• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

SmashBoards Creates: PlayStation All Stars 2

Torgo the Bear

Smash Lord
NNID
u2outofcontrol
Switch FC
SW-1209-7008-3905
Since PSASBR had a rival system, shouldn't we be submitting characters in twos? Like say, Crash and Spyro or Mr. Mosquito and a Shadow of the Collosus rep?
Maybe we'll figure that out later? I mean, it's not like all the rivalries in the original game made too much sense...making the rivalries will likely just be one of the jobs later down the road. Still, good thought.

TheThingamajigRayman

Smash Journeyman
Newcomer Nomination: Spyro
DaBDenrXcAAM8c1.png

Spyro is the protagonist of the platformer series Spyro the Dragon, with it starting in 1998 on the PS1. Alongside Crash, Spyro is pretty iconic and important in Sony's history. For his first few years, his games were PlayStation exclusive, and his games sold fairly well. He's a fairly popular character and has a history with Sony, so his inclusion would make sense.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
Since PSASBR had a rival system, shouldn't we be submitting characters in twos? Like say, Crash and Spyro or Mr. Mosquito and a Shadow of the Collosus rep?
I was thinking about using that theme for a later set of nominations (ex. submit two characters along with a set-up for their rivalry cutscene), but I figure that (for the most part) we'd save rivalries for later.

I'm guessing that a lot of the veteran rivalries are going to be shuffled around, both because certain characters might not be returning (ex. Kat seems like a popular choice, while Emmett Graves doesn't seem to be all that popular), or just to make it more interesting. (people would probably want to pick who Kratos's rival could be, rather than having it be Sweet Tooth again) As well, we don't want to pick a character's rival too early, only for a much better option to show up later.

Plus, I figure there are a lot of possible rivalries for someone like Crash, for example (Crash vs. Spyro, Crash vs. Nathan Drake in a battle of old and new Naughty Dog characters, Crash vs. Ratchet or Sackboy in a battle of PlayStation mascots, Crash vs. Dr. Nefarious to reference Crash's enemies being mad scientists...), and I'm thinking that people would want a say in who the rivals are. It might lead to some weird match-ups as we start to run out of characters, but considering that the original game had Fat Princess and Evil Cole as rivals, I don't think that's an issue.

Last edited:

dezeray112

Smash Hero
Newcomer choice: Tidus (Final Fantasy X)

Who is Tidus?

Tidus is a young, cheerful star blitzball player, guardian and the main protagonist of Final Fantasy X. Originally from Zanarkand, Tidus witnessed the horrifying events caused by Sin (who is unknowingly his father) who obliterated his home town before transported over to Spira where his quest began when he met a summoner named Yuna who is set to go on a pilgrimage to obtain the final Aeon to end Sin's conflict. After being made a guardian of Yuna, he swore to protect her at all costs from any threats.

I will say that the Final Fantasy series has certainly evolved a lot within the Playstation brand and Final Fantasy X is one of them in which had proven to be commercial and critical success in which it sold more than 8 million units alone on the Playstation 2.

Tidus's moveset will most certainly have a lot of inspiration from Final Fantasy X and Dissidia where he will utilise specific overdrive moves with his sword along with a couple of blitzball inspired moves.

Wunderwaft

Smash Master
Newcomer Nomination:

Leon S. Kennedy

Games: Resident Evil 2 (1998), Resident Evil 4 (2005), Resident Evil 6 (2012), Resident Evil 2 (2019)

A popular protagonist in the world-wide famous franchise Resident Evil, Leon is a former police officer who currently works as a federal agent. His first day on the job had him survive the zombie apocalypse in Raccoon City, with limited resources he was able to escape the city before it was bombed by a nuclear weapon. Leon is a professional gun wielder with knowledge on CQC combat, his gameplay would revolve around the management of limited resources like ammo and herbs. He can find new resources while fighting but if they're depleted he will be left vulnerable.

The Resident Evil franchise needs no introduction, it's one of the most popular video game franchises of all time and it debuted on the Playstation. The series has introduced a ton of new gaming mechanics and it popularized the third person shoulder PoV thanks to Resident Evil 4. While Jill and Chris are also popular protagonists, I picked Leon as he is usually seen as the fan favorite between the three (with Jill usually very close behind him).

osby

Smash Obsessed
Newcomer Nomination: Ellen from Folklore (2007)

1617467749219.png

Ellen is one of the two protagonists of Folklore, an early PS3 action-adventure game with JRPG elements. While the game didn't sell well and never received a sequel (though one was planned), it still has a small cult fandom thanks to its unique mystery atmosphere, use of dark fantasy Celtic motifs, and creative use of enemies, or Folks. Helps that it was created by Kouji Okada, the father of the Shin Megami Tensei series.

Ellen herself is a young university student who was lured into the mysterious seaside village of Doolin in Ireland, in an attempt to recover her lost memories. After finding herself in the Netherworld (the game's version of Tír na nÓg), she learns to channel the Folks, various creatures and spirits that upon defeat can be absorbed for her use. Gameplay-wise, Ellen would be a unique summoner character who not only wields different folks to control the battlefield around her but also uses various magical attacks. These can change from elemental attacks like water, wind, and lighting to different status effects like sleep, charm, and bind to magical slash and blunt strikes.

As for why she should be added... well, the game's other protag Keats is also a good choice and definitely should appear in one of her super moves, I mostly chose her for her bigger story involvement. Folklore is far from being the biggest Sony franchise around but Ellen's addition would be a unique one, representing a rather small, experimental game with a killer OST and novel stage choices. If it helps, she'd also be another first-party female fighter, something first PSASBR was quite lacking.

Doc Monocle

Smash Ace
Job #2 (I know this isn't a job number system, but it's too familiar that I'll use it even if not assigned, it's confortable and safe for me): Yu Narukami
View attachment 309744
Yu Narukami is the Sister-Complex Kingpin of Steel from Inaba, who has more than a valid representation on PlayStation consoles. Appearing on PlayStation exclusive Persona 4, and Persona 4 Dancing, Yu is definitely one of the most liked protagonists in the series for being a chad and being such a jerk for a nice person (if that makes sense). Persona is a series that has a long and devoted history to Sony, that is also popular, that I think it has an easy case to make for having a second fighter, but for now I'd say Yu Narukami can be a good representative if we only have 1 fighter. As to why Yu over Joker, I'd say it mainly comes down to the fact that Persona 4 had the better dancing game... what, did you expect me to say something else?
Newcomer choice: Tidus (Final Fantasy X)

Who is Tidus?

Tidus is a young, cheerful star blitzball player, guardian and the main protagonist of Final Fantasy X. Originally from Zanarkand, Tidus witnessed the horrifying events caused by Sin (who is unknowingly his father) who obliterated his home town before transported over to Spira where his quest began when he met a summoner named Yuna who is set to go on a pilgrimage to obtain the final Aeon to end Sin's conflict. After being made a guardian of Yuna, he swore to protect her at all costs from any threats.

I will say that the Final Fantasy series has certainly evolved a lot within the Playstation brand and Final Fantasy X is one of them in which had proven to be commercial and critical success in which it sold more than 8 million units alone on the Playstation 2.

Tidus's moveset will most certainly have a lot of inspiration from Final Fantasy X and Dissidia where he will utilise specific overdrive moves with his sword along with a couple of blitzball inspired moves.
My nomination is Sly Cooper's Bentley:

View attachment 309764

Bentley is the 'brains' behind the Cooper gang's capers. He is a turtle confined physically by his wheelchair, but intellectually by nothing. He aids Sly by hacking into computer mainframes, providing intel on heists, and even partaking in missions himself! Do not be fooled by the wheelchair, as it is oufitted with thrusters, mechanical arms, and explosives. Bentley is also skilled in using blow darts, and he can attack using the wheels on his wheelchair. This is one turtle not to be underestimated!
Newcomer Nomination:
View attachment 309732
Crash Bandicoot
This wacky spinning marsupial is one of Sony's iconic characters in gaming with his first game that came out way back in 1996, he has become a pretty popular character with Crash 4 being released last year, I think it would be cool to see him fight Big Daddy, freaking Kratos and PaRappa.
Solid Snake

Game(s): Metal Gear Solid (1998), Metal Gear Solid 2 (2001), Metal Gear Solid 4 (2008)

The main protagonist of the Metal Gear games, Solid Snake is a former spy, special operations soldier, and mercenary who is tasked with infiltrating various exotic locations to stop giant robots called “Metal Gears” that are often armed with nuclear weapons. In addition to how Snake plays in Smash Bros. (using close quarters combat and explosives), he could take advantage of PlayStation All Stars’ laxer stance on guns to incorporate M9 tranquilizer pistols, FAMAS rifles, and sniper rifles into his moveset.

The Metal Gear Solid series has heavy ties to PlayStation, with 1-3 starting out as PlayStation exclusives and Metal Gear Solid 4 still being exclusive to the PS3, and it’s generally lauded as an outstanding franchise that pushes technical boundaries and encourages creativity and outside-the-box thinking. (and also inside-the-box thinking) While Raiden is already a PlayStation All Stars veteran, there’s nothing saying that we can’t have both Snake and Raiden included in a sequel.
Newcomer Nomination: Ellen from Folklore (2007)

View attachment 309814

Ellen is one of the two protagonists of Folklore, an early PS3 action-adventure game with JRPG elements. While the game didn't sell well and never received a sequel (though one was planned), it still has a small cult fandom thanks to its unique mystery atmosphere, use of dark fantasy Celtic motifs, and creative use of enemies, or Folks. Helps that it was created by Kouji Okada, the father of the Shin Megami Tensei series.

Ellen herself is a young university student who was lured into the mysterious seaside village of Doolin in Ireland, in an attempt to recover her lost memories. After finding herself in the Netherworld (the game's version of Tír na nÓg), she learns to channel the Folks, various creatures and spirits that upon defeat can be absorbed for her use. Gameplay-wise, Ellen would be a unique summoner character who not only wields different folks to control the battlefield around her but also uses various magical attacks. These can change from elemental attacks like water, wind, and lighting to different status effects like sleep, charm, and bind to magical slash and blunt strikes.

As for why she should be added... well, the game's other protag Keats is also a good choice and definitely should appear in one of her super moves, I mostly chose her for her bigger story involvement. Folklore is far from being the biggest Sony franchise around but Ellen's addition would be a unique one, representing a rather small, experimental game with a killer OST and novel stage choices. If it helps, she'd also be another first-party female fighter, something first PSASBR was quite lacking.
Newcomer Nomination: Astro Bot

one of Playstation's more recent mascots, Astro Bot was essentially the poster boy for the PSVR, as well as having a game coming predownloaded into the PS5. He would help represent a newer generation of Sony games and would I think he would be a perfect fit for a platform fighter.
Newcomer Nomination: Spyro
View attachment 309784
Spyro is the protagonist of the platformer series Spyro the Dragon, with it starting in 1998 on the PS1. Alongside Crash, Spyro is pretty iconic and important in Sony's history. For his first few years, his games were PlayStation exclusive, and his games sold fairly well. He's a fairly popular character and has a history with Sony, so his inclusion would make sense.
My character suggestion is Lara Croft from Tomb Raider.
View attachment 309782
Alongside Samus Aran and Chun-Li, Lara Croft is one of the first popular female protagonists in video game history, and considering her franchise having partially originated on the PlayStation and being mostly exclusive to it, I think she fits into this game perfectly. Her moveset could easily be a combo of her classic and modern appearances, although I'm fairly convinced she would use her modern design by default and the classic design as an alternate costume.

Plus, I'd love to see her interact with Nathan and Sly.
Newcomer nomination:
Mister Mosquito

This character could never possibly win the vote, but I'm gonna submit him anyway because why not? Mister Mosquito is a strange, weirdly perverse PS2-exclusive game about sucking blood from a family. Its protagonist could make an interesting inclusion for a fighting game - he could suck blood from his enemies and fly around the stage for one thing, but he could also use some original, bug-themed attacks. His reveal could highlight that the unusual roster choices of the first PSASBR aren't going anywhere. His stage could be... well, look up gameplay footage and you'll have a decent idea. We'd have to censor it somehow (using a male family member would probably be the best way), but fighting on a giant human does sound fun.
Newcomer Nomination:

Leon S. Kennedy

Games: Resident Evil 2 (1998), Resident Evil 4 (2005), Resident Evil 6 (2012), Resident Evil 2 (2019)

A popular protagonist in the world-wide famous franchise Resident Evil, Leon is a former police officer who currently works as a federal agent. His first day on the job had him survive the zombie apocalypse in Raccoon City, with limited resources he was able to escape the city before it was bombed by a nuclear weapon. Leon is a professional gun wielder with knowledge on CQC combat, his gameplay would revolve around the management of limited resources like ammo and herbs. He can find new resources while fighting but if they're depleted he will be left vulnerable.

The Resident Evil franchise needs no introduction, it's one of the most popular video game franchises of all time and it debuted on the Playstation. The series has introduced a ton of new gaming mechanics and it popularized the third person shoulder PoV thanks to Resident Evil 4. While Jill and Chris are also popular protagonists, I picked Leon as he is usually seen as the fan favorite between the three (with Jill usually very close behind him).
My nomination is Hatapon, from Patapon (PSP)
View attachment 309773Hatapon is the core of the Patapon army; the conduit through which the Patapon God Almighty (that's the player) commands the Patapons by way of specific drum patterns. There are many different types of Patapon, but Hatapon is always there to lead them to victory.

In Playstation All-Stars, Hatapon takes on a role similar to Olimar or Fat Princess. Hatapon doesn't attack directly, aside from a couple of highly ineffective swings with his flag. Instead, he summons the different classes of Patapon to perform their attacks: spear-throwing Yaripons, shield-bearing Tatepons, horse-riding Kibapons and many others!

For his supers, Hatapon can bring down the wrath of Almighty with a storm miracle, call upon the might of the Heropons, or band together with the Zigotons and Karmens to overwhelm the enemy with sheer numbers!

With the strength of the Patapon and the will of the Almighty, Hatapon will bring a unique style to the world of PlayStation All-Stars 2!

dezeray112

Smash Hero
My vote goes to Ellen (Folklore)

I did had other choices that I could've picked such as Scorpion from Mortal Kombat who would've been another ideal pick.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
I'm guessing that people are ready to move on, so I'll close the nominations now.

Job 3: voting for the initial newcomers

Here are the nominations. Remember, you can only put your own nomination in third place - your top two have to be someone else's picks.

Newcomers:

Solid Snake ( Megadoomer Megadoomer )
Crash Bandicoot ( Mamboo07 Mamboo07 )
Astro Bot ( Otoad64 Otoad64 )
Mr. Mosquito ( Wario Wario Wario Wario Wario Wario )
Yu Narukami ( CheeseAnton CheeseAnton )
Bentley ( Doc Monocle Doc Monocle )
Hatapon ( Yokta Yokta )
Lara Croft ( Torgo the Bear Torgo the Bear )
Spyro ( TheThingamajigRayman TheThingamajigRayman )
Tidus ( dezeray112 dezeray112 )
Leon S. Kennedy ( Wunderwaft Wunderwaft )
Ellen ( osby osby )

Future categories will have more specific themes (since this job is for the newcomers who are included in the announcement, I figured it would be best to leave it open/broad), but I'm thinking that if we get ten or more nominations in later sections, we'll add the top two entries instead of just the one with the most votes. (at least for characters and stages - that wouldn't really work for something like super moves)

My vote will be:

1. Lara Croft (I'm not very familiar with Tomb Raider, but this feels like a franchise that needs to be in a PlayStation All Stars sequel, especially with Nathan Drake as one of the first announced characters)
2. Crash Bandicoot (his early games were synonymous with PlayStation, and while I realize that the situations are very different, a game about PlayStation all stars not having him is like Smash Bros. not having Mario or Pikachu)
3. Yu Narukami (Persona 4 Golden was seen as the reason to own a PlayStation Vita from what I can tell, and it seems like another franchise that people heavily associate with PlayStation. Plus, his art style and design would help him stand out among the cast, and PSASBR was weirdly lacking when it came to RPG characters)

(You don't have to include reasons; I just like writing down my thoughts)

Last edited:

TheThingamajigRayman

Smash Journeyman
1. Lara Croft
A gaming icon. And especially tied to Sony, most of her franchise is on Sony consoles.
2. Astro Bot
Newer PS mascot, fits in well.
3. Spyro
Would rate him higher, but can't, dragons are cool, part of Sony history, like the character.

Last edited:

CheeseAnton

Smash Ace
1. Crash Bandicoot (nothing I have to say, let's just get him out of the way)
2. Astro Bot (I like them, they're cute.)
3. Yu Narukami (I'm biased)

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
1. Spyro
2. Lara Croft
3. Crash Bandicoot

As a 90s kid, these three are still the very first ones I think of when I think PlayStation icons...even though they've all since moved to being multiplatform.

Speed Weed

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-1814-1029-3514
Well, this is certainly an interesting lineup of potential newcomers - it feels so eclectic yet "safe" at the same time. I was gonna submit Aloy since she seemed like an obvious pick to me, but then I realized I knew absolute jack**** about Horizon so that didn't quite work out.

Anyway, votes!

1. Cash Banooca
2. Lara Croft
3. Snake

I'm really excited for the more specific prompts tbh

Doc Monocle

Smash Ace
As of post #69 at the time of this adjustment, the totals are (of course, not final):

Crash Bandicoot: 34 (1st)
Lara Croft: 22 (2nd)
Astro Bot: 16 (3rd)
Spyro: 11 (5th)
Solid Snake: 6 (6th)
Ellen: 3 (8th)
Leon Kennedy: 4 (7th)
Yu Narukami: 12 (4th)
Bentley: 2 (9th)
Mr. Mosquito: 1 (10th)
Hatapon: 1 (10th)
Tidus: 2 (9th)

Last edited:

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
I think I'll wrap this up in about 6 hours, give or take. (not sure if I need to give advance warning, but I figure it's only fair)

Golden Icarus

Smash Lord
1. Yu: The lack of JRPGs in PSAS was pretty weird. Persona is still pretty much exclusively Sony, and Narukami is kind of the perfect “Vita Rep.” (I speak from experience. I own one game on the Vita)
2. Lara: Along with Crash and Cloud, she felt like one of the most notable absences in the first PSAS.
3. Leon: I think it’s funny how we just added him to our Smash sequel and our MvC sequel. He has a lot of history with Sony, so why not!

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
Final scores for the newcomers:

-Mr. Mosquito: 1
-Hatapon: 1
-Tidus: 2
-Bentley: 2
-Ellen: 3
-Leon Kennedy: 4
-Solid Snake: 6
-Spyro: 11
-Yu Narukami: 12
-Astro Bot: 16
-Lara Croft: 22
-Crash Bandicoot: 34

As a result, the first two newcomers will be Crash Bandicoot and Lara Croft! (you can still nominate a character that didn't make it in later, if there's a category that applies to them - for example, if/when we do a category on horror games, Leon Kennedy can be nominated) I'm not sure whether we should have a poll to determine Lara's default design or not - Torgo the Bear Torgo the Bear brought up having her modern design as her default look with her classic design being an alternate costume, so I'm tempted to go with that for simplicity's sake rather than getting bogged down with little details.

Next up will be two jobs - one's more on the technical/gameplay side of things, while the other's more for fun.

Job #4: The KO Mechanic

One of the biggest complaints that people had about PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale was the mechanic where you could only KO opponents with super moves. Aside from making it so regular attacks served little purpose, it could potentially result in matches going into 4x overtime because neither person can land the one specific attack that lets you KO someone (or if they’re just not aware that only supers KO people, like we saw when Game Grumps played the game).

As a result, one of the first things that we’re going to do is to try and fix/address that. I'm aware that we're not professional game developers, so we don't have to worry about balancing every little aspect of gameplay to fit these adjustments; this is just what you think could have been done instead of the current system where only Super moves (and hitting someone after petrifying them with a Medusa head) KO opponents.

Job #5: The Reveal Trailer

If game mechanics aren’t your thing, there’s also the description of a reveal trailer. Considering the success that Smash has had with flashy CGI trailers that embrace the crossover madness, it seems like a good way to get people excited would be to start with one of those. The only rule is that it has to involve all six of the characters, and they have to be fighting for whatever reason. (it doesn’t seem like it would make for an interesting trailer to have them eating lunch or playing Monopoly)

You can put in an entry for one or both of these categories – it’s up to you.

Last edited:

Wario Wario Wario

Smash Legend
Job #4:
Stamina

All characters have stamina AND stocks. Getting knocked off the stage wraps you around the screen (unless it's a scrolling stage in which characters will be KO'd just as Smash does it.) Supers return, but only level 3s can 1HKO, in exhange Supers take a much, much longer time to charge so most players will only get one super (assuming they go exclusively for a level 3) per 2-minute match. Stamina heals slowly over time as to encourage combos.

Doc Monocle

Smash Ace
Job #4:

Smash Bros. is an unorthodox fighting game. That does not mean Playstation All-stars must be as well. I think it should have a stamina-based K.O system. If the game must be different in some way, I would offer that each character may have weak spots/strong spots that affect how much damage they take. For example, Clank is a weak spot for Ratchet and Clank. That mechanic can be toggled in game settings. Hitting these areas are called 'Hard Hits' and 'Sorry Hits,' respectively. Falling or being launched off-screen results in death when the stage allows it.

Job #4:
Stamina

All characters have stamina AND stocks. Getting knocked off the stage wraps you around the screen (unless it's a scrolling stage in which characters will be KO'd just as Smash does it.) Supers return, but only level 3s can 1HKO, in exhange Supers take a much, much longer time to charge so most players will only get one super (assuming they go exclusively for a level 3) per 2-minute match. Stamina heals slowly over time as to encourage combos.
... Also, what do you mean by wrapping around the screen?

Otoad64

Smash Lord
Job 4:

honestly? just do it as Smash Bros does it, with percents and knocking opponents off the screen. However the main difference would be the Supers, which retain their multiple levels and are more balanced, making them more of a core part of the gameplay then Smash's Final Smashes (I also imagine they can't be turned off)

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
Job #5

The trailer starts out as the Uncharted theme plays, showing Nathan Drake wandering/climbing around a mountain as he gives a monologue about how he uncovered a treasure map that shows something of great value in a mountain in Norway that nobody has ever returned from. The map wasn't clear what the treasure was; only that it's something that provides great power. Searching along the side of the mountain, in a clearing surrounded by some trees, he finds a complex-looking lock as the music fades out.

He starts to turn the lock, but the opening notes of the theme of the first game (or, if they can't get the rights back, a lawyer-friendly instrumental piece that sounds similar) start to play as a loud yell can be heard. The camera whips around to show Kratos, axe in hand, leaping at Nathan, who barely rolls out of the way. Nathan pulls out a pistol and shoots at the crazed (and inexplicably shirtless) mountain man, but Kratos pulls up his shield to block the bullets. Kratos flings his axe - Nathan narrowly ducks under it, and it chops down a tree behind him.

As the tree falls, PaRappa can be seen skateboarding along it. He hops off the tree and smacks Kratos in the face with his skateboard. Kratos's axe returns to his hand, and he charges at this new challenger.

With the god of war distracted, Nathan turns around to go back to the lock, only to find Sackboy standing in front of it, glaring at Nathan menacingly. Nathan makes some kind of remark before trying to get back to the lock, but Sackboy summons an anvil above Nathan's head. It falls, but Nathan's barely able to dodge it.

Nathan tosses a grenade at Sackboy, causing the tiny stuffed creature to panic and leap out of the way. (the music cuts off as the grenade explodes) Before he can get much further, an arrow hits the ground, just narrowly missing his feet. The camera pans along the arrow's trajectory to show Lara Croft standing on a cliff-top with her bow in hand, as music from Tomb Raider starts to play. (I'm not familiar enough with the series to know what to recommend, but the 45 second mark of the Tomb Raider Legend theme onwards seems triumphant enough) She leaps down the cliff, putting her bow on her back and pulling out her twin pistols. A brief fight between Nathan Drake and Lara Croft is shown, because it seems like a pretty big deal that these two are in the same game.

The camera pans around a still image (or one that's in such slow motion that it might as well be still) of the carnage before showing shots of the fighters' faces and cutting to the title: PlayStation All Stars 2. (the title might be a placeholder, but since the original game was mocked for having an unusually long name, it might be best to keep it simple)

Cut back to the fight, where the screen starts to rumble. The characters look up to see Crash Bandicoot, pursued by a boulder and heading right towards them as the title theme from Crash 1 starts to play. The five other characters leap out of the way as the boulder catches up to Crash, continuing to roll forward (with him stuck to it) towards the locked door (and the camera) until it crashes into both, ending the trailer.

---

I'm not sure how Uncharted fans would feel about the fake-out (I still wish we got Kirby's Air Ride 2, all these years after the Rosalina Smash trailer), but hopefully they wouldn't be too mad. Music could be made up just for the trailer, but I wanted to go with song choices that would have to do with the series that are being used.

Last edited:

Yokta

That's Yoktastic!
Job #4:

Velocity Knockouts

As fighters accumulate damage, the knockback they receive from strong attacks and special moves will scale up. There's a limit to how fast you can go, and exceeding that limit can be lethal.
Mach 1 speed is where things get dangerous. If you're faster than sound, you'll take more damage from attacks, and from any collision that doesn't KO you outright. You'll also gradually accumulate passive damage, one point at a time, until you drop below mach speed.
Send a fighter flying above Mach 2 speed, and they'll be KO'd if they collide with a wall or the blast zone.
When they hit Mach 3, brushing against any solid surface, or even another fighter's strong attacks, will KO them.
If their speed hits Mach 5 in hitstun, the fighter is KO'd instantly.

Just like Smash Bros, the key is to rack up your opponent's damage until they're weak enough to launch. However, with Velocity Knockouts, scoring KOs is much more consistent. We may be giving up Smash Bros' edge guard game by nerfing the blast zone, but we would gain a more consistent combo game and a greater variety of competitively viable stages.

For those unconvinced by the Velocity Knockout system, the various speed limits can be adjusted before the match. By setting the blast zone limit to 0mph and all other limits to their maximum, you can play with the classic ring-out style of Smash Bros.

But at the end of the day, nothing can match the visceral thrill of whacking some poor sucker into a wall so hard that they turn into a splatter.

VictoryIsMudkipz

Smash Journeyman
I'd definitely like to see these characters if a Sequel were to happen:

1. Ellie Williams (TLOU 2), Her fight with
Abby in the abandoned theatre
was awesome and had many variants of weapons she could use

2. Patapons, ashamed that they havent made any new titles with this franchise recently, but Patapon was once a big title to Sony and deserves a spot

3. Aloy (Horizons Zero Dawn/Forbidden West (2021?)) Self explanatory if you've played the games, amazing character

(Spyro for the honorable mention)

As for a Kill mechanic, I'd like to keep it stock/time based, but maybe it relies on stamina and not kill confirms? Kinda like traditional fighting games like SF or Tekken, where a character has a health bar, but instead of the "round ending" after health drops, the stock is lost and the match continues until the final stock is taken. 2-4 players per match and a competent computer AI you can versus against.

The Trailer is fine however it comes, I think they did good with the trailer for the first game, as long as its not like the storymode slideshow from the first game lol

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
Job #4: Changes to the KO Mechanic

Wario Wario Wario Wario Wario Wario - stamina, limited off-screen KOs
Doc Monocle Doc Monocle - stamina, off-screen KOs
Otoad64 Otoad64 - percents, similar to Smash Bros.
Yokta Yokta - velocity knockouts

We're going to vote for three again, though in this case, you can put your own nomination in second or third, since there aren't many to choose from. VictoryIsMudkipz VictoryIsMudkipz , not really sure what the difference is between your idea and some of the other ones that were suggested; sorry.

For me, it's...

1. Doc Monocle
2. Wario Wario Wario
3. Yokta

Job #5 goes to my idea by default, since I was the only one who posted one.

Since there aren't many options compared to previous days, I'll also throw job #6 in here.

Job #6: The Stages

In an attempt to show off the new gameplay mechanics (both to give people confidence in the direction of the game and to show off more of the new/redesigned characters), there will be two matches shown in the presentation. As such, we’ll need two stage ideas to start us off. They can involve material from any first-party Sony franchise, or any of the third party series that are currently involved, but out of the two franchises that are crossing over in each stage, one of them has to be from a series that one of the playable characters is from.

This can either be the base of the stage (ex. the pits of Hades from God of War) or the invaders (ex. the Hydra from God of War appearing in the background of a city from Ratchet and Clank). You can include a series that doesn’t have a playable character in a stage idea, as long as it’s first party. A developer wouldn’t be able to include a Final Fantasy stage if there’s no Final Fantasy content in the game, for example, but if you want to reference something like Journey, Shadow of the Colossus, or Knack even if we haven’t included a character from that (yet), that’s fine.

TL;DR: every stage has to include content from at least one of the following: God of War, LittleBigPlanet, Uncharted, PaRappa the Rapper, Crash Bandicoot, or Tomb Raider. Any other Sony property is fair game, even if they don’t wind up making it into the playable roster.

(Not sure if this is too much at once, but I'm just experimenting with this to see what works)

Stage Idea: Wildwoods

The snowy mountainous area where God of War (2018) begins. Kratos's cabin can be seen in the background, along with trees (both standing and fallen) and ruins. The music starts out playing an early boss theme from God of War (2018), but as time goes on, the music shifts to this (or something similar to it) shortly before Valus, the first Colossus from Shadows of the Colossus, bursts out of the forest. If hazards are off, it stands there harmlessly, watching the fight, but if hazards are on, it swings its club downwards, which is indicated before the swing by a target on the ground.

The stage would be flat, and a walk-off stage if we have KOs by sending people off-screen. When Valus hits the ground, it causes some parts of the ruins to fall over, acting as platforms to stand on. Some thicker tree branches also act as platforms, to cut down on camping from projectile-heavy characters if hazards are off. Piles of red leaves will be on the branches to distinguish which ones can be stood on.

Last edited:

Janx_uwu

Smash Champion
Writing Team
Voting for:
1. Wario Wario Wario's
2. Otoad's
3. Doc Monocle's

New Stage: Avery's Ship (May have slight Uncharted 4 spoilers)
I know PSASBR already has one Uncharted stage, but you know what happened between that game and our sequel? The grand finale to the series.
This stage takes place on the inside of Captain Henry Avery's ship, which is where you fight the final boss of Uncharted 4. The room is filled with treasure and raging flames. The stage is flat and walled in, with a ceiling. Though there are some small piles of jewels and coins that can be stood on. We can see On opposite sides of the ship, there are bags with tons of treasure in them, hanging from the ceiling by a rope. If you damage the rope, the bag will fall-and if it hits the opponent on the way down, it's an instant KO. We can see two skeletons in the background, sitting together in the far corner of the right-hand side. The level will slightly bob up and down sometimes, due to it being in water.
The ship itself can be damaged, and has a threshold that will be decided according to what battle system we go with. When it reaches that threshold, the ship will explode to reveal where the ship is (or rather, was)-the Upstream level from the original Crash Bandicoot! (Obviously though, with graphics on the level of N. Sane Trilogy). This part of the level is much bigger. The water cannot be swam in, but there are several platforms to stand on, most notably, the remains of the ship you just blew up. There's also TNT crates, which explode a few seconds after jumping on them; Nitro crates, which explode immediately after jumping on them; Lilipads, logs, normal crates, and stone pillars that function just like the ship remains. The background consits of jungle seen in the original game.

Wario Wario Wario

Smash Legend
Stage Idea: Fleaswallow's Market

The stage begins with a basic layout, the Pokemon Stadium layout, but with walkoffs. Simple enough. Prince Fleaswallow is selling his wares, but this has no impact on gameplay. The music for this portion is a reggae remix of Instructor Mooselini's car rap.

All of a sudden, one of these appears

Yes, Lemmings is a Sony IP, look it up. Either way, the Lemming steals a toy truck, which enrages Fleaswallow, not because of the theft but rather because the Womble-esque rodent didn't get his free pump. Suddenly an orchestral Can Can begins to play as Lemmings start popping up all over the stage and stripping Fleaswallow's market dry - some Lemmings also parasol glide out of a window and onto the stage itself in the foreground and start slowly digging a hole in the middle of the stage - which I should note never goes fully to the bottom, so you can't KO out the hole. Fleaswallow can then be seen making chase against the idiotic creatures in a state of panic for the rest of the match

Last edited:
Top Bottom