• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

SMASHPOCALYPSE:: SPOC IX in February? Link to SPOC VIII results in OP

JFox

Smash Hero
I think it's interesting that we are the only place left in the world that still uses CP stages. These rules were taken directly from a tournament that is expected to be the size and caliber of genesis which will be taking place in Paris. http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=111223

European Ruleset

Singles :

- No items.
- 4 stocks.
- Stages allowed : Final Destination, Dreamland 64, Pokemon Stadium, Yoshi Story, Fountain of Dreams and Battefield. No other stage is allowed.
- Pools will be best of 3.
- There will be 2 rounds of Pools.
- Results of pools will determine who goes into brackets, and who you fight.
- Double Elimination Bracket will be best of 3 for the beginning of the bracket.
- The rest of the bracket will be best of 5.
- Finals will be best of 7.
- Double blind pick is possible for the first match of a set.
- The stage for the first match of a set will be random between Final Destination, Dreamland 64 and Pokemon Stadium.
- After the first match, loser picks the stage, then winner picks character, then loser picks character.
- A player cannot chose the last stage he won on.
- Stalling is completely forbidden.
- Wobbling is completely forbidden.

Doubles :

- No items.
- 4 stocks.
- Stages allowed : Final Destination, Dreamland 64, Pokemon Stadium, Yoshi Story and Battlefield. No other stage is allowed.
- Double Elimination Bracket will be best of 3 for the beginning of the bracket.
- The rest of the bracket will be best of 5.
- The stage for the first match of a set will be random between Final Destination, Dreamland 64 and Pokemon Stadium.
- After the first match, losers pick the stage, then winners pick characters, then losers pick characters.
- Life stealing is allowed.
- A team canoot chose the last stage they won on.
- Team attack is ON.
- Wobbling is completely forbidden.

pockyD

Smash Legend
you're making it sound more ridiculous than it actually is

"we" in this case (north america I'm guessing?) is probably like 3/4th of the smash population, so "only place" is misleading

also, according to that ruleset, "wobbling is completely forbidden" in doubles; makes me think they didn't put a ton of thought into the rules anyway

JFox

Smash Hero
The number on the right shows the number of people that express interest in attending the tournament, and the number on the left are the people who have already confirmed and pre-payed.

France (110/236)
Austria (4/5)
Iceland (0/2)
Switzerland (6/10)
Belgium (1/5)
Italy (4/5)
Spain (23/36)
Chile (0/1)
The Netherlands (20/25)
Germany (10/15)
United Kingdom (5/21)
Norway (8/9)
Sweden (14/17)
Japan (3/5)
Finland (1/2)
United States of America (0/3)

Some of those countries look pathetic in number, but those are only the people that have expressed interest in coming. The US has only 3 players that have expressed interest in going, and we have tons of players. Not to mention all of the players that aren't on this list. Players from south america, central, canada, mexico, etc.

US def doesnt make up 3/4 of the entire melee population. Maybe it feels that way considering we are on an american message board, but my impression is that we arent nearly as 3/4 of all the competitive melee players. Look at those numbers from france! Dont u think if captain jack is traveling to Paris that Japan still has a pretty decent melee scene? He's been playing with someone...

Eggm

Smash Hero
Those rules *****. Seemed like a **** tournament too. I'd take my chances at a big European tournament sometime in the future.

Slhoka

Smash Lord
Uh ? I didn't read the last pages, but Jfox, why are you saying this tournament is gonna happen ? It took place 1 year and a half ago.

231 players attended it :
Austria : 5
Belgium : 4
Ecuador : 1
Finland : 1
France : a lot
Germany : ≈11
Italy : 4
Japan : 3
Norway : ≈5
Netherlands : ≈20
Spain : ≈25
Switzerland : ≈5
Sweden : ≈15
UK : ≈15
USA : 0

Amsah won. CJ got 2nd, Armada 3rd, and Masashi 4th.

Also Eggm, the tournament wasn't **** as it was both one of the best and the worst ever held in Europe. It was awesome because of the overall level, because of all those people coming from every smash area (except North America). But it also sucked for many reason, especially the TVs as we were screwed at the last minute by the ones who rented us the TVs, and about half of the 70 TVs we had were more or less laggy.

For those who wanna come to Europe, France is gonna have ESA4 (=Melee only) near Paris around April. As for this summer, the Netherlands are really likely to hold a Brawl and Melee tournament expected to be Genesis-sized. And in France, we will most likely have TSL5 in August near Lyon (TSL4 had about 110 entrants from all Europe for Melee, and about 100 fro Brawl).

Edit : Oh and I forgot my original point : this ruleset is the previous French one. Not everyone in Europe agrees on that. Spain has a similar ruleset as we do. The Netherlands sometimes add a few stages (RR or BR for instance), and Germany, Sweden and Norway use about as many stages as the US.

Top Bottom