• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

SoCal Power Rankings (October 28, 2007)- Will the update ever happen?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lesheik

Smash Lord
Take Gabe or Manacloud out and put JTB in the next rankings. Gabe and Manacloud don't go to that many tournaments anymore and I think think that JTB deserves to be in the rankings IMO.

NeighborhoodP

Smash Hero
Um, why?

People need to STOP CAMPAIGNING. Until you have a litany of impressive results, do not mention yourself or anyone else. PLEASE. I've beaten Gimpyfish twice, who is ranked 13th, but that sure as hell doesn't mean I'm remotely worthy of ranking consideration and in my mind it doesn't matter at all that I beat him. (I also hate when some nub beats a good player and, ignoring his other results, just uses that as bragging rights or whatever. So please don't take offense to that Gimpy, I am just trying to prove a point.) When you actually get good at this game you'll realize that the panelists have this right, anyway: to be good at this game IS to be consistent. Cherry picking results is not fair.

Sure, I think if I'm playing my best I can beat a lot of good people, but what is it worth if it takes me 90 or 120 minutes to get up to my best, and if I'm only playing my best in one out of ten matches? It doesn't mean ****. The hardest thing about this game is to not just be good, it is to consistently be good and to consistently beat people you are better than over and over.

Now there are some things I really disagree with on these rankings, mainly the idle / inactive players and some lack of consistency, but overall it's a decent list. There are a lot of good people not ranked in So Cal and a lot of people who could easily, with time, make the list, and they're all pretty much in the same group. But to make the list is to show determination and will, and that means attending a lot of tournaments and doing consistently well at them too. It should be much harder to get into the list than to leave the list.

At the very least, if you're going to campaign for some people, do it with some facts. Post all the tourny results JTB's beaten a bunch of ranked people. And don't just tell half the story, too; the times he's lost to people supposedly worse than him or unranked people also count.

I think Joe is much better than JTB or myself or a lot of people ranked on here right now, but it doesn't mean anything because he doesn't commit himself to the game and therefore isn't consistently good. The random unranked players who say "blah blah should be ranked" are usually not knowledgable enough about the game to know what they're talking about, and in the process the only thing that results is ****** arguments that serve to distance the community from itself and where everyone feels like they have something to prove whenever they play each other and can't take it just as a game anymore.

The main thing that should be changed is that mms should count. I see no reason why they don't. Right now it's mainly up to the luck that you get some ranked people you're capable of beating in your bracket. So even if you're good enough to beat 5-10 people on the rankings, but you only play the 10-15 people who **** the **** out of you and are ranked, you're never going to get noticed. And if the ranked people know they're better, they should be glad taking the free money and the good competition.

I don't think ranked players should have to mm if they don't want to, but if two parties agree to it, it's a good way for unranked players to get more solid results under their belt. If unranked players could challenge ranked ones for $5 mms, best of 3 or best of 5, and have those count towards some weight, it'd be pretty nice.

EzynJAY

Smash Lord
since brawl got pushed back ull prolly see me around more often now i miss smash =)

oh yea and mms should count thatd be **** it just be hard cuz some ppl might lie...

and p.s.

jtb sucks i beat him at scc =)

nealdt

BRoomer
BRoomer
Who said MMs don't count? I thought we were pretty clear that we'll consider them if you actually come to us and tell us what happened, AND it gets confirmed by the other person, AND you remind us again when we're actually doing the rankings.

NeighborhoodP

Smash Hero
Okay then. The main problem with that is you know how people are -- the other person is going to be like, Oh blah blah you're all campaigning for yourself and taking the rankings too seriously and I didn't know beforehand and whatever else johns they can come up with. But if it's already known beforehand, then it sounds pretty good =)

There should be a minimum dollar amount on the mms, not some ridiculous $1 2/3s or something, but yeah, time to start mming.

6th Sense

Smash Lord
I respect your opinion P, but JTB would still have my vote if it were up to me. I'll admit I'm being kind of biased because it would be cool to see a Rancho player on the list =D. IMO people should have the right to voice their opinions. I didn't know MM's count...thats pretty awesome

Lesheik

Smash Lord
Um, why?

People need to STOP CAMPAIGNING. Until you have a litany of impressive results, do not mention yourself or anyone else. PLEASE. I've beaten Gimpyfish twice, who is ranked 13th, but that sure as hell doesn't mean I'm remotely worthy of ranking consideration and in my mind it doesn't matter at all that I beat him. (I also hate when some nub beats a good player and, ignoring his other results, just uses that as bragging rights or whatever. So please don't take offense to that Gimpy, I am just trying to prove a point.) When you actually get good at this game you'll realize that the panelists have this right, anyway: to be good at this game IS to be consistent. Cherry picking results is not fair.

Sure, I think if I'm playing my best I can beat a lot of good people, but what is it worth if it takes me 90 or 120 minutes to get up to my best, and if I'm only playing my best in one out of ten matches? It doesn't mean ****. The hardest thing about this game is to not just be good, it is to consistently be good and to consistently beat people you are better than over and over.

Now there are some things I really disagree with on these rankings, mainly the idle / inactive players and some lack of consistency, but overall it's a decent list. There are a lot of good people not ranked in So Cal and a lot of people who could easily, with time, make the list, and they're all pretty much in the same group. But to make the list is to show determination and will, and that means attending a lot of tournaments and doing consistently well at them too. It should be much harder to get into the list than to leave the list.

At the very least, if you're going to campaign for some people, do it with some facts. Post all the tourny results JTB's beaten a bunch of ranked people. And don't just tell half the story, too; the times he's lost to people supposedly worse than him or unranked people also count.

I think Joe is much better than JTB or myself or a lot of people ranked on here right now, but it doesn't mean anything because he doesn't commit himself to the game and therefore isn't consistently good. The random unranked players who say "blah blah should be ranked" are usually not knowledgable enough about the game to know what they're talking about, and in the process the only thing that results is ****** arguments that serve to distance the community from itself and where everyone feels like they have something to prove whenever they play each other and can't take it just as a game anymore.

The main thing that should be changed is that mms should count. I see no reason why they don't. Right now it's mainly up to the luck that you get some ranked people you're capable of beating in your bracket. So even if you're good enough to beat 5-10 people on the rankings, but you only play the 10-15 people who **** the **** out of you and are ranked, you're never going to get noticed. And if the ranked people know they're better, they should be glad taking the free money and the good competition.

I don't think ranked players should have to mm if they don't want to, but if two parties agree to it, it's a good way for unranked players to get more solid results under their belt. If unranked players could challenge ranked ones for $5 mms, best of 3 or best of 5, and have those count towards some weight, it'd be pretty nice.
Wow. It was just my opinion. I just think JTB has gotten a lot better.

TaFoKiNtS

Smash Lord
Lucky $1
Emerican $5
Menacing Mike $3
NeighborhoodP $5
Gimpyfish $5

Those are my current MM, if you want you can MM for a UCLA meal swipe. It'll be a BO5, you ante up $5, and if you win you get a free meal swipe at UCLA, if I win, i get $5.

Arash

Smash Lord
we know a lot of good players should be ranked, but there are only 25 spots and more than 25 contenders for those spots. and no, we can't just expand it to 30 spots, because then the rankings list loses importance. the increase from 20-25 was because there were too many talented players that couldn't be put on, and we feel that 25 is a good number.

also, "campaigning" or whatever does not factor into our decisions at all. we look at all relevant tournament results ourselves and factor those into our decisions.

about MMs, the main problem i personally have with them (besides not knowing about important ones) is that if "poverty-stricken" unranked smasher A decides to money match "rich enough to rent out a house in socal" ranked smasher B for $5, smasher A will try his heart out and smasher B would probably goof around. then when it came time to do rankings, smasher B would say "i wasn't trying, that's why i lost", and the money match would be irrelevant.

that said though, if enough people can vouch that both players were trying around the same amount, then i guess it'd be counted. it's just that tournament results are a lot easier to look up....

EzynJAY

Smash Lord
i wanna mm fabian and jtb next tourney since jtb is pro now ^_^ guess ill c everyone at ucla =)

Lesheik

Smash Lord
also, "campaigning" or whatever does not factor into our decisions at all. we look at all relevant tournament results ourselves and factor those into our decisions.
Now I understand completely. I somewhat knew that campaigning for JTB wasn't going to factor into the panelists descisions at all. I just wanted to express my opinion, despite the fact that it wouldn't matter to the panelists.

LuCKy

Smash Master
wow mango neal called you a b****...ooooooo and you cant do anything about it lol

danimlas for top 25 so i stay on tioic

Shmooguy

Smash Champion
I think JTB should make the rankings.... so I can be his "Pbody counter."

=)

Oh also, I'm really sorry about your cube but it wasn't at the front desk =/ I can ask random people who were there if they took it back, but that won't be until after break.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom