• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Galaxyman

Smash Journeyman
training stage leaning combos with Ken til I drop
I am hype, but I refuse to watch any major footage of it. I wanna experience it and enjoy discovering what it has to offer. Only things I watched were the Classic showcases and the Galleom (I think that's how it's spelt?) boss fight.
dont worry. it has no spoilers for anything not shown in the nov 1st direct. it just clears up a few of the confusing things, making it way more hype.

A.G.L.

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-7451-1877-0896
Not release, just info. Info of who the 5 are (stages and what not). In Smash WiiU things weren't decided as of this Smash, at least not to public. As I said, in Mario Kart 8 DLCs were stated way before release, they were good enough to warrant an early purchase. If Nintendo's so sure of its selections then why not show them. Who's going to buy a random box? Sure some will, but also some won't. I get what you're saying about keeping the hype going, they did that with many of their games, Splatoon2, Odyssey, Kirby.. etc. BUT, none of those had their DLCs announced before release. Nintendo shouldn't expect players to pay blindly just because it's the "Nintendo Choice".

I have to disagree here. I don't think there's the slightest need to push any FE sales through Smash. The message got clear to a point of annoyance, pushing through this more is pushing their luck, it really serves more bad than good. As Smash players are now well aware of Fire Emblem and vise versa. Fire Emblem has now become a stand alone IP that needs no further introduction. Boy I still think it was a messy mistake to add all those charcaters. This would be another reason for me to not consider Fighter's Pass.

Yeah, who wouldn't like his favorite music to be remixed officially by pros. As I'm a Mega Man fans too, I really am looking forward to the new remixes. There's one they did good (Guts Man) and another wasn't (forgot the RM).

There's no way a DLC will sell for one piece of music. I don't think Sugiyama is that stingy. I don't care much for spirits to be that concern of having them in Smash, luckily though, Capcom is such an open publisher they went full open on Mega Man stuff XD Hey, come to think of it, neither SF spirits were shown. So maybe just wait n see, FF spirits might show up.

Well no comparsion cause Joe is a film, anime and game composer (100 films). So definitely no comparsion there.

Thanks for the track. Well that was short XD Liked the artpiece. I know of the Avenger's music, so I know of this one. Though I have to say, Epic is just not for me (NNK is not the type of Epic I'm talking about). Would be my last choice, unless I'm playing a Fire Emblem character.
Epic seems the music that ignites your fight passion, the go and fight in Smash music. Mostly found in Fire Emblem stages (I get why you want a 3 house rep). But that's not what I'd go for. To Smash I'd prefer something like Corneria/Star Fox (Brawl remix). I don't mind the variety of course, It's something I really appreciate about Smash. I guess you and I are both in luck.. 28hrs. of music luck. :)

Out of the 3, Tekken was the best, just because of that beautiful guitar play (didn't like the BG noise tbh).
I don't know if they will announce all of them. I can see what you are saying, and it would help them in helping ease peoples worries in buying the fighters pass. However if they follow other fighting games on how they do season pass or fighters pass, they generally do not reveal all of the characters. Examples of this is Dragon Ball Fighterz, Tekken, and Injustice 2. So its most likely Nintendo will follow this pattern that previous fighting games have established. I do hope your theory of them releasing the information of all the fighters beforehand comes true.

I just would not be surprised at all if FE Three Houses gets a rep, I understand why you and many wouldn't want another FE rep. However if we follow Nintendo is behind the decision making I would not be surprised at all if they add a FE Three Houses rep. I think it was a mistake in that they added so many sword FE reps, they did not diversify in their choosing. Its true Robin and Corrin play differently, but had they added an axe user like Hector people might be more forgiving. Or had they added a villain, it would have made more sense. Thats why I think if FE Three Houses gets a rep it will be Edelgard as Nintendo might be wise to the FE rep fatigue, but still want a FE Three Houses rep.

I honestly would not be surprised, if we only get two pieces of music with the Square character. With the news that Midgar only has two songs, I really hope we can unlock more FF music, otherwise that is very disappointing. There were SF spirits shown such as M. Bison, Sagat, Blanka, Dhalism, Balrog etc. So the fact that FF hasn't had any Spirits is a bit concerning. Agree its exciting to see how Smash composers handle other composers work. I do love some Megaman music especially Zero's theme. I agree FE music has a way of getting you pumped, I think its because it usually uses acoustic guitar. There's something about the Spanish acoustic guitar that gets you excited. And agree I love that part of Apocalypis Noctis in Tekken 7, that Spanish acoustic was incredibly beautiful. This is the type of rendition I hope to hear more of in Smash Ultimate. And I agree 28hrs of music pre DLC releases, is something incredible can't wait.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
It makes sense. Sakurai talked about the difficulties getting third party characters, and he easily could've been writing about the recently finished Cloud negotiations.

If there's one thing this speculation cycle has taught me, it's that Square Enix is an interesting company to work with.

Wonder how this effects a DQ rep or Chrono though.
I mean if they're stubborn about Cloud, and seemingly stubborn about Geno as well to a degree. I can't see them not being stubborn about ANY of their characters, including ones they share with people like Sora or DQ characters.

I don't think it's safe to say any character is a lock when it comes to SQ it could be ANY of them or hell we could all be talking about this for no reason and it's none of them because Nintendo and Sakurai basically went ''F You Guys." after getting Cloud.

Which does seem unlikely because some sort of business deal was struck. I mean all those Final Fantasy games that just were announced and Square opening their own subdivision to develop just Switch games doesn't mean NOTHING.

Noipoi

Howdy!
I am hype, but I refuse to watch any major footage of it. I wanna experience it and enjoy discovering what it has to offer. Only things I watched were the Classic showcases and the Galleom (I think that's how it's spelt?) boss fight.
You are a stronger being than I.
I can't help myself, I gotta see it! As long as it's not endgame it's fine for me.

D

Deleted member

Clearly, they’re not showing Geno as a spirit because he’s actually a secret assist trophy bringing the number of ATs to a nice round 60 : )

Last edited by a moderator:

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
Putting my Bias lens on here.

I think it means that if we don't find Geno in the base game as a Spirit, It should be a large Red Flag that He's DLC. - Rummy 2018
Geno will not be DLC. - tehponycorn 2018

Honestly, with how much Square is being an *** with Cloud even being in Smash, I'm shocked we are supposedly getting another Square rep.
It doesn't really seem like they want their franchises in Smash.
Or they want to put in as little as possible to justify selling it as DLC.
It all comes down to this lovely thing called
P R O M O T I O N

Even Square Enix is smart enough to know how great of an opportunity for promotion Smash Bros. is. It's a great way to draw attention to an upcoming release as well. Now, whether that's Kingdom Hearts: The Story so Far and/or Kingdom Hearts 3 on Switch or Dragon Quest XI S is a tossup.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
That would explain why it's 23, there are only 22 female characters (not counting Isabelle, but counting Sheik, Jigglypuff, Villager, Robin, Corrin, the Mii Fighters, and Dark Samus, and that's pretty generous). So there may very well be an unknown female boss somewhere.
It's that ***** Phyllis from the Post Office in Animal Crossing.

Isabelle defeats everyone and tries to send a letter back to town of her victories but Phyllis is having absolutely none of it.

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
We have to all at least admit he called Simon, regardless if he guessed it or had a source. He called that **** back in March
Literally anyone with sources knew about Simon back in march.
Simon, Ridley and Isabelle were the worst secret kept in Ultimate-

Ken and Incineroar at least had to wait July to be heard by insiders.

KingBroly

Smash Lord
That would explain why it's 23, there are only 22 female characters (not counting Isabelle, but counting Sheik, Jigglypuff, Villager, Robin, Corrin, the Mii Fighters, and Dark Samus, and that's pretty generous). So there may very well be an unknown female boss somewhere.
Dark Samus is an it. There's...no debate there.

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
I just would not be surprised at all if FE Three Houses gets a rep, I understand why you and many wouldn't want another FE rep. However if we follow Nintendo is behind the decision making I would not be surprised at all if they add a FE Three Houses rep. I think it was a mistake in that they added so many sword FE reps, they did not diversify in their choosing. Its true Robin and Corrin play differently, but had they added an axe user like Hector people might be more forgiving. Or had they added a villain, it would have made more sense. Thats why I think if FE Three Houses gets a rep it will be Edelgard as Nintendo might be wise to the FE rep fatigue, but still want a FE Three Houses rep.
I guarantee you that people will complain almost as much, if not just as much, if the new FE rep uses an axe or lance. If people whine about Robin and Corrin with their flashy magic and dragon fang, they're not going to be impressed by a guy or girl with an axe or lance and not much else to really set them apart mechanically. "Too many sword wielders" is largely an excuse used by people to justify their FE hate, but it's not the sole source of it.

Kuraudo

4Aerith
NNID
Kuraudo
Not gonna lie, Square-Enix being this stingy about their property in a game that prints money, money or not, is stupid beyond belief.

The petty part of me wants them to go under and suffer for messing up Final Fantasy XV as horribly as they did (and I LOVE that game), but I suppose dropping $33 million, scrambling to get Kingdom Hearts out the door, and throwing Nomura right on VII after next to jack **** for years being shown is enough.

I can just laugh at them at least.

Paperchampion23

Smash Champion
Literally anyone with sources knew about Simon back in march.
Simon, Ridley and Isabelle were the worst secret kept in Ultimate-

Ken and Incineroar at least had to wait July to be heard by insiders.
He called Simon 2 months before Vergeben lol, so no.

Vergeben called Simon in May, not March

Again, like I said, it could just be a lucky guess.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

You are a stronger being than I.
I can't help myself, I gotta see it! As long as it's not endgame it's fine for me.
Resisting the urge to spoil it will be hard, lol. I just hope a certain Youtuber doesn't ruin the design of the final boss for me like they did with Kirby: Star Allies and Splatoon 2. :/

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
I've given up on SQ character figuring out.

It could be Geno, but they're stubborn there.

It could be a FF character, but lol they will be stubborn there.

Sora has two parties to deal with. One is Disney who is a fierce renowned bargain to strike on TOP of Square's annoying butt.

Dragon Quest has Square and Armor to deal with as well as a music issue similar to Final Fantasy.

Like how do you bargain with people who won't even say ''Sure just put this picture of our character in."

Like no path is easy for Sakurai here.

Last edited:

staindgrey

I have a YouTube channel.
Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
Square Enix and Nintendo have no reason to put forward a character that a small, niche community of vocal fans request. Especially when they have characters with larger fanbases that could draw people into Smash.

The SE Rep is either going to be Sora or a DQ character, and it'll coincide with the release of games in those series' releases on Nintendo Switch. People buy a Nintendo Switch to play that series (they'll market the portability up the wazoo) and pick up Smash and the DLC fighter alongside it.

There's more, but Geno isn't happening, and I would not hold out hopes for anything more than the Mii Costume returning.
Okay this is about what I expected (not a bad thing) thanks again king

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305

It could be Geno, but there stubborn there.

Sora has two parties to deal with. One is Disney who is a fierce renowned bargain to strike on TOP of Square's annoying butt.

Dragon Quest has Square and Armor to deal with as well as a music issue similar to Final Fantasy.

Like how do you bargain with people who won't even say ''Sure just put this picture of our character in."

The path is clear for Tiz Arrior or Neku then. Simple.

Icedragonadam

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5227-6397-6112

How's Lara in the licensing department?

lightdrago

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW 2938 1058 0987

Octopath Traveler pls

DevaAshera

Smash Champion
I am very disappointed that it seems we won't get an amiibo for LttP/LBW Zelda..or any other characters with a new design that lack amiibo, like OoT Ganondorf..

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Even though the lack of FF content is disappointing, you have to admit, it does make this supposed DLC SE character's representation a lot more interesting.

I wonder if they'll be more lenient, or if they'll give us another franchise that meets the bare minimum. Hard to say, but I hope negotiations aren't a pain. I don't think two SE characters are worth twice as much effort.

Diem

Agent of Phaaze
NNID
Luminoth_Prime
The question was if he was suprised by popular characters like Geno and Waluigi.
That's the confusing thing about "surprise" these days. The only super surprising characters for Ultimate were Dark Samus, Incineroar, and Piranha Plant. Everyone else made sense in terms of popularity. Yet they were all individually surprising in their own way.

So Geno would be surprising despite all the requests, for the same reason that K. Rool would be. Waluigi would be surprising because he's already an Assist Trophy, so that upgrade now would be unprecedented.

The real question is who wouldn't be surprising? Who could we get that would be "Oh yeah, there they are"?

TeenGirlSquad

Smash Master
Didn't the Nintendo rep say that the DLC choices are "unexpected", and Piranha Plant should prepare us for what's to come? What if Piranha Plant isn't preparing us for Slime, but it's actually preparing us for another plant....

(I can't post an image of Cactuar for some reason because the server's acting up, but the joke is that it's Cactuar)

(pretend I posted a gif from Mario Hoops 3-on-3 to make it even more humorous)

Blargg888

Oh okay.
NNID
Emerald_Latios
3DS FC
1977-0669-4694
Switch FC
SW-1254-5927-2992
I guarantee you that people will complain almost as much, if not just as much, if the new FE rep uses an axe or lance. If people whine about Robin and Corrin with their flashy magic and dragon fang, they're not going to be impressed by a guy or girl with an axe or lance and not much else to really set them apart mechanically. "Too many sword wielders" is largely an excuse used by people to justify their FE hate, but it's not the sole source of it.
Well of course they would.

I don't think anybody actually thinks people wouldn't complain if we got another FE character.

Personally, I'd love just 1 more FE character.

Then we could do 8-Player Mario, Pokemon, and FE Battles, and that'd be pretty cool.

Also, it's always nice to see a unique FE moveset. FE still has a lot of moveset potential, IMO.

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
The Square Enix rep is a coin flip between Sora and Dragon Quest at this point.

Lets hope it lands Sora side up.
Didn't the Nintendo rep say that the DLC choices are "unexpected", and Piranha Plant should prepare us for what's to come? What if Piranha Plant isn't preparing us for Slime, but it's actually preparing us for another plant....

(I can't post an image of Cactuar for some reason because the server's acting up, but the joke is that it's Cactuar)

I need a source on this ASAP.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Piranha Plant is preparing us for Crocomire.

staindgrey

I have a YouTube channel.
Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
Not release, just info. Info of who the 5 are (stages and what not). In Smash WiiU things weren't decided as of this Smash, at least not to public. As I said, in Mario Kart 8 DLCs were stated way before release, they were good enough to warrant an early purchase. If Nintendo's so sure of its selections then why not show them. Who's going to buy a random box? Sure some will, but also some won't. I get what you're saying about keeping the hype going, they did that with many of their games, Splatoon2, Odyssey, Kirby.. etc. BUT, none of those had their DLCs announced before release. Nintendo shouldn't expect players to pay blindly just because it's the "Nintendo Choice".
You would be surprised by just how much money is made off of blind season pass purchases. People who are convinced they'll like a game and have the extra money drop it on preorder DLC much more often than you'd think.

It's a miracle Nintendo hasn't hopped aboard the "pay us up front before we make it" train before now.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
I'm sorry to people who are saying these more cult Square characters or newer ones like Octopath.

It won't be them.

The choices are make money off Geno being a huge Smash community fan request.

Or promoting Sora as a newcomer.

These are the two most likely outcomes in my opinion.

Geno or Sora.

Sora would be because he is simply the Square character with the most well known worldwide appeal that can sell in all parts of our stupid little planet.

Dragon Quest is a maybe, but as popular as it is in Japan. The fact is a majority of it's sales still come from Japan, which might make it a difficult DLC to sell worldwide still.

The dark horse is it's just another FF character, but even then that FF character has to be someone who will sell worldwide.

Mass appeal is going to be important here and people are forgetting that a bit. And that mass appeal is gonna come from being known worldwide or in Geno's case being a fan request for the game he'd be coming in as DLC for.

LetterO

Smash Lord
The Square Enix rep is a coin flip between Sora and Dragon Quest at this point.

Lets hope it lands Sora side up.

I need a source on this ASAP.
Despite how unlikely it is, I'm still really hoping for Neku. I'll be super happy with Sora, though.

I just hope it isn't DQ, because I don't know about the franchise nor care enough to get into it.

Godzillathewonderdog

Smash Master
That's the confusing thing about "surprise" these days. The only super surprising characters for Ultimate were Dark Samus, Incineroar, and Piranha Plant. Everyone else made sense in terms of popularity. Yet they were all individually surprising in their own way.

So Geno would be surprising despite all the requests, for the same reason that K. Rool would be. Waluigi would be surprising because he's already an Assist Trophy, so that upgrade now would be unprecedented.

The real question is who wouldn't be surprising? Who could we get that would be "Oh yeah, there they are"?
Yeah, Dark Samus was so surprising that Sakurai said "you may have seen this coming" in reference to her reveal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom