• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Socal Brawl Power Rankings - (February 3, 2010 - May 1, 2010) UPDATED

Jmex

Smash Lord
NNID
Jmex25
3DS FC
4613-8799-3599
Aside from my sub par tourney placings

I will never make this list

Due to lack of tourney attendance.

mikeHAZE

Smash Legend
this list is pretty cool

compare it to resutls from quiznos and almost everything that was supposed to happen did happen

DSF won
Tyrant beat me
I beat Havok
Havok beat HugS

but..tyrant beat fiction :O

Jmex

Smash Lord
NNID
Jmex25
3DS FC
4613-8799-3599
Tyrant, i want to play you again. Ive only played you in at Oxnard.

Which was when you used to Camp..... Hard. <3

WarpStatus

Smash Apprentice
I heard that RichBrown guy is so cool. He knows what he's talking about I mean he wins tourneys and stuff with olimar. What a pro. <3

TheMogX

Smash Journeyman
I didn't beat anyone in SCSA, just some Wario player from Norcal. since i was on the pro backet already i didn't play much people, I'm thinking i going down he he he. But Maybe i can do something if i go to Race tournament.

Jmex

Smash Lord
NNID
Jmex25
3DS FC
4613-8799-3599
^ You would have to win the tourney Mog. :)

I think DSF should go down a few spots. He hasent been winning tourney lately, correct?

HugS™

Smash Lord
I wouldn't really count SCSA much against DSF, since he DID run the tournament and it was late as hell.

I mean that's why there is a panel. There's a human element in the decision making. However, it's true that he has not performed as well as Tyrant. So...

Jmex

Smash Lord
NNID
Jmex25
3DS FC
4613-8799-3599
I think it should be

1. Tyrant
2. DEHF
3. DSF
4. Fiction

Fiction to number 4, only because he was not entering into tourneys for a good 2 months or so.

DEHF

Smash Champion
NNID
larrlurr
I wouldn't really count SCSA much against DSF, since he DID run the tournament and it was late as hell.

I mean that's why there is a panel. There's a human element in the decision making. However, it's true that he has not performed as well as Tyrant. So...
that isn't a legit excuse he didn't even have to do pools to make it into the pro bracket

mikeHAZE

Smash Legend
he decided to enter, no johns. he knew there would be outside elements right?

i mean i do think it's a legit john, but in the end he shouldn't have entered if that was the case.

Jmex

Smash Lord
NNID
Jmex25
3DS FC
4613-8799-3599

i mean i do think it's a legit john, but in the end he shouldn't have entered if that was the case.
Thats pretty true.

Also not entering into the tourney should hurt your placing as well, right?

I mean isent being ranked also associated with entering tourneys. So when he dosent enter SCSA does that go against his ranking as well? Or is he exempt from that tourney?

mikeHAZE

Smash Legend
it shouldn't hurt him for not entering because it's a mutual thing amongst the community and gives us a better view of who would be where IF dsf didn't enter.

RichBrown

Smash Master
SCSA shouldn't hurt DSF too bad. Yeah, it was a sub par performance, but those were some real crap outside elements to deal with. And it even says on the first page that one bad tournament won't really affect the placement of a player. It shouldn't be ignored altogether, but the penalty should be minimal.

Kouryuu

Smash Champion
DieSuperFly is probably one of the coolest Smash names I know (assuming it means what I think it means).

HugS™

Smash Lord

So what you're saying is that if Alex does well at one tournament, he should choose to not enter any others to secure his ranking? I mean, this is obviously not what you mean, but I'm just showing you an extreme example that follows your logic, to show you what you're really saying.

Look...
Someone chooses to take on the hardships of a tournament for various benefits, but at the risk of losing money/respect/prestige. In a perfect world, those hardships would consist solely of opponents' skills and other closely related factors. However, the world isn't perfect, so you need human insight.

The job of the panel is not to rank someone based on his/her lack of better judgment. If someone chooses to play under the worst of conditions, it would be dumb of that player. But, it'd be even dumber of the panel to ignore the effect of those horrid conditions.

We are also not in the business of deciding whether someone is Johning or not. The term is so broad that almost anything can be construed as a John. However, we are in the business of deciding whether a John is LEGIT or not. Our purpose is to rank players accurately, taking into account any and all factors that may positively or negatively impact a player's performance. DSF running the tournament all day AND not having any opportunity to warm up IS a big factor, and to ignore it by saying "no Johns" is foolish.

Go to the Melee Rankings if you want a panel that really believes in "No Johns" when ranking players.
Or you can use T0mmy's power rankings, and go strictly off of points.

DSF will be hurt because of his SCSA performance, but it's not as powerful a hit as say...his UCLA performance. He did worse @ SCSA than he did @ UCLA, but UCLA should hurt him more for the reasons mentioned prior. Get me?

DSF isn't invulnerable on the rankings, it's just bad to be so simple minded about these kinds of things.

HugS™

Smash Lord
I'm sorry to double post, but this is an important point.

Some may argue that DSF"s bad judgment on entering the tournament SHOULD hurt him, as it is the better player who would make the right call and avoid the tournament.

But should something like bad judgment, sickness, concern over loved ones, etc...really hurt a player indiscriminately in the rankings? Do you guys really believe that? Yeah, they are all johns. But to say "well you knew this was going on, you could have avoided it or avoided joining the tournament" is a bit ridiculous. This factor just has more to do with DSF as a person, and almost nothing to do with his skill in the game.

For example, a person can have terrible health problems at a certain tournament, and he could lose there because of it. If the health problem was related to his obesity, are we to say "you shoulda just lost weight to avoid this. Better players are healthier". These factors, just like bad judgment outside of the game, are unrelated to skill in gameplay. Therefore, we shouldn't place an equal weight on skill in gameplay and on a player's skill in leading a good life.

It is a factor that gets considered though, just by a lesser margin.
Like if someone ****s up and drinks WAY too much one time and loses to Fly, naturally it will hurt him on the rankings. But should that loss have the same weight as him losing to Fly when completely sober, healthy, and ready to play?

I just don't think so...That's how I see it.

Now, if a player ALWAYS get's drunk and does well, but lost this one day and says it's because he was drunk...then the drunk factor won't change anything, He'll be ranked accordingly.

That's just how I see it.

Atlus8

Smash Master
If someone starts to play the set, there is no turning back! Granted there are bad conditions were a player can't play at there best, but if that's the case then don't enter. If you know you're not bringing your A game then you can easily say something like "I'm not feeling myself so I give up the set." However, DSF did play all his games. As far as not entering tournaments, it really shouldn't hurt DSF since he has entered so many. Not entering a tourny should only hurt if you only enter like two for every PR update. However, if you r@ped alot of people from the PR in those two tournies then you'll most likely stay where you are. If you have a spot on the PR then you have to prove that you earned it and don't lose to people that are not ranked!

HugS™

Smash Lord
So if the player feels he won't do well that day, he should just not enter, or forfeit beforehand any sets he feels he may lose? Ok...

You're implying the panel shouldn't be able to look back and notice he wasn't capable of playing well that day due to outside factors.

If it's the sole responsibility of the player to try and look into the future to know if he will play bad or not, wouldn't he be given full immunity from the rankings when he simply feels he may do bad and is allowed to just not play?

So then what are we here for?

Hindsight is much more accurate than foresight, just so you know.
We provide a service...
A service that can more accurately tell a player if he was ready to play that day or not. It's actually something that should not be left in the hands of the player; The player is of the party with the most self interest in the ranking decision, so you can see why it's a decision that shouldn't be left up to the player. "Oh gee, i'm playing bad specifically on the day that the most pros are attending. I think I'll forfeit so as to not affect my rank"

THAT is not how we rank people.

The only variable that should concern a player when being ranked is SKILL.
Everything else should be controlled in order to accurately rank someone based on his SKILL.
Control includes accurately weighing the effects of outside factors.

Top Bottom