• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Socal Brawl Power Rankings - (February 3, 2010 - May 1, 2010) UPDATED

typh

BRoomer
BRoomer
that "honorable mentions" list was edited in november by a random IP

so yes it is completely arbitrary

and smashwiki sucks

∫unk

Smash Master
Exactly.
Because maybe your consistent betwen the inconsistent.
I don't like inconsistent statements.

That was the original point of my wall of text post: if you're inconsistent, you aren't pro, and you shouldn't be ranked. If that means it's 12 people then have it be 12 people.

Doesn't SD have some point system also? That would seem to be the least bias.

Self-note: If you want points, you go to tournaments, and you do well. With larger tournaments some players might do well if they get multiple good matchups in bracket, so maybe the point system would be scaled to who you beat on the power rankings and who you lost to. The point system would be even easier with an amateur ranking.

TheMogX

Smash Journeyman
I don't like inconsistent statements.

That was the original point of my wall of text post: if you're inconsistent, you aren't pro, and you shouldn't be ranked. If that means it's 12 people then have it be 12 people.

Doesn't SD have some point system also? That would seem to be the least bias.

Self-note: If you want points, you go to tournaments, and you do well. With larger tournaments some players might do well if they get multiple good matchups in bracket, so maybe the point system would be scaled to who you beat on the power rankings and who you lost to. The point system would be even easier with an amateur ranking.
Its a detailed point system. You get 3 types of diferent points, those point are compared with the other players. To gain each one of those points you must have to acomplish some stuff and follow some rules.
Pretty much I'm the only one that knows all the rules of qualification, because I'm a solo Power Rank Panelist. But no one so far has any complaint about my ranks.

In tournament, if you losse, well you losse, but it depend to who did you lost to, maybe it was a very good player.(rank most of the time) That doesnt make you inconsistent it means he was 2 times better than you there was no way you are going to win at this moment. But still even if the little amateur did his best in the tournament he still doesnt win anything, no money, no pride, and you lost nobody cares, your never going to be rank.

Thats why it's not a very bad idea to make another rank, specially for amateurs.
Maybe they lost againts the ranked players. But i'm pretty sure they beat a lot people with their same level.

And this current list that we have right now, its fine, all the people below 10 can beat the ones above. Yes the first 8 are consistent, but i think everyone in this list is consistent. I Just think theres some problems with the order betwen the 9 to 15, it's not very clear.

Kira-

Smash Champion
Personally

i think a point system is the best way

but nobody wants to set that up/maintain it cause it would take a lot of effort

didnt read the rest of the thread

∫unk

Smash Master
i dont even care anymore what happens to this list anymore lol im pretty sure everyone in the community knows who ***** and whose inconsistent

RichBrown

Smash Master
If we had a point system, we wouldn't need a panel; all we would need is one single person crunching numbers to figure out who goes where. Panel takes into account just how good a player truly is. Lets say players A and B are vying for the final spot on PR. They've both beaten roughly the same caliber of players on PR, and also lost to a few PR members.

Lets say player A absolutely creamed the top players he beat while only barely losing to the ones he didn't beat. Lets also say that player B barely beats the ranked players he beat and gets creamed by the others. The obvious choice would be player A, right? A very common scenario such as this is something which can't be analyzed in a points system, it can only be analyzed by a human panel.

Kouryuu

Smash Champion
I remember back when Glen was doing the point system for Brawl, I somehow got ranked and I didn't do anything really.

I'd rather have a panel over a point system.

Charoo

Smash Champion
quick note: we never did honorable mention besides JonT when it was top 10. So I have no idea who made that list on wiki. Then again, any1 can edit it though.

More panelist will be added the next one. I been taking a break from this game for a while now so I wont have much contribution in the next update much. I'm just the guy who edit the topic and update the ranking picture (which is very troublesome but look too sweet).

If you wanna apply for panelist then PM to Nezumi. I think we need a representation from 818, SD, and orange county mostly.

Kira-

Smash Champion
I should've clarified, the point system I had in mind was something like what they use for chess masters n stuff

For example:

mikeHAZE has a ranking of 1500
Kira has a ranking of 1200

if Mike wins, his ranking goes up to 1520, mine goes down to 1180 (20 pt change cause it's expected according to the ranking)
if Kira wins, my ranking goes up to 1250, Mike's ranking goes down to 1450 (50 pt change cause it's an upset)

Very rough example, it would obviously be way more specific and time-consuming to actually pull off. Glenn's system was not like that, it factored in placing. I don't know about MLG's but I doubt they would put that much effort into it. it's also cool cause it's like your power level

RichBrown's scenario still stands though.

Rina-chan

Smash Journeyman
lol, jonT should be in the top 10, no doubt about that.

He has more then earned his place beating who he beat. for example I remember him beating leepuff and fiction in the same tourney (palmdale)

but hey this one one person's opinion

mikeHAZE

Smash Legend
lol, jonT should be in the top 10, no doubt about that.

He has more then earned his place beating who he beat. for example I remember him beating leepuff and fiction in the same tourney (palmdale)

but hey this one one person's opinion

I'll disagree. Though he had some extremely well placings in the beginning/mid part of the rankings, near the end he coked. In most of the recent tournaments he entered, he lost to at least one unranked player.

i'll show you his results (in bold will be either good wins, or bad losses)

The PROSU League #1 3-7

SSBB Singles (entered as Jon T)
Defeated Alex
Defeated Leepuff
Defeated Fiction
Lost to DSF
Lost to Teba
Placed 5 out of 43

he did REALLY well here.

Backyard Brawl II 3-14

Singles (entered as JonT)
Defeated ByeByeBye
Defeated BigFoot
Defeated El Dorado
Defeated Mike Haze
Lost to MikeY
Lost to Tyrant
Placed 5 out of 72

Here as well.

Super Smash X II 3-22

Defeated Awesome
Defeated King Dark
Lost to Hugs
Defeated Spud
Defeated Unkwon Force
Defeated Junk_In_the_Trunk
Lost to Hall
Placed 7 out of 34

Here, he lost to two unranked players (actually, i might be wrong, hall may have been ranked on the last PR)
Though they're not bad losses, they are still losses that would hold him back from being top 10

Let's continue.

Quiznos Presents Brawl IX 3-29

Defeated 2Quick
Lost to Awexis
Defeated T4ylor
Defeated Romeo
Defeated Ken
Defeated Vice Grip
Defeated Leepuff
Defeated Warp Status
Lost to BoA
Placed 5 out of 97

Awex placed high that tournament as well, so we can still argue that maybe awex could be ranked above him. For a while, i thought jonT ***** this tournament, but i looked at the results and the only person he beat was Leepuff.

Backyard Brawl III!! 4-4

Defeated infernohit
Defeated Bone
Lost to Tyranical T-bagger
Defeated infernohit
Lost to Rich Brown
Placed 7 out of 39

Once again, he lost to someone unranked (at the time), while not beating anybody notable.

Takeda in his Mystic Realm II 4-11

Brawl Singles (entered as JONT)
Defeated Fierce
Defeated Hugs
Lost to Fiction
Lost to Nyjin
Placed 5 out of 27

He beat HugS, which is a good win and could have gave him a chance at a higher ranking spot, but then he lost to nyjin, while hugs went on in the bracket to get 2nd, proving that he is more consistent.

and lost but not least....

SCSA #3

JonT's performance
Lost to Raikou3322
Lost to MogX

the biggest tournament this ranking, and he choked. We can argue that we all have bad tournaments, which is true, but sadly it happened at a regional for him. Though mogX isn't a bad loss, he still took the upper hand and made it into pro bracket. MogX is also really inconsistent.

SO, there's the evidence as to why jont isn't top 10. He is not consistent enough IMO. He is a good player and has the potential to probably be top 8, but his inconsistencies are what leaves him back. I don't know what your argument to support him at top 10 is though, because after looking at results it's evident that he shouldn't be there (IMO!!!!).

[this was in no way meant to bash anybody, just showing a logical argument, sorry if i offended anybody]

Race

Smash Lord
as much as I am an advocate for Jon, mike does bring up a good point

way to choke on SCSA 3 jon! (I placed higher and made it to the pro bracket! ^_^) . .I still love u

EdreesesPieces

Smash Bros Before Hos
BRoomer
NNID
EdreesesPieces
Has anyone seen the "west coast power rankings" on all is brawl? its hilarious, i'm still on there, lol.

http://allisbrawl.com/forum/topic.aspx?pid=649793#p649793

Oh wow they updated it YESTERDAY finally removing me. What are the chances, right when I bring it up. champ in top 15 baby. I didn't know vicegrip and oats were better than tkd. i guess its true that ness/lucas > metaknight

you can never realistically model any rankings using a mathemetical procedure. This assumes that the metagame does not change. even if you came up with an equation, it wouldn't be accurate unless you modified and changed the equation every update. It's like trying to model love. It's too unpredictable to determine with numbers. On top of what hugo and others have been saying, I'm just saying this is also one of the reasons I don't like points based systems.

Everything has to be taken into context of what is going on in the game now. If one tournament adds a new rule of no planking or insitutes a ledge grab rule, suddenly if someone beat someone before that rule was into effect, I don't think you should weight it as much because your goal is to rank skill based on the NOW. Someone who won becuase of plancing may not win with that rule in place for example. This is a wild and dumb example, but it just shows that there are factors that you can't mathematically model and why you need panelists. Honestly, what if someone's (god forbid) family member got sick or died during a tournament and they had to leave, thus benig disqualified? is there a log (y) variable where y is the number of deaths to determine if your disqualification should be counted against you or not? There needs to be a common sense factor and thats why we have panelists.

Chances are if someone left a tourney because they were tired or didn't want to play you'd still use it against them. but if they had to leave for legit reasons i wouldn't use it against them. These kind of things you cannot write an equation for. You'd have just as much luck writing an equation on how to get laid.

TlocCPU

Smash Apprentice
dehf is already on it
LOOOOOL

<33 mike

quick note: we never did honorable mention besides JonT when it was top 10. So I have no idea who made that list on wiki. Then again, any1 can edit it though.
Fix'd http://super-smash-bros.wikia.com/wiki/SoCal_Power_Rankings#SoCal_Brawl_Power_Rankings

Somebody is bound to mess with it again but PLEASE ONLY LOOK AT THIS TOPIC FOR OFFICIAL UPDATES.

EDIT: LOL someone changed it back immediately.

mio

Smash Ace
you can never realistically model any rankings using a mathemetical procedure. This assumes that the metagame does not change. even if you came up with an equation, it wouldn't be accurate unless you modified and changed the equation every update. It's like trying to model love. It's too unpredictable to determine with numbers. On top of what hugo and others have been saying, I'm just saying this is also one of the reasons I don't like points based systems.
I have to disagree with you here. I think that the ELO rating system used in chess is just about as accurate as you can get, and it's partly because each player's ranking is always relative to one another (and rankings are modified with each tournament performance). The only problem is that it requires an expert in Symbolic Logic to do the work :urg:

mikeHAZE

Smash Legend
I have to disagree with you here. I think that the ELO rating system used in chess is just about as accurate as you can get, and it's partly because each player's ranking is always relative to one another (and rankings are modified with each tournament performance). The only problem is that it requires an expert in Symbolic Logic to do the work :urg:
HugQ got this, he helped me through my symbolic logic class

i eventually dropped though.

Junk DGH

Smash Apprentice
rather than have people calculate player ratings everytime it should be a part of tio or allisbrawl

this would promote more ppl to go to tournies

it might be dumb that a mw random is rated higher than you because the region is easier but really the pointis to compare each other regionally

Top Bottom