• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Snake players.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

$....$

Smash Rookie
I waz wondering wat seperates Top snake players from other snakes wat do Top snakes do different then other Snakes?

Kitamerby

Smash Hero
Win .

But seriously, in general they're usually just much better players than the other Snakes.

Underload

Lazy
Place well, and in tournies that matter.

But seriously, if you're just looking for advice, then I'll try to theorycraft some for you. Good Snakes have a large database of knowledge about the game. From frame data, to what every animation looks like, to matchup experience, all of it has to be there and ingrained in your memory. If there's any place to start, it's there, in the database of knowledge we have about this game. Once you can integrate that knowledge into how you play, that's when you start seeing results.

$....$

Smash Rookie
ok

Place well, and in tournies that matter.

But seriously, if you're just looking for advice, then I'll try to theorycraft some for you. Good Snakes have a large database of knowledge about the game. From frame data, to what every animation looks like, to matchup experience, all of it has to be there and ingrained in your memory. If there's any place to start, it's there, in the database of knowledge we have about this game. Once you can integrate that knowledge into how you play, that's when you start seeing results.
thanks.... wat benefits do u get from knowing frame data?

Today

ლ(இДஇლ)
Cincinnati, Ohio ; Land of Happiness and Kindness
NNID
Daylightful
Social thread: http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=234484 XP

But yeah.

Top players place well... the top at tournaments. Makes sense, right? If you're always #1 then people will see you as #1.

I don't think knowledge really have to deal with too much although it is very good to have. And Matchup experience is a must. Some top players just play, honestly. Some people are just naturally good. Some people have to work harder than others. Some people know more. There are people that know A LOT about characters but are bad at the game. Vice-versa.

Honestly. Want to be a top player? Place well at tournaments. How to do that? Play the game. Play a lot. play good people. If you always play someone that is slightly better than you you'll eventually get on their level. Then play someone that's better than that. And so on and so forth. It's possible that some people may not even get better and just be a bad gamer. Knowledge can help. It's good to know what character is bad against what and what you should do against them.

Matchup experience.
Gaming experience.
Play style experience.
Tournament experience.
Player experience.

Having the experience and being able to use it makes you a top player.

-Ran

Smash Master
Top Snakes don't get knocked off stage, and thus don't get edge guarded. It's that simple. If you can avoid getting gimped or damage stacked on you for being knocked off the stage, you're probably going to win your match with Snake. When they are knocked off, they are able to position themselves and DI to where they avoid further damage, or being put into an even worse position. Since Snake has a horrible ledge game, one single ledge grab can lead to being knocked off the stage once again. It all comes down to not getting knocked off stage, and getting back safely without relying on the edge, or taking unnecessary damage.

napZzz

Smash Hero
They just aren't stupid and they know how to predict and be smart with explosives

Usually the top snakes are good at mind ****ing people, which is one of the things you have to be good at with snake, just making them intimidated and working from there

$....$

Smash Rookie
Usually the top snakes are good at mind ****ing people, [/QUOTE]

How do u exactly mindgame other players?

AfroQT

Smash Master
You guys are just throwing completely random answers out there, like you all dont know what separates a good player from a bad player.

The difference between a top player of any character, and a bad player, is the mind.

You guys are just throwing completely random answers out there, like you all dont know what separates a good player from a bad player.

The difference between a top player of any character, and a bad player, is the mind.

I don't see many mind-games from M2K. He just does the robot and *****. I do however see them from Ally, MikeHAZE and Meep

etecoon

Smash Hero

it's ONE of the things that separates good and bad players, but denying that reaction, precision, clean execution etc. matter is pretty foolish. it doesn't matter how smart you are if you can't do what you're thinking

that being said I do mostly agree, and M2K is an incredibly smart player wtf are you talking about...

edit: and in terms of "the mind" that doesn't just mean playing brawl intelligently or mindgames, it also means your competitive attitude in general. your talent will go to waste if you have no confidence or resolve

AfroQT

Smash Master
I don't see many mind-games from M2K. He just does the robot and *****. I do however see them from Ally, MikeHAZE and Meep
Is this a joke post?

M2k is probably the smartest smasher out there.
Period.

it's ONE of the things that separates good and bad players, but denying that reaction, precision, clean execution etc. matter is pretty foolish. it doesn't matter how smart you are if you can't do what you're thinking
This is brawl, everything technically related (okay MOST things) are ridiculously easy to learn compared to other fighting games. You don't learn combos, you learn "techs" that are ridiculously easy to do. Snake for instance doesnt have anything thats even remotely difficult to do on a regular basis. Maybe the hardest would be...teching the edge into a grenade pivot? Which certainly isnt hard...at all.

Brawl is mainly mind versus mind, and almost little to no technical play (bar a few characters obviously). Probably the only thing that separates good players from the bad (or the MAIN thing) is the mind. Whether it be "competitive attitude" or w/e.

OverLade

Smash Hero
Knowing stuff is still important but knowing stuff will only allow you to get so far within your potential basically.

Is this a joke post?

M2k is probably the smartest smasher out there.
Period.
I didn't say he wasn't smart. I said I don't see mind games from M2K as much as I do from other top players. I've really only seen the M2K vs ally vids so maybe I need to watch other ones but I think M2K ***** people because he knows the game well and MK better. Sue me if i'm wrong

napZzz

Smash Hero
you cant understand what goes through both of the opponents heads at a high level of play, hes very smart and can usually come out of any situation he's put in on top, unless its vs. diddy because he has no clue how to play the matchup

etecoon

Smash Hero
you cant understand what goes through both of the opponents heads at a high level of play, hes very smart and can usually come out of any situation he's put in on top, unless its vs. diddy because he has no clue how to play the matchup
diddy does almost make you wonder <_<

etecoon

Smash Hero
inui is a top player(in his state anyway...), general intelligence =/= smash intelligence

OverLade

Smash Hero
inui is a top player(in his state anyway...), general intelligence =/= smash intelligence
"Hey if I throw out a name of a farmiliar player mabye I'll be right!!! " :ohwell:

General intelligence isn't equal to IQ either.

And inb4namesearch.

Processing speed/reaction speed is what makes people good at smash. I don't know if that's directly related to IQ or not but I'm sure there's a correlation.

etecoon

Smash Hero
more like I saw an opportunity to insult someone that's fun to insult and I did it?

it's no fun with him being banned though -_-

OverLade

Smash Hero
more like I saw an opportunity to insult someone that's fun to insult and I did it?

it's no fun with him being banned though -_-
I'm going to be a stickler and say your joke was badly formulated to the point where it seemed like ignorance as opposed to sarcasm.

And yeah jokes are more important than a balanced metagame of course...

AfroQT

Smash Master
Fighting game smarts and IQ are obviously different.
Not trying to be a ****, but i see a bunch of randoms talking like they are in the know.

In reality, about 100% of you arent.

Mindgames isnt something you "see". Its more like something you comprehend. If you think M2K wins just because he knows the game better, you dont even know whats happening when you watch videos. It's alot more then just "he up b'd here". Im not saying brawl is super super deep, but its alot deeper then average players can see. Thats alot of the reason these matchups are absolute ****, and arent good for teaching people anything past the beginning of brawl competitive play.

Proof being the kid that just said he doesnt see mind games from m2k rofl...thats sig worthy..

Redhalberd, you are still a young apprentice. I will have to continue Chops lessons.

$....$

Smash Rookie
Its more like something you comprehend. If you think M2K wins just because he knows the game better, you dont even know whats happening when you watch videos. It's alot more then just "he up b'd here". Im not saying brawl is super super deep, but its alot deeper then average players can see. Thats alot of the reason these matchups are absolute ****, and arent good for teaching people anything past the beginning of brawl competitive play.
[/QUOTE

Ah i see then how does an average player get into that sort of high level? does it come when u just play the game a bunch?

Sinz

The only true DR vet.
Premium
Its more like something you comprehend. If you think M2K wins just because he knows the game better, you dont even know whats happening when you watch videos. It's alot more then just "he up b'd here". Im not saying brawl is super super deep, but its alot deeper then average players can see. Thats alot of the reason these matchups are absolute ****, and arent good for teaching people anything past the beginning of brawl competitive play.
[/QUOTE

Ah i see then how does an average player get into that sort of high level? does it come when u just play the game a bunch?
It comes from losing. It comes from getting destroyed so many times that you are forced to adapt and figure out things. It comes from playing who are better than you. You have to play people who are better than you or you won't get much better.

napZzz

Smash Hero
It comes from losing. It comes from getting destroyed so many times that you are forced to adapt and figure out things. It comes from playing who are better than you. You have to play people who are better than you or you won't get much better.
It helps, but thats not true

I found that you get better faster when playing people your skill level give or take a bit. Having your @$$ handed to you gets really old fast and will probably discourage you from playing the game before you get anywhere. Eventually you need to play people better than you but playing them a whole lot just is a bad idea IMO. I started playing in September last last and when you have a group of people who just started to pick it up with you and are equal level with you it just helps you out. One person is good or better than the others and the other have to learn a new thing before you even it out.

OverLade

Smash Hero
Redhalberd, you are still a young apprentice. I will have to continue Chops lessons.
Remember when I said I was going to make you my apprentice?

It's happening right now

edit:
Oh yeah and remember that whole year that you were chillin and I was out doing stuff? About that...

AfroQT

Smash Master
Remember when I said I was going to make you my apprentice?

It's happening right now

edit:
Oh yeah and remember that whole year that you were chillin and I was out doing stuff? About that...
It seems someone needs humbled.
Remember who is 1- 0 vs who in tourneys.

You will learn my apprentice.

OverLade

Smash Hero
It seems someone needs humbled.
Remember who is 1- 0 vs who in tourneys.

You will learn my apprentice.
January 2009 at my second tournament says wassup bruh.

It seems that you forget that I'm jesus and that you lost to Mero afterwards ;)

Edit:
Hows Aglow doing btw I heard you guys played yesterday?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom