yourself and send her your clone so she can be happy. xD

What is bothering me at the moment is Star Ocean! I'm in the trial labyrinth and I have no clue as what to do with the room full of the switches I keep trying different combinations but I run into a battle every five seconds and my party members are *******es and get themselves killed! So basically I've been wasting most of my game time in there and it's quite annoying. D:

~rh

Smash Lord
Well can tell you this, that story had me occupied in class. :)

I hope you get everything settled with her, man.

Frown

poekmon

Will it help if I advice you to study?

Wall of text
taht wuz quit3 a mouthful!!1

i gess ur used 2 that kind of thign

Zip.

Smash Lord
Being older sucks when you don't have a job and still live with your parents... :[ But yeah, hopefully I'll get a job soon though.
Agreed, but i have a really crappy job that doesnt give me much hours plus i have no car... ;_____________;

Chaco

Never Logs In
Tak, your in a really ****ty situation man. Best thing I can think of at the moment, is to confront her about it. Literally go back home and talk to her. you can't work this out over a phone. It doesn't work that way. Because you can't read body language over a phone to see exactly how you need to go about it. She may just be upset, or she may be a crazy somthin' who wants your ****. My guess, is she's just upset you left her and compiled emotions made her take it out on you. You were an easy way for her to escape her current problem so she has directed everything at you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom