• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smashboards Creates: The Simpsons: Springfield Smackdown

Owen23

Smash Apprentice
The Simpsons, one of the best cartoons out there and a smash hit for the Fox network, It's America's most long-running cartoon ever with over 700+ episodes and still counting. With it's funny humor, great episodes, and more, the show will be a classic..

But one thing The Simpsons have aside from the show is merchandising, and that includes video games. So, what if America's Favorite Family had a fighting game? Ladies and Gentleman, I introduce you to..

A Simpsons Platform Fighting Game!
That's right, A platform fighting game with Simpsons characters in it! Sure, The Simpsons has many, many characters, some of them popular, some of them obscure. Our job is to make a platform fighter featuring the cast of the smash-hit TV series. We'll discuss characters, movesets, stages, and more! Of course, I'll be the developer of the game as I will assign tasks to the jobs. We have a few characters so we'll get to work on the two first jobs. I will allow some few third-party characters to join too. Other stuff like DLC and all will be added later soon.

homer.png

Homer Simpson
bart.png

Bart Simpson
flanders.png

Ned Flanders
krusty.png

Krusty The Clown
itchy.png

Itchy

From AlRex AlRex
I feel like for the gameplay, something should be done to represent the tag-team attacks from the beat-em-up. Maybe the game can be very 2v2, like MultiVersus, but with particular super moves with two characters on the same team.

TBD

the_simpsons_house.png

The Simpsons House
kwik_e_mart.png

Kwik-E-Mart
1663787261990.png

The Krusty The Klown Show
1663787328201.png

The Springfield Nuclear Power Plant

1663787179193.png

The Monorail

TBD

TBD

Job #1: Nominate a character for the roster. it can't be the three fighters already mentioned in the roster, It must be a popular character from The Simpsons. Please explain the character, why they need to be in the roster, and how'll they'll fight.

Job #2: Decide the roster size.

Last edited:

nirvanafan

Smash Champion
Premium
Kind of funny this pops up today, was watching stuff about simpson hit & run fanmade remasters earlier today.

1 - Smithers & Mr. Burns

Dont imagine Burns fighting but can picture him in the background while Smithers fights for him kind of like Pokemon Trainer.

2 - 30

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Ned_Flanders.png

Ned Flinders
Homer's least favorite neighbor. He'd fight with attacks themed around religion (though nothing offensive. crosses and basic stuff.), his kindness, and other things such as when he was the Devil.

36. Simpsons has plenty of characters, but I still think we shouldn't go too big with this.

Wario Wario Wario

Smash Legend
Itchy

A rather obvious pick, while his gore would likely be Buzz Soda'd he'd still use brutal weapons - the high power and range of his weapons combined with his small size and speed makes him hard to hit, but should you get ahold of the homicidal little rascal his very poor defense makes him easy to deal wih.

KneeOfJustice99

Smash Champion
the building from smash mouth's astro lounge
Job #1:
Character Name: Apu Nahasapeemapetilon
Character Origin: The Telltale Head (Feburary 25th, 1990)

1663515013853.png

Say what you will about his... questionable characterisation, but Apu is a strong candidate for a game like this. He's a constantly recurring character throughout The Simpsons, originating in the eighth episode all the way back in '90 - and being a playable, story-relevant character back in Hit and Run, as well as appearing in the first series of the LEGO Minifigures Simpsons lines. Not only that, but the Kwik-E-Mart is a pretty iconic location to be represented in a game like this.

In terms of his moveset, I think it'd be fun to represent his role as a shopkeeper with a heavily item-focused playstyle and animations that I'd most closely compare to that of Villager and Isabelle, albeit being used with more purpose rather than "accidentally damaging opponents." It'd be a fun way to represent some of the various fictional products in the Simpsons universe, such as the Squishee drink, plus I think it'd give him a pretty unique vibe compared to nearly any other character in the game. He might feel like a fairly basic pick, but honestly, I think he's a necessary one.

KneeOfJustice99

Smash Champion
1. Ned Flanders. He might not be the most outlandish or bizarre character out there, but he's a very solid character to include. Honestly, the idea of him being literally empowered by religion for his fighting style is a hilarious one to me - but in a great way. Random suggestion - it'd be pretty funny if he could send out his sons as like little mini projectiles a little like the Mechakoopas but they just try and command-grab opponents and bring them back to Flanders to "dole out some righteous punishment" to the enemies.
2. Smithers & Mr. Burns. Honestly, this is a really cool concept - and a pretty fun way to run a puppet fighter archetype with the host being so relatively frail but the puppet being relatively strong. Plus, they're pretty iconic characters, and the idea of Mr. Burns as an arcade-mode villain forcing Smithers to fight the entirety of Springfield for him is just a really funny concept to me.

All of these are really solid though, Itchy came very close to nabbing the #2 spot :)

Owen23

Smash Apprentice
And here's the final results for Job #1!

Ned Flanders: 5
Itchy: 3
Apu: 1
Smithers & Burns: 1

All popular characters from The Simpsons, congrats to @Darkonedagger and Wario Wario Wario Wario Wario Wario ! Ned and Itchy are now a part of the roster!

Now, here's Job #3!

Job #3: Come up with how the moveset design should be dealt in our The Simpsons platform fighter.

Owen23

Smash Apprentice
I think that AlRex AlRex 's idea for the moveset design is great, so congrats to you!

Now, here's Jobs #4 and #5!

Job #4: Submit a stage from the show, it can't be the two stages from the stage list. So think of popular locations from the show!

Job #5: Come up with a title for our Simpsons Platform Fighting Game.

KneeOfJustice99

Smash Champion
Job #4:

Stage Name: The Leftorium
Stage Origin: When Flanders Failed (October 3rd, 1991)

1663629331335.png

I think this would be a pretty fun stage for Ned to call his home. The Leftorium, despite what the modern lens of Reddit would have you believe, is a haven for the left-handed people of Springfield - of which there's actually quite a lot, given Matt Groening himself is actually a leftie. Overall, it's a fairly simple stage, but I think it'd be a really neat callback - plus having shoppers in the store who are, in the series, left-handed such as Wiggum, Lenny, Moe and Bumblebee Guy, would be a pretty interesting thing to see as well. My concept is that there could even be a central platform in the form of the Leftorium Express, which would give a little more depth to the stage in general as opposed to just being flat.

Job #5: How about... Springfield Smackdown?

AlteredBeast

Smash Lord
I saw this thread before, didn't get a chance to do the first round and all but I'll submit every now and then. I'm not the hugest Simpsons fan but this is a franchise worthy of its own fighting game.

Job 4

Springfield Nuclear Power Plant

Elektrownia_Jądrowa_w_Springfield_0.png

The workplace of Homer. The stage can be a competitively viable stage with a Smashville-ish layout due to its importance in the Simpsons lore.

Job 5

Simpsons: Springfield Scuffle

A simple, catchy title.

Torgo the Bear

Smash Lord
NNID
u2outofcontrol
Switch FC
SW-1209-7008-3905
Oh hey cool thread idea, I’m joining in
Stage idea:

Kamp Krusty will be a stage taking place after Bart’s hostile takeover. The area will be in ruins, and children will be running around wildly.

The layout could make this the game’s SmashVille equivalent, as it’s an excellent locale for competitive matches.

Mamboo07

Smash Hero
This concept of a Simpsons fighting game sounds cool.

Job 4: Stage Submit
images (27) (26).jpeg

The Monorail

Episode Origin: Marge vs. the Monorail (Season 4)

This stage will have fighters brawling with each other on top and inside the Monorail itself as it speeds through Springfield on a runaway path.
(Starts at the station and goes normal until it gets out of control)

Also, if you're not playing as Homer or Bart, they'll be in the train itself with Homer wearing conductor clothes like from the episode frantically trying to stop it to no avail.

Said stage would be like the Spirit Train from Smash.

Last edited:

FazDude

Smash Master
Itchy and Scratchy Land

I love the idea of having amusement park stages in platfighters, so I think this would make a great home stage for Itchy. This would take place on platforms slightly above the park's gates, allowing fighters to look inside the park at all sorts of fun (probably unsafe) attractions and the Itchy and Scratchy bots (which are fortunately "docile" rather than serving as stage hazards).

Owen23

Smash Apprentice
Okay, jobs #4 and #5 are closed. So it's time for the votes, pick your favorite 3 stages! (Self voting is allowed too.)

The Leftorium KneeOfJustice99 KneeOfJustice99
Springfield Elementary School Northsouthmap Northsouthmap
Springfield Nuclear Power Planet AlteredBeast AlteredBeast
Kamp Krusty Torgo the Bear Torgo the Bear
The Monorail Mamboo07 Mamboo07
Krusty The Klown Show Wario Wario Wario Wario Wario Wario
Moe's Tavern @Darkonedagger
Cypress Creek nirvanafan nirvanafan
Itchy & Scratchy Land FazDude FazDude

As for Job #5, pick the best name for this Simpsons Platform Fighting game!
Springfield Smackdown KneeOfJustice99 KneeOfJustice99
The Simpsons: Charge & Attack Northsouthmap Northsouthmap
Simpsons: Springfield Scuffle AlteredBeast AlteredBeast
The Simpsons Bonestorm AlRex AlRex

My three picks for stages are:
1. The Monorail
2. Krusty The Klown Show
3. The Leftorium

And my pick for the best name for this Simpsons Platform Fighting game is:
The Simpsons: Springfield Scuffle.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

1. Monorail
2. Krusty the Klown Show
3. Itchy and Scratchy Land

Springfield Smackdown

Last edited by a moderator:

KneeOfJustice99

Smash Champion
Okay, jobs #4 and #5 are closed. So it's time for the votes, pick your favorite 3 stages! (Self voting is allowed too.)

The Leftorium KneeOfJustice99 KneeOfJustice99
Springfield Elementary School Northsouthmap Northsouthmap
Springfield Nuclear Power Planet AlteredBeast AlteredBeast
Kamp Krusty Torgo the Bear Torgo the Bear
The Monorail Mamboo07 Mamboo07
Krusty The Klown Show Wario Wario Wario Wario Wario Wario
Moe's Tavern @Darkonedagger
Cypress Creek nirvanafan nirvanafan
Itchy & Scratchy Land FazDude FazDude

As for Job #5, pick the best name for this Simpsons Platform Fighting game!
Springfield Smackdown KneeOfJustice99 KneeOfJustice99
The Simpsons: Charge & Attack Northsouthmap Northsouthmap
Simpsons: Springfield Scuffle AlteredBeast AlteredBeast
The Simpsons Bonestorm AlRex AlRex

My three picks for stages are:
1. The Monorail
2. Krusty The Klown Show
3. The Leftorium

And my pick for the best name for this Simpsons Platform Fighting game is:
The Simpsons: Springfield Scuffle.
1. The Monorail. It's a great idea to have at least one stage that represents Springfield as a whole and might give us glimpses at iconic locations that might, otherwise, not get repped (like the Lard Lad Donuts sign!), and the Monorail is a really interesting and inspired pick for just that role!
2. Moe's Tavern. It'll be here eventually. Honestly I think this'd be a good opportunity to see a few characters make it in that might not otherwise. Shoutouts to Duffman, amirite?
3. Springfield Nuclear Power Plant. An iconic location which I think could have a lot of potential when it comes to how it might work. Whether it took place outside or inside the power plant, I think it'd be cool to see regardless.

The Simpsons: Springfield Scuffle. Whilst Bonestorm is a very cool name (and a really neat reference), I think that this name perfectly encapsulates what the game is, the stuff taking place, and the vibe - it doesn't feel too violent whilst also indicating fighting, which I think is pretty cool.

Owen23

Smash Apprentice
Voting for jobs #4 and #5 are done! Turns out that The Monorail, The Krusty The Klown Show, and The Springfield Nuclear Power Plant won with a 7 vote tie! Congrats to Mamboo07 Mamboo07 , Wario Wario Wario Wario Wario Wario , and AlteredBeast AlteredBeast !

As for the title, I think it's a five-vote tie for the title to be "Springfield Smackdown" or "Bonestorm", so I'm going with "The Simpsons: Springfield Smackdown", congrats to KneeOfJustice99 KneeOfJustice99 for that title idea!

Now it's time for Job #6!

Job #6: Design a moveset for Homer Simpson!

Wario Wario Wario

Smash Legend
I have Bart and Homer movesets prepared already, but they were designed with a "strong and light special" system in mind so I don't think they'd be viable for use in this thread. (And I also don't like the Homer moveset, though I will likely go back to my Bart moveset and modify it for use here, it's a relatively standard shotoclone moveset - there's a certain proactive paradigm I'd want to save a skateboard moveset for)

Last edited:

FazDude

Smash Master
Homer Moveset
I designed Homer as a grappler.
  • Neutral Special: Why, You Little!
    • Homer rushes forwards with his arms extended. If he makes contact with an opponent, he violently strangles them before throwing them forwards. However, this move does put Homer into freefall if used in midair.
  • Up Special: Homer Copter
    • Homer spins with his arms extended for a lariat attack, being able to move left and right while dealing multiple hits of damage. If used in the air, Homer gains a slight bit of vertical height as he spins, entering freefall once the move concludes. This move stems from a specific episode: "Father Knows Worst".
  • Down Special: Bowling Ball
    • Homer rolls a bowling ball across the floor. While the ball does low damage and no knockback, it does cause opponents to trip over upon contact. The ball can also roll off-stage, making it a potential gimping tool.

Top Bottom