• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A Smashboards Questions Thread. Ask site-related questions here. (Staff answers preferred)

Nysyarc

Last King of Hollywood
NNID
Nysyarc
3DS FC
1075-0983-2504
This may have been brought up already but I don't feel like sifting through 100+ pages of posts to find out... I think you can understand that.

I have a few suggestions for the general posting ranks. From what I've gathered, you start as a Smash Noob, then become a Smash Child at 10 posts, then a Smash Journeyman at 100 posts (maybe?), then a Smash Apprentice... not sure when, and then a Smash Lord I believe? Maybe there are some in between I missed.

I don't like the idea of using the terms 'Noob' and 'Child' in a forum title, especially when it is not the poster's choice in the matter. Creative posting titles don't have to be derogatory (it's obviously not intended to be insulting, but people don't like to be labeled as noobs or children, I'm 22 years old and have been playing SSB for years, I don't like to think of myself as a Smash Child).

I also understand that the titles are pertaining to the person's rank on the forum, and not their skill in SSB, but with the pre-title Smash involved, it's easy to be confused. I also have to disagree with the rank Journeyman preceding the rank Apprentice (an apprentice studies to become a journeyman), and at the fact that posters are labeled as Apprentices for a long time, unless they are fervent contributers.

I think having more ranks would make things more interesting (like a new rank every 50 posts), and maybe keeping the ranks in the same context (a Child, to a Journeyman, and eventually to a Lord... not really in the same league theme-wise). Administrators and Moderators are exempt from posting ranks, but for the rest of us, I think maybe a poll is in order to decide if ranks should be changed, added, or both.

If pressed I could come up with several ideas for new posting rank names myself, and I know that editing posting ranks is quite simple, as I have administrated forums before. Let me know what you think, and let me know if you want me to clarify or embellish any of my arguments.

KAOSTAR

the Ascended One
I mean of course your idea is invalid and null because you are only a smash child.

While its a good idea, and Id support it with some tweaking, realize that:

Its not actually an issue. Like u said, ur 22. Get over it. Your age is displayed on your profile and ppl actually read what you post and dont look at post count. Just post more and you wont be a smash child.

Dont think of yourself as a child but only as a less active member on the forums in terms of posting, who is also 22.

Nysyarc

Last King of Hollywood
NNID
Nysyarc
3DS FC
1075-0983-2504
Edit: I apologize KOASTAR, I was mislead by this guideline:

In order to avoid confusion, only forum leaders should answer questions.
I didn't realize that Smash Director was the title given to members of the Tournament Director group. In fact I only found out about group titles earlier today, so I wasn't sure what to make of your response to my suggestion.

Anyways, thank you Queen Killjoy for considering my suggestion, I look forward to hearing the outcome :)

Azua

Scourge Cheerleader
Premium
BRoomer
This may have been brought up already but I don't feel like sifting through 100+ pages of posts to find out... I think you can understand that.

I have a few suggestions for the general posting ranks. From what I've gathered, you start as a Smash Noob, then become a Smash Child at 10 posts, then a Smash Journeyman at 100 posts (maybe?), then a Smash Apprentice... not sure when, and then a Smash Lord I believe? Maybe there are some in between I missed.

I don't like the idea of using the terms 'Noob' and 'Child' in a forum title, especially when it is not the poster's choice in the matter. Creative posting titles don't have to be derogatory (it's obviously not intended to be insulting, but people don't like to be labeled as noobs or children, I'm 22 years old and have been playing SSB for years, I don't like to think of myself as a Smash Child).

I also understand that the titles are pertaining to the person's rank on the forum, and not their skill in SSB, but with the pre-title Smash involved, it's easy to be confused. I also have to disagree with the rank Journeyman preceding the rank Apprentice (an apprentice studies to become a journeyman), and at the fact that posters are labeled as Apprentices for a long time, unless they are fervent contributers.

I think having more ranks would make things more interesting (like a new rank every 50 posts), and maybe keeping the ranks in the same context (a Child, to a Journeyman, and eventually to a Lord... not really in the same league theme-wise). Administrators and Moderators are exempt from posting ranks, but for the rest of us, I think maybe a poll is in order to decide if ranks should be changed, added, or both.

If pressed I could come up with several ideas for new posting rank names myself, and I know that editing posting ranks is quite simple, as I have administrated forums before. Let me know what you think, and let me know if you want me to clarify or embellish any of my arguments.

I totally agree with this. I'll bring it up in our super secret rooms.

Azua

Scourge Cheerleader
Premium
BRoomer
No, we just take them off the main page so people can't find them.
However, if you somehow manage to post in an old, inactive forum [since we've said it about 20 times now] you will be infracted heavily.

flaco

The Terminator
No, we just take them off the main page so people can't find them.
However, if you somehow manage to post in an old, inactive forum [since we've said it about 20 times now] you will be infracted heavily.
OK SO IS NOT DELETED BUT IS Stays THERE TO BE ABLE TO BE READ NOT replied CORRECT

sorry for caps

Azua

Scourge Cheerleader
Premium
BRoomer

*explodes*
anyway,

I guess you can read them if you want to, but they're all outdated and basically useless.

But yeah, don't post in them. Same reason you shouldn't touch artifacts in a museum.

Bowser King

Have It Your Way
Shouldn't ColinJF be like, the moderator for the Pokecenter? Considering he's the creater of shoddy battle and everything. I donno, I always found it kinda weird.
Colin doesn't play pokemon (he doesn't even use shoddy IIRC). He just works on shoddy battle and upgrades for it.

-:bowser:Bowser King

Azua

Scourge Cheerleader
Premium
BRoomer
Except artifacts are actually worth something.

Question: How often do you appoint new BRoomers?
Obviously we're worth something or MLG wouldn't have bought us.

As for your question, I'd like to know the answer to that myself. For now though, it's "Once in a blue moon."

KAOSTAR

the Ascended One
On the subject of broomer'S? is there anything still in discussion melee related? like anything important or is it just more of a hang out now for ppl who posts

good

Also I had a sig and I followed the sig guidlines but I feel its not long enough. How much of a problem is it if I make it a little longer. but not long enough to stretch out a page obviously

Azua

Scourge Cheerleader
Premium
BRoomer
We're talking about regular BRoomers, not Smash BRoomers. Honestly I'm not sure what's going on with the Melee SBR, you would probably be better off asking someone like JV. AFAIK, Kish retired.

Signatures should be no larger than as the guidelines say.

KAOSTAR

the Ascended One
I thought that the BRoomers with the green tag were for melee while the purple tag of smashBRoomers were associated with brawl?

And thanks ill check with one of those guys.

Azua

Scourge Cheerleader
Premium
BRoomer
No...SBR members are purple.

The "Grimer" BRoomers are green, although that doesn't make sense.

¤Vivi Orunitia¤

Smash Apprentice
Has anyone ever thought of adding a Digimon Board to SWF? Digimon has as many fans as Pokemon does and like Pokemon it involves strategic thinking.

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
Now I feel like playing Digimon World...

*Ahem.*

Can admins get access to peoples' accounts?

Can admins check PMs/retrieve deleted ones?

Azua

Scourge Cheerleader
Premium
BRoomer
Admins can change basically anything about a user's account. Please do not ask us to change anything unless it is preventing you from posting.

I don't think you can retrieve deleted ones, but only JV has access to actually get so far as to read someone else's PM, AFAIK.

victra♥

crystal skies
Slippi.gg
victra#0
Whoa, when did the "Currently Active Users" thing start showing up again in the various forums and sub-forums? I don't remember seeing those for years. O.o

victra♥

crystal skies
Slippi.gg
victra#0
Oh really? What brought about the change?

Why was it removed in the first place?

Should I be bolding my questions?

Xsyven

And how!
BRoomer
Yes, you should be bolding your questions. :p

The "Currently Active Users" thingy was removed because it wasn't helping during the "Crashboards" phase. Apparently, it was slowing down the servers, and disabling the feature sped the servers up a bit. Now that MLG is running SWF on stable servers, we're able to enable more features, like everyone having their own custom avatar, and whatnot. This was randomly remembered and re-enabled, as Azua said, yesterday.

victra♥

crystal skies
Slippi.gg
victra#0
I think gifs in sigs are fine enough. If you've visited other forums, all the different sizes of avatars coupled with it moving, is just too much.

KAOSTAR

the Ascended One
As far as the moving avatars I think that SWF has done a nice job organizing **** and I think at least the revolution skin is really easy to read and navigate and moving avatars wouldnt be bothersome, but possibly coupled with moving sigs can be a distraction.

What if our profile picture had enabled animation that way its not cluttering and its sort of a compramise?

Also is there a way to get a custom title w custom title color[like heartz] atm. or is that something speculated for premium memberships?
Didnt see that you answered it right before jungle fever "got modkilled:mad:"

How do you color of your font automatically? so like when u post ur font is always blue?

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
We all the updtaes and swf in a good server ran by mlg
What?

Is there anyway for me to switch my forum skin thing, or is the one I have permanent (I don't know if I'm supposed to be secretive about it or not :ohwell:). I kind of miss my old one.
PM Kirby King.

How do you color of your font automatically? so like when u post ur font is always blue?
People are just manually using the colour/font change items when posting, for every post. There isn't any automatic option.

As for your other 2 questions, I don't know, so I'll let Azua get those.

Proverbs

Smash Lord
Does anyone know why in the list of active users, SKy Angel has a + at the end of it? His name is 'SKy Angel' but there's a + sign before the comma...This is also at the bottom of forums that show who's in there, too.

victra♥

crystal skies
Slippi.gg
victra#0
Are you sure? There are some people I've never heard of and they have the "+" sign:ohwell:
Yeah, you're friends all have the "+" sign. Obviously, there are users on the board who have usernames that already include a "+" at the end, so if you were to add the as a friend, they'd be "username++" for example.

O:

Xivii

caterpillar feet
NNID
HBC
When I'm on my normal computer I cannot see the bar at the top of a users profile where it says "Contact Info, Friends, etc." It only shows when I am on certain computers. Why is that?

Xsyven

And how!
BRoomer
Are you sure? There are some people I've never heard of and they have the "+" sign:ohwell:
I'm stumped. Maybe you added 'em and forgot who they were? All my friends have +'s though.

When I'm on my normal computer I cannot see the bar at the top of a users profile where it says "Contact Info, Friends, etc." It only shows when I am on certain computers. Why is that?
Are you using different browsers?

victra♥

crystal skies
Slippi.gg
victra#0
That usually only happens if your using internet explorer. What browser do you currently have?

Why is it that you can't see that bar with internet explorer?

Top Bottom