• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member

I have no idea what you're talking about. Yoshi has been on the verge of being cut since Brawl.
Ah yes, I remember the "Yoshi is cut" days.

*Also remembers it was during the period where I lurked GameFAQs*

We don't speak of those days.

SmasherMaster

Smash Lord
NNID
TelevisionGamer
Honestly, I don't think that the Original 12 is true. The Original 8 yes, but the secret characters are not fully safe mostly because Ness wasn't cut in Melee because of Mother 64 delayed and scrapped and especially considering that Jigglypuff was one of the least priority characters made in Brawl.

Shroob

Sup?
I'm still trying to figure out how to get the "Don't care like them anyway" and "Mad" site cheevos.

I think the first is just putting all the top tiers as your fav, the 2nd I have no idea. :Mad:

D

Deleted member

goddammit.png

JESUS ****ING CHRIST.

That's more of an appearance than most of the cast.

Last edited by a moderator:

Double K

Smash Lord
Wait, I got it.

Square Enix DLC character reveal, with a warning for strong language.

"Sakurai, you dumbass! Start giving us info, you rotten dev, or you're gonna be sorry! Maybe I'll change the source code of the game, line by line! Or maybe I'll reveal some goddamn confidential information! How could such a big developer with a big, huge amount of talent take so goddam long to reveal us like a *****!? Oh Square Enix! I love you, Square Enix! Come give Sakurai a big fat paycheck Square Enix! NOW PULL YOUR HEAD OUT OF THE GODDAMN CLOUDS AND START THE ****ING TRAILER!"

Cue to an idllyic field, where the Belmonts, Bayonetta, Link and Zelda are all walking around, when they are suddenly surrounded by strange, yellow monsters. From above, a figure comes down and cuts them down, one by one, like a beast, wielding a giant blade.

It's Nier (Brother)

Crooked Crow

drank from lakes of sorrow
I'm still trying to figure out how to get the "Don't care like them anyway" and "Mad" site cheevos.

I think the first is just putting all the top tiers as your fav, the 2nd I have no idea. :Mad:
I think : mad : is backroom. He used to be a very popular user here. As for the other achievement- it's the other way around.

Double K

Smash Lord
is that Erdrick I'm sorry I don't know Dragon Quest like at ALL

I do think a Dragon Quest rep is possible but I don't know how likely he is. It's no doubt a giant in Japan and does have some outside recognition and fame.

It is, but I'm specifically saying if Vergeben's claims about Square being first are true.
It's Erdrick. The thing is, that Dragon Quest has been a major series in the west and been around since the NES days as Dragon Warrior, and Dragon Quest 3 has been released twice here, iirc.

D

Deleted member

Are we...Are we really arguing about how "important" a character is again?

What is this, pre-Smash 4 speculation?

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Wait, I got it.

Square Enix DLC character reveal, with a warning for strong language.

"Sakurai, you *******! Start giving us info, you rotten dev, or you're gonna be sorry! Maybe I'll change the source code of the game, line by line! Or maybe I'll reveal some goddamn confidential information! How could such a big developer with a big, huge amount of talent take so goddam long to reveal us like a *****!? Oh Square Enix! I love you, Square Enix! Come give Sakurai a big fat paycheck Square Enix! NOW PULL YOUR HEAD OUT OF THE GODDAMN CLOUDS AND START THE ****ING TRAILER!"

Cue to an idllyic field, where the Belmonts, Bayonetta, Link and Zelda are all walking around, when they are suddenly surrounded by strange, yellow monsters. From above, a figure comes down and cuts them down, one by one, like a beast, wielding a giant blade.

It's Nier (Brother)
>NOT PAPA NIER

Double K

Smash Lord
>NOT PAPA NIER
Papa Nier is the other costume, but Brother Nier is considered the canon version for the sake of promotional material.

And personally, I feel that the themes work better with Brother Nier.

KMDP

Smash Legend

You get "Don't care I like them anyway" by having your mains as the bottom tiered characters from each game.

Crooked Crow

drank from lakes of sorrow
I question if it considers Miis and PM a thing.
I tested it extensively with Zinith. Look at the current tier lists; and pick the absolute worst character. It takes an hour or two, from my recollection. "Only The Best Is Good Enough" is top tiers; do the same.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Papa Nier is the other costume, but Brother Nier is considered the canon version for the sake of promotional material.

And personally, I feel that the themes work better with Brother Nier.
I dunno.
I can't personally relate as much to "protect sister" as well as "protect daughter"
nier___fathers_day_by_2unkown2know-d8yapj7.jpg

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Ah yes, I remember the "Yoshi is cut" days.

*Also remembers it was during the period where I lurked GameFAQs*

We don't speak of those days.
I remember Brawl more for "Ness has been in the Smash series until now" days. Needless to say, that period was tense.

It's Erdrick. The thing is, that Dragon Quest has been a major series in the west and been around since the NES days as Dragon Warrior, and Dragon Quest 3 has been released twice here, iirc.
Yes. Main issue is that it stopped getting games in the West between IV and VII. Worse situation than Final Fantasy, since there weren't even spin-offs brought over at the time.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

The Smash promo should have just been Sakurai punching the Grinch in the face and then dabbing with Piranha Plant.

Double K

Smash Lord
I dunno.
I can't personally relate as much to "protect sister" as well as "protect daughter"
It's a culture thing primarily, but specifically the ending for Branch D where you (Spoilers for Nier)

Sacrifice your existence to save Kaine doesn't make sense with the path Papa Nier has taken for the sake of Yonah. A daughter needs a parent, but with the brother, it can be viewed as him wanting to both let go of the burden he has shouldered for her sake and allow Yonah to live free and happy, or you can view it as him having come to love others as much as his sister and let them into his family.

So specifically, in second playthroughs, where the story is largely from Kaine's perspective, it feels better to me for Brother Nier

D

Deleted member

That's basically what the last direct was.
With Incineroar and Ken doing the Fortnite dance in the back.
Honestly, I like to think the Six Flags theme bass-boosted would play in the background during all of this.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
The Smash promo should have just been Sakurai punching the Grinch in the face and then dabbing with Piranha Plant.
That's basically what the last direct was.
With Incineroar and Ken doing the Fortnite dance in the back.
Wonder if anything big will get disproved again as soon as the DLC news arrive.

That being said, here's a funny interpretation of PP getting in:

dcr7q59-a8d1a52f-6748-4069-b204-bb94bf48dd2f.jpg

Potato_

Smash Lord
It just repeats the clip of Sakurai saying "That's right Piranha Plant joins the battle! Not as an Assist Trophy, but as a playable fighter!" while scrolling over message boards filled with angry fans.

It ends with a clip of Sakurai laughing.

Double K

Smash Lord
Yes. Main issue is that it stopped getting games in the West between IV and VII. Worse situation than Final Fantasy, since there weren't even spin-offs brought over at the time.
DQ7 I know for a fact released in the west. We missed 5, 6 and 10, but 5 and 6 got their remakes on the DS brought over.

As for the spin-offs, we got Warrior Monsters 1 and 2 in 2000 and 2001 on the GBC, Torneko in 2000, Rocket slime in 2006 and Swords in 2008. We skipped a good chunk of the spinoffs, but by this point every main game but 10 has been brought over in some way.

Yoshisaurus Rex

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-1023-7514-9432
Meh, figures I’d miss page 7777. Well, I’m outta this place for the night. See ya, folks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom