• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

SMASHPOCALYPSE:: SPOC IX in February? Link to SPOC VIII results in OP

xyt

Smash Lord
I didn't say he needs Mute City btw, I said it helped him a lot and used it to his advantage.
uh... you kinda did... look below...

Did you notice NO ONE BANNED Mute City vs Armada? Just for that sole reason that I think he managed to get extremely high in the brackets because I've seen him use that stage many times. If everyone banned that stage vs him, it would definitely be different results.
you basically said that he would not have gotten 2nd if he did not have mute city (or if ppl banned it).

and all i'm saying with my previous post is this: IF armada can beat M2K's MARTH with PEACH on FREAKING FD (which i'm sure most would agree is an absurdly lop-sided match up(not to mention M2K has the best Marth in the world)), then i'm pretty sure armada is "skilled" enough (relative term. yes i know) to have gotten his placement at genesis WITH OR WITHOUT Mute City.

In otherwords i am implying i think that any player that Armada beat on Mute City he could have beaten on a different stage.

I am also implying that the results would NOT have been different SOLELY based on whether or not ppl banned mute city against him (which is what you were hinting at).

Plairnkk

Smash Legend
I love the rules.

**** counterpick stages. People whining so much about them being banned is just proving they need them to win. And if you need a stage to win, it's probably not fair.

Divinokage

Smash Legend
uh... you kinda did... look below...

you basically said that he would not have gotten 2nd if he did not have mute city (or if ppl banned it).

and all i'm saying with my previous post is this: IF armada can beat M2K's MARTH with PEACH on FREAKING FD (which i'm sure most would agree is an absurdly lop-sided match up(not to mention M2K has the best Marth in the world)), then i'm pretty sure armada is "skilled" enough (relative term. yes i know) to have gotten his placement at genesis WITH OR WITHOUT Mute City.

In otherwords i am implying i think that any player that Armada beat on Mute City he could have beaten on a different stage.

I am also implying that the results would NOT have been different SOLELY based on whether or not ppl banned mute city against him (which is what you were hinting at).
Probably, but it still would have helped if people banned the stage lol.

Edit: I refuse to acknowledge other players other than US players. =P Don't ask me why, it's just a gut feeling I have. Or maybe it's the attachment I have to them because each player I played against helped me improve my game and I am grateful to them.

I love the rules.

**** counterpick stages. People whining so much about them being banned is just proving they need them to win. And if you need a stage to win, it's probably not fair.
Really? Do I need to refer to you some matches I played against you? =P

Tope

BRoomer
BRoomer
I like counterpicking stages for the variety, plus its fun not to play sheik all the time.

If I get floats i go fox, if I get mute i go peach, eazy peazy

ranmaru

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-0654 7794 0698
Sadly I have that syndrome where I only play one character good, and the rest I play exactly like if they were that one character. Maybe its just I don't have that much experience with the other charcaters, tournament wise I mean. Also I mostly use that character, I rarely change, unless its for fun and I feel comfortable to change. I try bringing out others but agaisnt someone good they totally suck, but my one character still does kinda good vs them.

So if I counterpicked I'd use the same character. Its doctor mario lol. Its one of those kind of syndromes... where you have it, but you don't know how it keeps happening and don't know how to cure it. Like my skin condition. Had it all my life, but I am always itchy and put all these freekin creams and nothing works. Its super dry now. :[[[[[

Rain(ame)

Smash Champion
cp stages can be..fun? O_o I mean...scar ***** me on Japes 'cuz I had a good feeling about Japes. *shrugs* I actually can't stand the cp stages....except Corneria...that stage is too fun.

I dunno...I personally feel that there's no real reason to ban cp stages, except Green Greens...that stage is effing gay as all freak. Last time I played on that stage in tourney I won...but it was cp'ed against me....GOD I hate that stage....with a passion.

*shrugs* I guess we'll see how it works.

crismas

Smash Master
NNID
crismaspresents
So...yeah I think I'm most likely coming to this. FINALLY! I've never been to a SPOC :(

Plairnkk

Smash Legend
Probably, but it still would have helped if people banned the stage lol.

Edit: I refuse to acknowledge other players other than US players. =P Don't ask me why, it's just a gut feeling I have. Or maybe it's the attachment I have to them because each player I played against helped me improve my game and I am grateful to them.

Really? Do I need to refer to you some matches I played against you? =P
i only remember cping you to neutrals and you taking me to brinstar, kongo jungle, etc, lol XD

pockyD

Smash Legend
i can't believe i missed out on this "debate" (which is probably 2-3 people trying to debate and 20 people throwing "facts" around and then making a massive leap of "logic")

all i really have to say for now is that there's nothing implicitly "neutral" about neutrals except that we already regard them as such

Teczer0

Research Assistant
Premium
BRoomer
Hey Scar I actually have a question.

In the stage strike ruleset, say I won game one and I strike like KJ 64 or something.

When do I get to change my character if I feel like doing so?

I'm assuming its after the stage has been declared but I just feel like making sure.

ChRed2AKrisp

Smash Master
so the first person to strike a stage is determined by port priority...what determines who gets controller slot one? coin flip? In which case you might as well just make it a coin flip for who strikes the first stage.

Scar

#HarveyDent
so the first person to strike a stage is determined by port priority...what determines who gets controller slot one? coin flip? In which case you might as well just make it a coin flip for who strikes the first stage.
if you want last ban plug into slot 4

if you want port priority plug into slot 1

whoever sits at the TV first gets that choice

Plairnkk

Smash Legend
Whos driving up here? id rather not take a bus, but will pay someone like $30 in gas money just for me.

Scar

#HarveyDent
yeah thats the point lol i call your match you get to the ****ING TV BEFORE I KICK YOUR ***

and no it's actually MORE port priority = FIRST ban; LESS port priority = SECOND ban

second ban is better because that person chooses which stage is played on (out of 2)

Scar

#HarveyDent
correct pocky, i was correcting myself and i didn't feel like using the edit function for previous posts

port 1 has first ban

pockyD

Smash Legend
i've thought about switching the stage ban order to make it more "fair"

maybe something like 1-2-2-1 instead of 1-1-1-1-1-1

frankly, too complicated for smashers to handle, though. still gotta deal with people who don't understand plain ol stage striking right now

Scar

#HarveyDent
i like 1-2-2-1-2-1, or maybe like 1-2-1-2-2-1... but im not sure, i think balancing it with port priority is best just because there's 6 bans and it's just awkward and confusing and more/less inconsequential i think

strategy in banning is going to be interesting though like dont waste your ban on kj64 if you know the other player doesn't like it either... idk it's almost like chicken, who will swerve first

what about 1-2-2-1-1-2

pockyD

Smash Legend
i meant first 1 stage is banned, then 2 stages, then 2 stages, then 1

so i was confused by your notation, wondering why there were 10 stages :laugh:

but yeah 1-2-2-1-1-2 is what i meant and what i like in theory with absolutely zero playtesting behind it

Scar

#HarveyDent
pocky fly out for this

also i need to get on IMing people to make sure they're coming to this, everyone do me a favor and help spread the word to people who might not know the date / location

Alukard

Smash Hero
is this date the for sure thing ??

cuz i was maddd confused a couple pages back or sumthing

CT Chia

Smash Obsessed
i should have a couple TVs btw for this scar, my biweeklies the next day so I'm gonna find a way to bring up the TVs for the weekend since I don't live on campus yet. Is there anyway I can get the tv scarmada for my tourney the next day? (you could drop em off at the venue the night before after spoc is over or somethin).

Top Bottom