• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

So I guess ICs are "S Tier" now :) / :( ?

Smoom77

Smash Master
For me, it felt more like, 'what the heck am I doing right now and what am I SUPPOSED to be doing?!?"

Hylian

Not even death can save you from me
Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
well, i felt WW was too monotonous. but to each his own.

edit: wait, did you play the wii version, or the gcn one?
I played the GC version. I don't want to play the wii one he's right handed in that one and the maps are inverted lol.

phi1ny3

Not the Mama
guyz I just have one thing to say

Mah boi!

on a more serious note, I really liked Minish cap, but I'm going to have to say TP was a bit of a letdown for me (kinda miss the magic meter, even though it meant obsessivly looking for potions even though the magic meter was full).
I thought A Link to the Past was pretty good too, and of course, OoT was astoundingly good.
MM does get a lot of undeserved hate, although I certainly wouldn't start someone on MM who wants to get into the Zelda series lol. It has its own niche.
WW, I dunno, it had a certain feel, like the mini questing was suddenly not as daunting and belabored in a way since you often ran into mini tasks on the way to main quests, so it was more integrated. Even the triforce finding was forgiveable, especially if you went OCD in getting your map completed in the early stages of the game lol.

r3d d09

Smash Master
I found my capture card... as i was setting up my room, i put a sub on a tv by accident. degauss :( and i can't rind the right power adapter for it, it's giving 7 more volts than needed and it's overheating the CC :/ search shall continue

toobusytocare

Smash Lord
i loved using my sword while riding the horse. **** was epic. plus, i found most of the bosses to really amazing (visually they were all stunning, but the spider boss was a big "wtf is this ****?" moment). the story just felt like it was on par in epic-ness with OoT.
yes, finally someone agrees with me lol

Sieguest

Smash Master
WOOO More traveling..... <.< I've gone out of town so much in the past few weeks it's not even funny....

x___________x
I just realized I've only owned one Zelda game my entire life.....
Link to the Past....
I still think LoZ is pretty great though.

Hylian

Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
I'm going to be the highest placing IC at whatever MLG's I decide to go to, especially MLG dallas.

This character needs a ****ing savior.

FrozenHobo

Smash Hero
nah, lets drop back down to high mid tier. then people will be all "hey, this character sucks. let me pwn him!" and we'll be "no, *****. get grabbed!"

word.

Hylian

Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
nah, lets drop back down to high mid tier. then people will be all "hey, this character sucks. let me pwn him!" and we'll be "no, *****. get grabbed!"

word.
I'm not talking about the character I'm talking about the community. You guys.

ch33s3

Smash Lord
I'm going to be the highest placing IC at whatever MLG's I decide to go to, especially MLG dallas.

Don't be cocky. Lain, Meep, and I, had a bad tourney (I had 2). Just wait for big things that are coming.

Hylian

Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
I want results, not **** talk :).
I want results....
period.....
Hey you guys are finally getting it!

Edit: And as for results I got 5th at the last two tournaments I attended. You can see for yourself how hard my competition is placing 4th/5th/6th at MLG. And you'll see again at the next mlg, which hopefully I'll be at ^_^.

Sieguest

Smash Master
Now I all need to do is get a car, my driver's license, and graduate and I'll be on the road to those results.

Until then.... the rest of you go win... =D

Good stuff on getting fifth. @_@ Next time, go win. No questions, just make it happen. ;)

ch33s3

Smash Lord

Edit: And as for results I got 5th at the last two tournaments I attended. You can see for yourself how hard my competition is placing 4th/5th/6th at MLG. And you'll see again at the next mlg, which hopefully I'll be at ^_^.
I guess we'll see then.

I'm still kinda salty that all three of us lost to the same **** luigi -_-

ch33s3

Smash Lord
I need to trust my ICs more against matchups I don't know. I tried MK and that cost me the set. Anyways, that's just a john. I got this next time :-D.

FrozenHobo

Smash Hero
Don't be cocky. Lain, Meep, and I, had a bad tourney (I had 2). Just wait for big things that are coming.
well, you see, lain and meep had a bad tourney. you're just a cocky *** wipe that tells people he's a pro. nobody else really perpetuates that statement... just you. a lot. plus, you like to insult other people, which i have to say doesn't really help your whole "pr" front. you're pretty much the inui of the IC boards.

so yeah... food for thought.

Hylian

Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
Aside from practicing just chaingrabs you guys should try this:

Go and find every desynch you don't know how to do or can't do on command(assuming it's reasonable..for example my desynch no one can really do consistently apparently lol) and learn them. I don't care how long it takes or how boring it is but learn all of them. This gives you access to more options, even if some are worse then others you might find a use for them at some point, you never know.

Once you've done this and are practicing against actual players at smashfests instead of playing like you normally would try playing VERY basic. Not TOO basic but pretty much stop your normal desynching and focus on just moving around and using your shield a lot. While playing this way practice some of the more obscure desynchs in situations you wouldn't normally use them in. Just look for places to do stuff that you normally wouldn't or didn't know how to do before. After doing this a ton you will recognize a lot of situations that a lot of different desynchs will work in or lead to different results.

The reason you want to play without your normal desynching game is because your habits may blind you from options you have. If you normally approach someone with pivot desynch into blizz walls in a match-up then try just walking towards them. Mixing up everything you do leads to you finding things that work and allows you to have more options for those future tournament games when people are catching on to what you are doing.

One thing I love about watching different IC players no matter how good they are is that everyone seems to have so different of a style and most of it is revolved around desynching. For example I was watching Future play Fino in a match and saw him do a nice dash dance desynch to IB to grab as a reaction to something fino did. I wouldn't have done the same thing I would have set up IB walls where he was and kept my stage position which he had and possibly gotten a grab a different way from forcing a bad position, but his method worked quite well so I remembered it.

Which leads into my next things: videos.

Go watch some videos of Kakera. Lain. Meep. Me. SG. Cura. Future. Random IC player 1. etc. You don't need to specifically looking for playstyles or things they are doing better for you, but just pay attention to how differently so many people respond to situations, different desynching patterns, conditioning..avoid watching the match as a whole just look for things you can add into your game, and then practice them against people.

Even if things may not seem useful right away you can always change up your game when you need to if you have the options available to you. So go get those options guys.

Oh, and practice CGing.

Hylian

Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
should I just make that post a thread?

ch33s3

Smash Lord
A really long post with a lot of good points.
Yes. This is exactly how you should practice. I also VERY much suggest not playing "hard" in friendlies, tipping people off to your grab cues is a very bad thing to happen to you, and, at least where I'm from, spreads around very quickly. Someone got a read on one of my common desynch to grab setups, and I haven't been able to use it on the top players here anymore at all. It takes weeks to recover from a tipped habit, even veiled ones.

Practice CGs on Random Level 9 CPUs in brawl mode in 3 to 6 stock matches (thanks Hylian :)), it helps your transition grabs as well as the ability to switch from weight to weight. Once I started practicing on them, I went from crap consistency to excellent. I also suggest practicing grabbing with Nana first, so you're not entirely clueless what to do if you drop a hobble and Nana picks it up, or your desynch goes wrong and nana does a supergrab and you happen to catch them.

Also, practice your CGs.

Hylian

Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
Yeah I feel something good happening on the IC's boards again. Making a thread just gonna copy that post.

lain

Smash Master
I like your thread Hylian.

Lately, I've gotten so caught up in other things besides smash, and I haven't been practicing like I should be. All I ever do is play Snake, Marth, and MK in friendlies. I'm changing that now, getting practiced up HARD, and I'm gonna tear through next MLG. I'm tired of not being what I used to be.

swordgard

Smash Hero

Lately, I've gotten so caught up in other things besides smash, and I haven't been practicing like I should be. All I ever do is play Snake, Marth, and MK in friendlies. I'm changing that now, getting practiced up HARD, and I'm gonna tear through next MLG. I'm tired of not being what I used to be.
I totally approve of what your doing. Good job lain, show em what your made of!

kackamee

Smash Master
NNID
SlushCream
3DS FC
3480-3017-1332

Haha. Well, I'll be at the next MLG and I have a homestate advantage, so maybe I'll do better then average.

Your going to Raleigh?

Well, I'll be happy to see you there <3 I'll give you the best support you've probably ever had.

You mean get gRaped.

Like kack did vs stingers.
You saw that? D: I'll explain my johns if you want :p

FrozenHobo

Smash Hero
How's it going you guys, long time I last visited the boards (it haven't changed much lol).

I'm going to make a video with some probably new and very useful IC tricks and techniques. It'll be online soon =)
l!nk! long time no see! what the ****, man. get on smashboards more often.

r3d d09

Smash Master
after playing melee for two weeks, i popped in brawl, and i felt like i was more balanced or better than i was before melee. Reason being. i suck at melee so i had to read a lot more, and i've been working on my DI a lot * bad habits * and I have agree with what cheese said. work with chaingrabbing as nana has the grab first. we all get in those situations where nana grabs instead of popo and losts of us freeze up, don't say you aren't like this, because i've seen basically every IC vid and it happens everytime, So work on that.

I know my habits, and i'm trying to break them, when i dash in for a grab, i will pull up a shield and try to shieldgrab. But now i'm changing things up and my placements are a lot better than they were two months ago.

I just checked out the the IC wiki. SG and i talked a lot about it before it got developed. I strongly suggest we get that thing moving. If you're active on the thread, i say you're allowed in.

Now that i have a capture card, i think it'd be nice to show setups for grabs, desyncs. etc. Everyone can contribute and make IC's have a good movement in the positive direction. We need to stop holding our secrets, or most. and help eachother out. no one is going to be number one without the support of two and three.

oh, by the way Hylian, i did your desync like 9 times in a row yesterday.

Stop being douchebags and help eachother out. This is a brotherhood, treat it that way.

i'm going to post this in your thread Hylian.

Gaia_x

Smash Champion
I have faith that hylian will place well at MLG. I plan on going to the next MLG and hopefully doing a little bit better. Last time i lost to Chaz 2-1 and C018 2-0. Im not to disappointed with those loses though i felt i could have done better. Hopefully next time i will!

Smoom77

Smash Master
I most likely will go to MLG Dallas. Personally, lol, I'm not gonna do that well. As long as I fight some scrubs, I may do alright.

meepxzero

Smash Master
Im prolly never gonna play icies again until they change the tvs at mlg. I never ever drop grabs in tourney when ive practiced a lot (this tournie i practiced a ton). The entire day i was dropping them over 50% of the time. As far as mlg is concerned there will be no IC savior unless they get a bracket purely of falcos, dks, and watever is an easy match up for us.

Mlg was so depressing to watch almost every ic match. They either got timed out, dropped almost all their grabs, or got mashed out at 50%. Its sad when u have to factor match-ups bassed on how well ur gonna infinite the character because thats all mlg was for me. I was losing to myself rather than the player.

Cheese i beat boss most of the time we play. I knew if i played him at mlg id prolly lose just like you guys due to the TVs.

Top Bottom