• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Snake Q&A

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bimz

Smash Cadet
is there a way to cancel snake's c4?

sometimes ill hear a clicking sound when i go to plant one, but one wont appear

Random Question

Smash Cadet
What do i need to watch out for on good peach players? Also what moves are best to use against her? I went to a tournament yesterday and i had never played a good peach before, so i got beat.

yellowroy

Smash Ace
how would i beat an olimar that throws pikmin all the time and if u get close he'll pivot grab or dsmash?

i tried spacing with ftilt and camping with nades but it wasnt enough and the matchup was just too hard.

he banned frigate from me....wat was a stage that i couldve used agaisnt him?
Rainbow Cruise.

Norfair's usually banned around here.

IxxI

Smash Fence
Rainbow cruise, on Norfair it's still pretty tough to attack him. You can use C4's and mines on the platforms though to hinder where he can camp.

LOL@fide being banned lolol.

SuSa

Banned via Administration
Thunder brought up something to me on AIM earlier.

Grenade grabbing - Holding B and pressing Z (yah, most of us know about this... if not all)

BUT did you know (according to him, and its what it looks like in the video example he provided to me)

1. You can walk back and forward and grab, giving a slight boost to the grab range - or a nice setup for a grab > boom (grenade blowing up)

2. You can grab MK out of his dash grab. Something our dash grab cannot easily do, same with our STANDING grab.

3. It's "whiffed" frames is the SAME as a standing grab - so it has LESS LAG then a dash grab, but MORE RANGE.

4. If you do whiff it, you are harder to punish because you have a grenade near you!

5. I never knew about this <_< did any of you?

Tub

Smash Apprentice
is there a way to cancel snake's c4?

sometimes ill hear a clicking sound when i go to plant one, but one wont appear
Yes, if you are a certain height off the ground before you plant, it will cancel, click, then no C4... (hard to reproduce, but it does happen occasionally)

Vorguen

Smash Champion
Thunder brought up something to me on AIM earlier.

Grenade grabbing - Holding B and pressing Z (yah, most of us know about this... if not all)

BUT did you know (according to him, and its what it looks like in the video example he provided to me)

1. You can walk back and forward and grab, giving a slight boost to the grab range - or a nice setup for a grab > boom (grenade blowing up)

2. You can grab MK out of his dash grab. Something our dash grab cannot easily do, same with our STANDING grab.

3. It's "whiffed" frames is the SAME as a standing grab - so it has LESS LAG then a dash grab, but MORE RANGE.

4. If you do whiff it, you are harder to punish because you have a grenade near you!

5. I never knew about this <_< did any of you?

This was a bit hard to understand.

xINiiTrOI

Smash Cadet
Does anyone wonder how Ally edgegrabs so well? I am curious of what Ally does to grab the ledge running off of a stage. I find it very hard to grab onto a ledge with Snake coming off of the stage. You cannot just DI towards the stage after running off, because you wan't grab it.
To show an example of what I mean check this vid out at 57secs
http://www.youtube.com/watch?gl=GB&hl=en-GB&v=-fv2IsRoZhs Thanks.

Random Question

Smash Cadet
how would i beat an olimar that throws pikmin all the time and if u get close he'll pivot grab or dsmash?

i tried spacing with ftilt and camping with nades but it wasnt enough and the matchup was just too hard.

he banned frigate from me....wat was a stage that i couldve used agaisnt him?
If you really want to win against an olimar that spams pikmin play with falco. Falco's spin and reflector pwn olimars. The spin won't let the thrown pikmin attack you and reflector will send them back. And EDGEHOG at right time so you won't get hit by the power one.

AfroQT

Smash Master
To Snake Mains

Grenade Grabbing
Its ****ing simple

1.Hold B...do not release.
2.Press Forward (hard as if to dash)...Notice that huge forward step you take.
3. During that step forward (the HUGE stepforward he takes when your HOLDING B WITH A GRENADE) hit your grab button (w/e it may be for you).

Snake slides forward and grabs....

Positives:
All normal grab positives +
Extended Grab range
More range then dash grab with no less lag
Can grab pretty much all dash attacks AND dash grabs....even d3s
Is a safe approach..if your opponent is spacing you, and you do this...unless they sidestep it will beat pretty much any standing option they have...
Can be done backwards as well...

Negatives
Normal Grab Negatives +
while holding a grenade you cant do various things (obviously....)

This can be used as a safe approach if you cook grenades as well (great for fighting d3s).

If anyone doesnt understand...i dont care. Im just a scrub snake anyway according to most.... (even tho i've beaten alot of top players)

SamuraiPanda

Smash Hero
Negatives also include people just hitting you when they see you do it. D3s here in MI will grab me if they see me moving with a nade. MKs will just dsmash me if they see me moving in as well.

Nade to grab works, but once the opponent sees it or knows how to counter it, it becomes a situational mixup to use here and there. IMO of course.

SuSa

Banned via Administration
er... Samurai...

"Negatives also include people just hitting you when they see you do it"
You mean like all grabs?

"D3s here in MI will grab me if they see me moving with a nade"
"Can grab pretty much all dash attacks AND dash grabs....even d3s"

You're doing something wrong...........

AfroQT

Smash Master
Negatives also include people just hitting you when they see you do it. D3s here in MI will grab me if they see me moving with a nade. MKs will just dsmash me if they see me moving in as well.

Nade to grab works, but once the opponent sees it or knows how to counter it, it becomes a situational mixup to use here and there. IMO of course.
Yeah...duh holmes....
But people ARENT doing it and its ****ing good.
Instead of ALWAYS ftilting when you are in range (which btw, anyone good knows how to punish that ****) grenade then grenade grab is good as hell.
PLUS whne you pull a grenade you dont always have to grenade grab.

For instance, when i pull a grenade
Im not looking for a grenade grab
HOWEVER
If the opportunity arises i'll take it.
Its a way to make pulling your grenades safer...
With this its alot easier to pull grenades.

if you didnt read what i said.. Lets assume you pull a grenade..hold it and MK dash attacks you. NORMALLY you'd get hit...the most you could do is shield or sidestep...but if you run forward grenade grab you'll literally just grab mk...taking no damage (maybe taking damage and still getting the grab).

What if the mk decides to dash grab while your holding a grenade? Thats fine....grenade grab beats mk's dash grab....

BUT WAIT
What if MK dash's up and sidesteps to bait the grab....thats fine to..you'll recover faster and get a free ftilt...(or atleast avoid the oncoming attack after the sidestep).

Grenade grab is also a free approach on d3...D3 CAN NOT grab snakes grenade grab..period.
Seibrik (one of the best d3's in the nation if not the best...) will tell you....Grenade grab owns all of d3's grab. You can safely approach d3 with this...at best he can try to sidestep it...and you'll recover and be safe...

Most importantly use of this technique makes pulling grenades from most distances completely safe.. Pretty much they have to PREDICT when you are going to pull a grenade and not REACT to you pulling a grenade...as this makes them REACTING to you pulling a grenade safe....Does anyone not understand? Essentially what im saying is...they can still dash attack you in the lag from pulling a grenade...BUT thats only if they predict your gonna pull one...if you pull one and they react and try to dash attack after you've already pulled one..its l iterally a free grab...

This is great for grenade games.

napZzz

Smash Hero
noob question:

How do you b reverse grenades? I never took the time to learn and now I wanna >:/

Sandst0rm

Smash Cadet
noob question:

How do you b reverse grenades? I never took the time to learn and now I wanna >:/
I would like to know this too. I read how to do it once but never understood... sometimes i do it on accident
Okay. I think this has been answered several times in this topic, but I'll explain it again. Pretty much, whenever you jump/double jump in a direction or fall in a direction, you want to press B and then tap the opposite direction on the C-stick immediately after pressing B. You can do this for any B move, with their respective button inputs. It isn't hard to master. Just go into training mode and mess around with it.

Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TojIKgMPs6s

I mostly use it when falling after cyphering so my landing isn't so predictable. You can use it more than once in that situation if you're fast enough.

Sandst0rm

Smash Cadet
On contact, yes. I'm pretty sure it works the same even off-contact since there's a Z button. You could change the buttons around and set 1 to Attack. Then it might work the same way as off-contact dacus.

_Phloat_

Smash Champion
Slowly approach, shield what he throws at you. It, to me, sounds like he is backing up..

Let him back off stage.

You are a Snake player, right?

Just outcamp him =P

GwJ

Smash Hero
NNID
Baghul
You can literally walk and (power)shield them. TL's horizontal momentum isn't Wario's, he doesn't go too far. You'll catch up with him and follow up with whatever you want after some minimal effort.

SamuraiPanda

Smash Hero
Sometimes when Pikachu Fthrow CGs me to the end of the stage at a low percent, I'm able to pull nades between throws, but sometimes the nades just don't come out. Am I mistiming them when they don't come out, or can Pikachu buffer a running grab to prevent Snake from pulling a nade?

Darkshadow7827

Smash Lord
I posted this on the Allisbrawl sister site, but it's just too inactive to get a response.
NOTE: I have read the DI thread and multiple DI thread for Snake and in General. I just need some clarification please.

So in terms of QCDI, we are supposed to move the analogue stick in a QC motion perpendicular to our trajectory ONLY during the hitstun or moment of smash? To clarify, if Fox Fsmashes snake to the right dead zone, during that initial moment we move the stick in a 789 movement (street fighter terms ; regular terms would be northwest to northeast)? This would add 3 vertical vectors to the trajectory to hopefully change the path to the northeast blast zone?

That would at the moment we are smashed. Afterwards, we would DI towards the northeast corner blast zone and momentum cancel with either an airdodge and jump or bair and jump?

Also, another thing I was confused about was SDI. I get that it's similar to QCDI (right?), but I just have a small question about the actual mechanism. So taking the example above, if you hit left on the c-stick, you'd slightly "teleport" to the left a LITTLE bit? That's the impression I got from the link.
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=221969

I'm getting better at momentum cancelling, I just need to implement the fancy DIs now.

Any answers to my questions is greatly appreciated.

The Cunning Weasel

Smash Master
Sometimes when Pikachu Fthrow CGs me to the end of the stage at a low percent, I'm able to pull nades between throws, but sometimes the nades just don't come out. Am I mistiming them when they don't come out, or can Pikachu buffer a running grab to prevent Snake from pulling a nade?
What is buffering exactly?

Tub

Smash Apprentice
I posted this on the Allisbrawl sister site, but it's just too inactive to get a response.
NOTE: I have read the DI thread and multiple DI thread for Snake and in General. I just need some clarification please.

So in terms of QCDI, we are supposed to move the analogue stick in a QC motion perpendicular to our trajectory ONLY during the hitstun or moment of smash? To clarify, if Fox Fsmashes snake to the right dead zone, during that initial moment we move the stick in a 789 movement (street fighter terms ; regular terms would be northwest to northeast)? This would add 3 vertical vectors to the trajectory to hopefully change the path to the northeast blast zone?

That would at the moment we are smashed. Afterwards, we would DI towards the northeast corner blast zone and momentum cancel with either an airdodge and jump or bair and jump?

Also, another thing I was confused about was SDI. I get that it's similar to QCDI (right?), but I just have a small question about the actual mechanism. So taking the example above, if you hit left on the c-stick, you'd slightly "teleport" to the left a LITTLE bit? That's the impression I got from the link.
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=221969

I'm getting better at momentum cancelling, I just need to implement the fancy DIs now.

Any answers to my questions is greatly appreciated.
If I'm correct QCDI is only used while being hit (not mid-flight)
and as for "teleporting", sure, if you want to call it that...

The only way you can pull out a nade is if pikachu does not buffer grabs perfectly.

What is buffering exactly?
brawl's engine allows for you to input commands before the previous one is finished, meaning that you can "buffer" a grab, while the previous one is still happening.

noahbaby94

Smash Cadet
What's the best way to deal with ather I have an ike friend who spams the hell out of it and the super armor on it makes it really hard to punish.

Bladewing

Smash Apprentice
how does snake deal with olimar and friends? I think everyone agrees with me that olimar can outspam snake quite easily but his grab range and all his grabs are just...unfair. So far the only way i've found to deal with them is edgeguard them but pro olimars won't be edgeguarded. so what do i do?

Tub

Smash Apprentice
If you really don't think you can out camp olimar (you can), and you feel you must approach, and grabs are the main thing bothering you; spot-dodge the grabs! their grabs are really quite slow, and have considerable ending lag... but you can out camp... (also, you can edgeguard, where's your faith?)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom