• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Wow. Uhh... I'm surprised fanart of this even exists. Did you draw it? If so, well-****ing-done, even if I don't agree with the subject matter :,v

That or you went on a drawthread and asked someone to create this beautiful atrocity.
Nope.
Shared with me on a discord and I thought it was funny.

Though I do wish I had some digital art tools for these kind of dumb pics.

Double K

Smash Lord
I mean, you haven't said which ones there are 'literal unknowns'

Because from gaming as a whole, none of those characters are literal unknowns.
Hell, Persona and Dragon Quest are probably and most certainly bigger franchises than Star Fox and F-Zero at this point

Fenriraga

You have the strength to overcome your destiny!
Writing Team
NNID
DarkAura
I'm pretty late to the party, but do any of these guys fall under the possible "Brave" placeholder? Is bravery a theme of Dragon Quest? Or can it fall under anyone else here?

Last edited:

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule
Just because I've never played a Metroid game doesn't make Samus an unknown
I'm sorry if I offended anyone. I simply meant that two of those are not at all known to me.

Seriously, congratulations to anyone who's hyped for them. I'm not going to hold grudges. I'm just not hyped personally, so I'm not going to spend money on this. Maybe they'll have some fun Mii costumes, but I'll stick to base game.

Double K

Smash Lord
I'm pretty late to the party, but do any of these guys fall under the possible "Brave" placeholder? Is bravery a theme or Dragon Quest? Or can it fall under anyone else here?
The word "Yuusha" in Japanese is how the protagonist is usually referred to. Translated as Hero, the literal meaning is "Brave person"

KarneraMythos

Smash Champion
I mean, Doom IS campy, but less in the "Haha funny joke" kinda way and moreso in the "HOLY **** I BLEW THAT GUY'S **** OFF" thing.
Exactly. So much so that its "humor" reminds me of this old gem:

Nope.
Shared with me on a discord and I thought it was funny.

Though I do wish I had some digital art tools for these kind of dumb pics.
Is digital art more your forte? I just draw my stuff on printer paper to scan and color later.

Shroob

Sup?
I'm sorry if I offended anyone. I simply meant that two of those are not at all known to me.

Seriously, congratulations to anyone who's hyped for them. I'm not going to hold grudges. I'm just not hyped personally, so I'm not going to spend money on this. Maybe they'll have some fun Mii costumes, but I'll stick to base game.
I mean, okay, but why do you feel the need to tell us this?

This just reeks of subconscious anger and trying to vent without actually doing so.

D

Deleted member

Hell, Persona and Dragon Quest are probably and most certainly bigger franchises than Star Fox and F-Zero at this point
I mean you're not wrong about both being huge, but F-Zero has been dead for the past decade and a half and Star Fox has always been a b-list Nintendo franchise. There's barely any point in comparing them.

ProfPeanut

Smash Ace
If that leak is real, then Ryu Hayabusa's the one that'd be least hype for me. But as with most things in Smash speculation, that's more because of a lack of familiarity than anything else. Wonder how they'd handle the name when we already have a Ryu?

Doom Slayer 100% deserves to get into Smash, though.

Last edited:

Double K

Smash Lord
I mean you're not wrong about both being huge, but F-Zero has been dead for the past decade and a half and Star Fox has always been a b-list Nintendo franchise. There's barely any point in comparing them.
The point is that people go on and bring in the whole "nobody knows them" argument when this is a game where characters are only relevant because Smash.

Falcon, the Spacies, Ness, Lucas, just to name a few

Shroob

Sup?
If that leak is real, then Ryu Hayabusa's the one that'd be least hype for me. But as with most things in Smash speculation, that's more because of a lack of familiaritybrhan anything else. Wonder how they'd handle the name when we already have a Ryu?

We have 2 Roys.

Double K

Smash Lord
If that leak is real, then Ryu Hayabusa's the one that'd be least hype for me. But as with most things in Smash speculation, that's more because of a lack of familiaritybrhan anything else. Wonder how they'd handle the name when we already have a Ryu?

Okay, but consider the following

Ryu is the Japanese word for Dragon. Lots of characters can be called Dragons or have an association. But what about characters that have it as part of their title, or their game's name?

Yakuza in Japan is called Ryu ga Gotoku. The main character is Kazuma Kiryu. And his title? It is the Dragon of Dojima. His iconic fighting style is the Legendary DRAGON style.

Last edited:

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Yes, actually....
Smash Ultimate data mining has revealed a character labeled "Brave"
We believe it's a code name for a Dragon Quest rep
Who's we? insert riiiiinnnggggaaaannnnnggg

Dan

Smash Lord
Do we have any idea how the Grinch leak was even faked? Isn't it funny how elaborate it was, and now no one even mentions it anymore.

Fenriraga

You have the strength to overcome your destiny!
Writing Team
NNID
DarkAura
We also already have 2 Ryus, so why not a third?

1500223333526.png

Last edited:

AntagonisticGalaxyCetacea

Smash Journeyman
If that leak is real, then Ryu Hayabusa's the one that'd be least hype for me. But as with most things in Smash speculation, that's more because of a lack of familiarity than anything else. Wonder how they'd handle the name when we already have a Ryu?

We have two Roys, but in Dead or Alive he's always referred to as Hayabusa

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Do we have any idea how the Grinch leak was even faked? Isn't it funny how elaborate it was, and now no one even mentions it anymore.
only one rando on 4chan said he did it

Wyoming

Connery, Sean
Switch FC
7748-5364-3982
Is there a reason why people are believing the Joker/Erdrick/Hayabusa/Doom/Steve rumor? Just seems like another wish list getting attention due to Erdrick - which we had other rumors about prior.

Is it the date it was posted?

Shroob

Sup?
I don't believe the supposed leaked list, but to call any of the remaining 4 characters a 'literal who' is laughable.

Erdrick, by far, has the most referenced and arguably influential Dragon Quest game in his series, to the point it's still referenced nearly 30 years later by all sorts of things in Japan. **** the 'it's not popular in America' argument.

Ryu Hyabusa is legit THE last big 3rd Party NES character left. Outside of characters who most likely wouldn't get in like Uncle Scrooge from Disney, Ryu Hyabusa is THE guy.

Doom Marine is the grandfather of the FPS genre. That alone should speak volumes to realize he's literally the great grandaddy of any schutt gaem.

And Steve is, well, it's Steve. Minecraft made a generation of gamers, and is the 2nd most successful gaming franchise of all time behind Tetris.

Do I think the list is real? No.

But all 4 of these characters are gaming icons in their own right.

Last edited:

Wyoming

Connery, Sean
Switch FC
7748-5364-3982
Ryu Hyabusa is legit THE last big 3rd Party NES character left. Outside of characters who most likely wouldn't get in like Uncle Scrooge from Disney, Ryu Hyabusa is THE guy.
Contra? I feel like people forget about this game.

Although I get what you mean.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom