• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smashboards Mini-Recreates: The SSB Series Rosters

BritishGuy54

Smash Ace
Job 53: Charizard
IMG_6477.png

Being honest, Charizard would probably have one of the largest followings in this alternate timeline, and likely be one of the leading names on the Smash Ballot if it still exists.

I could see us going for a legacy ‘mon now with Charizard, and possibly revisiting Pokémon later for DLC?

LoZ00

Smash Journeyman
OK! So I haven't been able to contribute at all to this thread for a very long time due to final exams & a small vacation I took, but now I'm back and I'll try to hop in and out as I can. I sadly was unable to submit Bayonetta at all, as she would be my most wanted in this timeline and definitely was my most wanted character during the Smash for DLC speculation era, but I can at least add something for this prompt. And the character I'm proposing is...

tapu_koko.png
TAPU KOKO!
Whilst I can agree that Charizard would probably be the most demanded Pokemon in this timeline, I can't see Nintendo and Game Freak simply ignoring Generation 7 while adding a new Pokemon in Ultimate. The few ideas I had in mind were Decidueye, Incineroar (both of which were already submitted), Lycanroc, Bewear, and Tapu Koko. In the end, it was a toss-up between the latter two but I decided to go with Koko as:
1.) It plays a somewhat larger role in the game's plot than most other Pokemon
2.) I genuinely like the design of the Pokemon, it feels like a hero but not it's not too humanoid
3.) I think that a lightning-fast fighter with a moveset revolving around setting Electric Terrain on the battlefield to further increase its power could genuinely be fun
4.) It adds a rare Legendary Pokemon to the roster and it could easily be a rival to Mewtwo
5.) It was somewhat heavily marketed before the game came out, definitely more than the other four Pokemon I took into consideration (maybe with the exception of Lycanroc, but it was mostly Rockruff)

Louie G.

Smash Hero
Job 53: Nihilego
1722913671740.png

The Ultra Beasts were a big deal for Gen 7, and I think we ought to nominate at least one. Buzzwole is maybe the obvious choice, but at that point I wouldn't mind simply bringing back Incineroar. Instead I'm nominating Nihilego, a hypothetical fighter with a particularly strange body structure and slow, deliberate way of moving. I think Pokemon has so many strange abstract designs that are unfortunately never really in the proper spotlight to be considered for Smash over more traditional looking characters. This one, on the other hand, is extremely relevant to the story and related to its main antagonist.

Nihilego would be able to inflict status effects onto fighters, like poison, and perhaps latch onto opponents like a Metroid and... influence their movement? Suck out some life energy? Shock them? And of course its extended tentacles would make for interesting attacks akin to Mars People from CvS, or Shuma Gorath from MvC. There's a lot of really compelling stuff we can do here that we haven't seen from any other fighter before. To be honest, I'd have loved to nominate Nihilego paired up with Lusamine, but that form is tragically misused and doesn't actually do anything. It's fine on its own.

Last edited:

Pupp135

Smash Champion
From the votes, Sora is Challenger Pass 11.
Microsoft fighters are allowed base game, so Banjo & Kazooie join the base roster.

Here are the nominations:

Pupp135 Pupp135 Mew
BritishGuy54 BritishGuy54 Charizard
D darkvortex Decidueye
Masked Borb Masked Borb Incinoroar
LoZ00 LoZ00 Tapu Koko
DragonRobotKing26 DragonRobotKing26 Mimikyu
Northsouthmap Northsouthmap Bewear
Louie G. Louie G. Nihilego

Vote for your three most wanted, where yours is not first.

1. Charizard
2. Mew
3. Incinoroar

I mostly voted Charizard for its popularity, and I voted Incinoroar as it fills a nice archetype with a wrestler character.

Job 54: Submit an Echo Fighter, and Specify the Parent

Chrom SSBU.png
I’ll nominate Chrom as a Marth echo as I assume that he would be requested, and he’s Marth’s descendant.
Future Jobs:
Submit a Newcomer (2 added or 2 separate jobs),
Submit an Echo Fighter (2 or 3)

Last edited:

TheLastMaverickHunter

Smash Journeyman
Nihilego
Charizard
Tapu Koko

For job #54, I'll submit Hilda as a Zelda echo. We only have four Zelda characters right now and I think it would be a nice bit of fan service.

nirvanafan

Smash Champion
Premium
1 Nihilego
2 Bewear
3 Charizard

Octoling as an Inkling echo (matches up pretty good with Octo Expansion in 2)

Last edited:

Louie G.

Smash Hero
1. Mimikyu
2. Nihilego
3. Incineroar

Honestly, I'm just kinda sold on doing a weird, "creepy" Pokemon. Mimikyu struck me as an especially compelling pick back before we knew who it was going to be, because I got so excited thinking about how it would move and what kind of strange attacks it would deliver. There is really nothing else like it and I always felt that some kind of ghost type Pokemon would be a lot of fun in Smash.

Nihilego is a pick that I like for a similar reason. I don't think we're taking enough advantage of how strange Pokemon gets. While Nihilego isn't a ghost, it pretty much moves around like one, and being able to cling on to you adds to that uneasy element to it. Contemplating how a jellyfish might fight in Smash is just super fun, I dunno. I hope we will be willing to get weird with this slot. Incineroar is fantastic and I love him in Ultimate. So he'll get a nod here because I wouldn't mind him back at all, but I do think we have the opportunity to do something different for the fun of it.

I'm not voting Charizard because I'd like to see the series move forward. Representing Gen 7 is a must. It's kind of unrealistic to believe that TPC would even allow them to ignore it, and Charizard to my knowledge is not exactly at the forefront of this generation either. Our best bet bringing him in is, IMO, as some kind of bonus fighter instead of the "main" new Pokemon in Ultimate. And Decidueye is just boring guys, idk. He's cool in a vacuum but we already have a few silent, mysterious humanoid Pokemon and at that point I'd rather just bring back the hammy in your face wrestler.

Bewear and Tapu Koko are cool. I just only have three votes.

Job 54: Galacta Knight (Echo of Meta Knight)
1723094977314.png

After his debut in Kirby Super Star Ultra, Galacta Knight has reappeared in Return to Dream Land, Planet Robobot and Star Allies. So notably, similarly to the recently added Bandana Dee, Galacta is a recurring Kirby character. Which is something of a rarity in this series of largely rotating antagonists.

What we can do with Galacta Knight largely rests on how far the echo fighter label extends. With essentially the same exact body type and comparable wing animations, he’s easily built on top of MK. He's got a faithful costume in our version of Ultimate, after all. Notably though, his lance may extend a bit longer and he may bash with a shield for an attack or two. I'd put him in a similar category as Ken is to Ryu, someone who has their own unique advantages but is clearly built off the same mold. Up to you guys if that's a fair thing to do for this game and for this character or not.

Last edited:

LoZ00

Smash Journeyman
1. Mimikyu: I COMPLETELY FORGOT ABOUT IT! Mimikyu makes the most sense to be added in Smash, considering how popular it is. I also really like the spooky vibes that it brings. Overall, a fantastic choice and I'd be a bit upset if it does not get picked.
2. Tapu Koko: self vote but I sincerely believe Tapu Koko would be interesting to play as in Smash. A rushdown fighter with powerful attacks that get boosted if he stands on a terrain condition that it creates is, in my opinion, a cool addition.
3. Bewear: it was the Pokemon I was so close to put forward as my answer to the prompt and for good reasons. I think that Bewear could be a good grappler, likely leaning into the archetype even more than DK (the only grappler Smash has). Nevertheless, I also find its design to be very fun and a good mixture of cute and powerful, so it gets my third vote.

Shoutout to Nihilego for being a fantastic idea too! Damnit, Gen VII really introduced some very cool Pokemon, did it not?

Pupp135

Smash Champion
Here are the votes

Mew 2
Charizard 10
Decidueye 8
Incinoroar 13
Tapu Koko 3
Mimikyu 16
Bewear 4
Nihilego 10

Mimikyu is our next newcomer.

Here are the echo nominations:
Pupp135 Pupp135 Chrom
TheLastMaverickHunter TheLastMaverickHunter Hilda
BritishGuy54 BritishGuy54 Alvis
D darkvortex Shadow
nirvanafan nirvanafan Octoling
Masked Borb Masked Borb Dark Pit
Louie G. Louie G. Galactica Knight
Northsouthmap Northsouthmap Ken

Vote for your three most wanted, where yours is not first.

1. Hilda
2. Chrom
3. Ken

Hilda would be an interesting foil to Zelda given that Ultimate’s Zelda uses the Link to the Past design, and we don’t have a girl newcomer yet. Ken feels like an appropriate choice for a third party echo.

Future Jobs:
Submit a Newcomer (2 added or 2 separate jobs),
Submit an Echo Fighter (2 or 3)

Last edited:

Louie G.

Smash Hero
1. Octoling - Up to you guys, but since Octo Expansion was cutting it really close I think the default for this should be the Enemy Octoling. Just a small side note, otherwise this is a pretty easy choice.
2. Galacta Knight - I dunno, I thought it would be pretty cool.
3. Ken - My support is slightly conditional on the front that we might have an opening to add Chun-Li later, and it may feel like we're putting too much into Street Fighter that way. But he's still a pretty obvious choice here and I think he was a good addition in Ultimate.

Masked Borb nominated Dark Pit!

Pupp135

Smash Champion
Here are the votes
Chrom 3
Hilda 7
Alvis 2
Shadow 10
Octoling 10
Dark Pit 2
Galactica Knight 7
Ken 7

Shadow and Octoling are added as the first echoes.

Job 55: Submit a Newcomer (Open Ended)
SSBU spirit Jill.png
While we have more third parties compared to the real timeline, I’ll nominate Jill Valentine as Resident Evil is a prominent franchise, and unique newcomer lineup currently has no women.

Upcoming Jobs
Submit an Echo Fighter (3)
Submit a Newcomer?
Check-In and figure out how we want to approach FPs
Submit a Bonus Fighter

Does anyone have a preference if we split the final unique newcomers into separate jobs, or is it fine to just add both of them with this one?

Last edited:

BritishGuy54

Smash Ace
Job 55: Corrin (Fire Emblem)
IMG_0989.png

Yes. Really. The fact is that with so many fan-favourites in already… what would even be the point of the Ballot?

I think Corrin joining in Ultimate would probably be less egregious than Corrin joining in Smash 4 like in our world.

darkvortex

Smash Champion

Simon Belmont
I think he made the most sense for a base game third party IRL and still does here.

Last edited:

Northsouthmap

Smash Champion

Shovel Knight
The first third party character to get an Amiibo, Shovel Knight would bring some variety to the Smash roster with his shovel and relics from his home game

Pupp135

Smash Champion
Here are the nominations:

Pupp135 Pupp135 Jill Valentine
BritishGuy54 BritishGuy54 Corrin
D darkvortex Simon Belmont
Perkilator Perkilator Azura
TheLastMaverickHunter TheLastMaverickHunter Impa
Masked Borb Masked Borb Waluigi
Northsouthmap Northsouthmap Shovel Knight
nirvanafan nirvanafan Crash Bandicoot

Vote for your three your three most wanted, where yours is not first.

1. Simon
2. Jill
3. Impa

Simon is getting my vote because he was a large request in the SSB community, and Impa is here as she is a recurring character, and the gender distribution has been more boy heavy for this alternate roster.

Top Bottom