• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

FreeFox

Smash Lord
Even though the lack of FF content is disappointing, you have to admit, it does make this supposed DLC SE character's representation a lot more interesting.

I wonder if they'll be more lenient, or if they'll give us another franchise that meets the bare minimum. Hard to say, but I hope negotiations aren't a pain. I don't think two SE characters are worth twice as much effort.
Since we are getting 5 songs with each dlc char, anything we get from SE will already be leagues above Cloud content wise.

D

Deleted member

You wanna talk about 2 songs look no further as well
That’s definitely a good point, but looking at other games shows that Square probably likes their guest characters as DLC. It’s possible that in order to get the rights to more songs, Sakurai had to put the square character as DLC so SE could get more profits of off it. Pretty much just spitballing though.

TeenGirlSquad

Smash Master
Watch it be Chrono.

Really don't think any of these DLC's have to be used to sell a game. Really don't get that mindset. Only Corrin was used for this and the rest were done due to iconism, and that was stretching it with Bayonetta.
True. The first three DLC characters last time, were for Smash fans, especially Mewtwo (which probably sold the most, or at least drove sales the most). Then the next two were for iconism, Corrin was an advertisement, and Bayonetta was a tit-for-tat thing because of Bayonetta 2 on the Wii U. So really, there will probably be a mix of "Smash fan picks" and "advertisement picks" and "iconic picks".

RyuhoFox

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW 1285-9221-5627
I will stress again. I feel like people have WAY too little faith in Geno.

And way TOO much faith in Dragon Quest.

Geno sells because you're selling him to the Smash fanbase. It's as simple as that. Most people worldwide who play Smash have probably heard him come up at some point in their travels if they're a die hard Smash player.

Dragon Quest will work, but will certainly still struggle to sell in North America, etc, which will be the possible reason it might get passed over for inclusion in Smash Brothers. 91 percent of it's sales are still from Japan after all.
I think the opposite honestly and people put way too much faith in Geno. He only sells to a small portion of the Smash fanbase that very likely has a large portion already planning to buy the fighters pass.
DQ has a chance of drawing in people from outside Smash's bubble to play it while having people within it that like it as well.

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
Question, how many bosses do we know of so far?

I've got Dracula, Rathalos, Galeom and Giga Bowser so far with Galeem most likley being the final boss. No sign of Master hand as a boss yet though.
Dracula, Rathalos, Galleon, and Giga Bowser are outright confirmed with Galeem being highly likely. Masked Lumen (Bayonetta), the Werewolf (Castlevania), and King Bulbin have at least been implied based on the title screen for the mode and it's likely Master Hand will be one based on him appearing in material related to the World of Light.

Last edited:

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
Thought about it more, leaning towards the square character being Sephiroth. You wanna talk about iconic and popular characters, look no further.
It's a possibility I suppose, but I would groan so loudly Sakurai would hear me from from Kyoto.

Last edited:

link2702

Smash Champion
People need to remember just how hard Square-Enix is to work with. It’s been mentioned before on the geno boards themselves but it needs repeating, he’ll be the easiest, low hanging fruit to get. Even if you take away sakurai’s own interest in him, he’s still a hell of a lot easier than sora or a DQ rep.

Of course anything is possible, but claiming that sora or the dq rep are far more likely, or that it’s “just a battle between those two” is just wrong.

Of course we could get something completely unexpected like crono, or a black mage, but either way don’t count geno out yet.

PsySmasher

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW 8231-8239-3130
Since we are getting 5 songs with each dlc char, anything we get from SE will already be leagues above Cloud content wise.
We don't have confirmation that each pack has 5 songs.

But that this point, as long as "multiple" is greater than 2, we'll have more representation than Final Fantasy.

Icedragonadam

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5227-6397-6112
Where's the source on the 5 songs only thing. Because with one of the DLC characters being a SE character, I really don't see that happening.

Last edited:

staindgrey

I have a YouTube channel.
Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
All SE characters have hurdles. I'm just guessing which ones probably have the least.

Bravely Default getting a character would be the greatest thing ever, though. That's what I'm personally rooting for the most.
I just picked up both Bravely games on impulse last month. Got the original in a B2G1 and the second one's collectors edition underpriced at a trade show. Not sure if I should resell it rather than open the box. Think I'll decide after I'm a good deal into Default.

Anything I should know before I start this thing?

Paperchampion23

Smash Champion
Why are people taking stealth seriously? They aren't an insider or a leaker or anything. They don't have any more insight into the game than random users here do. Their words mean literally nothing in regards to anything as they are a known liar.
I wasnt even taking him seriously, I was just remarking that he was technically the first person to call Simon, even before Vergeben. I personally think he's been riding off a personal guess since March, and got on high horse especially after August when it actually did reveal Castlevania.

I especially think he's BS due to his Cloud remark. The project plan was completed in 2015, meaning they likely got all of the rights to use the characters again then, which by extension means that cloud wasnt the last character picked.

I don't think Square is an issue to work with. In fact, I think Sakurai probably had a good time getting Cloud and had a harder time getting the Konami characters, due to them not even using the IPs normally anymore.

What was a problem was the FF music, but the FF7 music isnt owned by Square, so there you go.

Last edited:

FurretBro

Smash Apprentice
NNID
FurretBro
I'm hoping Geno's the SE rep but there's more options than just him. He's probably going to have something, though, besides the badge. Probably his Mii costume if not the green light.

ErenJager

Smash Champion
I'm really interested in seeing who the first DLC character is... Not just because of the character... But sort of gaging a tone or understanding of what the rest of the DLC may look like.

I'm interested to see if it'll start off as first or third party... Clearly promotional or not.

Paperchampion23

Smash Champion
Why? It's blatantly obvious that certain people were hinting at characters before the Direct in late February/early March. Ridley in particular.
No it wasn't lmao. You are the first person to ever mention anything of the sort. Nobody even knew a new smash game was coming until the March direct.

Last edited:

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
People need to remember just how hard Square-Enix is to work with. It’s been mentioned before on the geno boards themselves but it needs repeating, he’ll be the easiest, low hanging fruit to get. Even if you take away sakurai’s own interest in him, he’s still a hell of a lot easier than sora or a DQ rep.

Of course anything is possible, but claiming that sora or the dq rep are far more likely, or that it’s “just a battle between those two” is just wrong.

Of course we could get something completely unexpected like crono, or a black mage, but either way don’t count geno out yet.
Ok, but Geno isn't happening.

I am as confident in this statement as I was in my prior statements about Incineroar being in. It's important to remember that prior to his reveal everyone doubted him. Especially during the height of the Grinch hoax.

I hope "Incineroar is leaker bait!" becomes the next "Shulk is a photoshopped Little Mac!"

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I just picked up both Bravely games on impulse last month. Got the original in a B2G1 and the second one's collectors edition underpriced at a trade show. Not sure if I should resell it rather than open the box. Think I'll decide after I'm a good deal into Default.

Oh, I haven't played the games yet. I just really like the character designs and think it would be a cool and unexpected addition to Smash.

I wanna play them, though! I just need to find the time (and money), lol.

KarneraMythos

Smash Champion
I've given up on SQ character figuring out.

It could be Geno, but they're stubborn there.

It could be a FF character, but lol they will be stubborn there.

Sora has two parties to deal with. One is Disney who is a fierce renowned bargain to strike on TOP of Square's annoying butt.

Dragon Quest has Square and Armor to deal with as well as a music issue similar to Final Fantasy.

Like how do you bargain with people who won't even say ''Sure just put this picture of our character in."

Like no path is easy for Sakurai here.
2B or not 2B...

With her, you get both a Square Rep and another Platinum character (sorta), with Yoko Taro's legacy being graced by Smash (or the other way around). If Namco had success getting her into Soul Calibur VI, I can see her being a candidate for Smash.

It will be really damn disappointing if all the DLC characters are just promotion for something else.
I think it depends on what's being "promoted". Suppose a popular fan request like Banjo & Kazooie are getting a re-release of their games on a future N64 Classic. Their inclusion in Smash would be a means to advertise their games for that novelty item.

Nintendo can promote characters we like for games/remakes we don't know are coming, and depending on what those games are, they can spur interest in people who haven't heard of them or just missed out.

Last edited:

Gentlepanda

Meme Maestro
NNID
Panda
Switch FC
2255-1434-0335

There's a point a few chapters in where they'll pull what looks like some real bull****. All I can say is that it's nowhere near as bad as it looks and the criticism of the game's final portion is heavily exaggerated.

Other than that, have fun with it. Default is one of my favourite JPGs of all time.

Diem

Agent of Phaaze
NNID
Luminoth_Prime
Yeah, Dark Samus was so surprising that Sakurai said "you may have seen this coming" in reference to her reveal.
The character's been dead for 11 years and has had no presence in terms of support or campaigns for her appearance. Chrom's still very popular with the FE fanbase, but all the Metroid fanbase was asking for was Ridley.

The only reason anyone saw Dark Samus as a possibility was because Samus's Dark Samus alt color was missing, she hadn't been shown as an Assist Trophy, and Echo Fighters were announced. Otherwise, no one would expect Dark Samus over any other possible Echo Fighter.

D

Deleted member

I am as confident in this statement as I am in my statements about Incineroar being in. It's important to remember that prior to his reveal everyone doubted him. Especially during the height of the Grinch hoax.

I hope "Incineroar is leaker bait!" becomes the next "Shulk is a photoshopped Little Mac!"
???
Yeah during the grinch leak he was doubted, but after the September direct almost everybody I saw thought he was in.

Luigi The President

Smash Hero

I am as confident in this statement as I am in my statements about Incineroar being in. It's important to remember that prior to his reveal everyone doubted him. Especially during the height of the Grinch hoax.

TPC you know I love you and respect your arguments but your main one seems to be "he wouldn't sell enough, he's niche"

But...people are bringing up a lot of good arguments for him as well. Especially with how hard SE seems to be to work with.
I think the Mii costume does show the understanding that Geno isn't TOO niche. Sakurai even stated he still gets a /ton/ of requests specifically for Geno. I think we kinda overstate his nicheness.

Again TPC-I really do admire your debates on here, they've always proved something to me, but I'd just like to debate with you once again I suppose.

I will give you this though-yeah you sure did believe in Incineroar lol.

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
SW: 5586-2837-4585
There's a point a few chapters in where they'll pull what looks like some real bull****. All I can say is that it's nowhere near as bad as it looks and the criticism of the game's final portion is heavily exaggerated.

Other than that, have fun with it. Default is one of my favourite JPGs of all time.
how are you fellow Default fan
Whos you fav character. Mines Ringabel

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
The character's been dead for 11 years and has had no presence in terms of support or campaigns for her appearance. Chrom's still very popular with the FE fanbase, but all the Metroid fanbase was asking for was Ridley.

The only reason anyone saw Dark Samus as a possibility was because Samus's Dark Samus alt color was missing, she hadn't been shown as an Assist Trophy, and Echo Fighters were announced. Otherwise, no one would expect Dark Samus over any other possible Echo Fighter.
I mean

Those are three very big points you bring up lol

RyuhoFox

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW 1285-9221-5627
I wasnt even taking him seriously, I was just remarking that he was technically the first person to call Simon, even before Vergeben. I personally think he's been riding off a personal guess since March, and got on high horse especially after August when it actually did reveal Castlevania.

I especially think he's BS due to his Cloud remark. The project plan was completed in 2015, meaning they likely got all of the rights to use the characters again then, which by extension means that cloud wasnt the last character picked.

I don't think Square is an issue to work with. In fact, I think Sakurai probably had a good time getting Cloud and had a harder time getting the Konami characters, due to them not even using the IPs normally anymore.

What was a problem was the FF music, but the FF7 music isnt owned by Square, so there you go.
Considering how it was mentioned Sakurai got Cloud yeah I think people are overselling how hard Square is to work with.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
The only hang up with Geno for me is that Square is hard as **** to negotiate with. They have clearly got his image in Smash in some capacity in two Smash games now so a talk DID happen about Geno.

He's the only possible Square rep that has this going for him. He's the only one we know there has been a clear discussion about.

That doesn't mean he IS the rep, but this is why I don't discredit him as a possibility.

Last edited:

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
So... Now Steve is inevitable? XD
That's what seems to be the case...
It seems like such a Nintendo executive choice to me, with how much they're promoting it and all...
I'm still gonna be fine with it and all (I have some nostalgia for Minecraft), but it seems so obvious...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom