• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
Since we're talking about Dragon Quest, is a physical copy of the DQ8 3DS remake fairly easy to find? I got the DQ7 remake a few years back though I wasn't able to get the DQ8 one.

Starbound

Worlds Apart, But Still Together.
I'm personally hoping Brave is Agnes because the Agnes leak pre-launch was hilarious and I want it to be real.

If Jack isn't Joker though, who could it be?

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
I'm personally hoping Brave is Agnes because the Agnes leak pre-launch was hilarious and I want it to be real.

If Jack isn't Joker though, who could it be?

Who else could it be?

Zinith

Yoshi is Thicc in S P I R I T
All around you, awaiting to consume your soul
Switch FC
SW-4624-0132-9722
What exactly would he do as an assist trophy
Since he's known for tanking his way through everything, he could chase opponents and push them, and they wouldn't be able to shake him off aside from strong attacks.

Or like in Yoshi's Story he could dig for items.

Again, when people say "he's better for a different role other than fighting," I just ask "so why hasn't he by now?"

Double K

Smash Lord

A lot of anime, manga and other **** consider this armor to be "Brave" armor, and it gets referenced all the damn time. Dragon Quest 3 is really 'the' DQ.
You fool, that's the Female Soldier armor. The actual bikini armor is something that is variations on the 'Magic Bikini' armor from DQ3.

Brave refers to the Japanese word for "Hero"

勇者

Which directly translate to "Courageous Person"

Captain Shwampy

Smash Master
Since we're talking about Dragon Quest, is a physical copy of the DQ8 3DS remake fairly easy to find? I got the DQ7 remake a few years back though I wasn't able to get the DQ8 one.
you can get for 34.35$ on amazon or 34353999406496$ if you trade-in!
dq8.PNG

Last edited:

Shroob

Sup?
So if this is ANY form of Square Enix rep, which I'd wager is about a 70-80%~ chance of being likely....

Then what the hell do we make of Vergeben's final claim of a Minecraft boss.

I refuse to believe in "Lucky guesses" when his info was known behind the scene months in advance, so he obviously had some connections feeding him info

Delzethin

Character Concept Creator
NNID
Delzethin
And to put in perspective, the only Nintendo newcomer we got as DLC in Smash 4 was Corrin.
And that was for promotional purposes.
The other three newcomers were all guests.

Honestly, anyone expecting a Nintendo character that isn't tied to promotion was setting themselves up for disappointment.
Worth mentioning that we still don't even know if Corrin was thrown in just to advertise Fates.

We know Sakurai sought out a newer character, but he never said that it was for promotional purposes. That was a blank filled in by fans who didn't like the character chosen, or believed that cross-promotion was the only possible explanation for a newer character getting in over one with more seniority.

We know Fire Emblem Fates was mentioned as an upcoming release in the English Smash Direct, but it had been out in Japan since the previous June. It'd been a full 7 1/2 months by the time Corrin was added as DLC, far enough to further blur the argument of Corrin only getting in to advertise Fates.

For all we know, Sakurai may have wanted to give a chance to a character who hadn't had one before! But a narrative was already deemed the Only Possible Explanation, and so it's spread so far that people outside the immediate fandom think it must be true just because the belief is so widespread.

This is what I'm trying to point out: Things are not as clear-cut as they seem. We have a bad habit of assuming the first thing that comes to mind must be the only possible explanation, and it's happening again now. Remember when there was an undercurrent of people resenting Lucario back in Brawl for "replacing" Mewtwo, a character they were already invested in? It turned out no such replacing happened--Mewtwo was actually planned to be in Brawl, and narrowly missed the cut. We should not jump to conclusions here, because then it's only a matter of time before things get tribal and toxic. We need to be aware of how it happened before and nip this line of thought in the bud now before it spirals out of control again and people get ostracized...or worse.

Last edited:

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
So if this is ANY form of Square Enix rep, which I'd wager is about a 70-80%~ chance of being likely....

I refuse to believe in "Lucky guesses" when his info was known behind the scene months in advance, so he obviously had some connections feeding him info
All I will say is, it’s bull**** and any Minecraft content shouldn’t be believed.

At least that’s my opinion.

JacobLeBeauOFFICIAL

Smash Lord
NNID
JacobReal!
Switch FC
SW-4350-2362-0253
Does anyone have context to these?
There was a problem fetching the tweet
There was a problem fetching the tweet

Last edited:

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Worth mentioning that we still don't even know if Corrin was thrown in just to advertise Fates.

We know Sakurai sought out a newer character, but he never said that it was for promotional purposes. That was a blank filled in by fans who didn't like the character chosen, or believed that cross-promotion was the only possible explanation for a newer character getting in over one with more seniority.

We know Fire Emblem Fates was mentioned as an upcoming release in the English Smash Direct, but it had been out in Japan since the previous June. It'd been a full 7 1/2 months by the time Corrin was added as DLC, far enough to further blur the argument of Corrin only getting in to advertise Fates.

This is what I'm trying to point out: Things are not as clear-cut as they seem. We have a bad habit of assuming the first thing that comes to mind must be the only possible explanation, and it's happening again now. Remember when there was an undercurrent of people resenting Lucario back in Brawl for "replacing" Mewtwo, a character they were already invested in? It turned out no such replacing happened--Mewtwo was actually planned to be in Brawl, and narrowly missed the cut. We should not jump to conclusions here, because then it's only a matter of time before things get tribal and toxic.
Wasn't Corrin Nintendo's picking, not Sakurais?

The DanMan051

Banned via Warnings

This is what I'm trying to point out: Things are not as clear-cut as they seem. We have a bad habit of assuming the first thing that comes to mind must be the only possible explanation, and it's happening again now. Remember when there was an undercurrent of people resenting Lucario back in Brawl for "replacing" Mewtwo, a character they were already invested in? It turned out no such replacing happened--Mewtwo was actually planned to be in Brawl, and narrowly missed the cut. We should not jump to conclusions here, because then it's only a matter of time before things get tribal and toxic.
Maybe you should pay attention to stuff the site you contribute to posts/posted: http://www.sourcegaming.info/2015/12/23/496/

"After internal analysis, we decided that if we’re going to make DLC, we would choose a character from a soon-to-be-released new game. After consulting many times with Nintendo and looking at the upcoming release schedule, Fire Emblem Fates was in just the right spot. It’s already been released in Japan, but is yet to be released overseas, making it a prime candidate in terms of timing. I personally felt that having too many Fire Emblem characters was a problem, but after talking it over with the development staff and discussing logistics, I felt certain that I could make them a fun character. "

From one of Sakurai's Famitsu columns, detailing Cloud, Corrin, and Bayonetta.

Last edited:

Starbound

Worlds Apart, But Still Together.

Verg had the same info pool as other insiders that were all proven correct. He had access to the same information.

Minecraft boss was not part of this pool of information. Guess why it hasn't come true yet?

D

Deleted member

Alright, now that I'm home, my take about all this. If we're starting out with TWO third party characters and the pack is all third parties, Nintendo is lying on a bit of a double edge sword, IMO. One, it'd all be some pretty hype stuff, especially since Nintendo of all people chose the third parties. On the other hand, you gotta remember that there are quite a few of people who still might want some first-party related Nintendo characters.

But granted, who really is left first-party wise? We already know that Japan will not stop at all for wanting Rex & Pyra in Smash, all of us would be down for another Kirby character because it's Kirb :kirby:, but aside from those two, it doesn't feel like there's much room at all, hence why I wouldn't be surprised if this pack is all third-party characters.

Now, that leads to the question, "who in God's name would fit Smash's mold?" I mean, we got people out here wanting Doom Slayer, Scorpion, Phoenix Wright, hell, I want Frank West, dammit. But I do feel that there has to be AT LEAST one line drawn to see where we can go from here.

It's either Dragon Quest or Bravely Default, though more is pushing towards the former, so let's envision this, then. Persona and Dragon Quest are the first two line-ups, with three more to be revealed. Who would then be next? What franchise would make people pop off? I think if anything, the recent datamines poses more questions than answers.

But if there's anything to take away from this, just remember this one thing.

LeBron James is on the Lakers, the Grinch Leak was fake, insiders got BTFO'd, and Vinny is streaming Mother 3.
Anything is possible. Don't stop supportin' your wants.

Shroob

Sup?
"Erdrick coming in Feb"

I HIGHLY doubt that.

Maybe a reveal in the next Direct, but that would be THREE of our SIX DLC characters in one month, and in the very beginning of it too.

I can forsee maybe an April or June release, but not three characters in February.

Delzethin

Character Concept Creator
NNID
Delzethin
Maybe you should pay attention to stuff the site you contribute to posts/posted: http://www.sourcegaming.info/2015/12/23/496/

"After internal analysis, we decided that if we’re going to make DLC, we would choose a character from a soon-to-be-released new game. After consulting many times with Nintendo and looking at the upcoming release schedule, Fire Emblem Fates was in just the right spot. It’s already been released in Japan, but is yet to be released overseas, making it a prime candidate in terms of timing. I personally felt that having too many Fire Emblem characters was a problem, but after talking it over with the development staff and discussing logistics, I felt certain that I could make them a fun character. "

From one of Sakurai's Famitsu columns, detailing Cloud, Corrin, and Bayonetta.
You're correct about that quote. Sakurai sought out a character from an upcoming game, and Fates happened to have the right window of opportunity.

But notice how he never said he wanted to cross-promote the game? Who's to say Corrin couldn't have been picked on his/her own merits? Especially with all the emphasis on being a shapeshifter, something that'd never been done in Smash before!

The cross-promotion angle is from speculators and disappointed fans deciding it was the Only Possible Explanation.

Last edited:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Id be down with that rumoured list being real if only so the Kirby x DOOM crossover gets one step closer to reality.

Shroob

Sup?
Verg had the same info pool as other insiders that were all proven correct. He had access to the same information.

Minecraft boss was not part of this pool of information. Guess why it hasn't come true yet?
Starbound, you and I both know when he pulled the SE rep out of his ass in August we were all blindsided by it since no one else was talking about it at the time.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
But granted, who really is left first-party wise?
- Kirby character
- FE character
- Pokemon character
- Xenoblade X character
- Octolings
- Daemon X Machina (AKA bootleg Guts #3 :ultcloud::ultike:) this one's being slept on hard
- Waluigi

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
Alright, now that I'm home, my take about all this. If we're starting out with TWO third party characters and the pack is all third parties, Nintendo is lying on a bit of a double edge sword, IMO. One, it'd all be some pretty hype stuff, especially since Nintendo of all people chose the third parties. On the other hand, you gotta remember that there are quite a few of people who still might want some first-party related Nintendo characters.

But granted, who really is left first-party wise? We already know that Japan will not stop at all for wanting Rex & Pyra in Smash, all of us would be down for another Kirby character because it's Kirb :kirby:, but aside from those two, it doesn't feel like there's much room at all, hence why I wouldn't be surprised if this pack is all third-party characters.

Now, that leads to the question, "who in God's name would fit Smash's mold?" I mean, we got people out here wanting Doom Slayer, Scorpion, Phoenix Wright, hell, I want Frank West, dammit. But I do feel that there has to be AT LEAST one line drawn to see where we can go from here.

It's either Dragon Quest or Bravely Default, though more is pushing towards the former, so let's envision this, then. Persona and Dragon Quest are the first two line-ups, with three more to be revealed. Who would then be next? What franchise would make people pop off? I think if anything, the recent datamines poses more questions than answers.

But if there's anything to take away from this, just remember this one thing.

LeBron James is on the Lakers, the Grinch Leak was fake, insiders got BTFO'd, and Vinny is streaming Mother 3.
Anything is possible. Don't stop supportin' your wants.
I don’t believe Insiders got BTFO. They held firm that the Grinch leak was fake and they were right.

If you’re referring to Joker, that doesn’t really qualify as getting BTFO either. Nobody, from what I know, said Joker wasn’t in. It just meant they didn’t know about it.

It’s the same thing as the Brawl leak. Two different leakers had different info, thought the other leaker was full of it, yet both were correct in the end.

Not having all the information =\= having worthless information.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
But notice how he never said he wanted to cross-promote the game?
Yeah.
Because you don't need to say that to know that it's the sole purpose of bringing in someone from an upcoming game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom