• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smashboards Mini-Recreates: The SSB Series Rosters

Pupp135

Smash Champion
Here are the votes:
Donkey Kong Jr.
Celica 2
Black Shadow 4
Mewtwo 22
Pichu
Dark Samus 6
Mudkip 3
Grovyle
Blaziken 13
Snake 4

Mewtwo is the bonus DLC fighter.

Job 48: Nominate a Semi-Clone (Veteran or Newcomer)
Artwork of Celica.
I’ll nominate Celica as Marth’s moveset is popular, and she helps bring back a missing veteran.

Job 49: Nominate a Third Party Newcomer
Terry.jpeg
While Ryu is probably going to join, I’ll nominate Terry here as it would be nice to introduce SNK content into this alternate SSB, and KOF was important to SSB’s development.

Last edited:

BritishGuy54

Smash Ace
Job 48: Chrom (Fire Emblem)
IMG_0170.png

Not a bad choice for a semi-clone here, without the baggage of previous real additions like Roy and Lucina. Chrom was a clone of a clone in our world’s Smash, so who knows.

Plus, I think Celica makes more sense to bring back for Ultimate, especially after Fire Emblem Echoes releases after Smash 4.

Job 49: Ryu (Street Fighter)
IMG_0171.png

He’s Ryu. Perfect for DLC. That is all I need to say, as the character speaks for himself.

Last edited:

DragonRobotKing26

Smash Champion
Job 48: Lucas (Earthbound)

1721343239973.png

Lucas will be a DLC character,and he will be the semi-clone of Ness

Job 49: Shovel Knight

1721343578594.png

the biggest icon from appearences on indie games,and the most request character on Smash 4 era

darkvortex

Smash Champion
Dark_Samus.png

Dark Samus
I think she'd make sense to bring back, and would be a pretty easy port job.

skipping 3p. Do think Ryu and Cloud where the right picks

nirvanafan

Smash Champion
Premium
3rd Party - Crash

Around time of Crash & Nintendo Skylanders crossovers. Get a head start on upcoming series revival & get in a jab at PS Allstars.

I like the idea particularly of :ultdarksamus: returning, feels like an odd exclusion from base roster to me, so will not submit echo ideas (other bigs ones taken anyway).

Last edited:

Louie G.

Smash Hero
Job 48: Isabelle (Animal Crossing)

Well, since we can do both veterans and newcomers, I think an interesting alternate scenario would have been getting Isabelle early. She was already quite popular around this time, showed up in Mario Kart, New Leaf had sold over 10 million and she was that game’s headliner. With big plans ahead for the character, including a number of spinoffs coming out around this period, I think it’s as fitting as anything else.

DLC makes more sense for her too. New Leaf’s impact may have been a bit late for the project plan, but could have easily inspired action once the dust had settled and post game content was a conversation.

I assume she’d play roughly the same as in Ultimate.

Job 49: Will nominate :ultcloud: since it doesn’t seem like anyone else is right now. Seems obvious, will echo darkvortex’s sentiment that Ryu and Cloud were just the right choices.

Last edited:

Pupp135

Smash Champion
Here are the nominations
Pupp135 Pupp135 Celica
BritishGuy54 BritishGuy54 Chrom
DragonRobotKing26 DragonRobotKing26 Lucas
D darkvortex Dark Samus
TheLastMaverickHunter TheLastMaverickHunter Black Shadow
Louie G. Louie G. Isabelle
Northsouthmap Northsouthmap Dark Pit

Vote for your three most wanted, where yours is not first.

1. Black Shadow
2. Celica
3. Dark Samus

Black Shadow was in Melee and Brawl, and I assume his moveset would have been popular in a similar vein to Ganondorfs. Dark Samus received a decent number of votes when bringing back base game semi-clones.

Pupp135 Pupp135 Terry
BritishGuy54 BritishGuy54 Ryu
DragonRobotKing26 DragonRobotKing26 Shovel Knight
TheLastMaverickHunter TheLastMaverickHunter Rayman
nirvanafan nirvanafan Crash Bandicoot
Louie G. Louie G. Cloud
Northsouthmap Northsouthmap Bayonetta

1. Cloud
2. Ryu
3. Terry

Ryu and Cloud both provide notable faces for the fighting game and RPG genres respectively, and I prioritized Cloud as I prefer him more.

Last edited:

BritishGuy54

Smash Ace
1. Isabelle
2. Dark Samus
3. Chrom

I don’t vibe with Black Shadow or Celica coming back just yet. Ultimate would feel like a better time to bring many veterans back, and I don’t want Smash 4 to end up hogging all the good ones which leaves less enthusiasm about EIH.

Isabelle and Dark Samus are harmless additions that also work as clones. Dark Pit could also work here too.

Lucas feels too little too late. We should have gotten him in at Brawl if we wanted to, but at this point, it may prove more fruitful to go for Ninten, considering Earthbound Beginnings would be on its way to the west very soon.

1. Terry
2. Ryu
3. Cloud

Ryu and Cloud are easily the right choices to go with here. I personally would have swapped Ryu and Mega Man, but this is fine too. Terry is also a fun choice that leaves the door open for a second SNK character in Ultimate.

Bayonetta too, to be honest, but perhaps some would view a second Sonic character as a priority. Maybe Bayonetta can join in Ultimate. Rayman is also one I think is better suited for Ultimate.

Shovel Knight is fine. But his role as an AT in Ultimate is fine. I don’t want to see us stretch the amount of series represented here too thin.

Louie G.

Smash Hero
1. Dark Samus
2. Isabelle
3. Dark Pit

As much as I'd like to see Black Shadow return to maintain the "tradition" that we've established thus far, I think it makes sense for him to take a backseat. On one hand, he's been in two games already so he feels like a no brainer. On the other, it feels a bit strange to make you pay for a character who has already been in two games. At least Dark Samus was only in Brawl, and may have more room for a glow-up here.

I think Isabelle is the optimal choice, and I'm going to endorse Dark Pit too. Although I can see us adding Dark Pit in Ultimate as an echo fighter. I just love Kid Icarus Uprising and the buzz around the game would have still been present enough to justify him down the line. There are so many weapon types in Uprising that there's enough you could do to make him more unique, but he takes third place because I think he's kind of fine as an echo fighter.

I wouldn't mind the addition of Chrom or Celica, but we do have Lyn who is already a (loose) variation on Marth. I think four Fire Emblem characters is a comfortable amount for a roster of this size, and once Ultimate releases that will be five. And chances are during DLC that will become six, and maybe seven with an echo fighter. So I don't know, I think we're okay.

1. Ryu
2. Cloud
3. Rayman

Ryu and Cloud need no explaining. Rayman gets the nod here because Rayman Legends had recently come out, so the excitement around him was pretty high and Nintendo's interest in the series felt palpable. After all, it was intended to be a Wii U exclusive. And Ubisoft was clearly interested in the collaboration. On the heels of a Mario / Sonic / Mega Man / Pac-Man lineup on base roster, adding one more colorful mascot felt like a no brainer at the time.

I adore Terry but I think he's perfect for Ultimate DLC. Shovel Knight is fine as an AT, and I just don't care that much for Bayonetta.

Louie G.

Smash Hero
I don’t vibe with Black Shadow or Celica coming back just yet. Ultimate would feel like a better time to bring many veterans back, and I don’t want Smash 4 to end up hogging all the good ones which leaves less enthusiasm about EIH.
I want to harp on this point a bit more, just to maybe incentivize people to prioritize new characters over simply going at two veterans. It's looking like Dark Samus will return, so it's mostly in reference to Black Shadow at this point. And yeah, I really like the addition of Black Shadow. I personally nominated him and advocated for his return in Brawl. But I keep thinking about how next game will incentivize EIH, and which characters that will be worth rallying for.

Snake, Blaziken, Black Shadow, Celica... this seems like a pretty strong bunch of characters to sell the concept. Removing a character from that equation makes the selling point a bit shakier, and mind you I believe Sakurai was already aware they'd be doing another game right after wrapping up DLC. So that's particularly why I'm more partial to bringing in another new character, and why I'm less concerned about trying to fill out the veteran lineup right now when we are guaranteed to see them return in a few years time.

Pupp135

Smash Champion
Here are the votes:

Celica 4
Chrom 4
Lucas 2
Dark Samus 15
Black Shadow 11
Isabelle 11
Dark Pit 1

Dark Samus is added, and I have a poll to select between Black Shadow and Isabelle.

Terry 4
Ryu 15
Shovel Knight 4
Rayman 12
Crash Bandicoot 2
Cloud 17
Bayonetta

Cloud and Ryu are DLC newcomers

Job 50: Submit a Newcomer
SSBU spirit King K. Rool.png
None of the things that I’d really want are realistic, so I’ll nominate King K. Rool here as I think we’d be aware of his popularity during the DLC cycle.

Last edited:

nirvanafan

Smash Champion
Premium
Chibi Robo

Feel like the series was getting a little push at the time with Photo Finder, as well in the near future being one the few non-Smash series amiibo & getting another 3DS game (for better or worse) being Zip Lash.
With hindsight probably our last ideal situation to add this character & series with Ziplash out around the dlc if i remember correctly (& KoRobo will be out way too late for Ultimate).

KneeOfJustice99

Smash Champion
the building from smash mouth's astro lounge
Job #50:
Character Name: Tetra
Character Origin: The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker (2002)

Tetra's a solid character to fill the "cross-promotional" role that Corrin occupied, but slightly more popular - arguably cross-promoting the recent Wind Waker HD. She'd also have recently appeared in Hyrule Warriors Legends, and the "toon" artstyle was featured in numerous releases at the time period like Tri Force Heroes, so she's in a good spot there. Simultaneously, she's a pretty well-liked character from her own series, and has the pedigree of having appeared (in one role or another) in various games from the 2000s by this point, so she kind of fills both niches. She'd also be the first new Zelda pick since Brawl.

In terms of moveset, giving her some inspiration from The Wind Waker with a cutlass and pirate-focused moveset seems like a good call, perhaps coupled with some minor inspiration from Hyrule Warriors here and there.

I think she'd be neat, and given we don't have Sheik in this timeline, she doesn't even run into too many thematic similarities. If ever there's a good spot for her to get into the game, it'd be about now.

Louie G.

Smash Hero
Hey Pupp135 Pupp135 before I make a nomination this round, how are we handling the "promo" pick? I recall the initial prompt being a character from a 2015 game, is that still what we're gonna roll with? I had someone in mind from 2014 so I'm just teetering on whether or not to toss them in the ring this round or if I can do it next. If we're even still doing that one at all.

Last edited:

Pupp135

Smash Champion
Hey Pupp135 Pupp135 before I make a nomination this round, how are we handling the "promo" pick? I recall the initial prompt being a character from a 2015 game, is that still what we're gonna roll with? I had someone in mind from 2014 so I'm just teetering on whether or not to toss them in the ring this round or if I can do it next. If we're even still doing that one at all.
It would be 2015 specifically as it would be someone from a recently released game or an upcoming game.

Louie G.

Smash Hero
It would be 2015 specifically as it would be someone from a recently released game or an upcoming game.
Olay so with that in mind, I suppose I’ll nominate them now instead.

Job 50: Captain Toad (and Toadette)

With a recent showcase game under his belt released around the same time as Smash, as well as notable appearances in Galaxy and 3D World, this may be Toad’s best opportunity for entry. The “Captain” moniker gives him a hook that may sell him as a more compelling version of the character to explore, and Toad himself is sure to be seen as well overdue at this point. With this addition the Mario cast feels like it would be very comfortably rounded out.

I believe the “no jumping” hurdle can be easily worked around by simply giving him slow, low jumps. Perhaps this can be improved by a mechanic where Captain Toad will progressively empty out his backpack, making him lighter and faster in return. Or can simply drop the thing and pick it back up as he pleases, to gain back some extra punch and hefty defense.

Last edited:

Pupp135

Smash Champion
I’m sorry for the delay, and here are the nominations:

Pupp135 Pupp135 King K. Rool
Perkilator Perkilator Zael
nirvanafan nirvanafan Chibi-Robo
BritishGuy54 BritishGuy54 Dr. Eggman
KneeOfJustice99 KneeOfJustice99 Tetra
DragonRobotKing26 DragonRobotKing26 Rayman
TheLastMaverickHunter TheLastMaverickHunter Travis Touchdown
Northsouthmap Northsouthmap Bandana Waddle Dee
Louie G. Louie G. Captain Toad (and Toadette)

1. Rayman
2. King K. Rool
3. Travis

I went with Rayman first here as I feel like Nintendo and Ubisoft have a positive relation, and this inclusion should hopefully strengthen it. Travis is a case of working with other third parties without double dipping from a series yet.

I forgot to note that Isabelle is our next DLC fighter.

Last edited:

Louie G.

Smash Hero
1. Tetra - I feel like Zelda could easily warrant a new character, and Wind Waker is particularly relevant around this point with a new remake. Tetra would provide a fresh pirate themed kit, wielding a cutlass, and I think that would be super cool. I was actually really keen on this idea way back when and I think it would gel really nicely with our own roster. She certainly has a flavor all her own that IMO makes it irrelevant that she is "another Zelda".

2. Captain Toad - A fun option to round out our Mario cast and bring in another "rising" star from a couple contemporary games. I'm a bit less pumped about this one than I am Tetra, but I still think he would be fun and is probably the most compelling angle that can be taken with Toad at this stage when the expectations for originality are a bit higher. Many still consider some form of Toad to be an odd exclusion.

3. Rayman - I kinda want to fit in one more Nintendo character, but if we go for a third party this is a good option. Rayman was hitting it big around this time with the recent release of Legends as well as jiving really nice with the roster decisions made thus far. He's a bit of a smaller scale addition than a lot of the big third parties we've added, but so was Bayonetta. Ubisoft was an early supporter of the Wii U, and even though they lost confidence in that endeavor pretty quickly it seems to have created a healthy, persisting working relationship.

Special Mention: King K. Rool - I could see us inserting K. Rool as sort of our honorary ballot winner, although I also believe K. Rool was a great choice for Smash Ultimate in particular. We added Dixie Kong to the base roster (granted, as a clone) and I might just want to spread out the DK love a bit. But I wouldn't complain, he was among my most wanted (I voted for him) and it'd free up another spot among the Ultimate newcomer lineup which could be pretty interesting.

Last edited:

Northsouthmap

Smash Champion
I’m sorry for the delay, and here are the nominations:

Pupp135 Pupp135 King K. Rool
Perkilator Perkilator Zael
nirvanafan nirvanafan Chibi-Robo
BritishGuy54 BritishGuy54 Dr. Eggman
KneeOfJustice99 KneeOfJustice99 Tetra
DragonRobotKing26 DragonRobotKing26 Rayman
TheLastMaverickHunter TheLastMaverickHunter Travis Touchdown
Louie G. Louie G. Captain Toad (and Toadette)

1. Rayman
2. King K. Rool
3. Travis

I went with Rayman first here as I feel like Nintendo and Ubisoft have a positive relation, and this inclusion should hopefully strengthen it. Travis is a case of working with other third parties without double dipping from a series yet.

I forgot to note that Isabelle is our next DLC fighter.
You forgot my submission again

Top Bottom