• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Socal Brawl Power Rankings - (February 3, 2010 - May 1, 2010) UPDATED

Geomaster

Smash Apprentice
5/10? I saw 7/10 of them with MK or a MK second >>. Rockin stuff Havok, SD REPRESENT!

HugS™

Smash Lord
Please list the reasons for making it a top 10, and it had better not be a lack of consistency...

Because you just got rid of Bardull, the most consistent player on the original list. And aside from Larry, Fiction, and TKD, there's no consistency to be had from anyone else on the list.

DSF lost to havok, haze, and typh
Mike lost to mojo, easyseph, rich brown, and myself
Tyrant lost to rich brown and Jont
Leepuff lost to awex and jonT

So if we're talking about consistency, the top 10 don't have it. If we're talking about degrees of consistency, then they are (somewhat) ranked appropriately. For example, what I mean by degrees of consistency is: 1st is more consistent than 2nd, 2nd is more consistent than 3rd, etc. All the way down to 15.

But at the same time, if we're talking about degrees of consistency, then you had no reason to get rid of the bottom 5. You just continue to rank based on degrees of consistency.

The rankings should reflect the talent of the region. How the hell does the most active, talented region in the nation have a 10 man ranking list? What a joke.

All because our panel doesn't deem it necessary to rank inconsistent players, when the majority of the top 10 is actually MADE UP of inconsistent players. As shown with the results listed above.

The community's skill is getting bigger, the list should reflect that and get bigger as well. Not smaller. So since the top 10 isn't actually consistent either, then there must be another reason to decrease the size of the list to top 10.

I'm listening

It's a shame that I was in consideration for the top 15, because I can see a ****ty retort boiling down to "You're just mad cuz you didn't make the list".

No, I'm not. I'm mad that socal is creating 2 ****ty power rankings, and I want answers. And naturally, I'm going to be all over this list, because this list concerns me. I don't b**** about Idaho's power rankings because I don't care about Idaho's power rankings. I b**** about Socal's rankings because it's where I live, and it concerns me.

I'm listening...

LeePuff

Smash Rookie
This is BoA... I am speaking on behalf of the panelists as one entity when i say this...

I think the idea was to make the list harder to get on so that the "inconsistent" people could try harder and become more consistent. So that Socal could have a solid top 10 that would send a chill down the other regions spines when they look at the names! XD or something like that lol

haha but honestly... not all of us agreed that the list should be top 10 only... so ill just have you know that your post will most definitely be taken into consideration.

TlocCPU

Smash Apprentice
This is BoA... I am speaking on behalf of the panelists as one entity when i say this...

I think the idea was to make the list harder to get on so that the "inconsistent" people could try harder and become more consistent. So that Socal could have a solid top 10 that would send a chill down the other regions spines when they look at the names! XD or something like that lol

haha but honestly... not all of us agreed that the list should be top 10 only... so ill just have you know that your post will most definitely be taken into consideration.
Yeah Hugo we're still trying :/

RichBrown

Smash Master
Hugo essentially said everything I wanted to say.

In addition, wouldn't making a smaller list actually discourage players from trying hard? The mentality could just as easily be, "Well ****, So Cal is a beast enough region to even be mentioned on top 15, but now I gotta try even harder to get top 10? **** this."

I hinted at this earlier but I'll say it again: What if the new bottom 5 become really inconsistent? Are we just gonna cut them too? Even our top 5, who are pretty **** consistent, have a few losses to people not even on this list. The panel needs to step it up and quit being lazy (not directed at the panel as a whole, just the people who thought this was actually a good idea).

And I will admit, part of my disappointment does stem from the fact that I know I had a shot at at the 11-15 spot and that was what I had been aiming for since after WGF, and so yes, it is frustrating to see that the list got shortened further.

HugS™

Smash Lord

There are a few problems with this way of thinking.

Let's be honest here, it should be clear that Brawl isn't the type of game that even allows its players to have great consistency. What, with tripping, our stage lists, strength of counter picks, etc. This game just kind of forces spurts of inconsistency.

In melee, you couldn't even dream of Ken losing to someone unranked, but here is our #1 player, losing to typh. Which is fine, Alex is still the best in Socal, but consistency should not be your measure of ranking people, or making the list smaller.

Now, to the 2nd point. You want to make the list smaller to make it more fearful. What do other regions know of our players? They don't know that #9 is amazing. They only see we have 10 players to compare him with. They don't see #9 of 150+ active smashers, they see a player that is ranked second to last. Because our list is so small that it reflects a small amount of talent.

I don't understand why the Brawl and Melee panels are bent on changing the fundamental things, when they worked out fine before. You got a Melee community that wants to omit better players from the rankings to give noobs a chance to be on it, then they wonder why their community is so lacking in skill.

And in brawl, you have a panel that wants to decrease the size of the list and NOT reflect the amount of talent in the region, then you wonder why the attendance numbers are slowly declining. Not that you did this before the decline, but I'm warning you that this is an effect of a small list. Check the rankings for small weaker regions, they have small lists because they don't have enough talented players to make a larger one. We DO have enough players to make a bigger list, but we are, in fact, regressing to a smaller state.

You can argue that the cut off is for skill gaps, but can you honestly say that Jon T is that much worse than Havok? Can you say Bardull is that much worse than either of those 2? Can you say Hall is way worse than those 3? Or that I'm not in leagues with any of them?

When you have a player like JonT a$$ f*** the s*** out of everyone below a top15, it's discouraging to know he isn't ranked because the panel, for no good reason, wanted to decrease the size of the list. Inversely, when you have a player that beats a player as good as jonT, but won't get recognized for it because jonT isn't ranked, then it is also discouraging.

And discouragement breeds smaller tournaments.

Also, some Noobs want to play "big names". They go to tournaments to beat the big names. When you decrease the amount of big names, it just gives noobs less incentive to show up. "Oh, rich, jont, bardull, hugs, hall, and mogX are showing up? They aren't ranked so they must not be that great, and only 1/10 of the ranked players are showing up, this must not be a big tournament. Not worth it."

HugS™

Smash Lord
**** it, I'll double post. This is important.

BoA, you are implying that you did not agree with this. I know CPU didn't agree with this, so why did it go through? I know champ was somewhere in the middle, so we are left with 1 person who most definitely wanted this, Claire.

No offense to Boa or Champ, but I know you guys can be pretty passive. I mean it's evidenced by the fact that you are stating you didn't agree with it, but still let it happen. And I know Champ, he can be very passive too.

So what we have as a result is 2 passive members and 2 strong minded members (Claire and CPU). However, it's clear that Claire, being the founder and the chooser of applicants, wields the most power in the panel. So basically, many decisions could come down to 3-1 votes, even though 3/4 disagree with the decision. This isn't right.

SO here's what we have. It's clear that Claire was the only one who really wanted this, and 2 of the panelist passively agreed (As it is in their nature), and one simply got over ruled.

I have yet to see anyone concur with this decision.

Nezumi

Smash Journeyman
Well when we all talked there were some points that were brought up.

For starters, the list is supposed to display the top players in our region. Basically the "pros" of So Cal. With a larger list that has a bunch of people who lose to unranked players frequently, it loses it's purpose. It makes "pro" mean nothing to anyone if people are always beating ranked players.
In all other competitive games, it's an enormous gap between good and bad. Though the gap isn't as severe in the case of Brawl currently, there is still a gap. Our gap as we came to notice upon looking through all results came after what is now the list, and JonT. He would have been the next person on the list based on consistency, attendance, achievement and other aspects. There was debate on making it a top 11 list, but the panel ended up voting for 10.

This was in no way an easy decision, or a lazy one.

It's not merely about consistency. There are many elements involved in the decision making process, and if you actually look through what players have done during this update you'd see that they haven't been as impressive as you may have thought. Of the tournaments that qualified for the update BardulL only attended 4, and his only real significant win was on JonT. No doubt he is a good player, but he did not display any rank-deeming qualities this time around.

Of the players who didn't make the list, the players who were close included JonT, Rich Brown, and Hugs.

As for Rich Browns point, having a top 15 has possibly made people NOT try as hard as they could be, because it's been pretty undemanding to get on the 11-15 spot. That's the problem. If by making it a stronger list, that discourages people from trying, then that's pretty sad for our region. Of the players who were close to making the list, they themselves had some really bad losses, some bad streaks....
Should there be a clear gap of improvement in the region, aside from where it seems to stand now, then yes we will expand it again.

and Hugo, we may be the most active region, but to assume we are the most talented when hardly any of our players travel out of region or represent us in any fashion is a stretch. I'd say that our region has been the least supportive of its players, or as standing together as a region to show we are better than other regions. Out of state players come to our tournaments fairly frequently, and when they do, our own players don't even attend those tournaments. Not only that but I can list at least 15 tournaments through this update that were hosted with the rule "no ranked players allowed". Our region has no interest in improving or standing together against other regions. They show no support or respect. Perhaps with a stronger list, a more stable list, the respect for what it means to be ranked will grow.

Attendance was a big problem with this update too. Should you want to be considered for ranking, it is key that you attend the bigger tournaments in our region. In fact... it's key that you attend tournaments in general. If you only go to three tournaments in 3 months... not accomplish anything, lose to people you shouldn't have... then you cannot expect to be ranked.

Of the "inconsistent" players you mentioned that are on the list, Hugo, DSF, Tyrant and Mike attended almost double the amount of tournaments that others attended. They went to almost every single tournament, and they have been the only ones to represent our region by traveling out of state and out of region. In fact they were the only ones to support our SD region by going to any Chula Vista tournament this update. If you don't think that's reason enough for why they are there... then you can also look at their records, and considering the ratio of how many tournaments they have been to, their wins sail over their losses. Not to say that those losses were not ignored, but instead considered appropriately.

The biggest problem at hand is not that the list has been shortened. The problem is that our region is no longer working as a region. Tournament hosts are disrespectful...they host tournaments the SAME DAY as regional tournaments INTENTIONALLY... ranked players earn no respect.... everyone expects to beat everyone, controllers are being thrown regularly..... what is going on So Cal?? No one travels, no one supports our fellow regions, even when other regions travel to us our players don't show them courtesy or respect....
When I started in the smash community (2006), the thing that made me stay was the community. Everyone respected everyone, regions competed, traveled. Hosts didn't take venue fees at every single tournament. Hosts respected other hosts. People were excited when out-of-state players traveled here.
So Cal was respected all over the country.

It's no longer about melee, or brawl. The problem with me isn't the games... it's the people. The players who no longer care about the region, about being a unified force.

On a regular basis now i hear the phrase "there are no pros in brawl". I don't think that's true. I think that there are people who are clearly better... who have developed and pushed the game..... and have pushed players to improve. And that's what this list is supposed to do. Push players to improve...

So Cal needs to start working together, instead of against each other.

That's how I feel, anyway.

Gursalug

Smash Journeyman
For what it's worth, Havok is not only a skilled player, but a great TO as well. He has to be one of the most respectful people I've met since I joined this community. I'm not trying to glorify the SD region by any means, but I think Carlos sets a really good example of respect throughout the community.

I have a hard time understanding why this game brings about so much hostility. I don't think I've ever seen so many disrespectful children, yes, children, in any setting than I have at a Smash tournament.

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
Honestly this is the scariest and post powerful list I've seen yet. It looks great, I'd be scared to play any one of them. It sucks to hear from Nezumi though that the tourny scene in socal is getting worse..

5 metaknights = jabbawockeez LOL

EdreesesPieces

Smash Bros Before Hos
BRoomer
NNID
EdreesesPieces
I completely agree with everything Hugo said. I'm dissapointed. I think top 15 encourages more poeple to try to make the list. Sure, ranked plaeyrs 10-15 might try harder to break the top 10, but plaers ranked 15-40 will try even less because they feel they have no chance. It helps a couple of people to motivate, but for most it just kind of makes you go "wow gg"

Also it sucks that you might have Jon T or Bardull versus DSF first round now because they can't be seeded. I think it was also important for seeding. If the panel hosts a tournament, I will dissapointed if you randomize it and bardull or Jon T is first round and you decide to move them from DSF or tryant because they are too good. This effectively admits that they are pretty **** good and you should have ranked them. I'm really dissapointed in the move to top 10 =/

Very nice list itself though. everyones so good wow. Good job Havok for making it!!

As for the why the game brings out hositility its because face it the game has a lot of stupid stuff to it i have a lot of fun with the game but in tourney usually the winning strategy is the most annoying strategy and people are naturally going to get annoyed or mad. This game even makes me mad sometimes when I lose and that says a lot, its one of the reasons I stopped playing, i don't want to be mad.

TlocCPU

Smash Apprentice
Yeah I got my *** outvoted lmao.
But Claire I would just like to say I went to vegas once and that is out of state and pretty hard for someone without transportation to do =D

Cheeri-Oats

Smash Lord
@ Lovage: Smaller pool of people to choose from, etc. Law of Concentrations. I'm sure people that exclusively play Melee have their share of big turds, it's just there are fewer of them because the pool of players is smaller. It's why cities are full of crime while seemingly "well-to-do" have less corruption; it just happens behind closed doors.

I agree with Hugo, and I agree moreso with Edrees. It should be top 15 - 20 (leaning more towards 20.) Fundamentally, the game is flawed, the pool of players is too big, and the priorities of the community are just ****ed. Sucks because I like the game.

ProdigyKid

Smash Lord
@ Lovage: Smaller pool of people to choose from, etc. Law of Concentrations. I'm sure people that exclusively play Melee are just as big turds, it's just there are fewer of them because the pool of players is smaller. It's why cities are full of crime while seemingly "well-to-do" have less corruption; it just happens behind closed doors.
Unfortunately, your assumption can be trumped by the Melee players' actual experiences from the past 3-4 years. In terms of frustration, it's everywhere in every type of competition. Melee, Brawl, baseball, hockey, you name it.

The main difference of getting ***** in Melee and ***** in Brawl is that in Melee, Player A vs SilentSpectre will be amazed when SS does some crazy 0-death combo on you, because skill difference is so obvious. But with Brawl, Player A might lose to DSF, and not be happy at all because "I lost to ****ing Dsmash and tornado," no matter how intellegently and well spaced DSF might play.

What Nezumi is reflecting on is the strong bondage the whole community had as a whole during Melee's golden years. I believe one of biggest reasons for this was the fact we all had one or two gathering points for tournaments, the true biweeklies. NorCal had SJSU NCBs, SoCal had Ken Biweeklies and some monthlies in the middle (UCLA, Palmdale). All the same people, ranked and unranked, came to these tournaments regularly, so after going to a few tournaments, people got to now each others faces, and find other people to play with so that in 2 weeks they can perform better at a tournament.

I stopped playing Brawl not because of what the game was, but because pale the Brawl community seemed in comparison to the Melee community. No matter the region, everyone in turns gets along, notices and respects each others progress in skill, and even if someone is horrible at the game, as long as he's a cool guy they can fit into the community.

If Melee and Brawl had the same percentage of terds in the community, we'd be disappointed in the community as Nezumi is. But we don't. We love our community. <3.

Cheeri-Oats

Smash Lord
You're a cool guy, ProdigyKid, and I don't want to deviate too much from the discussion on the PR, but I'm going to have to point out that your assumptions are a little off.

What I meant in my little statement to Lovage was that everyone has their fair share of bad seeds; with more people you see more of these seeds, that's it.

I was not making a grand commentary on what's more entertaining or why people get more mad when they lose because it's all situational and it all depends on the individual. You may feel that it's awesome to lose to SS because he can 0-Death, and I agree that it would be entertaining to watch, but it's not right to make a blanket statement that everyone would like that anymore or less than losing to DSF in Brawl.

As for your comments about the tournament attendance and the frequency of tournies and how many there are to choose from... I don't see anything wrong with it. At all. The people that want to play better will play with better people, and those that prefer to have fun on their own can do what they want. The community is so large now it's kind of fool-hardy to think that one taste can fit all anymore. But since you also mentioned you stopped attending Brawl tournies, you'd know that a lot of the same people go to every tournament. I'm pretty sure every time I leave San Diego to attend a big tournament there would be a few new faces sure, but I can probably name 80% of the people in the room.

And that's kind of why the PR staying at 10 people does not help anything. People are recognizable at a tournament and sometimes they're even seeded for when they're not even ranked. Our community is so huge yet we acknowledge talented individuals despite the fact that they may or may not be ranked. Why the double standard? Seeding non-ranked individuals implies acceptance that they're skilled (and there are many) yet they're not skilled enough to be ranked? (Maybe I should learn to word it better, excuse any confusion.)

No matter the region, everyone in turns gets along, notices and respects each others progress in skill, and even if someone is horrible at the game, as long as he's a cool guy they can fit into the community.
I've yet to see a fight at a Brawl tournament but I've seen and heard of many from my Melee years. (Don't take it as an offense. Again, every community has their bad seeds.) There is respect for skill amongst people that look up to RANKED PLAYERS, but non-ranked players are RARELY ever respected by those with prestige or status because the general attitude is "hurr hurr, Brawl Noob." I'm guilty of this, yes, but so is this PR because they willingly decided to cut-down the number of RECOGNIZED individuals despite acknowledging their skill behind closed doors when seeding tournament brackets.

itsthebigfoot

Smash Lord
Well when we all talked there were some points that were brought up.

For starters, the list is supposed to display the top players in our region. Basically the "pros" of So Cal. With a larger list that has a bunch of people who lose to unranked players frequently, it loses it's purpose. It makes "pro" mean nothing to anyone if people are always beating ranked players.
JonT and Bardull are consistent as hell, the only inconsistent thing about bardull is whether or not he'll **** everything that isn't top 5, or whether or not he'll **** everything that isn't top 15. Hugs is starting to get that consistency as well. 13 consistent players would mean that there are two spots for the inconsistent players. Honestly, if you don't want 2 inconsistent players on the back of the list, just cut if off at 13. Rich and Awex are inconsistent mostly because olimar will occasionally just get *****, you can have 15 players with a side note that 2 of them are inconsistent as hell.

Honestly, 10 is not enough to reflect the talent out here.

Kouryuu

Smash Champion
@ Lovage: Smaller pool of people to choose from, etc. Law of Concentrations. I'm sure people that exclusively play Melee are just as big turds, it's just there are fewer of them because the pool of players is smaller.
Wrong.

Melee is a respected game dude. Unlike Brawl, it BREEDS respect from players who are not as good as their competition.

Controllers are not thrown "regularly" like it is in the Brawl community (even when it comes to the bigger tourneys). So no, people who play Melee aren't "just as big turds." Such an ignorant comment.

Cheeri-Oats

Smash Lord
Melee is a respected game dude. Unlike Brawl, it BREEDS respect from players who are not as good as their competition.

Controllers are not thrown "regularly" like it is in the Brawl community (even when it comes to the bigger tourneys). So no, people who play Melee aren't "just as big turds." Such an ignorant comment.
Really? :ohwell: I guess I must have worded my comment a little stupidly.

What I meant...

in my little statement to Lovage was that everyone has their fair share of bad seeds; with more people you see more of these seeds, that's it.

TlocCPU

Smash Apprentice
Really? :ohwell: I guess I must have worded my comment a little stupidly.

What I meant...
The funny part is that the only 2 people I've heard of throwing controllers is Richbrown once a long time ago and more recently.....
DSF

Ironic much?

Kouryuu

Smash Champion
I remember hearing LeePuff once punched and broke a chair for losing to JonT due to Frigate Orpheon flipping on him when he had the lead.

Frigate Orpheon FTL...

TlocCPU

Smash Apprentice
Hugo for power ranking panelist
That would really add more balance to it seeing as I'm outvoted 3-1 on just about everything and then when I talk to Hugo about stuff he agrees with me on whatever it was about.

But I would probably get outvoted 3-1 on letting him in xD

itsthebigfoot

Smash Lord
That would really add more balance to it seeing as I'm outvoted 3-1 on just about everything and then when I talk to Hugo about stuff he agrees with me on whatever it was about.

But I would probably get outvoted 3-1 on letting him in xD
I think the panel would be overruled by a general community consensus. The panel is supposed to reflect the community, and if the community by and large disagrees with them then they aren't doing there job right.

hugs should be on now that he is active again, if you get out voted in this then just get the rest of the community to back you up, the community would probably side with hugs.

TlocCPU

Smash Apprentice
I think the panel would be overruled by a general community consensus. The panel is supposed to reflect the community, and if the community by and large disagrees with them then they aren't doing there job right.

hugs should be on now that he is active again, if you get out voted in this then just get the rest of the community to back you up, the community would probably side with hugs.
I personally would very much like someone of Hugo's intelligence and understanding of the game on the panel. It could only do us good.

itsthebigfoot

Smash Lord
no offense to havok, but why is he on over jont?

he's been to 3 of the listed tournaments and got 9th/97, 3rd/84 and 5th/39

jont outplaces him, now you could argue that higher placings should count for more than consistent placings, but then why is mike in over bardull? bardull has placed higher when they're at the same tournament

also, havok is ranked 3rd in san diego behind nyjin, why is it that he's ranked here when someone who the people who play them most say is better isn't ranked at all.

Top Bottom