• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

So, what is the learning Curve for Falco?

Sky`

Smash Lord
>_> 5 minutes?
Uhh...
I feel dumb. =[
I can't SHDL Boost Pivot Grab yet, like all at once. >_<
I can do everything separately.

And whats IAP? I think I can do it, I just don't know what it stands for. XD

pure_awesome

Smash Lord
Really? Just buffer the boost grab right after your second laser. You'll need to use the c-stick, not the A button, for the boost grab, or you'll likely run into some consistency issues.

IAP stands for Immediate Aerial Phantasm. It's when you jump, then SideB right away.

Sky`

Smash Lord
Really? Just buffer the boost grab right after your second laser. You'll need to use the c-stick, not the A button, for the boost grab, or you'll likely run into some consistency issues.

IAP stands for Immediate Aerial Phantasm. It's when you jump, then SideB right away.
Yeah.

I just can't do it consistently yet.

But one dayy!

That's just the beginning of the learning curve. =/
Still need some Real life experience. And that's where the difficulty starts.

faceholerope

Smash Cadet
not so much learning the techniques but being able to set them up, effectively use them and follow up afterward. Yes we can all learn the moves, but the set up, execution and follow through requires skill, you can't just pull out a tech w/o any set up and follow up and expect to go unpunished.

Brawl as a whole requires much less skill to be great at than the other games anyway IMO (don't know about smash 64, but I'm sure about melee)

pure_awesome

Smash Lord
not so much learning the techniques but being able to set them up, effectively use them and follow up afterward. Yes we can all learn the moves, but the set up, execution and follow through requires skill, you can't just pull out a tech w/o any set up and follow up and expect to go unpunished.
Set-up, effective use, and follow-ups aren't tech skill. Tech skill is just straight, "Are your fingers fast enough?" Therein lies the misunderstanding.

Brawl as a whole requires much less skill to be great at than the other games anyway IMO (don't know about smash 64, but I'm sure about melee)
*shrug*

Go win a national tourney then. ;)

@Sky
Well according the other thread, you're already one of the best, most well-known Falcos. :) So just imagine how great you'll be once you can do everything consistently.

faceholerope

Smash Cadet
Set-up, effective use, and follow-ups aren't tech skill. Tech skill is just straight, "Are your fingers fast enough?" Therein lies the misunderstanding.
I see. I apologize for the misunderstanding, but even so I think that Falco does require a decent amount of tech skill to play even outside of his ATs. It's unfair to say the playing him doesn't require it.

*shrug*

Go win a national tourney then. ;)
I never said I was amazing or anything. I just said I think that brawl as a whole requires less from the player than the other games.

pure_awesome

Smash Lord
Haha don't worry man, I'm just messing with you, I know what you mean. Lots of people think that Brawl doesn't require as much skill as the other games in the Smash series. It really all depends on what your definition of skill is. I find Brawl affords you more control over your opponent simply because it is slower and requires less tech skill. It's a gray area, but everyone's got their own thoughts.

As for tech skill, Smash characters in general require very precise manipulation of the controller that most gamers aren't used to. Most gamers are just used to bashing the stick in the direction they want to go, and doing that in Smash will make you fall flat on your face.* So in that context, yes he requires more tech skill than would be considered normal. But in the context of fighting games, he's fairly straight forward. Depends on your perspective, really. But in the end, I think we can all agree that Falco, much like the Hadoken, is down right fierce.**

@NJz
Not as awesome as your sig. Though to be honest, your sig is kind of ruined for me now that so many people have commented that they thought there were ants on their screen. Now every time I see it, I'm like... "Who the hell has ants crawling on their monitor on such a regular basis that it's the first thing their mind jumps to?"

*Get it? 'Cause you'll fail in the competitive scene, but also because of tripping. Man I'm funny.
**Downright fierce? Down-Right-Fierce? Eh? Eh?

NJzFinest

Smash Hero
@NJz
Not as awesome as your sig. Though to be honest, your sig is kind of ruined for me now that so many people have commented that they thought there were ants on their screen. Now every time I see it, I'm like... "Who the hell has ants crawling on their monitor on such a regular basis that it's the first thing their mind jumps to?"
:laugh: I guess this sig truly is top tier :laugh:

GunmasterLombardi

Smash Champion
I'm working with Falco and Pikachu. They're fast fighters and that's what I'm used too. However, I never realized Falco had the best tech chase game. Maybe because people I face don't tech and so I get them into a laser lock.

Corrupted

Smash Journeyman
The learning curve isn't too hard if you have fast/precise fingers. Otherwise it's a *****

Shy Guy 86

Smash Ace
His learning curve isn't that hard, getting the basics isn't so hard, but getting the other stuff can be pretty gay(like me, I can never get the SHDL right >.<)

GimR

GimR, Co-Founder of VGBootCamp
NNID
VGBC_GimR
It's easy as hell to rack damage up with falco, his air dodge punishing game is amazing. The kill is the hardest part because both of his best kill moves(F-smash and U-smash) are punishable. Spike is a good kill move, but only at lower percents. U-air is good at high percents also but only if they're high in the air.

His learning curve is medium I'd say. But there's two different main play styles. The noobish one is to roll a lot, spam your jab attack, and go for the grab way to much, to a point where it's obvious and you'll start getting punished for it. The other one is to play patient and smart. It's too complicated though for me to get into right now

Super Perfect Cell

Smash Rookie
Learning his chaingrab doesn't really take much time but pivot grab tactics you'll have to do some matches to get 'em down. Mastering Falco's spacing takes time too.

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
Falco is soooo easy to learn IMO. Just look at DEHF and Mango. All you have to do is be smart and play gay (aka smart), and Falco is a breeze. Many of his AT's aren't even necessary.

It took me one or two days to pick him up and get him to a tourny viable level.

DemonFart

Smash Lord
Falco is soooo easy to learn IMO. Just look at DEHF and Mango. All you have to do is be smart and play gay (aka smart), and Falco is a breeze. Many of his AT's aren't even necessary.

1st part:agree

2nd part:agree

:094:

DEHF

Smash Champion
NNID
larrlurr

what are you talking about? falco is the hardest character in the game to pick up :laugh:

Hyo

Smash Journeyman
Metaknight is soooo easy to learn IMO. Just look at DEHF and Mango. All you have to do is be smart and play gay (aka smart), and Metaknight is a breeze. Many of his AT's aren't even necessary.

Fixed that.

Top Bottom