• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
I will stress again. I feel like people have WAY too little faith in Geno.

And way TOO much faith in Dragon Quest.

Geno sells because you're selling him to the Smash fanbase. It's as simple as that. Most people worldwide who play Smash have probably heard him come up at some point in their travels if they're a die hard Smash player.

Dragon Quest will work, but will certainly still struggle to sell in North America, etc, which will be the possible reason it might get passed over for inclusion in Smash Brothers. 91 percent of it's sales are still from Japan after all.

Last edited:

Rummy

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Dr.Rummy
Switch FC
7820-4094-4523
I think this is the fight of 6 characters for me.
DQ/Slime, Chrono, BD, OT, Sora and Geno.

Terra would be sweet tho.

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
Interesting seeing the numerous opposing perspectives here.

Some think Sora is a guarantee, some think Geno is a guarantee, some think DQ is a guarantee.

Now anyone beyond that I feel bad for y'all

ColietheGoalie

Smash Lord
I feel like DLC will sell well regardless. Like, it's Smash. Most people have a bit of a completion-ist attitude towards the content anyways.

Paperchampion23

Smash Champion
Interesting seeing the numerous opposing perspectives here.

Some think Sora is a guarantee, some think Geno is a guarantee, some think DQ is a guarantee.

Now anyone beyond that I feel bad for y'all
Watch it be Chrono.

Really don't think any of these DLC's have to be used to sell a game. Really don't get that mindset. Only Corrin was used for this and the rest were done due to iconism, and that was stretching it with Bayonetta.

A.G.L.

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-7451-1877-0896
I guarantee you that people will complain almost as much, if not just as much, if the new FE rep uses an axe or lance. If people whine about Robin and Corrin with their flashy magic and dragon fang, they're not going to be impressed by a guy or girl with an axe or lance and not much else to really set them apart mechanically. "Too many sword wielders" is largely an excuse used by people to justify their FE hate, but it's not the sole source of it.
Oh I agree some people will complain that another FE rep will be in the game. That being said, I still think Nintendo will add a FE Three Houses rep, it makes too much sense from a business standpoint. Diversifying the character from the rest by adding a axe/lance wielder, could just be their way of putting a bandaid on the situation while still getting an FE Three Houses rep in.

I would not be surprised if Nintendo does push for a FE Three Houses rep, the fact that the DLC character could release around the same time as the game. Could help Nintendo in drawing interest for the game. Im just saying don't surprised if it does happen.

KingBroly

Smash Lord
He called Simon 2 months before Vergeben lol, so no.

Vergeben called Simon in May, not March

Again, like I said, it could just be a lucky guess.
People knew about the full roster since February. Inkling and Ridley were first talked about by a lot of people then.

D

Deleted member

TBH I feel it's gonna be more FF or DQ.

Sora has too many hurdles to get over, and Geno is extremely niche outside of small hardcore Smash circles. If I had to pick an unlikely choice, though, I could see Lara Croft.

PsySmasher

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW 8231-8239-3130
I've given up on SQ character figuring out.

It could be Geno, but they're stubborn there.

It could be a FF character, but lol they will be stubborn there.

Sora has two parties to deal with. One is Disney who is a fierce renowned bargain to strike on TOP of Square's annoying butt.

Dragon Quest has Square and Armor to deal with as well as a music issue similar to Final Fantasy.

Like how do you bargain with people who won't even say ''Sure just put this picture of our character in."

Like no path is easy for Sakurai here.
This is exactly why I think Agnes/a Bravely Default rep is more plausible than people give it credit for:
-The series has exclusive ties with Nintendo.
-The series is still very relevant (especially around 2015).
-A 3rd game has been teased constantly (probably for Switch), even after Octopath Traveler's release.
-It would be a win-win situation (business-wise), since it advertises a Square IP that is housed on Nintendo consoles.

But at this point, people are so fixated on Sora/Geno/DQ rep that they're not going to really consider anyone else.

Noipoi

Howdy!
TBH I feel it's gonna be more FF or DQ.

Sora has too many hurdles to get over, and Geno is extremely niche outside of small hardcore Smash circles. If I had to pick an unlikely choice, though, I could see Lara Croft.
Dairy Queen doesn't need a rep, it should be Wendys.

Gentlepanda

Meme Maestro
NNID
Panda
Switch FC
2255-1434-0335
This is exactly why I think Agnes/a Bravely Default rep is more plausible than people give it credit for:
-A 3rd game has been teased constantly (probably for Switch), even after Octopath Traveler's release.
-It would be a win-win situation (business-wise), since it advertises a Square IP that is housed on Nintendo consoles.

But at this point, people are so fixated on Sora/Geno/DQ rep that they're not going to really consider anyone else.
preach it

RyuhoFox

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW 1285-9221-5627
It makes sense. Sakurai talked about the difficulties getting third party characters, and he easily could've been writing about the recently finished Cloud negotiations.

If there's one thing this speculation cycle has taught me, it's that Square Enix is an interesting company to work with.

Wonder how this effects a DQ rep or Chrono though.
Why are people taking stealth seriously? They aren't an insider or a leaker or anything. They don't have any more insight into the game than random users here do. Their words mean literally nothing in regards to anything as they are a known liar.

Icedragonadam

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5227-6397-6112
I'm banking on a DQ character or Lara.

Dragon Quest was the JRPG series grandfather and a cultural phenomenon in Japan. And SE has been promoting the series lately, and XI is getting a Switch port soon.

Lara Croft is an iconic character overall herself, and SE like DQ has been pushing her lately. She could be picked because the licensing would be easier than DQ and other SE properties.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
I'd love to see Lara, but I just can't see it happening, fam.

I just don't. It just doesn't seem likely. The whole real guns thing is just such a hurdle. Plus isn't she only really popular in the West? Japan doesn't really care much for her do they?

LetterO

Smash Lord

All this applies to my boy Neku as well.

-Exclusive ties with Nintendo besides mobile port
-TWEWY regarded as a cult classic and recently got a Switch release
-IIRC A sequel could happen if Final Remix does well? I need confirmation on this.
-Advertises a Square IP that recently released on the Switch

D

Deleted member

Thought about it more, leaning towards the square character being Sephiroth. You wanna talk about iconic and popular characters, look no further.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
Dairy Queen doesn't need a rep, it should be Wendys.
Big brain thinking will lead you to the conclusion, McDonalds, Dairy Queen, and Wendy's are all getting a rep.

McFlurry flurries in!
Blizzard casts a storm!
Frosty chills the competition!

Last edited:

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
Oh I agree some people will complain that another FE rep will be in the game. That being said, I still think Nintendo will add a FE Three Houses rep, it makes too much sense from a business standpoint. Diversifying the character from the rest by adding a axe/lance wielder, could just be their way of putting a bandaid on the situation while still getting an FE Three Houses rep in.

I would not be surprised if Nintendo does push for a FE Three Houses rep, the fact that the DLC character could release around the same time as the game. Could help Nintendo in drawing interest for the game. Im just saying don't surprised if it does happen.
A lance or axe might help change up the character slightly animation wise, but what would it do gameplay wise or mechanically? Axes and lances are just an alternative method of obtaining the same results - a long or powerful disjoint between you and your opponent. Heck, Ike already plays how I imagine your typical axe fighter would. Even visually the moveset with either weapon would be 90% stabbing or thrusting unless they have some other ability to set themselves apart. Not that I don't think a lance or axe fighter would be entirely lacking in things that make them stand out from swordies, but unique enough to justify an inclusion in a cast that's already slightly bloated with FE characters?

And why do we keep assuming that Nintendo treats promoting FE as more important then, say, Zelda or Mario? Because Three Houses is coming out soon? We don't know the exact details of how the characters were picked, but it sounds like Sakurai, who's admitted to the large amount of FE characters in the past, still gets the final say on if the character will work out or not.

I personally wouldn't mind another FE character but I just don't see it happening.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Question, how many bosses do we know of so far?

I've got Dracula, Rathalos, Galeom and Giga Bowser so far with Galeem most likley being the final boss. No sign of Master hand as a boss yet though.

Gentlepanda

Meme Maestro
NNID
Panda
Switch FC
2255-1434-0335
All this applies to my boy Neku as well.

-Exclusive ties with Nintendo besides mobile port
-TWEWY regarded as a cult classic and recently got a Switch release
-IIRC A sequel could happen if Final Remix does well? I need confirmation on this.
-Advertises a Square IP that recently released on the Switch
The franchise argument catches Neku a bit: there's the possibility of further games, but no hard confirmation yet; whereas Bravely Third has been known about and teased for some time (probably planned around the time DLC was picked). Nevertheless, I don't think he's impossible in the slightest.

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
A lance or axe might help change up the character slightly animation wise, but what would it do gameplay wise or mechanically? Axes and lances are just an alternative method of obtaining the same results - a long or powerful disjoint between you and your opponent. Heck, Ike already plays how I imagine your typical axe fighter would. Even visually the moveset with either weapon would be 90% stabbing or thrusting unless they have some other ability to set themselves apart. Not that I don't think a lance or axe fighter would be entirely lacking in things that make them stand out from swordies, but unique enough to justify an inclusion in a cast that's already slightly bloated with FE characters?

And why do we keep assuming that Nintendo treats promoting FE as more important then, say, Zelda or Mario? Because Three Houses is coming out soon? We don't know the exact details of how the characters were picked, but it sounds like Sakurai, who's admitted to the large amount of FE characters in the past, still gets the final say on if the character will work out or not.

I personally wouldn't mind another FE character but I just don't see it happening.
See that's why the "THEY USE AN AXE/LANCE" argument makes me roll my eyes at this point

Replace Ike's sword with an axe and you got what we all know they're /ACTUALLY/ gonna do with an axe user.

D

Deleted member

You understate the hurdles of FF and DQ.
All SE characters have hurdles. I'm just guessing which ones probably have the least.

Bravely Default getting a character would be the greatest thing ever, though. That's what I'm personally rooting for the most.

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
All SE characters have hurdles. I'm just guessing which ones probably have the least.

Bravely Default getting a character would be the greatest thing ever, though. That's what I'm personally rooting for the most.
Wouldn't mind BD too much I guess. Agnes is pretty, as we all know at this point that's my weak point, so.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom