• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Snake Q&A

Status
Not open for further replies.

yellowroy

Smash Ace
I almost always just do it with a Ftilt,

If your edgeguarding why would you be moving forward?

Yeah I have to get used to using Dair more.

I only use it like once a set.

Vorguen

Smash Champion
Where I am from, there are a bunch of very good Fox secondaries, and I have a lot of trouble with this matchup. Since there isn't any guides written on this, can someone give me a good quick synopsys on the Snake vs Fox matchup, since the matchup thread is slow as heck and decided to do Wolf.

:)

My biggest nuisances are the D-air approaches to U-tilts to grabs... and his laser camping that renders grenades much less useful.

Ken Neth

Smash Champion
You know fox is going to be coming down with a dair, so just run away and pivot grab. Doing so takes away all options fox has when approaching you from above. You can just crawl under his lasers. Make him come to you. Fox has a really really hard time against defensive play styles.

And about the matchup thread being slow, I was ready to move on after a week or so of luigi, but that got shot down cause they said they weren't done discussing it yet. So that's why it took longer. I'm not planning on having wolf take that long.

Vorguen

Smash Champion
I want to see a video of the pivot grab. Do you run through him and pivot grab? Also, he has no lag upon landing, in which usually he follows up with an u-tilt, d-smash, or grab.

Hence the pivot grab can end up landing into a d-smash or something...

Ken Neth

Smash Champion
No... You just run past where he is going to land and pivot grab. If spaced correctly you won't get punished for it. Maybe I'll record next time I play my friend's fox.

Attila_

The artist formerly known as 'shmot'
BRoomer
@BKP: you mean once snake has grabbed the ledge and needs to get up? you can press down to drop and then quickly use an uair (the best imo), dair or fair, otherwise just jump up and try to dodge. although snake doesnt really like ledges in general, and most of the time you should be recovering up high, so try to avoid them.

@Vorguen: shield grab :) the dair can be shield grabbed with proper timing. the you can d throw and tech chase, or try and get him off the stage and gimp him (fox's recovery is pretty gimpable). else you can nade drop when you see him coming down. i like to fight him up close, avoiding the camp, but i think thats just my playstyle in general. oh, and mortarsliding can get you into trouble: if fox dodges and can just dash to up smash and kill you pretty early. and if hes coming at you in the air, a nade will usually hit you both (worse for him).

Vorguen

Smash Champion
I don't know if you can (reliably) grenade counter his D-air.

also... his D-air can poke your shield, and it's not as easy to shield grab as you think, especially since he has no landing lag and can grab you first.

I don't know if you can (reliably) grenade counter his D-air.

also... his D-air can poke your shield, and it's not as easy to shield grab as you think, especially since he has no landing lag and can grab you first.
Actually I find it pretty easy to shieldgrab the hit. I've played a lot of foxes lately and Dair is pretty eash to shieldgrab. The attack cancels as soon as it hits the ground going into like 2 or 4 frames of landing lag and then you have the human error that might last for like another 2-3 frames before starting the next attack. Then you have the whole time it would take to start another attack after that landing lag. So you have amble time to grab between there and fox won't be able to grab you first, unless you actually got hit by the dair some how. Having a pretty healthy shield and angling it in the right direction reduces poking. Actually the only time I have been poked by dair is if my shield was pretty much at 50% or less anyway.

theONEjanitor

Smash Champion
NNID
the1janitor
fox's like to uptilt after dairing your shield because they think you're gonna try to shield grab.
block the uptilt then ftilt.
like if you take away uptilt fox doesn't do naything. just block that **** son

ftilt outranges everything fox does, and uptilt kills at like 90

just block alot. and ftilt.

snake beats fox pretty easy

and cook grenades and hard throw them, because lasers blow up grenades (which is stupid), so they will explode nearer to fox than you

Vorguen

Smash Champion
Okay

- Cooking grenades results in a laser spam in your face.

- The D-air pokes Snake often and kind of easily

- The problem with blocking through the U-tilt is that they switch it up between tilts and grabs. If you try to shield grab you risk eating an u-tilt. If you try to block long enough for the U-tilt, you risk getting grabbed.

- I played Three Foxes today, the only Fox that gave me trouble was my little brother's (which is also the best of the three, but by a small margin) mostly because he approaches always from the air with different change-ups, usually D-air (sometimes B-air too but not as often), with either SH, SH shine stall d-airs, FH shine stall d-airs, etc. switching it up to D-smashes, U-tilts, and grabs. Normally the tilts and grabs.

Seriously, it sounds much easier on paper. I'll post a video of my Snake up soon so you can see where I am at. I am pretty sure I didn't record any of the Fox matches though, I did get one of Meta Knight though.

Bleh, I hate Fox.

On the upside, now that this has turned into a personal story, I got massively better at the DDD matchup to where I am not scared with it as Snake anymore.

-rant ended

Fox stinks.

Attila_

BRoomer
if memory serves correctly, the fox boards say fox has a slight adv on snake because of the aforementioned reasons... so i say space with ftilt, and punish anything obvious with utilt. oh, and dont be afraid to jump of the edge; fox is pretty easy to gimp if hes below you :)

anyway, i have another question... i was playing my brother just before, and went to blow a c4... snake said "now!" but the c4 didnt blow up. i was miles away from his character, so i wasnt hit or anything. i also remember once or twice hearing the 'planting c4' sound without one appearing below me. does anyone know how to 'c4 cancel'?

thanks

misterpimp5757

Smash Ace
yea like if you do the c4 like a .02 second away from the ground you'll hear the sound that drops it but you the c4 wont appear.

sometimes i hate it bcuz it screws me over....

Chis

Finally a legend
NNID
ArcadianPirate
Any advice on how to use Grenades? I know how to strip them, cook them and stuff. But that's it really. And placements?

Tero.

Smash Champion
Any advice on how to use Grenades? I know how to strip them, cook them and stuff. But that's it really. And placements?
If you know how to do the basic stuff it's just experience.
I assume you know how to grenade counter?

Try to get used to grenades as offensive and especially defensive tools.
Oh and watch some Ally videos.

Btw: You don't main Sonic anymore?

Chis

Finally a legend
NNID
ArcadianPirate
If you know how to do the basic stuff it's just experience.
I assume you know how to grenade counter?
Yep.

Try to get used to grenades as offensive and especially defensive tools.
Oh and watch some Ally videos.
Alright, thanks.

Btw: You don't main Sonic anymore
Nah, I still main him. I just change character icons so people don't make assumptions.

I was told you want to DI/SDI up to avoid the grab from ness, but I DI away from wherever ness is and try to jump out to avoid both the grab and any other method.

Lucarios FS is sort of hard to DI/SDI out of since a person can just adjust it to follow you, but you'd want to try to DI/SDI away from the direction it is moving in.

My own question: What advantages does controller port numbers give snake?

Black_Heretic

Smash Lord
My own question: What advantages does controller port numbers give snake?
lower port nuumbers gives him grab priority, so if you and your opponent grab at the same time, your grab overrides his

Higher port numbers give him grab armor, meaning that he takes no damage or knockback from being hit while holding or throwing

Generally we try to go for port 4 for the armor

Alright then. Does port control also determine if the person will get blasted out of your grasp when you are in a grab. I've run into the times where the person gets hit with the mortar shell, but does not get blasted away from you and other times they do. Or does it depend if you are in the middle of a throw, pummel and not dependent upon ports.

misterpimp5757

Smash Ace
but i heard if your port 4 u die easier. i like port 3 though idk why but i'm just not much for port 4 i feel like im handicap or somethin (no offense to the handicapped)

Ken Neth

Smash Champion
I was talking to misterpimp. You were right about the ports. That is what determines who gets blown up in the air from an explosion. And since that happens a heck of a lot more than two people grabbing at the exact same time, it is a lot better to go for 4th slot.

I was talking to misterpimp. You were right about the ports. That is what determines who gets blown up in the air from an explosion. And since that happens a heck of a lot more than two people grabbing at the exact same time, it is a lot better to go for 4th slot.
When doing a simple one on one, does the port number matter exactly or do you simply need to have the higher port number to still get the same effects if you choose 4 and the opponenet got 1?

Tero.

Smash Champion
Yes, you just have to get the higher port as your opponent.

:005:

Lawlmahbawls

Smash Journeyman
Just to throw this in thar, when online the host of the game is player one port wise. Every person joining after is in the next port.

So the second person joining is in port 2, 3rd port 3 and 4th port 4. So try to get the other person to host if you plan to play as Snake and want nade armor.

misterpimp5757

Smash Ace
well geez ken no need to get mad at me....

anyways when G&W does a SH bair and if i duck would i still get hit???

and can you guys do a quick discussion on g&w? i think the character discussion by abit rusty isnt really helpin me exept for the stages.

Ken Neth

Smash Champion
lol, I'm not getting mad at all. I didn't mean it offensively, sorry if you took it that way.

Character match-up threads are pretty pointless anyways. Cause no two (insert character)s fight the same, and there is no way to fully be ready for a matchup, just by what you've read. It takes experience fighting against that character to fully understand it. It can be helpful in some ways though, it's just not doesn't compare to actual fighting experience.

Edit: And it's me that's running the match-up thread now, btw. Rusty gave me his password a long time ago so i could run it.

Not sure if you can avoid the SH Bair by going prone, but I do know that if they decide to FF the Bair you'll get hit with the landing hitbox of Bair. So I wouldn't really want to try to avoid the Bair by going prone. Shielding and just good old spacing are the best methods of dealing with the Bair, IMO.

Attila_

BRoomer
@22: havokk does that on his surviving cypher grab video btw...

question: how/when can you di out of diddy's fsmash?

reborn394

Smash Apprentice
Sometimes I get a little confused knowing where to place the land mines so I want to know how can I use them effectively.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom