• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Snake Q&A

Status
Not open for further replies.

Attila_

The artist formerly known as 'shmot'
BRoomer
can u di/sdi out of zamus' up b spike?

and can i have a few matchup tips? and stages to ban/cp
pretty sure you cant di out of the first one she does if she hits you right, but it doesnt combo, cause you can try and tech or di out of multiple hits. its pretty slow, shouldnt really be a concern in this match up.

she's all about spacing and juggling, cause that's all she can do. she lives inbetween your ftilit range and your nade camping range, so just try and close or widen the gap and she's helpless. her fspecial is your main concern, very solid range, good ko power, but its slow and easily signposted. just close in on her, and smash her with your tilts. her shield grab is about as slow as they come (i think lucas' may be the only slower one) so she shouldnt be able to punish your mistakes with grabs, provided your decent at spotdodging. gimping isnt really advisable unless she stuffs up, cause her uspecial spike is lethal and has invincibility range. at close range, be weary of her dsmash, which combos well but is slow and very punishable. her jab would be awesome except (if youre on the ground) you can ALWAYS shield the last hit (or roll, spotdodge) and punish. this works for jab cancels also. kill her real early with utilt, and its gameover. oh, and stay out of the air, cause she'll juggle the crap out of you...

defs an advantage for snake here, for the record...

Black_Heretic

Smash Lord
I believe thats the pivot boost grab you're talking about, his regular pivot grab doesn't go that far

and I don't have a clue as to how far it reaches because I pivot boost grab every time

@Ixxi >.>

napZzz

Smash Hero
lol yoshi's a ***, but I have a lot of experience with him

Try your best to out camp him, eggs are gay. Cooking nades in the air works well and if you get him to approach you can shut him down with a mix of shield grabs (make sure you move your shield towards him when he bairs because otherwise it usually goes through it) and tilts n jabs. Bair works well on him too in the air

Yoshi seriously cant kill for ****, its hilarious. Just learn to DI all his attacks correctly and what not since you can also kill him easy with utilt at about 120

Dont go to battlefield, for some odd reason I have more trouble vs. the 2 yoshi's I face there, maybe its just cuz my snake doesn't function well there D':

Halberds a good stage, its incredibly hard for yoshi to kill you there since his best kill moves are reliant on vertical k.o's. You can also outcamp him alot easier there too.

watch out for pivot grabs btw.

I believe thats the pivot boost grab you're talking about, his regular pivot grab doesn't go that far

and I don't have a clue as to how far it reaches because I pivot boost grab every time

@Ixxi >.>
I don't mean distance wise in moving. I simply mean how far from snake's grab range extends from his body when he does the pivot grab vs regular. Ever time I do pivot grab vs regular I always seem to be able to grab them from further away than the regular.

PinkishBruno

Smash Rookie
What are some things to keep in mind in a match-up against Diddy Kong? Banana spam is annoying.

IxxI

Smash Fence
What are some things to keep in mind in a match-up against Diddy Kong? Banana spam is annoying.
I do pretty well against Diddy Kong's. I've beaten Fliphop, and Player - 1 a few times in the past, but they still **** me most of the time. Anyway, I usually just stay away and camp with grenades, when they get close space him out with f tilts, or shield drop grenades and side step.

EDITTTTTT!

How exactly do you boost pivot grab? I've wanted to know for a while, just got to lazy to ask, and thought it just wasn't worth it. Apparently it is. SO TELL ME NAOW.

Tub

Smash Apprentice
Run left, c-stick down, Z+right.
Oppisite, when running right.

EDIT: Here's some critique for your vid :p
To begin with, you need to cook your nades more, (unless you're doing the; run off stage > throw nade towards stage > recover with nikita, because that was sexy!
Second, it seems like you really enjoy using bair when coming back down to the stage, stop that, it is very predictable, and easily punished.
Third: not sure if you were trying to start f-tilts with jab or not, but you rarely pulled it off, make sure to crouch cancel.
Fourth: don't use u-tilt for damage racking, save it!
Fifth: punish those non-techs (after d-throw) with a dair! (or atleast a f-tilt)
Sixth: how on earth do I pronounce lxxl?

IxxI

Smash Fence
Run left, c-stick down, Z+right.
Oppisite, when running right.

EDIT: Here's some critique for your vid :p
To begin with, you need to cook your nades more, (unless you're doing the; run off stage > throw nade towards stage > recover with nikita, because that was sexy!
Second, it seems like you really enjoy using bair when coming back down to the stage, stop that, it is very predictable, and easily punished.
Third: not sure if you were trying to start f-tilts with jab or not, but you rarely pulled it off, make sure to crouch cancel.
Fourth: don't use u-tilt for damage racking, save it!
Fifth: punish those non-techs (after d-throw) with a dair! (or atleast a f-tilt)
Sixth: how on earth do I pronounce lxxl?
1. Yeah I know I have to cook nades more, but in online I tend to think the nade count lags too. LOL that nikita > nade explosion was totally on accident. I was trying topull of a b reversal.=[

2. Everytime I land something that works, I have a habit of repeating it a few times, I know its baaaad. In the video, If i would land an ftilt I would repeat. Upsmash. Greandes. And at the end bair. It's a bad habit of mine.

3.Crouch Cancel? I'm usually able to pull jab>ftilt1>ftilt2 easily, but in online i'm afraid i'll go too fast and end up doing the 3x jab combo.

4. I KO with ftilt. =D

5. Sometimes people are too low to the ground for an ftilt or jab to hit. That's why I used uptilt because it's guaranteed on all characters. I wasn't sure if the ftilt was going to hit at the time, I wasn't thinking about my matchup. lol

6, You don't.

Tub

Smash Apprentice
lol, 1, 2, and 5 were all things I used to do aswell, once you can catch yourself, and break habits you will notice a substantial amount of improvment in your game. (as for 5, I said dair, not f-tilt/jab, you silly goose!)

EDIT: OK, so I did mention f-tilt, and as for it not being able to hit someone after a d-throw, you dont have to worry, it will.

Attila_

BRoomer
I do pretty well against Diddy Kong's. I've beaten Fliphop, and Player - 1 a few times in the past, but they still **** me most of the time. Anyway, I usually just stay away and camp with grenades, when they get close space him out with f tilts, or shield drop grenades and side step.
My brother is the best diddy in my state, and has won a couple of tournys, but i beat him most of the time. dont camp, cause it really doesnt work. if you dont believe me, watch ally verse any diddy, and you can count on one hand the amount of nades he uses. bananas completely outclass nades. imo, they outclass any projectile and are one of the best moves in the game. you have to constantly apply pressure, not let him set up combos, and learn how to use bananas yourself. its a little harder for snake, cause he's too tall, and often you'll throw bananas over his head, while his hit your shield and make you trip over. spotdodging and powershielding is therefore crucial. apart from that, make sure you gimp him whenever he's under the stage. a banana thrown at his barrels will make him fall to his doom, otherwise, a fast fall bair will do the job nicely. keep in mind that its almost impossible to stage spike him out of his barrels, cause the game makes him slide up the stage (wth) so *try* and hit him away. oh, and stay away from fd if possible.

IxxI

Smash Fence
My brother is the best diddy in my state, and has won a couple of tournys, but i beat him most of the time. dont camp, cause it really doesnt work. if you dont believe me, watch ally verse any diddy, and you can count on one hand the amount of nades he uses. bananas completely outclass nades. imo, they outclass any projectile and are one of the best moves in the game. you have to constantly apply pressure, not let him set up combos, and learn how to use bananas yourself. its a little harder for snake, cause he's too tall, and often you'll throw bananas over his head, while his hit your shield and make you trip over. spotdodging and powershielding is therefore crucial. apart from that, make sure you gimp him whenever he's under the stage. a banana thrown at his barrels will make him fall to his doom, otherwise, a fast fall bair will do the job nicely. keep in mind that its almost impossible to stage spike him out of his barrels, cause the game makes him slide up the stage (wth) so *try* and hit him away. oh, and stay away from fd if possible.
Your brother is Vyse...?

Attila_

BRoomer
Your brother is Vyse...?
nope vyse lives in qld, i live in vic. they've never played each other, but quite a few people who have versed both reckon my brother would defs give vyse a run for his money. we will hopefully travel up to qld in may for a tourny to test this out...

the only videos ive got are in rubbish quality, but im ordering a gamebridge on payday, so ill hopefully be able to put up some example vids soon.

all diddys are the same anyway, imo. some just use bananas better than others.

Attila_

BRoomer
since we're from aus, we dont play online. soooo much lag its unbearable. like i said, ill put some vids up at some point soon, so you can see me three stocking him ;)

Vyse

Faith, Hope, Love, Luck
BRoomer
*Name Searches*

Shmot, your brother is probably a better Diddy than I if he can beat Cobalt.
I dunno. I'm gonna practice hard between now and May and see what I can do.

Is Tibz coming?

IxxI

Smash Fence
That boost pivot grab is haaaard. I don't know the exact timing, and how big is the hit box for it?

Tub

Smash Apprentice
If they do a get-up attack: sheild, then grab.
If they roll away from you: do a boost grab.
If they roll towards you: turn around and grab.
If they do nothing: wait, or do a dair.

Tub

Smash Apprentice
Dair is usually DI'ed incorrectly, adds more damage than f-tilt (which is usually stale), and using u-tilt as a damage racker isnt a great idea. (needs to be fresh for killin folks)

fide

Smash Rookie
i dislike playing with snake. he dont have nothing. granade, bazuka, . is a imcomplete chooise. mario, fox, sheik, falco, are good fighters. they really have (stile), talent. will be honest. you can play whit snake and win , that's true. but you need to effort the poor snake becouse is worse than the others like metaknight.

i am a pro man in smash bros. i know all the figters. metaknight is the most complete. for that i dont play whit him. my chooise is mario and no other. sorry my english

Tub

Smash Apprentice
i dislike playing with snake. he dont have nothing. granade, bazuka, . is a imcomplete chooise. mario, fox, sheik, falco, are good fighters. they really have (stile), talent. will be honest. you can play whit snake and win , that's true. but you need to effort the poor snake becouse is worse than the others like metaknight.

i am a pro man in smash bros. i know all the figters. metaknight is the most complete. for that i dont play whit him. my chooise is mario and no other. sorry my english
OK, I'll bite... you say that snake "don't have nothing" (excusing the bad english, and ignoring the double negative) then, you blatantly list two things he has...
You go on to name a few characters that have talent, however, it is not the character, but it is the player who has talent. (unless you were trying to say that using snake is easy, and takes no talent, in which case, you would be wrong, snake has one of the hardest learning curves)
After that you state that snake is "much worse than other characters like metanight" so, tell me, which characters are like metanight, and why are they always beating talentless snakes?
Lucky me, you already ready answered my question, it's because you're a pro; I know this is true, because you also inform us that you "know all the fighters" (which is the exact definition of pro)
Finally, you tell us MK is the best, and thats why you use mario... all logic, and common sence aside, (if I you don't mind me asking) why did you post this in a SNAKE Q&A?!
Sorry, let me rephrase the question, why did you even post?!

By Utilt, I meant being used to kill with and not for damage racking. Dair for sure at lower percents and stuff, but uptilt to KO those that ly still and are at high percents. Which is still unlikely, but whatever.

IxxI

Smash Fence
OK, I'll bite... you say that snake "don't have nothing" (excusing the bad english, and ignoring the double negative) then, you blatantly list two things he has...
You go on to name a few characters that have talent, however, it is not the character, but it is the player who has talent. (unless you were trying to say that using snake is easy, and takes no talent, in which case, you would be wrong, snake has one of the hardest learning curves)
After that you state that snake is "much worse than other characters like metanight" so, tell me, which characters are like metanight, and why are they always beating talentless snakes?
Lucky me, you already ready answered my question, it's because you're a pro; I know this is true, because you also inform us that you "know all the fighters" (which is the exact definition of pro)
Finally, you tell us MK is the best, and thats why you use mario... all logic, and common sence aside, (if I you don't mind me asking) why did you post this in a SNAKE Q&A?!
Sorry, let me rephrase the question, why did you even post?!
Let it go Tub... He is either really nooby or an obvious troll.

Tub

Smash Apprentice
By Utilt, I meant being used to kill with and not for damage racking. Dair for sure at lower percents and stuff, but uptilt to KO those that ly still and are at high percents. Which is still unlikely, but whatever.
Yes, definitely u-tilt at higher percentages (because when it kills, it makes them look SO stupid!) but usually they wont just lay there at higher %'s, because at that point they'd rather just take more damage than a stock...

misterpimp5757

Smash Ace
how would i beat an olimar that throws pikmin all the time and if u get close he'll pivot grab or dsmash?

i tried spacing with ftilt and camping with nades but it wasnt enough and the matchup was just too hard.

he banned frigate from me....wat was a stage that i couldve used agaisnt him?

napZzz

Smash Hero
heres food for thought dont bother using snake on olimar

Pick marth and spam fair with good spacing lol. Its hard to lose because it slashes away pikminz and he cant grab you out of the air if you space it right. I'm not talking about double fair approach either, never do that. Just spam fair...:p

how would i beat an olimar that throws pikmin all the time and if u get close he'll pivot grab or dsmash?

i tried spacing with ftilt and camping with nades but it wasnt enough and the matchup was just too hard.

he banned frigate from me....wat was a stage that i couldve used agaisnt him?
Just means you have more to work on with your camping game (something I need to do too). You probably haven't learned how to cook grenades and avoid getting hit by projectiles at the same time well enough yet. That is pretty much the key to outcamping olimar.

Olimar is a better defensive character than offensive character. Get him to approach and the match is pretty much in your favor now. After the approach is started learn how olimar approaches, defend accordingly (dodging, shielding, tilts, etc) and then move in for the counterattack. You don't want olimar getting back up again.

Norfair...
Just beware of olimar below you. You don't want to get Uaired.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom