• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

SoCal Power Rankings (October 28, 2007)- Will the update ever happen?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JTB

Live for the applause
Premium
o.O

i have a better idea
it will seriously just naturally move up people

people who have not attended one tourney and show no interest in smash since hte last update should be taken off the list.

yes, i'm suggesting we take ken off the list *gasp*

get it? he doesn't play the game anymore.

same applies to anyone else on the list who doesnt' play the gameor have interest in it.
I agree. There should be a rule imposed, like if a certain player hasn't appeared at a tournament in 3-4 months, then are considered inactive and put on an inactive list?

Gimpyfish62

Banned (62 points)
BRoomer
go ahead and put the players who are obvious contenders but are inactive, but i dont think they should necessarily be on the list.

keeping them on the list isn't exactly encouraging them to go to anything anyways

i'm just saying, overall, this would be a good idea for the entire community. more players would have a chance to be ranked who should seriously be considered for these rankings, in addition to encouraging players to actually consistently attend tournaments

NeighborhoodP

Smash Hero
amen. it's a really motivating thing to be able to make the list, and taking off the people who just don't show up or placing them on their own inactive list would add to that. if you think it would belittle the purposes of the list, well, just cut it back down to 20.

Gimpyfish62

Banned (62 points)
BRoomer
p is a perfect example of somebody who is right on the cusp of being on this list and would be benefitted by this, not just because there would be more room, but because there would be more motivation.

socal has a lot of depth and this really encourages everyone overall to improve. so get on this panelist.

gimpyfish for panelist.

MaNg0

Smash Hero
IF i were a panelist

I would probably be the worst panelist of all time

I would like move joey 2 number 25 so i could laugh

rofl

and i would put hugo number 1
because he would be the happiest lol

and gimpy in his own catergory

"bowser player"

edrees would get his own catergory

"gay stage category"

I would get my own

"i ****"

NeighborhoodP

Smash Hero
it's funny cause a lot of the panelists haven't played a lot of so cal. not extensively anyway. i haven't played one person on the panelist list more than once or twice, and even that was 6+ months ago. (edrees and hugo)

I still don't know why Alex isn't a panelist, he goes to so many tournies and plays so many people

NeighborhoodP

Smash Hero
which includes ken.

but you're gimpyfish and i'm not. if you got mexican to stop saying that annoying *** ****, who knows what else you can do.

Gimpyfish62

Banned (62 points)
BRoomer
it doesn't matter who it includes, its a matter of inactive vs active, there should be no exceptions

go ahead and put a side note that says "ken, the king of smash, the best player of all time who reigned king of the game for years is no longer actively playing, however, we still wanted to aknowledge his accomplishments in some way"

whatever, doesn't matter, but get people who dont play off the list

LuCKy

Smash Master
well i guess the only ones causing problems with the list are like ken,mana and arash right?

HugS

Smash Champion
Southern California (818) San fernando valley
We have always had a rule for removing inactive players. But it is a very loose rule.

2 voting periods of attending no tournaments will get you removed. Ken was at the last one. So he would need to not show up for a long time before he is removed.

Now if you are suggesting we get stricter, then continue suggesting. We will look into it.

mikeHAZE

Smash Legend
i suggest you get stricter on tournament attendance, lol. I think either one update without attendance, or two months without a tournament should result in a removal from the list until they begin showing up again, or they prove themselves to still be at a ranked level.

NeighborhoodP

Smash Hero
i mean, being ranked should be something you're relatively proud of, right? then work for it. earn it. just like it's not enough for azn chef to show up at one tournament, **** everyone, get ranked and stay ranked, it shouldn't be enough to play well enough to get ranked and then just only sparingly attend.

of course, there should be some subjectivity thrown into it. if you show up once and beat hugo and alex or whatever then it's much harder to take you off than if you just beat people ranked much lower. but the general point remains.

JTB

Live for the applause
Premium
One update without a tournament should do it. There are tournaments nearly every weekend in Socal, so people can't john about lack of tournaments. 2 months is too short of a time period though.

Obviously, summer can be an exception, seeing as there are fewer tournaments.

Gimpyfish62

Banned (62 points)
BRoomer
Gimpyfish62 (12:50:45 AM): larry would never john about anything
Gimpyfish62 (12:50:46 AM): lol
thelegendofLuCKy (12:50:45 AM): lol
thelegendofLuCKy (12:50:48 AM): future
thelegendofLuCKy (12:50:54 AM): love story
thelegendofLuCKy (12:51:00 AM): killing demons
Gimpyfish62 (12:50:53 AM): what?
Gimpyfish62 (12:50:54 AM): LOL
thelegendofLuCKy (12:51:05 AM): oops
Gimpyfish62 (12:50:58 AM): wtf are you talking about
thelegendofLuCKy (12:51:08 AM): wrong window
thelegendofLuCKy (12:51:09 AM): lmao

$BONE$

Smash Ace
oh gosh. come on now. p, have you ever even made it far enough into the bracket to play edrees or hugs (who place high). it's not like they've robbed that opportunity from you, its there. just mm hugs/dsf like i did. gotta let the panelists know where you stand somehow, even if your brackets are next to impossible. like, 3 shieks and a jigglypuff that knows how to play you.

i do agree with putting inactive players on a different list at the least & i think gimpyfish would make a pretty good panelist. he's active. alex would be ideal also. i would make a good panelist too. *hint* hint* :lick:

people like,

boss
saint patrick
morb (is he new? wow. he's ****)
kira
pbody
ezynjay
danimals
rickety (when he tries)

im pretty sure are bordering. why aren't you on this list?

Arash

Smash Lord
i guess this means i should go to more tournaments

after the trip to asia (aka january) i should be a little more active;)

EdreesesPieces

Smash Bros Before Hos
BRoomer
NNID
EdreesesPieces
There's one little problem with taking people off the list when they become inactive. What if they suddenly become active and they are just as good? Do we just bump them right back to that spot? It's not quite that simple. I think we should set a standard a bit more strict than the one we have now, but we have to be careful in how we set that standard, or some people are gonna jump between 10th and not being on the list several times, which is would be weird. People also complain that people can't move up the list fast enough - so if we take someone OFF the list, and then they come back and are really good, we should just put them back where they were? It's pretty complicated and I think it requires a lot of care and delicacy before that time span is decided.

We would possibly make two lists. A sort of "power board" (which is more like what we have now) and a "hot players" list that's updated strictly on every tournament, miss a major tournament and you'd get knocked down it bigtime. If you're hot long enough you'd be getting moved up the power board as well.

Also, I like the idea of listeing a pool of players that were considered for the rankings but didn't make it. Just list them so they know they are close. I think it would be a good motivation factor.

Oh, and If you want your suggestion given strong attention, I suggest you make it detailed - ie, I could take your post and apply a power rankings system based on it, like the specifics I have just done. Lately people have been doing this alot though, which is really good!

Ie

Good: People should move up if they beat 2-3 ranked players and don't lose to noobs.
Bad : You don't move people up enough.

Like that.

NeighborhoodP

Smash Hero
oh gosh. come on now. p, have you ever even made it far enough into the bracket to play edrees or hugs (who place high). it's not like they've robbed that opportunity from you, its there.
lol @ putting words in my mouth. you're bad at reading comprehension.

boss
saint patrick
morb (is he new? wow. he's ****)
kira
pbody
ezynjay
danimals
rickety (when he tries)

im pretty sure are bordering. why aren't you on this list?
Jay is better than everyone on that list. You barely even know anyone's skill level who's not in SD anyway.

Knivez

Smash Ace
dude edrees, you're in my crew and i love you and all.

but no one gives a **** about the tier list that much.

k?

wow im a ****.
but edrees is a puzy.
so we have to mate.

LuCKy

Smash Master
Jay is better than everyone on that list. You barely even know anyone's skill level who's not in SD anyway.
nah P i know jay is good but so are the other players bone listed he knows what hes talkin bout morb is actually really good even though he goes to no tourneys same for danimals and i think boss and rickety are very good smashers from SD who could make it to the PR if they went to more tourneys as for kira i havnt seen him play in a while but i know hes pretty good

and P body is pro he just plays to much pokemon:)

EdreesesPieces

Smash Bros Before Hos
BRoomer
NNID
EdreesesPieces
dude edrees, you're in my crew and i love you and all.

but no one gives a **** about the tier list that much.

k?

wow im a ****.
but edrees is a puzy.
so we have to mate.
That's good because I don't care about the 'tier list' either :laugh: but lets mate anyway

i wrote a long post because i was in downtime and work and I need entertianment..

And P, bone has played all those players on the list, could you say the same?

The Game II

Smash Champion
I wrote about this on my site ... looking for the article ... OK

The main issue is time.

The last time the PR was updated was 10/28. Before that ... three months ago? Four months ago?

I can go through the problems with the PR, but the main thing to me is that time is a big factor. If you guys updated it more often, say every two weeks (which is what I recommend) then it would make things much more interesting.

But because it's updated almost quarterly, then we're taking into account 12-15 tournaments, and because of that, then there's almost no room for movement unless you get a guy like Mango who shoots up the rankings, or some guy goes 31-1 at a bunch of SnC tournaments, in which he'd only barely make it onto the board.

The rankings are updated so infrequently, that in a rare instance you get Mango-like jumps (I think his case was NR to 21 to 5 to 3 to 2). Among the top 10, they just move around themselves but they never move out of the 10. The other 15 is where most of the movement happens.

There's enough tournaments every week to update the rankings every two weeks. I know, people will get on here with time johns so you don't have to say it. Update the rankings every two weeks, or even three weeks, and then you put the pressure on players to get out there more often (and then you can use that "Infrequent" Clause).

ok I can't think of anything else and I'm leaving now to go watch some pro players.

by the way, I told the same thing to NorCal and they said GTFO STFU.

--GCII

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom