• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Shroob

Sup?
Really though, I'd post some more references but they lean heeeeeeeavily into NSFW territory, for obvious reasons.

CatRaccoonBL

You can do it!
NNID
RaccoonBL
3DS FC
2294-4606-0767
Please do not spread the "Brave" and "Jack" thing. This is not good and somebody leaked it out from private groups. We don't want this to be public knowledge. If you want to discuss it, please keep it on the downlow or in private. Just don't reference the games code directly. Nintendo might catch on. Eesh.
I would just accept it. While the name escapes me, there is a rule of the internet that the harder you try to erase information, the more people will want to find out about it.

Anywho. I'm team bravely. Though, I don't agree with the idea the character would be agnes. I think it would be either Edea or Tiz. Edea because she seems to be the most popular character and was playable in both games, (and was in a couple of the gachas), and Tiz because he is one of the most important characters in the series and has been playable in both games.

Agnes while somewhat important, wasn't playable in the second game and isn't that popular from what I can tell.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Really though, I'd post some more references but they lean heeeeeeeavily into NSFW territory, for obvious reasons.
put some danny devitos over the naughty bits
that's what i do

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
Lots of mental gymnastics being done to suggest characters that aren’t Erdrick. Wew lad.

To me, it’s pretty obvious it’s Erdrick. The translation is there, and makes sense as a code name similar to “Jack” for Joker. Many other interpretations don’t make sense or don’t seem specific enough.

Whatever though. It may be fun to speculate but i’m pretty sure it’s Erdrick.

Now, Sakurai, gimme Lloyd, Leon or Jill. Or Dante. I’ll be more set than I already am.

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
Clearly "Brave" refers to Bravairy, our generation 5 pokemon rep.

Its reveal trailer features the characters Little Mac, Ken and Dark Samus being attacked by Marx only for Bravairy to sweep in and save them while a remix of "America the Beautiful" plays in the background. He'll be downloadable on July 4th, 2019.

...No seriously though there's a million characters the term "brave" could apply to, I wouldn't read too far into it.

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
I’m really, really sorry. . .
But who’s Edrick?
The main protagonist of Dragon Quest III

Dragon Quest is an RPG series that while niche in the west, is massively popular in Japan
If you were ever in Japan, you'd probably be seeing it everywhere

Last edited:

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Lots of mental gymnastics being done to suggest characters that aren’t Erdrick. Wew lad
You sound like that guy who said Poochy can't be in because he thinks logically. :bobomb: You have to at least admit the possibilities here.

D

Deleted member

I'd be more inclined on the Bravely Default theory if they were in the list but alas. Too much stuff has stacked in favor of Erdrkck at this point.

Delzethin

Character Concept Creator
NNID
Delzethin
Two guest fighters in a row out of the gate? Hm...not the strategy I'd have done, if this turns out to be as it seems.

Part of me worries that this might mean they'll all be guest fighters. Sure, it might sound hype at first, but think of how many Nintendo characters we're all still interested in. Wouldn't it be a damn shame if every single one of them had been barred a chance from the very beginning just because they wouldn't be as jaw-dropping of reveals?

Problem is...good luck talking about that now. At this point, I have a sinking feeling that the idea of the entire set of 5 being third parties will be deemed so inevitable that you may not even be able to question it without getting publically mocked. Conform or be shunned, it might become.

I hope I'm wrong.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Two guest fighters in a row out of the gate? Hm...not the strategy I'd have done.

Part of me worries that this might mean they'll all be guest fighters. Sure, it might sound hype at first, but think of how many Nintendo characters we're all still interested in. Wouldn't it be a damn shame if every single one of them had been barred a chance from the beginning just because they wouldn't be as jaw-dropping of reveals?

Problem is...good luck talking about that now. At this point, I have a sinking feeling that the idea of the entire set of 5 being third parties will be deemed so inevitable that you may not even be able to question it without getting publically mocked. Conform or be shunned, it might become.

I hope I'm wrong.
I'm perfectly fine with the DLC characters all being guest characters.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
If they all are third party, you have to realize that Nintendo themselves were the ones who decided to put no Nintendo characters in their Nintendo game.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Honestly, while I doubt its chances I'd be down for a Bravely Default rep.
I actually had a moveset made for them in the Smash 4 speculation days before Cloud stomped that out.

They would be this job-change character where every single move of their's was a move from another character and performing it would change them to a different costume for that attack. Their Final Smash would be activating Bravely Second to stop time before doing their music attack which would deal damage but also buff them as long as their theme kept playing in the background.

The DanMan051

Banned via Warnings
Two guest fighters in a row out of the gate? Hm...not the strategy I'd have done, if this turns out to be as it seems.

Part of me worries that this might mean they'll all be guest fighters. Sure, it might sound hype at first, but think of how many Nintendo characters we're all still interested in. Wouldn't it be a damn shame if every single one of them had been barred a chance from the very beginning just because they wouldn't be as jaw-dropping of reveals?

I hope I'm wrong.
3rd parties get the most hype. That's been the big marketing takeaway thus far. So it makes perfect sense that this would happen.

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule

I hope I'm wrong.
I'm reasonably sure that all five DLC characters will be 3rd party. The only was I could see a first party getting in as DLC would be if they wanted to throw in some bonus echoes. After all, check out the reactions to "Everyone is Here" - the third parties were getting the biggest cheers. If they want to get people hype, this is how they'll do it.

With Nintendo picking them, it's likely that they're heavily promotional as well. I'm just hoping that they haven't all been leaked already - that list going around isn't exciting me at all.

Ah well...I'm holding onto my money until I see someone that hypes me.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Ryu and Cloud were the first DLC Newcomers for Smash 4, weren't they?
And to put in perspective, the only Nintendo newcomer we got as DLC in Smash 4 was Corrin.
And that was for promotional purposes.
The other three newcomers were all guests.

Honestly, anyone expecting a Nintendo character that isn't tied to promotion was setting themselves up for disappointment.

Last edited by a moderator:

Delzethin

Character Concept Creator
NNID
Delzethin
Ryu and Cloud were the first DLC Newcomers for Smash 4, weren't they?
Yes, but we got three first party veterans before them. Makes things not so clear, since we don't know whether the "veteran" part affected that, or whether the fact that they tapped into so many first party veterans affected their decision to look toward more guest newcomers.

Again, though, hard to ask such a question when it may have already been decided what "must" be happening. It's concerning, because I don't want us to slip into another tribal-like situation where one belief is deemed the Only True Possibility and anyone who doesn't fall in line with it gets pointed and laughed at.

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
SW: 5586-2837-4585
>January Direct
>"Smash Bros Ultimate released just over a month ago but we still have more news to share about it, so let's take it to the man who knows it all about this game."
>Camera transitions to Sakurai in his office with a Joker mask on
>"Bet you never saw that coming, huh?"
>Joker gameplay trailer
>"Joker will release on ???, as for Piranha Plant, it'll be available right after this presentation for those who have redeemed your codes."
>Beat
>"Ah right, before I forget, we do have one more thing to show you."
>Smash cut in
>Trailer starts om a grassy plan
>We hear a roar and the camera zooms out to reveal Rathalos wrecking havoc
>We see gohan Erdrick on the ground face down
>Rathalos about to swoop in and finish the job
>Suddenly, it stops and lands on the ground.
>The dust clouds created by Rathalos begin to dissipate and we see something blue inside it
>Rathalos(telepathically): "I-it can't be!"
>???: "Good grief, I told you to not harm the human"
>The cloud dissipates completely revealing...
>Slime Rimuru takes on the Slife!!!!!
View attachment 185440
>Gameplay section
>"Fighter Pack #2"
>"Smash Bros X That Time I got Reincarnated as a Slime"
>Camera cuts back to Erdrick on the ground
>"Guess I'll have my chance... another day..."
*cut to me proceeding to uninstal Smash bros*

Shroob

Sup?
But yeah, as ****ing weird as it is, Brave to me when it comes to Japanese gaming is synonymous with Dragon Quest, and I'm not the only one who feels that way as given via prior examples.

Doesn't help that Vergeben 'still' has a foot in the race and Erdrick is on 'the list', alongside with that other leak which has yet to be proven credible as of yet.

I'm completely on board the Erdrick wagon, it's Dragon Quest 3.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
You sound like that guy who said Poochy can't be in because he thinks logically. :bobomb: You have to at least admit the possibilities here.
I don’t really think it’s similar.

Sure, we could speculate as to who we hope it is. But the most likely scenario that we’re looking at, considering multiple people have vouched for a Square pick and have over time suggested Dragon Quest, is that it’s from Dragon Quest.

While the argument could be made that “Jack” could just be “Joker” to suggest Joker in the files, Jack has always culturally had a connection to Joker. Between Poker, names of characters (Batman’s Joker is named Jack), etc... vaanrose vaanrose can vouch on this point, and he’s smarter than I am.

In addition, each of the placeholders appear to address something specific to the character. Plant specifies Piranha Plant. “Jack” relates to Joker, considering we already know he’s in. Considering “Brave”, through translation, can equate to Hero, which also relates to Dragon Quest, and we’ve had leakers say Dragon Quest is getting a playable character, it makes a lot more sense to assume it’s a Dragon Quest character.

There’s more evidence for that than using “Oh wow, X character is Brave! Maybe it’s them!” Or “Brave? Clearly it’s Bravely Default!”

I mean hey, I like BD from what I played despite the grinding becoming too boring for me. But it doesn’t seem like much more than a coincidence and looking for something that isn’t there.

We can speculate. But that can sometimes turn into people thinking it’s likely which is...setting up for a potential disaster.

Lastly...well. I personally agree that Poochy isn’t likely to be in Smash whatsoever, and I personally think Poochy is better suited for a different role in Smash.

Last edited:

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
There’s more evidence for that than using “Oh wow, X character is Brave! Maybe it’s them!” Or “Brave? Clearly it’s Bravely Default!
You're twisting my beliefs here. It's not "clearly", it's "maybe" :redface: I will never deny it probably being DQ, but I'm optimistic.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
You're twisting my beliefs here. It's not "clearly", it's "maybe" :redface: I will never deny it probably being DQ, but I'm optimistic.
Oh, that wasn’t directed at you specifically. That was entirely based on what i’ve read some people doing.

Again, speculate to your heart’s content! Just keep expectations in check.

D

Deleted member

The main protagonist of Dragon Quest III

Dragon Quest is an RPG series that while niche in the west, is massively popular in Japan
If you were ever in Japan, you'd probably be seeing it everywhere
Thank you both. ( Idon Idon too)
Are any of the game available for the Switch?

Last edited by a moderator:

Double K

Smash Lord
What's this about Erdrick? It can't be him, he's a literal who. They'd obviously go for the most famous one in the West, Eight.

Kappa

Thank you both. (@ Idon )
Are any of the game available for the Switch?
4~8 can be played on the (3)DS

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom