• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

SoCal Melee PR 12/29/2013 Update

HairyNipples

Smash Apprentice
How many times do i gotta beat PR people in tourney to get PR ? just so i know wat i gotta do. I know i still have a lot of work but being top 10 is my long -term goal. Just let me know wat i gotta do to reach it

Rosedemon

Smash Champion
You just need one good period where you beat 1 or 2 ranked players and then didnt lose to anyone you shouldnt have lost to.

Then once you're on is when it becomes about not losing to people you should (unranked players and people below you) but that shouldnt be your mindset if you're trying to improve.

Kira-

Smash Champion
i think it's less about beating ranked players

and more about not losing to unranked players
this doesn't mean you deserve to be ranked, i didnt' have any bad losses (or unranked losses) for like 4 months straight (16 tourneys) and so i never got that high on the list while ppl like macd/joey/zhu would lose to random ppl here and there. didnt mean i was better than them

sorry for the random input lol i have nothing else to do atm

Fly_Amanita

Master of Caribou
I can count the number of active smashers in Socal interested in PM on one hand, without even resorting to counting in binary or whatever, so you're not appealing to the right region here.

Kira-

Smash Champion
jason doesn't deserve to be talked to like that

if u werent talking to jason then idc

shadrach kabango

Banned via Warnings
jason doesn't deserve to be talked to like that

if u werent talking to jason then idc
"stop posting and go to a tournament" is about as harmless a post as you're gonna find on the internet

must be fun to be a mod and to see what people posted before they edited it

shadrach kabango

Banned via Warnings
1. mango
2. lovage
3. s2j
4. wes
5. zhu
6. fly
7. lucky
8. macd
9. eddie mexico
10. hugo

imo

honorable mention: connor

if fiction ever went to tournaments he could be as high as 5 and as low as 10

baka4moé

Smash Champion
actually i really like that list that seems as accurate as you can get atm. tho if lucky was in practice he'd probably be higher imo. still socals top 10 is so stacked

stabbedbyanipple

Smash Master
must be fun to be a mod and to see what people posted before they edited it
Dude, I KNOW

I want to see all the ****ed up stuff people have to say to each other before they're like, "nah, this is too harsh, I'll be a little nicer" or "nvm, starting drama on the boards is dumb"

cuz nothing is cooler to a bored sick-kid at home than seeing drama on the boards (for real)

shadrach kabango

Banned via Warnings
are all the people on that list active?

:phone:
depends on your definition of active

it's easy to fall into a dichotomy of dictatorship activity. by that i mean people who regularly go to tournies (at least a month) feel like, well, I'M in the scene, all YOU do is post. therefore you're not active!

a mature way to look at it tho imo is long-term. we all love this game to varying degrees. a true test of love is time. if your name is showing up to significant tournaments once every six months (and let's arbitrarily define "significant tournaments" as one with at least 3 players ranked within 3 spots of you, or five players ranked if you're not ranked at all), to me you're active.

so connor is on the border of inactivity. hugo is on the border but he's more active than inactive because he is occasionally enticed to show up to "significant tournaments." macd is more inactive than active but he has shown up and performed at majors.

i lean towards listing all of them as active because i feel like if i rank you higher than them, but they randomly show up and beat you... i shouldn't be ranking them higher than you for what amounts to no other reason than you show up more than them. you go to more tournaments than them and STILL can't beat their C game? ***** please. history counts. it's ******** to view rankings in a 6 month or one year vacuum when this community has proven itself to be pretty damn stable in the six years i've been in it.

Dude, I KNOW

I want to see all the ****ed up stuff people have to say to each other before they're like, "nah, this is too harsh, I'll be a little nicer" or "nvm, starting drama on the boards is dumb"

cuz nothing is cooler to a bored sick-kid at home than seeing drama on the boards (for real)
remind me at a tournament and i'll tell you what i told dave. it was pretty neighborhood p-esque. irvine gonna irvine imo

TheZhuKeeper

Smash Champion
I can count the number of active smashers in Socal interested in PM on one hand, without even resorting to counting in binary or whatever, so you're not appealing to the right region here.
I actually really want to try pm, but I don't have a wii and haven't asked macd if he wants to mod his (unless it's already modded, i have no idea)...

Fly_Amanita

Master of Caribou
Then come to my apartment sometime.

edit: You also don't need to mod your Wii to play PM. There are hackless methods of loading it, too.

joeplicate

Smash Master
depends on your definition of active

it's easy to fall into a dichotomy of dictatorship activity. by that i mean people who regularly go to tournies (at least a month) feel like, well, I'M in the scene, all YOU do is post. therefore you're not active!

a mature way to look at it tho imo is long-term. we all love this game to varying degrees. a true test of love is time. if your name is showing up to significant tournaments once every six months (and let's arbitrarily define "significant tournaments" as one with at least 3 players ranked within 3 spots of you, or five players ranked if you're not ranked at all), to me you're active.

so connor is on the border of inactivity. hugo is on the border but he's more active than inactive because he is occasionally enticed to show up to "significant tournaments." macd is more inactive than active but he has shown up and performed at majors.

i lean towards listing all of them as active because i feel like if i rank you higher than them, but they randomly show up and beat you... i shouldn't be ranking them higher than you for what amounts to no other reason than you show up more than them. you go to more tournaments than them and STILL can't beat their C game? ***** please. history counts. it's ******** to view rankings in a 6 month or one year vacuum when this community has proven itself to be pretty damn stable in the six years i've been in it.

remind me at a tournament and i'll tell you what i told dave. it was pretty neighborhood p-esque. irvine gonna irvine imo
THANK YOU LMFAO

norcal does this every single update
boback lmfoaoaofojafjo

HyugaRicdeau

Baller/Shot-caller
Slippi.gg
DRZ#283
The reason we don't rank inactive players that we "know" are good is that ranking them would imply we have a certain amount of confidence about where they would be in the rankings that we actually don't, because of the evolving metagame and skill of the players. That is to say, the error bars are too big to make a meaningful statement. We also feel that the rankings should give an indication of who has actually been participating in tournaments lately.

However we also do make judgment calls. The OP of the rankings thread that the meeting the activity criteria guarantees eligibility, however, not meeting them does not necessarily guarantee ineligibility - we make exceptions if there's good reason to do so, and typically these are based on history and indications of intent to play in the future.

TaFoKiNtS

Smash Lord
Joe - We would have put someone else there instead of Boback, but no one really went to tournaments for that entire 3-4 month stretch or made any commitment to attend any tournaments whatsoever. That list of people included: Tang, SS, Lucien, Bob$ (who's active now), you, Darrell (although he did meet the criteria for that stretch), Phil, etc...

We ran through quite a few people and concluded that Boback stood out somehow a midst the norcal mediocrity.

Top Bottom