• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smashboards Creates: Mighty Marvel Melee - A Marvel Comics Platform Fighter

Include Megadoomer's comic panal idea?

• Yes

Votes: 4 100.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
Food

Seems pretty straightforward - it's food. I'm not sure if it would be possible, but it would be a nice detail if certain foods healed specific characters more, so if Spider-Man ate a plate of wheatcakes (which I think are basically pancakes? Not sure), or Captain America ate apple pie, or Deadpool ate a chimichanga, they'd recover slightly more health compared to other foods.

There could also be more standard things like steak, hot dogs, pizza, apples, bananas, salad, drinks (nothing alcoholic, much to Wolverine's annoyance, since several characters are underage), etc.

...then again, maybe some of these wouldn't be options, or wouldn't spawn when a character is being played as, in case certain characters can't or won't eat certain foods - I'm probably over-thinking this, but while the Thing might not strictly follow what is or isn't kosher, I feel like some other characters would follow religious guidelines or personal beliefs such as vegetarianism or veganism. (I'm assuming that if someone who doesn't need/can't eat food, like Ultron, gets in, they'd still be able to use it as a healing item for simplicity's sake)

Last edited:

osby

Smash Obsessed
If moveset submissions are constantly open, I'd like to suggest one for Nico. She's one of my favorite Marvel characters and her powers are really interesting.

Nico Minoru

Up Special:
Take Flight. Nico surrounds herself with a spectral swarm of bats and rises into the air, her trajectory being fairly controllable for a few seconds. Despite granting her a high recovery distance, this move has no hitbox at all, which makes it risky to use. On the positive note, this is the only move that sends her into a freefall and this can be nullified if she cancels it into another of her specials mid-flight.

Side Special: Failsafe. Nico levitates her staff in front of her and spins it with a hand gesture. If any attack connects with the staff during this animation, the staff's protection mechanism activates, blocking the attack and retaliating with a powerful scarlet blast of energy. If the attack is a projectile, it will simply be reflected and its ownership will be transferred to Nico.

Down Special: Blood Sacrifice. Nico runs her thumb through her Staff of One, dealing herself a small amount of damage at the cost of charging her Assist/Super gauges slightly and significantly increasing her lackluster physical attack power. Nico can use this move normally five times per stock, then which its cost will increase drastically.

Neutral Special: Staff of One. Nico closes her eyes and holds her staff in front of herself and then casts a spell with a shouted incantation. The four available spells once she uses them appear around her in symbols and can be chosen with directional inputs. If the special button is tapped instead of held, she's swiftly casts a random spell. Nico has 22 spells available for this move which are the following:
  1. Hot to Touch! Nico shoots a fireball from her staff which sets anyone it touches on fire and creates a burning barrier if lands on the ground.
  2. Baptism with Thunder! Nico shoots a ball of electricity from her staff which shocks anyone it touches in place and hits multiple times.
  3. Sub-Zero! Nico shoots a small volley of icicles that freezes opponents in place.
  4. Sticky Fingers! Nico creates a large puddle of sticky goo under her feet that slows down opponents.
  5. You See Me Now! Nico temporarily becomes invisible and takes reduced damage from attacks.
  6. Fireworks! Nico shoots a magic projectile that curves upward and vacuums opponents before exploding.
  7. Gotta Go Quick! Nico gains a pair of wings on her ankles and temporarily increases her ground speed and jump height.
  8. Birthday Girl! Nico creates a large, wrapped present, which gives an item if she opens it but explodes if an enemy touches it.
  9. Jetpack! Nico creates a jetpack on her back and rapidly flies diagonally upward, knocking away enemies along her way.
  10. Stockholm! Nico creates a pink vortex in front of her. If it hits an opponent, it summons their assist character to her aid.
  11. Sweet Dreams Made of This! Nico creates a blue vortex in front of her. If it hits an opponent, it sends them to sleep.
  12. Do Not Enter! Nico creates a barrier around her that reflects projectiles.
  13. Watch Out, Magic School Bus! Nico creates a portal in the air, which drops a small school bus after a short wait, acting as a heavy projectile.
  14. It's Cold Out There! Nico shoots a beam that creates a comically large snow hat on anyone it hits, slowing them and growing their hitbox.
  15. Safety Hazard! Nico turns the platform she stands on into a trap. The first character that steps on it will drop down with a weak spike.
  16. I Hate Dolls! Nico creates a toy clown which slowly moves forward and stops an attack.
  17. I'll Take That! Nico creates a spectral hand that swipes ahead, stealing any items an opponent might be holding (or their health, if they don't).
  18. Medkit! Nico heals herself slightly.
  19. Time Capsule! Nico swings her staff. In the next match, she'll start with a random item.
  20. Throwing Darts to Map! Nico teleports into a random location on the stage. It is more likely to carry her to safety.
  21. Copycat! Nico shoots a random projectile from another character's moveset.
  22. Metal Fatigue! Nico creates a large cloud that deals looping damage to any character with any metal armor or body parts.
If Nico chooses a spell she used before, the magic fails and she'll get a random detrimental effect, ranging from being trapped in a lengthy animation where her staff shoots bubbles to damaging herself. Then, they'll be removed from her spell pool. If all spells are spent, she'll just shoot a simple, weak magical zap.

Ultimate Attack: Walpurgisnacht. Nico mumbles the incantation for her staff, then shouts "Walpurgisnacht!", holding it forward with two hands as a large, red magic circle appears behind her. Then The Staff of One showers the stage with random dark magic attacks. Burning skulls fall from the sky, platforms turn into lava, dark clouds poison and shadowy beasts attack other players. After she's done, Nico telekinetically gathers all the resulting rubble and crashes it under her, not unlike a magic meteor.

D

Deleted member

If moveset submissions are constantly open, I'd like to suggest one for Nico. She's one of my favorite Marvel characters and her powers are really interesting.

Nico Minoru

Up Special:
Take Flight. Nico surrounds herself with a spectral swarm of bats and rises into the air, her trajectory being fairly controllable for a few seconds. Despite granting her a high recovery distance, this move has no hitbox at all, which makes it risky to use. On the positive note, this is the only move that sends her into a freefall and this can be nullified if she cancels it into another of her specials mid-flight.

Side Special: Failsafe. Nico levitates her staff in front of her and spins it with a hand gesture. If any attack connects with the staff during this animation, the staff's protection mechanism activates, blocking the attack and retaliating with a powerful scarlet blast of energy. If the attack is a projectile, it will simply be reflected and its ownership will be transferred to Nico.

Down Special: Blood Sacrifice. Nico runs her thumb through her Staff of One, dealing herself a small amount of damage at the cost of charging her Assist/Super gauges slightly and significantly increasing her lackluster physical attack power. Nico can use this move normally five times per stock, then which its cost will increase drastically.

Neutral Special: Staff of One. Nico closes her eyes and holds her staff in front of herself and then casts a spell with a shouted incantation. The four available spells once she uses them appear around her in symbols and can be chosen with directional inputs. If the special button is tapped instead of held, she's swiftly casts a random spell. Nico has 22 spells available for this move which are the following:
  1. Hot to Touch! Nico shoots a fireball from her staff which sets anyone it touches on fire and creates a burning barrier if lands on the ground.
  2. Baptism with Thunder! Nico shoots a ball of electricity from her staff which shocks anyone it touches in place and hits multiple times.
  3. Sub-Zero! Nico shoots a small volley of icicles that freezes opponents in place.
  4. Sticky Fingers! Nico creates a large puddle of sticky goo under her feet that slows down opponents.
  5. You See Me Now! Nico temporarily becomes invisible and takes reduced damage from attacks.
  6. Fireworks! Nico shoots a magic projectile that curves upward and vacuums opponents before exploding.
  7. Gotta Go Quick! Nico gains a pair of wings on her ankles and temporarily increases her ground speed and jump height.
  8. Birthday Girl! Nico creates a large, wrapped present, which gives an item if she opens it but explodes if an enemy touches it.
  9. Jetpack! Nico creates a jetpack on her back and rapidly flies diagonally upward, knocking away enemies along her way.
  10. Stockholm! Nico creates a pink vortex in front of her. If it hits an opponent, it summons their assist character to her aid.
  11. Sweet Dreams Made of This! Nico creates a blue vortex in front of her. If it hits an opponent, it sends them to sleep.
  12. Do Not Enter! Nico creates a barrier around her that reflects projectiles.
  13. Watch Out, Magic School Bus! Nico creates a portal in the air, which drops a small school bus after a short wait, acting as a heavy projectile.
  14. It's Cold Out There! Nico shoots a beam that creates a comically large snow hat on anyone it hits, slowing them and growing their hitbox.
  15. Safety Hazard! Nico turns the platform she stands on into a trap. The first character that steps on it will drop down with a weak spike.
  16. I Hate Dolls! Nico creates a toy clown which slowly moves forward and stops an attack.
  17. I'll Take That! Nico creates a spectral hand that swipes ahead, stealing any items an opponent might be holding (or their health, if they don't).
  18. Medkit! Nico heals herself slightly.
  19. Time Capsule! Nico swings her staff. In the next match, she'll start with a random item.
  20. Throwing Darts to Map! Nico teleports into a random location on the stage. It is more likely to carry her to safety.
  21. Copycat! Nico shoots a random projectile from another character's moveset.
  22. Metal Fatigue! Nico creates a large cloud that deals looping damage to any character with any metal armor or body parts.
If Nico chooses a spell she used before, the magic fails and she'll get a random detrimental effect, ranging from being trapped in a lengthy animation where her staff shoots bubbles to damaging herself. Then, they'll be removed from her spell pool. If all spells are spent, she'll just shoot a simple, weak magical zap.

Ultimate Attack: Walpurgisnacht. Nico mumbles the incantation for her staff, then shouts "Walpurgisnacht!", holding it forward with two hands as a large, red magic circle appears behind her. Then The Staff of One showers the stage with random dark magic attacks. Burning skulls fall from the sky, platforms turn into lava, dark clouds poison and shadowy beasts attack other players. After she's done, Nico telekinetically gathers all the resulting rubble and crashes it under her, not unlike a magic meteor.
Movesets are allways open! They're kind of first come first serve. This is really good!

D

Deleted member

Food will be our healing item!

Submit event matches
We added this mode forever ago and I felt it was time we got around to it. Submit an event match. These will be based off iconic and pop moments in the Marvel Canon, or just general concepts. These can unlock costumes, comic covers and trading cards. Submit up to 5 events. we could have a good number of these.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
I'm assuming these will use premade decks unless stated otherwise, like how Smash generally forces character selection for events. (assuming we're still going with the panel/deck system) I might put some characters/supports in here that aren't in the game yet to help fill space, though they could easily be changed if needed.

1. The Doctor is Out!

Playing as Ms. Marvel against villainous doctors (Dr. Doom, Dr. Octopus, etc.) on Jersey City. Ms. Marvel starts out damaged, and the goal is to use healing items (such as food or anything that gets added later) to get her back to full health. The AI isn't particularly aggressive.

Champions deck.png
VS.
evil doctors deck.png

2. Civil War

Choose your side! Pick between a pro-registration-themed deck and an anti-registration themed deck, and battle the one that you didn't pick on the Helicarrier.

cap deck.png
VS.
iron man deck.png

3. Ultimate Destruction

The concept is simple - you're the Hulk, so smash everyone else. Hell's Kitchen could work for this, unless a more fitting stage is added later.

hulk solo.png
VS.
avengers deck.png
and possibly another deck so you're fighting two CPU players at once (I don't want to throw in a bunch of characters that aren't playable)

4. Infinity Gauntlet

Using a deck of your choice, take on a Thanos who starts with the Infinity Gauntlet on the Multiverse stage (or some other space-themed stage). Keep him from getting ahold of the gems/stones!

Your Choice vs.
infinity gauntlet.png

(Thanos didn't have many allies in the original comic, though having this many 1-panel characters would give him a bunch of passive buffs)

5. Settling the Score

Wolverine's first appearance had him fighting the Hulk, and they've duked it out plenty of times since then. Might as well continue that tradition here! (as of now, the Savage Land stage seems like the best fit)

wolverine deck.png
VS.
hulks deck.png

I realize I probably don't have to put decks in here, but it helps me with picturing the event.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

MegaDoomer's submissions get in. I may submit some in future.

Submit a 2010's fighter
The last of these decade rounds. Submit a character from 2010 to 2020. However. Since I expect a lower turn out in this round I'm also going to alow characters created in 2021 and 2022.

My submission:

Miss America
A super strong heorine who can travel the Multiverse. She's set to make her MCU debut this year.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
Assuming that Psylocke and the Winter Soldier are any indication, I should be able to nominate this character; if not, let me know and I can change my pick.

Captain Marvel (Carol Danvers - took on the identity in 2012)

Carol has been around for quite a while, whether it's as a supporting character to Mar-Vell in the 60's or as Ms. Marvel from the 70's onward, but the 2010's saw her take on a new superhero name and getting a significantly increased presence in the Marvel universe, going from a third-stringer Avenger to one of the headliners of the comics and movies. While that exposure can come with its issues (some people still haven't forgiven her for her actions in Civil War 2), Carol getting the title of Captain Marvel is a pretty big deal both in and out of universe, with other characters (such as Ms. Marvel) being inspired by her, and her solo movie doing insanely well.

Captain Marvel has the standard flying brick powerset (flight, super strength/speed/durability), along with being able to absorb and fire energy. Aside from the Avengers, she's worked with the Guardians of the Galaxy and Alpha Flight, along with forming the Ultimates, a cosmic problem-solving team that also included Black Panther, Monica Rambeau, America Chavez, Blue Marvel, and Galactus: Devourer of Worlds. Plus, with Ms. Marvel in the game, it seems like we should add Captain Marvel at some point.

---

Plenty of characters either debuted in this decade-plus (such as Miles Morales as Spider-Man, Sam Alexander as Nova, Gorr the God Butcher, or Spider-Gwen), or took on new identities (such as Sam Wilson as Captain America or Jane Foster as Thor) - hopefully lists like this can help:

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

MegaDoomer's submissions get in. I may submit some in future.

Submit a 2010's fighter
The last of these decade rounds. Submit a character from 2010 to 2020. However. Since I expect a lower turn out in this round I'm also going to alow characters created in 2021 and 2022.

My submission:

Miss America
A super strong heorine who can travel the Multiverse. She's set to make her MCU debut this year.
Assuming that Psylocke and the Winter Soldier are any indication, I should be able to nominate this character; if not, let me know and I can change my pick.

Captain Marvel (Carol Danvers - took on the identity in 2012)

Carol has been around for quite a while, whether it's as a supporting character to Mar-Vell in the 60's or as Ms. Marvel from the 70's onward, but the 2010's saw her take on a new superhero name and getting a significantly increased presence in the Marvel universe, going from a third-stringer Avenger to one of the headliners of the comics and movies. While that exposure can come with its issues (some people still haven't forgiven her for her actions in Civil War 2), Carol getting the title of Captain Marvel is a pretty big deal both in and out of universe, with other characters (such as Ms. Marvel) being inspired by her, and her solo movie doing insanely well.

Captain Marvel has the standard flying brick powerset (flight, super strength/speed/durability), along with being able to absorb and fire energy. Aside from the Avengers, she's worked with the Guardians of the Galaxy and Alpha Flight, along with forming the Ultimates, a cosmic problem-solving team that also included Black Panther, Monica Rambeau, America Chavez, Blue Marvel, and Galactus: Devourer of Worlds. Plus, with Ms. Marvel in the game, it seems like we should add Captain Marvel at some point.

---

Plenty of characters either debuted in this decade-plus (such as Miles Morales as Spider-Man, Sam Alexander as Nova, Gorr the God Butcher, or Spider-Gwen), or took on new identities (such as Sam Wilson as Captain America or Jane Foster as Thor) - hopefully lists like this can help:

Moon Girl and Devil Dinosuar

Lunella Lafayette is a super genius and has a partner in the form of Devil Dinosaur
1. Miss America
2. Captain Marvel
3. Moon Girl and Devil Dinosaur

Vote for your favorite

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
Do we pick one, or do we rank them in order? (and can we vote for our own?)

If we can vote for our own, I vote for Captain Marvel because I feel like she's one of about three characters who seems like she needs to be in here. (along with Black Panther and Magneto)

If we can't vote for our own, I'll vote for America.

Out of the remaining two, I'm more familiar with her, since I've read the Ultimates (the Al Ewing version) and Young Avengers.

If we're ranking them, I'd go
1. Captain Marvel
2. America Chavez
3. Moon Girl and Devil Dinosaur

Unless our own can't be in first. (in which case, switch Captain Marvel and America)

I'm probably overthinking all of this, but part of me just wanted to find an excuse to post that panel.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Decided to change it. Vote for your top two. Your own can be in first place.

Last edited by a moderator:

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
In that case...

1. Captain Marvel
2. America Chavez

I will look into comics featuring Moon Girl, though, to get a better idea of why she's considered the smartest person in Marvel's Earth. (and because the idea of a young girl teaming up with what's basically a red T. Rex sounds great)

Last edited:

tonygameman

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-3706-2453-6800
1. Moon Girl and Devil Dinosaur (the latter is quite underrated)
2. Captain Marvel

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

My votes:
1. America Chavies
2. Captain Marvel

America Chavies - 6
Captian Marvel - 8
Moon Girl and Devil Dinosaur - 4

Captain Marvel is our next character!

Submit a shielding / protective assist Character
Submit an assist character who's main objective is protecting their summoner.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047

Virginia "Pepper" Potts/Rescue

The Rescue armour can generate force-fields, but aside from a sonic blast, it isn't designed for combat, so Pepper in this suit seems well-suited for the role of a defensive/protective assist. While active as an assist, Pepper would generate a shield around whoever summoned her that slightly decreases the amount of damage done to them. (with her level 3 support, the shield would last longer and give a bigger defense boost, but there'd be more of a cooldown)

Also, I posted these earlier under spoiler tags, but here are the panels that I made for Captain Marvel:
captain marvel panels.png

Last edited:

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
In case anyone needs suggestions (since it's been more than 24 hours since my last post), there are plenty of characters who could take on a protective/defensive role:

-the Invisible Woman (she could also be playable, though; maybe it's best not to rule her out now)
-Unus the Untouchable
-Baron Mordo
-Clea
-most magic users, really
-Charles Xavier (he can cloak people with his mind)
-The Fixer
-The Tinkerer

If healing's included...

-Elixir
-Thane
-Mister Negative

I could keep going, but I feel like that's a lot as it is. Hopefully this helps to give people ideas.

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280
Support Character: Talos (Captain Marvel)
1649645816696.png

Talos is a very notable Skrull, especially after his appearance in Captain Marvel (2019). His appearance in this game specifically takes after the MCU incarnation of the character, as he has a signature Skrull ability he lacks in the comics: shapeshifting. Simmilar to the Ditto PokeBall Pokemon in Smash, Talos morphs into his summoner. Unlike the Pokemon, however, Talos is a perfect copy, with the only notable difference being that Talos does not speak while transformed. Talos' attacks only deal half of what his summoner's does, he isn't supposed to overwhelm the foe with brawn. His goal is to confuse the foe. Who is the actual player, and who is the Imposter (haha Amogus refrence)? That's the mindgame. Even if Talos gets hit, the UI makes it look like you took damage. You don't, but if the opponent wasn't paying attention to what it was before, the ruse can continue. He's out for about 15 seconds.

D

Deleted member

Vote away.
yhvdvrkpjob1dvtswdfi5fy195xhoy9hbfrsydeeqbb5gcpbchqlljpxybfr_408748_uj7j.jpg

Submit a character who has been playable in a Marvel vs Capcom game
Pretty simple. Submit a character who has been playable in a Marvel Vs. Capcom game (or a Capcom Marvel fighting game in general). Keep it to Marvel characters obviously

Magneto

One of Marvel's most famous villains. He is one of the most used characters in tournament play for MVC2 and 3.

osby

Smash Obsessed
1649679157902.png

Black Panther

The warrior king of Wakanda and one of Marvel's all starts, he was a playable character in Marvel VS Capcom Infinite. Even in a traditional fighter, his wall jump and wall clinging skills were notable so I think he'd make a good fit for a platform fighter. We already have his kingdom as a stage, to boot.

Last edited:

Janx_uwu

Smash Champion
Writing Team
MVC Veteran: Ghost Rider

You...yes, you...your Marvel platfighter roster is fake as f***.
Easily one of the coolest Marvel characters who would feel like a natural addition to MMM. Gameplay-wise, he'd be a mix between Simon/Richter and Captain Falcon.

Last edited:

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
MvC Veteran:

1649683114226.jpeg

That's right, it's Bone Claw Wolverine! Everyone's favourite Marvel vs. Capcom character! Thanks to his bones no longer being bonded with adamantium, he's lighter but faster, and all of his attacks are the same as the original.

...obviously, I'm joking - I just find it funny that they made Bone Claw Wolverine a separate character.

My real nomination:

Ultron

Created by Hank Pym (the original Ant-Man), Ultron was designed to be the next step in artificial intelligence. Unfortunately, Hank had apparently never watched a sci-fi movie, because Ultron almost immediately decided to destroy Hank Pym, the Avengers, and humanity as a whole. (Ultron's original design looking like a fire hydrant on wheels might have played a part in this, though less jokingly, his AI was based off of Hank Pym's brain scans, which has caused both of them tremendous amounts of grief over the years)

Ultron is easily one of the most persistent and dangerous threats that the Avengers have faced - he started out by trying to nuke Manhattan, and his schemes have only increased in scope from there, with accomplishments like destroying an entire country and turning its population into cyborg zombies or taking over a mechanical alien hive mind and using it to carry out his genocidal plans on a universal scale.

EDIT: Here's a visual for who we could add through this prompt:

...and also Bone Claw Wolverine if you really want to.

Last edited:

Oddball

Smash Lord
Shuma Gorath.jpg

Shuma Gorath

A Marvel vs Capcom mainstay

Shuma-Gorath is a demon from an extradimensional realm. He is one of the "Old Ones" who came to Earth untold millions of years ago, ruling it and feasting on mankind's ancestors. Shuma-Gorath would eventually be defeated and sent by to his realm by the new risen god Crom and later again by Crom's most famous follower, Conan the Barbarian. Centuries later, Shuma-Gorath would return and be thwarted when Dr. Strange partially merged with the entity and nearly sacrificed his own life.

Shuma has returned several times in his attempts to conqour and/or devour reality as we know it. Most recently in a conflict involving Dr. Strange, Conan, Doom, the Juggernaut, and a rather unsual line-up of Avengers in their battle against a realty warping sorcerer named Kulan Gath.

Interesting bit of trivia for you. Shuma Gorath was first mentioned by name in a Robert E. Howard story written in 1967. Between then and his apperance in Marvel vs Capcom in 1996 he had less than a dozen actual appearances.

KneeOfJustice99

Smash Champion
the building from smash mouth's astro lounge
Well, time for someone fun!

Character Name: Cyclops
Character Origin: X-Men #1 (1963)
Character Abilities: Optic Blasts

Arguably the field leader of the classic X-Men lineup, Cyclops - also known as Scott Summers - has an interesting role in Marvel vs Capcom - essentially acting as the "face" of Marvel's side, famously shaking hands with the World Warrior himself - Ryu. Unlike a lot of characters, his main ability - firing beams from his eyes - makes him a very solid zoner with a lot of projectile options. However, I'd say he should still be able to throw hands in hand to hand combat, as well as using his incredible power in close-range attacks as required.

I'd say his moveset should be simple to understand, but with a relatively high skill ceiling - making him approachable for newer players and somewhat referencing his shoto role in MVC2. Acting as a jack of all trades, he has a tool for every situation - but he's simple enough for someone to understand at a glance.

And as for alts - well, he's had plenty of designs over the years! Whether we use his classic yellow and black jumpsuit, the belts of his 90s look, or the bizarre windshield that covers almost his entire face in the modern day, there's a lot of unique looks we could give him - and that's before even delving into references to other characters notably related to him that might not get in (such as Havok!)

I just feel like this roster would be somewhat incomplete without the X-Men's de-facto leader on the roster. (And besides, I think we'd feel bad beating up an old guy in a wheelchair.) So yeah!

osby

Smash Obsessed

Arguably the field leader of the classic X-Men lineup, Cyclops - also known as Scott Summers - has an interesting role in Marvel vs Capcom - essentially acting as the "face" of Marvel's side, famously shaking hands with the World Warrior himself - Ryu. Unlike a lot of characters, his main ability - firing beams from his eyes - makes him a very solid zoner with a lot of projectile options. However, I'd say he should still be able to throw hands in hand to hand combat, as well as using his incredible power in close-range attacks as required.

I'd say his moveset should be simple to understand, but with a relatively high skill ceiling - making him approachable for newer players and somewhat referencing his shoto role in MVC2. Acting as a jack of all trades, he has a tool for every situation - but he's simple enough for someone to understand at a glance.

And as for alts - well, he's had plenty of designs over the years! Whether we use his classic yellow and black jumpsuit, the belts of his 90s look, or the bizarre windshield that covers almost his entire face in the modern day, there's a lot of unique looks we could give him - and that's before even delving into references to other characters notably related to him that might not get in (such as Havok!)

I just feel like this roster would be somewhat incomplete without the X-Men's de-facto leader on the roster. (And besides, I think we'd feel bad beating up an old guy in a wheelchair.) So yeah!
Oh, this reminds me how much I want to see Cyclops and Emma Frost in the same fighting game one day.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

We've has a lot of great picks! This is the most active this thread had been in some time.

So you know what? We're gonna add two characters from this round! Not only that! Everyone gets to submit a second character!

Taskmaster
I remember this guy being a huge surprise when he showed up in MVC3. He's a pretty underused character in my opinion. He got a pretty disappointing turn in the MCU. for the record I had no problem with the gender swap. I just felt they didn't use the character very well. He can copy the fighting styles of others, meaning he could have a really interesting and out there playstyle

Oh, this reminds me how much I want to see Cyclops and Emma Frost in the same fighting game one day.
There are some upcoming rounds in which you might get your wish.

KneeOfJustice99

Smash Champion
We've has a lot of great picks! This is the most active this thread had been in some time.

So you know what? We're gonna add two characters from this round! Not only that! Everyone gets to submit a second character!
Well... in that case:

Character Name: War Machine
Character Origin: Avengers West Coast Vol. 2 #94 (1993)
Character Abilities: Mechanical Suit, Heavy Artillery

Colonel James Rhodes is in a very interesting situation. That is, he's one of the very few people in the world that Tony Stark trusts to pilot his Iron Man armour - or, at least, a variation of it. Bulkier, more armoured and packed to the teeth with high-power weaponry, the name Rhodes takes when in the armour is well earned - that of War Machine.

I like to imagine War Machine as feeling almost like you're playing as a bomber plane. Whilst Iron Man is relatively quick, War Machine is packed to the teeth with zoning tools and stage control options, but as a result has to sacrifice a little speed to do so. However, he hits like a truck stuffed with twenty tons of napalm.

Not only this, but War Machine has come to some prominence due to Rhodes' appearance in the MCU. Sure, the MCU shouldn't be the be-all and end-all of this roster, but it means that as well as being a slightly deeper cut, he's also a solid pick with more modern, younger audiences. Not only this, but War Machine was playable in the first MVC game - before even Stark himself! It seems like his nature lends well to fighting games, being an all-out ranged powerhouse - a fun and unique playstyle that we don't often see in fighting games!

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047

Second Nomination: Phoenix (Jean Grey)

One of the five original X-Men, Jean is a powerful user of telepathy and telekinesis. It's this psychic power, coupled with brainwashing, that unleashed a malevolent split personality called Dark Phoenix upon the universe. Her history is complicated, involving clones, cosmic entities, love dodecahedrons, time travel, and who knows what else, but the important thing is that she's one of the most dedicated members of the X-Men, and one of its leaders along with Cyclops.

Jean isn't much of a physical combatant, so she'd most likely be a lightweight zoner character when it comes to gameplay.

Last edited:

osby

Smash Obsessed
I almost nominated this guy so I guess it's his lucky day.
1649700869221.png

Iceman

On top of being one's of the original X-Men, (albeit, admittedly the least prominent one) Bobby Drake has one of the most versatile mutant powers around. As an Omega-level mutant, the things he can construct out of ice are only limited by his imagination.

Oddball

Smash Lord
Doctor_Strange_Marvel_XP.png

I already mentioned his enemy, so let's keep with the theme and bring in the big man himself.

Dr. Stephen Strange.
Master of Magic, Sorcerer Supreme, leader of the Defenders, and guardian of the universe in this plane of reality.

Dr. Strange's magisal powers, at their peak, have rivaled the abstract cosmics of the universe such as Galactus and Enternity and he has once even managed to defeat Death herself while actually dead at the time.

Also, his girlfriend once cheated on him with Benjamin Franklin. Seriously.

Janx_uwu

Smash Champion
Writing Team
Venom

One of the most iconic Spider-Man villains whose had his fair share of appearances both in video games and on the big screen. Venom would strike a healthy balance between being a semi-clone of Spider-Man as well as his own thing, a giant heavyweight grappler with strong attacks and surprisingly fast movement speed - the best comparison I can think of in terms of stats would be SSBU Bowser.

D

Deleted member

Magneto

One of Marvel's most famous villains. He is one of the most used characters in tournament play for MVC2 and 3.
View attachment 349949

Black Panther

The warrior king of Wakanda and one of Marvel's all starts, he was a playable character in Marvel VS Capcom Infinite. Even in a traditional fighter, his wall jump and wall clinging skills were notable so I think he'd make a good fit for a platform fighter. We already have his kingdom as a stage, to boot.
MVC Veteran: Ghost Rider

You...yes, you...your Marvel platfighter roster is fake as f***.
Easily one of the coolest Marvel characters who would feel like a natural addition to MMM. Gameplay-wise, he'd be a mix between Simon/Richter and Captain Falcon.
MvC Veteran:

View attachment 349953

That's right, it's Bone Claw Wolverine! Everyone's favourite Marvel vs. Capcom character! Thanks to his bones no longer being bonded with adamantium, he's lighter but faster, and all of his attacks are the same as the original.

...obviously, I'm joking - I just find it funny that they made Bone Claw Wolverine a separate character.

My real nomination:

Ultron

Created by Hank Pym (the original Ant-Man), Ultron was designed to be the next step in artificial intelligence. Unfortunately, Hank had apparently never watched a sci-fi movie, because Ultron almost immediately decided to destroy Hank Pym, the Avengers, and humanity as a whole. (Ultron's original design looking like a fire hydrant on wheels might have played a part in this, though less jokingly, his AI was based off of Hank Pym's brain scans, which has caused both of them tremendous amounts of grief over the years)

Ultron is easily one of the most persistent and dangerous threats that the Avengers have faced - he started out by trying to nuke Manhattan, and his schemes have only increased in scope from there, with accomplishments like destroying an entire country and turning its population into cyborg zombies or taking over a mechanical hive mind and using it to carry out his genocidal plans on a universal scale.
View attachment 349972

Shuma Gorath

A Marvel vs Capcom mainstay

Shuma-Gorath is a demon from an extradimensional realm. He is one of the "Old Ones" who came to Earth untold millions of years ago, ruling it and feasting on mankind's ancestors. Shuma-Gorath would eventually be defeated and sent by to his realm by the new risen god Crom and later again by Crom's most famous follower, Conan the Barbarian. Centuries later, Shuma-Gorath would return and be thwarted when Dr. Strange partially merged with the entity and nearly sacrificed his own life.

Shuma has returned several times in his attempts to conqour and/or devour reality as we know it. Most recently in a conflict involving Dr. Strange, Conan, Doom, the Juggernaut, and a rather unsual line-up of Avengers in their battle against a realty warping sorcerer named Kulan Gath.

Interesting bit of trivia for you. Shuma Gorath was first mentioned by name in a Robert E. Howard story written in 1967. Between then and his apperance in Marvel vs Capcom in 1996 he had less than a dozen actual appearances.

Taskmaster
I remember this guy being a huge surprise when he showed up in MVC3. He's a pretty underused character in my opinion. He got a pretty disappointing turn in the MCU. for the record I had no problem with the gender swap. I just felt they didn't use the character very well. He can copy the fighting styles of others, meaning he could have a really interesting and out there playstyle

There are some upcoming rounds in which you might get your wish.
Well... in that case:

Character Name: War Machine
Character Origin: Avengers West Coast Vol. 2 #94 (1993)
Character Abilities: Mechanical Suit, Heavy Artillery

Colonel James Rhodes is in a very interesting situation. That is, he's one of the very few people in the world that Tony Stark trusts to pilot his Iron Man armour - or, at least, a variation of it. Bulkier, more armoured and packed to the teeth with high-power weaponry, the name Rhodes takes when in the armour is well earned - that of War Machine.

I like to imagine War Machine as feeling almost like you're playing as a bomber plane. Whilst Iron Man is relatively quick, War Machine is packed to the teeth with zoning tools and stage control options, but as a result has to sacrifice a little speed to do so. However, he hits like a truck stuffed with twenty tons of napalm.

Not only this, but War Machine has come to some prominence due to Rhodes' appearance in the MCU. Sure, the MCU shouldn't be the be-all and end-all of this roster, but it means that as well as being a slightly deeper cut, he's also a solid pick with more modern, younger audiences. Not only this, but War Machine was playable in the first MVC game - before even Stark himself! It seems like his nature lends well to fighting games, being an all-out ranged powerhouse - a fun and unique playstyle that we don't often see in fighting games!

Second Nomination: Phoenix (Jean Grey)

One of the five original X-Men, Jean is a powerful user of telepathy and telekinesis. It's this psychic power, coupled with brainwashing, that unleashed a malevolent split personality called Dark Phoenix upon the universe. Her history is complicated, involving clones, cosmic entities, love dodecahedrons, time travel, and who knows what else, but the important thing is that she's one of the most dedicated members of the X-Men, and one of its leaders along with Cyclops.

Jean isn't much of a physical combatant, so she'd most likely be a lightweight zoner character when it comes to gameplay.
I almost nominated this guy so I guess it's his lucky day.
View attachment 349993
Iceman

On top of being one's of the original X-Men, (albeit, admittedly the least prominent one) Bobby Drake has one of the most versatile mutant powers around. As an Omega-level mutant, the things he can construct out of ice are only limited by his imagination.
View attachment 350003

I already mentioned his enemy, so let's keep with the theme and bring in the big man himself.

Dr. Stephen Strange.
Master of Magic, Sorcerer Supreme, leader of the Defenders, and guardian of the universe in this plane of reality.

Dr. Strange's magisal powers, at their peak, have rivaled the abstract cosmics of the universe such as Galactus and Enternity and he has once even managed to defeat Death herself while actually dead at the time.

Also, his girlfriend once cheated on him with Benjamin Franklin. Seriously.
Venom

One of the most iconic Spider-Man villains whose had his fair share of appearances both in video games and on the big screen. Venom would strike a healthy balance between being a semi-clone of Spider-Man as well as his own thing, a giant heavyweight grappler with strong attacks and surprisingly fast movement speed - the best comparison I can think of in terms of stats would be SSBU Bowser.
Magneto - me
Black Panther - osby osby
Ghost Rider - J Janx
Ultron - Megadoomer Megadoomer
Shuma Gorath - Oddball Oddball
Cyclops- KneeOfJustice99 KneeOfJustice99
Taskmaster - me
War Machine - KneeOfJustice99 KneeOfJustice99
Phoenix - Megadoomer Megadoomer
Iceman- osby osby
Doctor Strange- Oddball Oddball
Venom - Janx_uwu Janx_uwu

Vote for your top SIX. Your own can't be in first. Also I'm gonna ask that you only vote for one of your own if you self vote.

1. Black Panther
2. Doctor Strange
3. Cyclops
4. Magneto
5. Ultron
6. Ghost Rider

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
1. Magneto (I feel like he needs to be here)
2. Black Panther (same thing as Magneto; he's a bit lower because I feel like the MCU will help him out here)
3. Ultron (self-vote)
4. Venom (he's one of the biggest Spider-Man villains, and there's plenty of justification for including him - plus, he was my favourite Spidey villain when I was a kid, thanks to the animated series)
5. Taskmaster (I really like the idea)
6. Shuma-Gorath (wildcard! Yeehaw!)

This was a tricky one, even when narrowing it down to six - Cyclops, Ghost Rider, and Dr. Strange nearly made it on here.

Last edited:

Janx_uwu

Smash Champion
Writing Team
1. Taskmaster (I think it would be funny if he was just an echo of whoever his opponent for any given match was)
2. Iceman (always been my favorite mutant, plus an ice fighter is something Smash lacks quite a bit not counting the Climbers)
3. Ultron (Despite popular opinion he’s my favorite MCU villain, also I would love to have an Ultron Sigma alternate color)
4. Magneto (Definitely an essential inclusion for a Marvel fighting game)
5. Black Panther (I think his newer MCU abilities would be perfect for this game)
6. Cyclops (would be a great shoto)

AlRex

Smash Lord
1. Magneto
2. Black Panther
3. Ghost Rider
4. Shuma Gorath
5. Cyclops
6. Taskmaster

A lot of good choices, hard to cut some.

KneeOfJustice99

Smash Champion
1. Magneto. (An outright necessary inclusion, in my opinion. Need I say more?)
2. Doctor Strange. (I think that the "magic user" archetype is important to represent here, plus Strange has been more prominent recently and well... I just think he could be so fun. Imagine some of the weird and wonderful things he could use - I'd love to see him doing ridiculous things to take down his opponents as opposed to just using "portals and funi cape".)
3. Venom. (Again, he feels like just a logical inclusion. Some might say "BUT HE'S JUST BIG SPIDER-MAN" but I think he has tons of unique potential!)
4. Iceman. (I'd love to see some more X-Men in the roster, and Iceman could be really fun! I mean, imagine his recovery move being like when Frozone skates around on ice in the Incredibles. IMAGINE HOW COOL THAT WOULD BE)
5. Ghost Rider. (I just love the idea of a character that semi-permenantly rides on a motorcycle whilst fighting. Sure, I know practically that probably won't be the case, but it'd still be so fun... especially if he could pick up and wield the motorcycle, Devil May Cry V style. Damn that would be fun as hell...)
6. Cyclops. (Self-vote, but as the de-facto field leader of the X-Men, and having had such a prominent role in previous Marvel games specifically, he feels like a pretty obvious choice. I think he might seem basic, but well... that's always kinda been the case hasn't it? An easy-to-pick-up character just seems like a good inclusion to me.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom