• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

SoCal Melee Community

MacD

Banned via Administration
I'm interested and would like to hear more.

Only the first fwd B gives you height. I don't actually know if using them after that aids in recovery other than to mix up when you up-B. It might slow your fall a little but it also cuts your horizontal momentum.
isn't it like that with most characters who have a move like that, peach's toad, the mario's tornados and capes, IC's ice block etc

for those moves, i know it's only the first time they are used you get the little boost/stall and if you use them again you basically keep falling, why wouldn't it be the same for marth?

Kira-

Smash Champion
After doing a bit of testing, I'm pretty sure that I understand why Marth's side B doesn't always give you that nice boost that aids in recovery. It's the result of a pretty amusing programming oversight, namely, that the programmers neglected a few ways in which you can land.
If you have used that first side B, and you don't jump and land again you won't have the initial, GOOD side B until you do. for example you use a lot of side Bs and sweetspot the ledge, you can stand up, run around a ton, throw out some dash attacks, grabs, fsmashes whatever, but if you get hit out again you won't have a good side B recovery (it's as if you only get the 4th side B or w/e) because you didn't jump.

so when you get back to the stage, short hop, shffl something, or wavedash (it's a jump remember?) and you'll have it reset

go test it, it works

ConnorTheKid

Treat Yo' Self
Premium
After doing a bit of testing, I'm pretty sure that I understand why Marth's side B doesn't always give you that nice boost that aids in recovery. It's the result of a pretty amusing programming oversight, namely, that the programmers neglected a few ways in which you can land.
if you land with an aerial the side+b boost doesn't get reset. you have to actually land without doing anything or wavedash. right? I think Phanna went over this before.

Tee ay eye

Smash Hero
Yeah, Connor's got it.

You have to land without aerial landing lag, so you can auto-cancel, waveland/wavedash, or land.

Fly_Amanita

Master of Caribou
Connor's correct. You can also land with counter or neutral b.

The thing I find most is amusing is that this seems like the result of lazy programming. It looks like the programmers just forgot about the all of the different ways you can land and thus only have the side b reset to its normal state in a few of the possible landing animations.

Bob Money

Smash Ace
So maybe I'm just seeing things but...With Marth after you jump off the stage with a neutral B held for like secondish and then Djump Upb right away you get hardly any vertical distance...Maybe I'm tired..

ConnorTheKid

Treat Yo' Self
Premium
*yawn* I've seen better trolls :)
neighborhoodP

I was trying to poke fun at you if you were serious. I always thought trolls were just people who pissed others off. I'd consider you a trickster

D

Deleted member

im going to take a break from smash due to real life stuff

see you in a bit

joeplicate

Smash Master
yeah ok

riptide told me all about the jump cycle before I was even technical
he knows all about his tornados and capes
and he knows a lot of (useless) frame data from looking at it like 1 or 2 times, because he has a good memory

D

Deleted member

I think i beat that level on my 27th try with about 35 minutes on the timer, trying my best not to die on the last part of the boss

in retrospect though the boss really wasn't that bad, even with machine gun

Top Bottom