• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smashboards Creates: Pop Culture Clash

Should Godzilla and King Kong be swapped for MechaGodzilla and MechaniKong as bosses?

• Yes

Votes: 8 57.1%
  • No

Votes: 4 28.6%
  • Only Godzilla/MechaGodzilla

Votes: 2 14.3%
  • Only King Kong/MechaniKong

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

AlRex

Smash Lord
Vader’s grab and throws should all probably involve the Force, but should it affect items, or is that too broken/weird to function? My guess for Specials would be the Forward Special is a Lightsaber Boomerang, essentially, which can be angled, Down Special would be the Force Choke, Up Special could be a general Force Leap/Float, but I dunno about Neutral or Shield Specials. Already pretty sure about my Specials, although I might substitute the use of the Death Star with him pulling down a Star Destroyer, since that’s something done in Star Wars before, and the Death Star seems like a natural stage idea.

Butters Stotch

Smash Ace
Yeah you're right, but it could be a meme if he choked Mickey or Kermit.
Even imagine Mario dying in front of Vader. That would be horrendous and hilarious at the same time.
I mean, there have been internet animations/parodies that depict him dying in terrible ways, so I don't think it's too hard to imagine.

AlRex

Smash Lord
Force effects aren’t usually like this, but should they be somewhat visible, for fairness’ sake? A semi-transparent red energy could be used, somewhat similar to his lightsaber. Or a purple energy, to sort of represent “balance”.

If you choked Kermit, wouldn't that just be a handcuff?

If Kermit hit with his head, would that be a punch or headbutt?
It could be Mix of those two.
Since the Puppet layer could be seen as Headbutt, but inside Kermit, there is a hand that punches the opponent inside Kermit, so I'm assuming that it could mix of those two concepts like I said earlier.

AlRex

Smash Lord
I understand this will likely be the unpopular opinion, but I’ve never imagined Kermit fighting directly in a platform fighter.
I always imagined him sitting atop another Muppet, on a pedestal or even on his bike.
I see where you’re coming from. At the same time, a few video games, the Smash mod, and DevilArtemis exist, for better or worse. But I do want to consider some of what you’re saying here.

Dan Quixote

Smash Lord
How do we feel about giving Darth Vader a reflector? That's a pretty famous thing that lightsabers do. Maybe it only works against energy attacks? Always found it weird we have absorb moves in Smash that differentiate between energy and physical projectiles but nothing else.

AlRex

Smash Lord
For Kermit’s more “regular” moves, we have him flailing around, including his famous “YAYYYYYY!!!” for some of his upward attacks, and sometimes even ragdolling into foes. One strong attack on the ground seem to involve Kermit falling down for a light hit, but then a mysterious hand punching upward, (Credit for this idea goes to Wario Wario Wario Wario Wario Wario ), while another involves Kermit rapidly typing on a keyboard that suddenly appears in front of him. (Credit: Yiptap Yiptap ) Kermit's grab also involves the use of his frog tongue, though unlike Yoshi, he does not swallow his foes or put them in eggs. I don't think Kermit has ever done that.

Neutral Special: Paper Airplanes
From the Muppets on Game Boy Color, we have paper airplanes, a quick, fast projectile that can be angled in multiple directions. The only drawback to it seems to be that it’s not the strongest, but Kermit can basically send out multiple at once. You can get a bit ridiculous with it, but these projectiles can also be destroyed by fire or energy, so be careful.

Forward Special: Bicycle Ride (from Tankman from Newgrounds Tankman from Newgrounds )
Kermit suddenly appears on his bicycle and dashes forward a short distance, bumping into his opponent for multiple potential hits as he travels along. You can charge this attack to go even further, faster, and stronger. You can also turn mid-ride, and hit into foes, though it will be a bit awkward to control. You can knock Kermit off the bike, and Kermit will fly backwards, but only your initial hit will do Kermit harm, and the bike will seem to disappear shortly after.

Up Special: The Disco Frog (added on from an idea from Oddball Oddball )
Kermit rapidly rockets upward for a decent length, sort of halfway between Luigi’s Green Missile and Super Jump Punch. This is indicated further by a strange, white, glowing outline around Kermit as he is performing the move. Afterwards, Kermit will fall limp in freefall. This can do damage to foes in Kermit’s path, though it can be tricky as a recovery after the initial big jump. This is pretty much inspired by another ability of his from the Muppets Game Boy Color game, as well as the strange, ghostly Kermit that appears in the Sesame Street musical segment of the same name.

Down Special: Special Report (from Oddball Oddball )
Kermit pulls out a microphone and produces a shockwave in short range, attempting to interview his foes but unfortunately getting caught up in the chaos of an attack instead, much like Kermit's own reporter segments on Sesame Street.

Shield Special: Door in a Jar
From Muppets from Space, this works a bit better than it did before. Kermit throws down goop from this jar and a door appears, which can absorb an oncoming projectile, block an attack, or spike a foe. If Kermit presses Shield Special again, he can open the door, which can smack into foes for a follow-up attack.

Supers
Level 1: Kermonster

From Muppet Monster Adventure, Kermit temporarily becomes a giant, buff Frankenstein/Hulk-like monster who gets a heavy increase in strength and durability, making him a fierce foe to deal with.

Level 2: The Studebaker
Basically a stronger version of the bike move, or something like the Kapp’n Assist Trophy, Kermit hops into this truck with Fozzie and rushes forward, hitting into and bringing up to two foes into the truck, then driving forward into the blast zones, after which, foes will be spiked away.

Level 3: It’s Time to Play the Music… (added on w/ideas from Oddball Oddball )
A “Muppet Show” sign comes down, smacking into a foe, and Kermit goes inside it. “It’s the Muppet Show, with our very special guest star, (insert foe here). Yayyyyyy!” Then the sign lifts up, bringing the foe along with it, putting them in a cut scene where a bunch of Muppets rush them from the left, then the right, then finishing off with Crazy Harry detonating a giant explosion that blows the foes away, while Gonzo pops up to play them off with a trumpet in the corner.

Darth Vader moveset will be added in a bit. Let me know which of the Up and Down Specials for Kermit you prefer, or any other ideas you have.

Last edited:

AlRex

Smash Lord
Vader uses his lightsaber for regular attacks, and Force pulling and tossing for his grab/throws. He’s a heavy, powerful sword-fighter and Force user, doing well with short range and long range, but being somewhat slow and deliberate in how he attacks and even recovers, basically acting as a cross between some aspects of Mewtwo and certain Ganondorf reworks. Vader's Force attacks will also have a red energy to them, similar to his lightsaber, for balancing and clarity reasons.

Neutral Special: Force Explosion
Vader creates an explosion in front of himself, which deals good damage and knockback. Vader can charge this explosion to be larger and even more explosive, but charging will leave him open.

Up Special: Force Float
Darth Vader uses the Force for an extra jump, then to glide downward for a bit instead of simply falling into freefall. He can choose to cancel out of this with a follow-up attack, as well.

Forward Special: Lightsaber Toss
Vader tosses his lightsaber forward, letting it spin around and dealing potential multi-hitting damage, then pulls it back to himself with the Force. This can also be angled a bit diagonally upward or downward right before it’s sent out, as well.

Down Special: Force Hold
Vader stops a projectile, item, or foe coming right towards him in mid-air, then tosses them backwards as a sort of counter. This deals some damage to a foe as he slams them into the ground right after, which can also spike them away a bit.

Shield-Special: Lightsaber Reflect (From Dan Quixote Dan Quixote )
This move disintegrates general energy based projectiles, and deflects

Supers
Level 1: Stormtroopers

Darth Vader moves out of the way as several Stormtroopers walk onto the stage and start shooting a barrage of lasers throughout the stage. They aren’t specifically aimed, but that’s still pretty dangerous.

Level 2: TIE Fighters
Vader’s TIE Fighter comes down and he jumps into it, then you get a first person view where you can temporarily shoot a few laser blasts down onto the stage.

Level 3: Star Destroyer
Darth Vader pulls a Star Destroyer down and crashes it into the stage, like a slightly larger version of the Majora’s Mask Moon Assist Trophy.

Last edited:

Yiptap

Smash Lord
An idea I had for Kermit's forward smash attack/strong forward is the iconic typewriter gif.

This has Kermit pull out a typewriter. When Kermit charges, he types on the typewriter furiously. Once it's released, paper will come out from the top of the typewriter and go forward. This deals low damage but HIGH knockback.

Oddball

Smash Lord
I have ideas for Kermit's Special Attacks:
Neutral Special: Guitar Blast - Kermit grabs his Guitar and shoots a note that passes through opponent with normal damage.
Side Special: Bicycle Ride - Kermit Dashes on his Bicycle at short distance and bumps at opponent with great damage. You can charge his attack to go further.
Up Special: - Sam the Eagle - Kermit summons Sam to fly upwards and glide like Steve's. The Up special is equivalent to Steve's Up special.
Down Special - Animal - Kermit summons Animal to counter enemy's attacks like Punches or Kicks with his biting. Deadly isn't it?
I like the neutral and Side specials (although Kermit has a banjo not a guitar) but the up and down need work.

For the up, I thought we could reference a classic Sesame Street bit that actually creeped out a lot of young kids back in the day.

The Disco Frog

Something slightly weird about that ghost dancing Kermit. But what we could do is have Kermit rapidly rise into the air with a slightly white glow and he dances.

For the Down Special, he pulls out his microphone with produces and electric shock
reporter.jpg

Final Smash:
Kermit action.jpg
Showtime! Kermit pulls out his megaphone and directors chair and his enemies are trambled under dozens of muppets running running onto stage and dancing and performing tricks until Crazy Harry (the Muppet with the detonator) blows everything up.

AlRex

Smash Lord
I've finalized both Kermit and Vader, with combining Oddball's Up-B and Super with the ones I had that were a bit similar, as well as swapping the Down-B for the use of the microphone. I think I needed a bit more Sesame Street in his moveset, so that's good. I'll add the movesets to the OP in a bit, but I've also got another interesting job for you folks.

Job #15: Submit a character from “other” media.
Anything that isn’t a comic/manga, cartoon/anime, TV show, movie, book, or a video game. Lost? Well, there are still a lot of avenues to pull from. Folklore and mythology, advertising, sports mascots or pro wrestling personas, virtual musicians, Internet video series, ARGs, radio programs and podcasts, theatrical productions, advertising mascots, toys, anything counts here that isn’t directly excluded. They have to be fictional, or at least mostly fictional, and preferably they shouldn’t be super-offensive/controversial in some other way, either. If you submit an Internet character, I’d prefer them not to be a one-note meme, emoji, rage comic, image macro, Wojak, etc., either. At best, maybe NyanCat can be an Assist or something. On both of those things I mentioned, I trust you to use your better judgement. Other than that, a lot is fair game.

Baysha

Smash Ace
Slender Man

(Art by JimmyGibbsJR)

Originating from a forum thread and taking the internet by storm in the early 2010s, Slender Man is the creepypasta. Being featured in a variety of media, from the video game Slender to the web video series Marble Hornets. Slender Man could have a playstyle based around confusing and misdirecting your opponents before hitting with precise, high-damage attacks.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Hatsune Miku

An Internet icon. Hastune Miku originated as the mascot for a voice synthesizing program before becoming a popular virtual popstar, even preforming live. She exploded in popularity, appearing on a ton of merch and becoming associated with various Internet memes. But she's more than a meme character, she actually has a lot of moveset potential.

D

Deleted member

Edit: double post. Ignore.

Last edited by a moderator:

BonafideFella

Smash Journeyman
ratfink.jpg

Job 15 /+/ Rat Fink
A predominant underground character in the 60's, Rat Fink was created as the antithesis to Mickey Mouse (I'm sure you're acquainted.) He is mostly well known for his offkilter personality and his obsession with cars and being "Finklike." Having a character who's gross but isn't truly gross-out, alongside a wealth of miscellaneous hot rod parts as references to the variety of creatures Ed Roth thought out, could be a nice change of pace for the roster.

CheeseAnton

Smash Ace
Job #15: Wikipe-tan
1639106068444.png

Wikipe-tan is the unofficial mascot of Wikipedia (there are multiple but it seems Wikipe-tan is the most popular) and would be a unique fighter being able to use the internet as a whole in her moveset while also being a rep for one of the most popular and used sites of all time.

Last edited:

Oddball

Smash Lord
You asked for somebody that isn't a comic/manga, cartoon/anime, TV show, movie, book, or a video game and this guy, he's been all of them an more, but his original source material is Greek myth.

Hercules.jpg

Hercules (or Heracles if you prefer) is the original hero.
This is the part where I'm supposed to tell you who Hercules is, but you know darn well who Hercules is. Hero, adventurer, son of Zeus, his famous twelve labors and the many other adventures he went on made him the epitome of strength and courage.

And we're certainly not going to be lacking on alternate costumes for the guy. Disney, Schwarzenegger, Kevin Sorbo, the Avengers, Herc has been in a LOT of stuff over the years (and by over the years I mean since at least the 6th Century.)

Last edited:

Butters Stotch

Smash Ace
Job 15:

I figured I should represent one of the most iconic brands out there and its mascot, so I went with Pepsiman as a tribute to the beloved drink. This may be somewhat of a meme pick, given his internet status, but I think he’s iconic enough. This isn’t the first time he’s been in a video game (see his PS1 game) and having him in also means we can include his catchy theme song.

Last edited:
Job 15:
Tankman (Newgrounds website)

Captain John Tankman is main character of Tankmen Series. He is Army Captain, who commands his Army and he has best friend called Steve and his enemies are Bad Captain along with Thugmen. He originated from Webtoons on Newgrounds and he is possibly Iconic web character, who is also Newgrounds Mascot.

As for his Moveset, he could use his moves from Tankman's appearances like his Strong Attacks are gonna be arrow notes from FNF and other Newgrounds stuff like Pico's Uzi as Light attack. He could be "Pop Culture Clash" equivalent of Fox McCloud from SSB.

I nominate Tankman, because we have Newgrounds representation as form of song and we could expand it, since Tankman could have compositing profiles from other Newgrounds properties like FNF, Alien Hominid, Henry Stickmin or Among Us. He could first Newgrounds rep in game and he could represent Newgrounds Series.

Last edited:

evanwoo10

Smash Lord
Job #15: Mr. Clean
08284704-13A9-4E0A-8775-EEBBA5E5F1A6.jpeg

Mr. Clean is the legendary mascot of the Mr. Clean company/products. Mr. Clean has traveled all across the world to learn the best techniques to clean your house. He’s done almost anything you could think of, except entering a fighting game. Mr. Clean’s moveset could basically just involve him cleaning with his own supplies. Mr. Clean also has a ton of commercials to pull from for moveset ideas.

Last edited:
Job #15: Wikipe-tan
View attachment 339950
Wikipe-tan is the unofficial mascot of Wikipedia (there are multiple but it seems Wikipe-tan is the most popular) and would be a unique fighter being able to use the internet as a whole in her moveset while also being a rep for one of the most popular and used sites of all time.
I don't think it's a good idea to implement everything on Internet as Moveset.
I could sound like Quantity over Quality-character.

Rich Uncle Pennybags (Monopoly)
View attachment 340002
A lot of submissions already, but I remembered this guy, the biggest representation of board games, as far as I can tell, anyways. I already have seen a pretty good moveset for him, in video form, no less: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ou2zk167ftc
I had this idea before I switched to Tankman, but I realized that he couldn't be worth for Fighting Game, so I Scrapped him and I switched to Tankman (Mascot of NewGrounds)

Top Bottom