• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

SmashBoards Creates: PlayStation All Stars 2

Doc Monocle

Smash Ace
Megadoomer Megadoomer , did you vote, or did you just list entries for Job #7? I shall adjust this if you did not vote.

As of post #122, the vote points for control schemes are:

Goodgrief: 13

Yokta: 13

Vgamer01: 11

Last edited:

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
Megadoomer Megadoomer , did you vote, or did you just list entries for Job #7? I shall adjust this if you did not vote.

As of post #120, the vote points for control schemes are:

Goodgrief: 13

VGamer01: 12

Yokta: 10
I haven't voted yet; I will at some point, but yesterday was busier than I expected.

EDIT: I'll go with
1. Yokta
2. VGamer
3. Goodgrief

Last edited:

Yokta

That's Yoktastic!
I realise that my controls proposal has a lot of overlap with VGamer's proposal, so I'd like to discuss a possible consolidation of our schemes.

These are three of the biggest differences between them:
For Triangle and Circle, I suggested "Power" and "Special" attacks, while VGamer suggested "Special" and "Attribute."
For L1 and R1, I suggested "Counter" and "Grab," while VGamer suggested "Grab" and "Dodge."
My block system uses the adaptive triggers to distinguish between two levels of shield, while VGamer only uses them for haptic feedback.

I have to admit, I don't see the benefit of their approach to the face buttons. There's a lot of overlap between "Special" and "Attribute," quite literally: VGamer's description of these functions contains the name of the other. I don't see why the "Attribute" move can't simply be one of the Special moves. In my opinion, it makes more sense to split the normal attacks into weak and strong attacks.

As for L1 and R1, I'm not as confident my way is superior. Giving every character a counter seems harmless in theory, but I fear it might end up homogenising the roster far more than would be reasonable. However, I'm not sure that dodging needs its own button when simply inputting a direction while shielding is reliable and sensible already. I'm glad we agree that grabs need a shoulder button and item use doesn't, but that other shoulder button oughta be used for something.

As for the shields, i can see how VGamer's suggestion is preferable. My shield system may be overly complex for a party fighter. It's true that Melee did analogue shield strength on the GameCube, but you were never required to know which type of shield is best suited to specific attacks.

VGamer and I have a shared goal of updating the All-Stars systems and patching the flaws, so hopefully we can reach a compromise.

Last edited:

CapitaineCrash

Smash Champion
I realise that my controls proposal has a lot of overlap with VGamer's proposal, so I'd like to discuss a possible consolidation of our schemes.

These are three of the biggest differences between them:
For Triangle and Circle, I suggested "Power" and "Special" attacks, while VGamer suggested "Special" and "Attribute."
For L1 and R1, I suggested "Counter" and "Grab," while VGamer suggested "Grab" and "Dodge."
My block system uses the adaptive triggers to distinguish between two levels of shield, while VGamer only uses them for haptic feedback.

I have to admit, I don't see the benefit of their approach to the face buttons. There's a lot of overlap between "Special" and "Attribute," quite literally: VGamer's description of these functions contains the name of the other. I don't see why the "Attribute" move can't simply be one of the Special moves. In my opinion, it makes more sense to split the normal attacks into weak and strong attacks.

As for L1 and R1, I'm not as confident my way is superior. Giving every character a counter seems harmless in theory, but I fear it might end up homogenising the roster far more than would be reasonable. However, I'm not sure that dodging needs its own button when simply inputting a direction while shielding is reliable and sensible already. I'm glad we agree that grabs need a shoulder button and item use doesn't, but that other shoulder button oughta be used for something.

As for the shields, i can see how VGamer's suggestion is preferable. My shield system may be overly complex for a party fighter. It's true that Melee did analogue shield strength on the GameCube, but you were never required to know which type of shield is best suited to specific attacks.

VGamer and I have a shared goal of updating the All-Stars systems and patching the flaws, so hopefully we can reach a compromise.
Personally I think the attribute button is a cool concept. I guess this would be similar to the Injustice games character trait. Yes, they're similar to special moves, but most of the time they're more powerful or have more utility. Some characters have stats boost (like Superman), some have really powerful special moves that need to charge (like Black Canary scream), others summons something to help them (like Atrocitus' cat and Poison Ivy plants), some even gains new moves for a short period of time (like Gorilla grodd have access to telekinesis moves), and some can completely change their moveset (like Blue beetle or Nightwing in the first game).

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
I'm going to turn this over to a StrawPoll, since the results are currently tied (Yokta: 13, GoodGrief: 13, Vgamer: 11). I'm not sure what the best way to word the poll is, so I just decided to keep it simple.

Since we haven't decided on the control scheme yet, I can't exactly have us vote on move lists, so instead, we'll move on to...

Job #8: First Party Items

The original game had items, but I feel like there's a lot of untapped potential there. We'll be sticking with items from first party series only, since Crash's moveset hasn't been finalized and it's unclear how much crates will play into it. (for example, it might be confusing to have Crash use Nitro Crates in his moveset, as well as having Nitro Crates as an item - I figure it's best to avoid overlap) While I'm not familiar with Tomb Raider, I'd be concerned that something similar might happen with Lara and her moveset, particularly her specials.

I'll have to look into some of Sony's first party series before I nominate anything, since I haven't played many of them. As far as the descriptions go, it would be helpful to explain what the items would do in-game.

CapitaineCrash

Smash Champion
I'm going to turn this over to a StrawPoll, since the results are currently tied (Yokta: 13, GoodGrief: 13, Vgamer: 11). I'm not sure what the best way to word the poll is, so I just decided to keep it simple.

Since we haven't decided on the control scheme yet, I can't exactly have us vote on move lists, so instead, we'll move on to...

Job #8: First Party Items

The original game had items, but I feel like there's a lot of untapped potential there. We'll be sticking with items from first party series only, since Crash's moveset hasn't been finalized and it's unclear how much crates will play into it. (for example, it might be confusing to have Crash use Nitro Crates in his moveset, as well as having Nitro Crates as an item - I figure it's best to avoid overlap) While I'm not familiar with Tomb Raider, I'd be concerned that something similar might happen with Lara and her moveset, particularly her specials.

I'll have to look into some of Sony's first party series before I nominate anything, since I haven't played many of them. As far as the descriptions go, it would be helpful to explain what the items would do in-game.
Job 8: Groovitron from Ratchet & Clank
Pretty simple and self explanatory if you've played the Ratchet & Clank games. This item looks like a disco ball and when you pick it up, you throw it like a projectile. It doesn't do a lot of damage, but it will play some music and opponents that are near it will start to dance and can't attack.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Job #8: Disc Launcher (Horizon)

I wanted to suggest an item from Horizon: Zero Dawn since its abundance of weapons lends itself well to this job. But we haven't added Aloy to the roster yet (though I expect that we probably will soon since she's a no-brainer), so I don't want to add a weapon that she'd use in her moveset. Lo-and-behold, the Disc Launcher. The Disc Launcher isn't a normal, equipable weapon in Zero Dawn, but rather, it's a pick-up with limited ammo that Aloy can take from a Thunderjaw. With all the weapons that she uses and the new ones she'll probably get in Forbidden West I hope this one won't be missed when making a moveset.

The Disc Launcher would be an epic item (if we're still using that classification). It can fire 8 energy discs that move very slowly but deal massive damage and explode on contact. As in the original game, it would slow down its wielder's movement, so it makes for a high risk/high reward weapon.

osby

Smash Obsessed
Job #8: First-Party Items

Not sure if we're allowed to suggest more than one item. If not, I'll just delete one of them.

Magic Potion
1617992974399.png

An item from Fat Princess. When thrown, any allies or foes within a certain area of the potion will be turned into chickens and will be unable to do anything but run, jump and taunt for a short while. The user is immune to the potion unless it is reflected.

Cake
1617993132627.png

Another item from Fat Princess. Similar to Special Flag in Smash, picking this item will force the user into a lengthy animation where they triumphantly raise the slice above their head and gobble it. If uninterrupted, it will grant the player a hefty amount of AP/health (depending on which one we're using). If Fat Princess herself is playable, the cakes that appear in her animations will have a different design to prevent confusion (and she may use this item faster than the rest of the cast).

Last edited:

Speed Weed

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-1814-1029-3514
Job 8: PS3 Boomerang Controller
what-if-sony-stuck-with-the-ps3s-boomerang-controller-20081201033209544-000.jpg

Aight, so I like how Smash has the Super Scope as an item. I think it's a fun idea to bring in a piece of hardware from the company's history and turn it into, like, a weapon. And I'm a full proponent of us getting something like that for a PSAS2. But will we go with an actually fondly-remembered item, or even one that's been released?

Hell no.

Because what we have, standing here, is literally the best possible item they could add for a PSAS2. It's the ****ing PS3 boomerang controller. You just throw it and it comes back to you like a boomerang. We've gotta add it man. It's the best thing. You think Sony wouldn't reference a scrapped controller with a weird design? Guess what? It got a cameo in Astro's Playroom. Checkmate, atheists.

This is not a joke submission. I will get the Boomerang Controller into this game by any means possible, even if it costs me a kidney.

Doc Monocle

Smash Ace
Pretty simple and self explanatory if you've played the Ratchet & Clank games. This item looks like a disco ball and when you pick it up, you throw it like a projectile. It doesn't do a lot of damage, but it will play some music and opponents that are near it will start to dance and can't attack.
Job 8

Forgefire

This is a weapons from Horizon Zero Dawn. This weapon functions exactly like a Flamethrower would. It deals a lot of fire chip damage but it is very close range and deals no knockback.
Job #8: Disc Launcher (Horizon)

I wanted to suggest an item from Horizon: Zero Dawn since its abundance of weapons lends itself well to this job. But we haven't added Aloy to the roster yet (though I expect that we probably will soon since she's a no-brainer), so I don't want to add a weapon that she'd use in her moveset. Lo-and-behold, the Disc Launcher. The Disc Launcher isn't a normal, equipable weapon in Zero Dawn, but rather, it's a pick-up with limited ammo that Aloy can take from a Thunderjaw. With all the weapons that she uses and the new ones she'll probably get in Forbidden West I hope this one won't be missed when making a moveset.

The Disc Launcher would be an epic item (if we're still using that classification). It can fire 8 energy discs that move very slowly but deal massive damage and explode on contact. As in the original game, it would slow down its wielder's movement, so it makes for a high risk/high reward weapon.
Job #8: First-Party Items

Not sure if we're allowed to suggest more than one item. If not, I'll just delete one of them.

Magic Potion
View attachment 310675
An item from Fat Princess. When thrown, any allies or foes within a certain area of the potion will be turned into chickens and will be unable to do anything but run, jump and taunt for a short while. The user is immune to the potion unless it is reflected.

Cake
View attachment 310678
Another item from Fat Princess. Similar to Special Flag in Smash, picking this item will force the user into a lengthy animation where they triumphantly raise the slice above their head and gobble it. If uninterrupted, it will grant the player a hefty amount of AP/health (depending on which one we're using). If Fat Princess herself is playable, the cakes that appear in her animations will have a different design to prevent confusion (and she may use this item faster than the rest of the cast).
Job 8: PS3 Boomerang Controller
View attachment 310679
Aight, so I like how Smash has the Super Scope as an item. I think it's a fun idea to bring in a piece of hardware from the company's history and turn it into, like, a weapon. And I'm a full proponent of us getting something like that for a PSAS2. But will we go with an actually fondly-remembered item, or even one that's been released?

Hell no.

Because what we have, standing here, is literally the best possible item they could add for a PSAS2. It's the ****ing PS3 boomerang controller. You just throw it and it comes back to you like a boomerang. We've gotta add it man. It's the best thing. You think Sony wouldn't reference a scrapped controller with a weird design? Guess what? It got a cameo in Astro's Playroom. Checkmate, atheists.

This is not a joke submission. I will get the Boomerang Controller into this game by any means possible, even if it costs me a kidney.
Job 8
Jet Baby

Jet Baby is somewhat similar to the Hotocate Bomb from Smash, rising off the screen and back down to Earth - however, she doesn't explode and instead picks up anyone who gets too close and delivers a powerful piledriver.

Last edited:

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280
Quick question: Is there a fourth party rule, like there is for Smash? Because Spiderman is one of the biggest games on the PS4.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
PeridotGX PeridotGX From the OP:
For the purposes of this, we’ll assume that all of the developers within Sony, and the third party companies that we ask, are okay with having their characters included, though for simplicity’s sake, we’re just sticking with characters that are owned by video game companies. I can’t see Disney allowing Spider-Man to be included in PlayStation All-Stars 2 without some massive strings attached. (as seen with games like Deadpool, Marvel vs. Capcom 2, etc. only being on digital storefronts for a few years before being removed)

Yokta

That's Yoktastic!
Job #8:
Hero Mask Shubabassa
Shubabassa.png

The Hero Masks from Patapon 2 are special items that dramatically affect the power of your Heropon. Each family of mask comes with its own power, but we'll be using the ultimate mask of the Shuba family since it's the default mask.
Shubabassa grants the wearer frightening attack speed. In PlayStation All-Stars, wearing the mask dramatically reduces your attacks' startup time and allows you to cancel the end-lag into another attack!
Attacks with cooldowns will also recharge twice as fast.
If you're familiar with Vishera's instant attack Smash Ultimate mods, wearing Shubabassa would feel similar to that, although the speed boost wouldn't be that massive.

This is an obvious item that deserves to be included, but I have my own suggestions for how it should work.
While it's true that enemies under the influence of the Groovitron will dance, it doesn't inherently stop its targets from attacking.
This is demonstrated in the remake's Captain Qwark fight, where he actually uses a Groovitron against Ratchet. This does stop Ratchet from using his guns, but he can still jump and move while pirouetting, in order to strike the Groovitron with his wrench and destroy it.
The lesson there is that it's not fun to take away a player's ability to do anything about being stunned by a Groovitron. It would be too easy if they could simply move out of range. Perhaps instead, it could keep them in their current position and force them to automatically throw out a normal jab, short hop and/or spot dodge in time with the beat. In fact, that would be a good way of subtly teaching casuals the importance of whiff punishing, since they would always be vulnerable on the off-beat.

Wario Wario Wario

Smash Legend
Job 8
Jet Baby

Jet Baby is somewhat similar to the Hotocate Bomb from Smash, rising off the screen and back down to Earth - however, she doesn't explode and instead picks up anyone who gets too close and delivers a powerful piledriver.

Last edited:

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
Changing the controls got the most votes, so we'll go with that. When it comes to the basic attacks, Square is for quick attacks, Triangle is for power attacks, and Circle is for special attacks (those seem like the most relevant parts for picking a moveset; like I said, I'm not going to be going super in-depth on this). While I don't think Super moves would be impacted by this change, basic attacks might, so since the control scheme is changing, I'm going to put this to a poll for the three veterans who didn't go through design changes.

Sackboy: https://www.strawpoll.me/42923955 For reference, Sackboy's moves (square = melee attacks; triangle = items like jetpacks; circle generally seems to be traps)
Nathan Drake: https://www.strawpoll.me/42923958 Nathan's original moves (square = melee attacks; triangle = guns; circle is mostly obstacles)
PaRappa: https://www.strawpoll.me/42923962 PaRappa's original moves (square = melee attacks; triangle = using the skateboard as a weapon; circle = microphone and boombox)

Much like usual, we'll vote for our top three item nominations; the two with the highest votes will get into the game, and you can only have your own nomination in third.

-Groovitron (Ratchet and Clank) ( CapitaineCrash CapitaineCrash )
-Forgefire (Horizon: Zero Dawn) ( cashregister9 cashregister9 )
-Disc Launcher (Horizon: Zero Dawn) ( GoodGrief741 GoodGrief741 )
-Magic Potion (Fat Princess) ( osby osby )
-Cake (Fat Princess) ( osby osby )
-PS3 Boomerang Controller (hardware) ( Speed Weed Speed Weed )
-Hero Mask Shubabassa (Patapon) ( Yokta Yokta )
-Jet Baby (PaRappa the Rapper) ( Wario Wario Wario Wario Wario Wario )

Sorry, osby - I didn't think to specify the amount of items that you could submit. I'll allow it in this case, though.

My votes will be:

1. PS3 Boomerang Controller
2. Groovitron
3. Magic Potion

Last edited:

Wario Wario Wario

Smash Legend
Jet Baby is from PaRappa.

Anyway:
1. Boomerang
2. Groovitron
3. Jet Baby

Edit: I accidentally voted for "No" on the PaRappa moveset poll when I meant to choose "Yes", please keep this in mind when tallying.

Edit 2: Actually, it seems I did vote "Yes" and StrawPoll is just lagging behind. Sorry for the confusion.

Last edited:

osby

Smash Obsessed
Job 8 votes:

1. PS3 Boomerang Controller. This one was just too good to pass. It's both unique and a cute reference.
  2. Forgefire. Horizon Zero Dawn can use an item and every fighter having their own flamethrowers sounds rad as hell.
  3. Magic Potion. I was going to go with Groovitron but if every previous item (minus Murder of Crows) is going to return, Ratchet & Clank already has more items than any other series so I wanted to give it a bit more variety.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
Jet Baby is from PaRappa.
Thanks; I tried doing an image search, but it didn't bring up anything useful. (there was a picture of PaRappa in there, but I chalked it up to being similar art styles since I couldn't find anything on the PaRappa Wiki's characters section)

Doc Monocle

Smash Ace
1. Cake

2. Groovitron

3. Forgefire.

The scores as of post #146 are...

PS3 Boomerang contoller: 15

Groovitron: 11

Cake: 6

Forgefire: 5

Potion: 2

Jet Baby: 1

Hero Mask: 1

Last edited:

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
Seeing as it's been about a day since voting started, I feel like it's safe to move on. The final results are:
-Disc Launcher: 0
-Magic Potion: 2
-Hero Mask Shubabassa: 2
-Jet Baby: 3
-Forgefire: 5
-Cake: 6
-Groovitron: 14
-PS3 Boomerang Controller: 16

So, as a result, the PS3 Boomerang Controller and the Groovitron will be included in the game!

Going by the Straw Polls, none of the veterans (not counting Kratos, who's undergone a revamp) will be having their movesets changed, which simplifies things.

Speaking of which, now we can move on to our next job, which is defining Kratos's moveset. Like I said before, you can write out basic attacks (which fall into the category of Square for light/quick attacks, Triangle for heavy/slow attacks, and Circle for specials) and/or his three Super Moves.

CapitaineCrash CapitaineCrash already nominated a moveset idea for Kratos before we decided to vote on the changes that were being made to the controls; I don't think it needs much, if any, changing to fit the established control scheme (not sure if the axe and Blades of Chaos attacks would need to switch places - the axe attacks are described as being more powerful, but the Blades of Chaos attacks have a longer range), but that's up to CapitaineCrash.
This one is hard because as much as I love the latest God of war, I don't want to totally forget Kratos origins. I try to do a moveset that focus more on God of war ps4, but still have some references to the Greek era games.

7A) Basic moves

-Square attacks: Those one will focus on attack with his axe. Those attacks are very powerful, but have a more limited range. The neutral square is a 3 hit combo with his axe. The side-square is a more slow but powerful moves (similar to the R2 attacks in the ps4 game). Down square is a fast slash downward and up-square is an uppercut-like move that can combo.
-Triangle attacks: Those will focus on attacks with the blade of chaos. It has longer range, but it his weaker. The moves are pretty much unchanged from his square moves in the original games (but please nerf them). One thing to note it's that there would be some lag if Kratos change weapons. For example, if your last move was a square moves with the axe, and you want to do a triangle moves, Kratos have a small animations where he change weapons. This gives Kratos a hard time to do huge combo (for example he couldn't do a close range attack with the axe and follow up immediately at long range with the blades)
-Circle: Those are projectiles and miscellanous items. Neutral-circle is the axe throw. It can freeze the opponent for a short time. In this game the axe come back immediately like a boomerang (you don't need to press the button again). Side circle is Hermes boots. You can charge it and Kratos charge and give small damage to enemies. Down circle is the shiels from God of war ps4. It works like a counter, Kratos spawns the shield for a very brief moments and if the enemy hits you at this moment, Kratos punches him with the shield. It can also reflects most projectiles. Up circle is Icarus wings and works like it did in the first game.

7B) Super moves

Level 1: Divine absolution: same one that he had in the first game (but again nerfed)
Level 2: Wrath of the wolf: Atreus appears and shoot 2 arrows that transforms into runic wolves. The wolves run around and attack other players.
Level 3: Spartan rage: This is a transformation super move. Similar to the ps4 game, Kratos becomes way faster and more powerful, but he only attack with his fist. It doesn't heal him (unlike in the ps4 God of war game).

Last edited:

Yokta

That's Yoktastic!
I'm not familiar with any version of God of War, so I don't have any suggestions for his revamped moveset.

Perhaps instead I could discuss my ideas for the main single player mode?
The original game had a mediocre story mode, giving each character a samey campaign of battles with a cheap intro and outro, a terrible boss fight and a single cutscene with their rival that ranged from ironically hilarious to just plain stupid.
I think the new All-Stars should have a brand new story mode akin to Subspace Emissary, but the original model could also return as this game's Classic Mode. It could serve as each character's prologue to the main campaign.
I won't go into too much detail so as not to distract from today's topic, but if we want to set aside a day for discussing Story Mode, I would have a lot to talk about.

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
I haven’t been too much involved in the project but I’m ready to submit my baby, Chimera, whenever we have a submission period. It’s a travesty they were regulated to only a background element previously.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
I'm not familiar with any version of God of War, so I don't have any suggestions for his revamped moveset.

Perhaps instead I could discuss my ideas for the main single player mode?
The original game had a mediocre story mode, giving each character a samey campaign of battles with a cheap intro and outro, a terrible boss fight and a single cutscene with their rival that ranged from ironically hilarious to just plain stupid.
I think the new All-Stars should have a brand new story mode akin to Subspace Emissary, but the original model could also return as this game's Classic Mode. It could serve as each character's prologue to the main campaign.
I won't go into too much detail so as not to distract from today's topic, but if we want to set aside a day for discussing Story Mode, I would have a lot to talk about.
Sounds good - I was planning to discuss single player modes (or at least Classic/Arcade mode) later on once we had a larger roster. I wasn't sure if people would want to go with several options for final bosses like what Smash Bros. Ultimate does, and I figured it'd be best to wait until we got more third party characters locked down in case someone wanted to nominate Safer Sephiroth, Mundus, or Nemesis as one of the final bosses, as some examples. (I figure they couldn't be added unless we got Cloud, Dante, and a Resident Evil character (Jill would make the most sense in terms of someone that would fight Nemesis), respectively)

I hadn't considered a Subspace-style story mode, but it does seem worth discussing - I just figure it's best to wait until we've got more details locked down first (like the playable roster, the classic/arcade mode, and whether or not the game will have collectibles like how Smash has trophies/spirits).

Last edited:

CapitaineCrash

Smash Champion
I'm glad people liked my idea of the groovitron! I was thinking about it more and I was thinking that every character in the roster could have a different dance style. This would help give them more personnality (someting that was very lacking for the first game).

CapitaineCrash CapitaineCrash already nominated a moveset idea for Kratos before we decided to vote on the changes that were being made to the controls; I don't think it needs much, if any, changing to fit the established control scheme (not sure if the axe and Blades of Chaos attacks would need to switch places - the axe attacks are described as being more powerful, but the Blades of Chaos attacks have a longer range), but that's up to CapitaineCrash.
Yes, I'm going to keep the same moveset, but switch the blade of chaos moves back to square and the axe moves to triangle. Circle stays the same.

Also, since Yokta is talking about solo content, I was thinking that when we will have the full roster we can gives idea for new rivalry cutscences? Those were pretty fun (although some of them were a bit awkward), so it would be fun to mix them up and see what we could do with the new characters.

Last edited:

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
I'm glad people liked my idea of the groovitron! I was thinking about it more and I was thinking that every character in the roster could have a different dance style. This would help give them more personnality (someting that was very lacking for the first game).

Yes, I'm going to keep the same moveset, but switch the blade of chaos moves back to square and the axe moves to triangle. Circle stays the same.

Also, since Yokta is talking about solo content, I was thinking that when we will have the full roster we can gives idea for new rivalry cutscences? Those were pretty fun (although some of them were a bit awkward), so it would be fun to mix them up and see what we could do with the new characters.
I am hoping to discuss rivalries/rivalry cutscenes at some point down the line - while some of the examples from the original didn't make much sense (Evil Cole vs. Fat Princess - the ultimate rivalry), some of them were a lot of fun (Ratchet vs. Jak, Sackboy vs. Big Daddy...). Plus, it allows character to interact in a way that Smash Bros. doesn't really take advantage of outside of the Subspace Emissary. (how cool would it be if Mario and Sonic actually got to share a scene together?)

---

For Kratos's moveset, CapitaineCrash CapitaineCrash wins by default! Lesson learned, I suppose - if I'm having people decide on something technical like movesets, I'll also include something more casual/fun alongside it.

Today's first job will be Crash Bandicoot's moveset. Like with Kratos, you can decide on his basic attacks (Square = light/fast, Triangle = heavy/slow, Circle = special) and/or his Super moves.

The second job will be nominations for an RPG character. Even though the PlayStation systems are well-known for RPGs, the original PSASBR didn't have any RPG characters. Some of this could be chalked up to difficulties with negotiating with third party companies, though even some first party RPG characters didn't make it in. (Dart from the Legend of Dragoon had concept art, at least)

You can still nominate a character if they were nominated for a previous category but didn't make it in (examples in this case include Yu Narukami from Persona 4 and Tidus from Final Fantasy X). If we get ten or more nominations (though that number might be subject to change - if we get eight or nine, that might be close enough), we'll include the top two characters.

It's worth noting that there might be some gray area with RPGs - turn-based RPGs like Final Fantasy, strategy RPGs like Disgaea, action RPGs like Skyrim... I feel like a lot of nominations are going to fall into categories like these, though there might be some cases where you could be asked to explain why it's an RPG. (I've seen people say that the Yakuza games before Yakuza 7 were also RPGs, though in my experience, they're more like beat-em-ups)

Last edited:

osby

Smash Obsessed
I am hoping to discuss rivalries/rivalry cutscenes at some point down the line - while some of the examples from the original didn't make much sense (Evil Cole vs. Fat Princess - the ultimate rivalry), some of them were a lot of fun (Ratchet vs. Jak, Sackboy vs. Big Daddy...).
Tbh, that was one of my favorite rivalries. I loved how despite the obvious differences between the characters, they were both originally well-meaning people corrupted by their own greed.

Anyway, here's my RPG Newcomer Nomination: The Hunter from Bloodborne (2015)

1618228436338.png

The Hunter is the player character of the Souls-like gothic horror action RPG Bloodborne. They are an outsider to the city of Yharnam, a place plagued by an epidemic that turns people into nightmarish beasts. Their objective for most of the game is descending to the depths of the city in order to find a way of escape.

Aside from coming from arguably PS4's first must-have game; The Hunter also has a lot of moveset potential with their numerous firearms, Trick Weapons that can take different forms like scythes and staves, blood transfusions that allow them to regain health with counterattacks, Visceral Attacks that cause their hand to become a giant claw, and more. While their personality and background aren't set in stone but their character interactions can depict them as a silent, single-minded person who, similar to Isaac Clarke in the first game, treats fights as a life-or-death situation. Obviously, both gender options would be available as alternative costumes.

Yokta

That's Yoktastic!
I think Crash could make use of the Quantum Masks in his moveset. I've sorted them into his special attacks, but we could also put them elsewhere in his moveset if they'd work better as a power attack.

🟦🔴 Akane Death Tornado
A long, sustained spin that slows Crash's falling speed. Slightly more damaging than the standard spin, but very affective at breaking a guard.
↔🔴 Kupuna Wa Dash Spin
Crash slows time and runs ahead while spinning. From our perspective, Crash appears to rush forward nearly instantaneously, leaving a trail of afterimages behind him. This move won't move Crash off of a ledge, and it has a downward trajectory when used in the air.
⬇🔴Lani-Loli Phase Flip
Crash briefly blips out of the current dimension and pops out nearby, depending on the direction Crash tilts the stick. This move works similarly to Meta-Knight's Dimensional Cape; it has less horizontal range and no vertical range, but less end-lag.
⬆🔴Ika-Ika Anti-Flop
Crash performs a belly flop while falling upwards. The move has impressive power and range, but can only travel straight up with no horizontal adjustment. Press Circle again to stop the move prematurely, or collide with a ceiling for a powerful shockwave.

While this would give his specials a cohesive theme, my concern is that they're not Crash enough to be his specials. In my opinion, Specials should represent as much of a character as possible, and I feel like more could be done with Crash's moveset. But that's all I can think of right now.

CapitaineCrash

Smash Champion
For the rpg newcomer I'm going to nominate Cloud Strife from Final fantasy 7

At first I wanted to nominate something else than Cloud because I wanted something different than Smash bros, but thining about it I think that Cloud should be the FF rep. FF7 was huge on the ps1 and the remake was timed exclusive on playstation 4 and at this point I would say he's by far the most popular FF characters. Most of his attacks would be with his huge sword, but he can also use magic.

TheThingamajigRayman

Smash Journeyman
Okay, I tried to make a moveset for Crash. Key word here: tried. Hopefully someone else can make a decent moveset for the bandicoot.

RPG Newcomer: Dragonborn (or Dovahkiin)
So why, why Dragonborn from the Elder Scrolls? Well, he hails from Skyrim, one of the Top 10 best selling RPG's of ALL TIME. And I think he'd be a unique and cool addition to the roster. As for Sony relevance, not sure if he has any besides Elder Scrolls being on PlayStation systems. However, as Isaac Clarke shows, you don't really need any (Unless I'm missing something?). So, yes, I want the Dovahkiin on this roster. (Todd Howard forced me to write this.)

Last edited:

ivanlerma

Smash Champion
Our first job will be voting for the three veterans that will be included in the announcement. Aside from Kratos, the veterans include (in order of their first appearance):

• Heihachi Mishima (Tekken)
  • Sweet Tooth (Twisted Metal)
  • PaRappa the Rapper
  • Sir Daniel Fortesque (MediEvil)
  • Spike (Ape Escape)
  • Toro (Doko Demo Issyo)
  • Dante (Devil May Cry) (much like with Kratos, if he gets in, we’d vote on what game he’d be based on)
  • Raiden (Metal Gear)
  • Jak and Daxter
  • Sly Cooper
  • Ratchet and Clank
  • Zeus (God of War)
  • Big Daddy (BioShock)
  • Nariko (Heavenly Sword)
  • Nathan Drake (Uncharted)
  • Isaac Clarke (Dead Space)
  • Sackboy (LittleBigPlanet)
  • Colonel Radec (Killzone)
  • Cole McGrath (inFamous)
  • Evil Cole McGrath (inFamous)
  • Fat Princess
  • Kat (Gravity Rush)
  • Emmett Graves (Starhawk)

Each person will vote for three characters, with their first choice getting three points, their second choice getting two points, and their third choice getting one point. The top three characters overall will be in the announcement trailer along with Kratos.

To give an example, my vote would be:

-Dante
-Heihachi
-Nathan Drake

That would mean that Dante (from any Devil May Cry game, not just the reboot) would get 3 points, Heihachi gets 2 points, and Nathan Drake gets 1 point. I’ll see how much interest there is in this topic, but I’ll give it roughly a day or two for people to vote.

Also, you can vote here to determine whether Kratos will be based on the games set in Greek mythology or the games set in Norse mythology: https://www.strawpoll.me/42885693
Spike
Big Daddy
Sly Cooper

Edit: Ooph, Didn't knew the veterans were over and done with right now.

Last edited:

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280
Terra Branford - Final Fantasy 6

Poking fun at how Nintendo has representation from the most Sony game in the series, I though it might be interesting to add a character from the NES/SNES era, and nobody would be better for that role than Terra. She can do... stuff, probably. I haven't played FF6 yet.

Last edited:

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Lot of great suggestions so far, but since Sony owns a lot of great RPGs from the fifth generation, I'd like to suggest a first party one.

Dart (The Legend of Dragoon)

It was pretty hard to pick one, Sony absolutely dominated in this genre at some point with classics like Alundra, Rogue Galaxy, Dark Cloud, and Wild ARMS. But it makes sense that the first RPG character is the one that almost made it in last time, fix the sins of the past and all that.

Anyway, Dart. Dart is a warrior from the fantasy world of Endiness who gains the ability to transform into a Dragoon, which is basically a winged, armored super form that grants him access to additional spells. Aside from that, well, he's your standard JRPG hero with average stats for everything and wields swords and magic, with a specialty in fire magic.

Dart would make a worthy addition because it would send a message to fans that PSAS isn't just about promoting the new hotness, but also some unexpected deep cuts. From what I've seen online, people see Dart's omission as a huge missed opportunity, and as a fan of PS1-era RPGs I wholeheartedly agree.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
Spike
Big Daddy
Sly Cooper

Edit: Ooph, Didn't knew the veterans were over and done with right now.
Yep, though the next category should give the opportunity to bring back one of those characters. (though there will be plenty of other opportunities, and depending on how things go, I might have another voting round for veterans)

We're currently nominating RPG characters and moveset ideas for Crash Bandicoot, if you have any picks/suggestions for those.

Top Bottom