• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Graizen

Smash Champion
1. Squirtle returning. I miss my Trainer Team so much. Best thing ever.
I’m also really interested in seeing more of Spirits mode. I loved that Zelda was back in the trailer - I’m not a fan of super princess-y Zelda (we have Peach for that) so seeing Zelda as a badass in the trailer was beyond cool.

2. I’m forever a Link main with Zelda as my #2, but it’ll be tough now that Squirtle and co are back. Plus Ridley and K. Rool, Daisy, Ike, Robin, Mewtwo, DHD, etc...

3. The glorious return of Fountain of Dreams and Great Bay! Plus Gerudo Valley in HD! And Great Plateau with glorious BOTW music.
Hey Captain!
Steve is joining Smash!
What you think? He has your name

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
Huh, so Piranha Plant seems to be taking moves from other fighters
I didn't watch the whole video, but I feel like a lot of these comparison are a huge stretch. Saying Piranha Plant has the same F-Smash as Charizard is like saying K.Rool took his up-tilt from Mario because they're both uppercuts.

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162

Ridrool64

Smash Lord
If your most wanted character/main was in that scene, what would they do in their last moments when put in that situation, and how would they inevitably bite the dust?
Arle - Most Wanted - Would probably just try and toss Carbuncle out of the way if she knows she'll be hit. Maybe have him hitch a ride with Kirby to save him. Then she tries to cast Revia to deflect the beam, only for it to penetrate it like Nayru's Love.

Majora's Visage

Smash Journeyman
Been forever since I played Melee. So what's the word on Pichu in Ultimate? Does he do more damage than Pikachu because of self-inflicting damage? Or just smaller hitbox and more agile?

KingofKoopas

Smash Lord
I would love Koopa Troopa for smash, honestly would have loved them over PP as the crazy retro pick.
Yeah i mean, nothing against Steve, but if theyre gonna break so many rules why not do it with a mook who has some style!
KoopaNSMB.png

Shroob

Sup?
https://www.playstationlifestyle.ne...t-re-link-details-revealed-december/#/slide/1

Okay, while the Granblue spin-off won't be out in December, there will be more details about it soon enough. That's telling enough, given what we recently heard

Since Platinum works on the game, I have to wonder if Kamiya begged Sakurai to include Katalina (since, y'know :ultbayonetta:).

I can understand that. If one wants to introduce Western third-parties into Smash, why not use the biggest one possible and work your way down from there?

Jeez, what happened? :(
I don't think Kamiya would have any sway when it's not even his IP, it's Cygame's.

XLIFE

Smash Journeyman
NNID
fevariblaze
An argument for a DQ character as DLC:

It'll somewhat satiate the bellies of the folk clamoring for Goku in Smash.

I'm not saying it'll stop the requests, but it'll make them feel acknowledged. I can imagine the unaware tweets now: "Sakurai knew how much we wanted Goku, but he couldn't give him to us. So he put in a video game character drawn by Toriyama himself. The madman!"

350px-DQHeroArt.png 300px-DQIIHero.png 300px-Hero3male.png

These three, the protagonists of the first three games, might be what would make more sense since they are interconnected in the story. Last dude is Erdrick, 'Legendary Hero' who is brought up in the first two games as an ancestor to the two, I'd say he'd be the one Sakurai would go with.

D

Deleted member

Okay, so then you have Piranha Plant automatically when it comes out
**** YEAAAAH.

Man, see. I think the Direct was the worst Smash Direct they've put out in general, but overall it didn't completely ruin the hype. Thank god they've put pre-orders up, because now my hype levels are back to where they were, and the fact I now have Piranha Plant automatically? **** yeah. Free DLC character don't hurt me.

...Still eternally depressed they cucked my scarlet dandelion Pyra out of the roster, though.

Robertman2

IT'S HAPPENING!!!!
NNID
Robertman2
3DS FC
0259-1071-1157
i hope Sakurai surprises everyone and use Master Chief as the Microsoft character instead of Banjo or Steve

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
Yeah, that "Piranha Plant is kind of an echo?" video doesn't make much sense imo.

A lot of characters have similar moves, and PP has different animations and an entirely different model :S

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
An argument for a DQ character as DLC:

It'll somewhat satiate the bellies of the folk clamoring for Goku in Smash.

I'm not saying it'll stop the requests, but it'll make them feel acknowledged. I can imagine the unaware tweets now: "Sakurai knew how much we wanted Goku, but he couldn't give him to us. So he put in a video game character drawn by Toriyama himself. The madman!"

View attachment 175174View attachment 175175View attachment 175170

These three, the protagonists of the first three games, might be what would make more sense since they are interconnected in the story. Last dude is Erdrick, 'Legendary Hero' who is brought up in the first two games as an ancestor to the two, I'd say he'd be the one Sakurai would go with.
I wonder how many others they would add as alts. While the female heroes are doubtful, I'd be impressed if that got pulled off.

I don't think Kamiya would have any sway when it's not even his IP, it's Cygame's.
Hmm, point.

That said, if they do get costumes for her, they might want to cover up Luck Be A Lady a bit (unless they go "eh, it's DLC, CERO won't care).

https://gbf.wiki/Katalina

Last edited:

Radical Bones

Soul King
Switch FC
SW-3027-1027-5433
Can anyone explain what MKs new Final Smash is?

Also, did you all see that Young Link has Triforce Slash? I totally called it.

PsySmasher

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW 8231-8239-3130
Huh, so Piranha Plant seems to be taking moves from other fighters
If Piranha Plant is considered an "echo" so would K.Rool, his Bair is Ganon's Fair, his Fair is Bowser's Bair, his Neutral B is Jr.'s Neutral B etc.
It's a very week argument and I have no idea why he suggests Piranha Plant is an echo.

Last edited:

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Yeah, that "Piranha Plant is kind of an echo?" video doesn't make much sense imo.

A lot of characters have similar moves, and PP has different animations and an entirely different model :S
Despite I think the real reason why they could get a head start is because there's less to animate: No legs, eyes, fingers.
So Robin can sigh in relief.
Time to tip the scales!

Last edited:

Jetsurge

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-2536-8732-7990
i hope Sakurai surprises everyone and use Master Chief as the Microsoft character instead of Banjo or Steve
I kind of think the reason Banjo isn't in and why Steve was chosen over him for dlc is that Nintendo don't want to represent characters exclusive to a rival console. I really doubt we'll get Banjo now.

Sigran101

Smash Master
NNID
Sigran101
Now that is how you break the internet. Can you even imagine the reaction? I mean I love banjo and I've never even played halo but no one can deny how big this would be. I'd love it.

Radical Bones

Soul King
Switch FC
SW-3027-1027-5433
It would have been more accurate to say 'Piranha Plant shares some animations... similar to the majority of characters'.

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280
I think maybe another solo character dlc deal between the seasons will be nice to get another crazy character in...

Who wants to start a Koopa Troopa for Smash DLC thing? Anyone? Just me?....

I am so alone..
If we get another random thing, it should be a Pokemon. Imagine if we got something like Clamperl or Joltic, people would go crazy.

Starbound

Worlds Apart, But Still Together.
I originally wasn't too hot on Steve but then I watched some Shovel Knight gameplay from Rivals and got an idea (awesome character btw, give him a shot!).

For the unaware, SK's whole gimmick is he gets money for attacking that he can spend in a shop to swap out his neutral special (one of 3 options) or a stat-altering armor (one of 3 options), and the shop pulls up via taunt.

My idea for Steve is similar: he gets resources for attacking, which he can collect and use in a build menu that changes his abilities.

That would add a lot of depth to an otherwise simple looking character that would appease the hardcores that wouldn't be into the character's simplistic design, while still being simple enough for Minecraft's younger audience to play with.

ThatOneAnon

Smash Ace
Do you guys think anyone's even going to care about Smash 6 once it gets announced?
This DLC season is going to absolutely destroy any goodwill anyone ever had for Smash. This isn't bait, I'm seeing tons of people on here, Reddit, Twitter, everywhere talking about Verge's leaks and stating they're never going to forgive Sakurai for this.
Like, sure, the base game hype ended pretty underwhelmingly, but people like RelaxAlax and Alpharad, who were so hopeful that DLC would be plentiful and increase Ultimate's lifespan immensely...they were wrong. They were all fools to believe in Sakurai. WE were all fools to believe in Sakurai.

Last edited:

WolfCypher

Smash Lord
NNID
WolfCypher
Switch FC
4999 6039 1484
God, can one of these kids play Greninja for its FS??

Shroob

Sup?
Do you guys think anyone's even going to care about Smash 6 once it gets announced?
This DLC season is going to absolutely destroy any goodwill anyone ever had for Smash. This isn't bait, I'm seeing tons of people on here, Reddit, Twitter, everywhere talking about Verge's leaks and stating they're never going to forgive Sakurai for this.
They'll get over it once they get the game in their hands.

People are being such drama queens over optional content that we don't even know all 5 choices of yet.

ErenJager

Smash Champion
My expectations and predictions for the 5 DLC characters.

1) Geno - I 100% believe Geno will be the first DLC character. Geno was shown as an icon, I don't believe that qualifies as a deconfirmation. It hasn't been outright shown yet but you can infer that Geno is also a spirit based on there being a jpg usable as an icon. It's incredibly likely that jpg is also a spirit img. Regardless even if it is a spirit. Spirits are essentially trophies, and trophies have never deconfirmed characters before. The bet examples are the Mewtwo and Lucas trophies in Smash 4, as they became DLC even though they had trophies. All the playable characters will likely have trophies (spirits). If anything seeing a Geno picture is a good sign, given the lack of square content, they still have licensing to Geno in smash to some degree.

2) A bamco character. Your guess is as good as mine obviously we consider the MIA mii costumes the most likely. We can pray for other favourites though, such as Klonoa, Agumon, KosMos. Firm believer in the unseen Bamco content (Lloyd & Heihachi) is to keep us speculating... May be a subversion though.

3) Ryu Hayabusa. He's a legacy character from the NES. Koei Tecmo is the last major Japanese third party. The success of HW etc.

4) A nintendo character - predicting a LOZ character... Because there hasnt been a new character in forever... I think the character will also represent a game in the LOZ series that currently isnt present. I think it will most likely be Impa... And her HW version... Which will bolster the koei tecmo content a bit while also being a nintendo character. Linkle is also possible... Because Sakurai loves different versions of Link... So why not girl Link... I'm kidding. . . kinda.

5) A character that will let you down like Bayo and Corrin did.... Probably Katalina from Granblu. True Nintendo fashion... Some promotional tie into that mobile... Lol. Look deep in your hearts you know we're going out on a whimper in true smash fashion.

Starbound

Worlds Apart, But Still Together.
**** YEAAAAH.

Man, see. I think the Direct was the worst Smash Direct they've put out in general, but overall it didn't completely ruin the hype. Thank god they've put pre-orders up, because now my hype levels are back to where they were, and the fact I now have Piranha Plant automatically? **** yeah. Free DLC character don't hurt me.

...Still eternally depressed they cucked my scarlet dandelion Pyra out of the roster, though.
Glad to see Mr. Woz looking chipper as usual again!

D

Deleted member

There's a difference between "Steve?'s in" and "there's Minecraft content". Not to mention, yes, Vergeben's Smash source is credible, but remember that most people thought that the Grinch Leak was real, and to be fair, it was excessively convincing. BTFO'd Artsy Omni. Leaks at this rate are gonna have a REALLY, REALLY hard time convincing people now after the most recent Grinch Leak, so I wouldn't put in stock too much.

Or you're just willingly going into areas where people are saying that. One or the other.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Like, sure, the base game hype ended pretty underwhelmingly, but people like RelaxAlax and Alpharad, who were so hopeful that DLC would be plentiful and increase Ultimate's lifespan immensely...they were wrong. They were all fools to believe in Sakurai. WE were all fools to believe in Sakurai.
Yes, people will care.
People might care less if Smash became some sort of frankenstein marketing advertisement machine (which it hasn't, not yet anyway), but people will ALWAYS care about a crossover of this magnitude with THIS many characters.

D

Deleted member

Let's play a game...
These guys don't really have standard names... They just go by their species names or job description
Give them actual names them will ya?
:ultduckhunt:
:ultincineroar:
:ultgreninja:
:ultinkling:
:ultjigglypuff:
:ultlucario:
:ultpichu:
:ultpikachu:
:ultpiranha:
:ultvillager:
:ultwiifittrainer:
:ultduckhunt:: Banjo & Kazooie The Duck is named Linda, and the Dog is Stanley. Why? Why not?
:ultincineroar:: John Incenaroar (I'm soooo creative, ufufufu)
:ultgreninja:: Froakie's Dad (If anyone gets this joke, I'll be impressed)
:ultinkling:: My Inkling's name is Mewmie, so I'm just gonna pretend this Inkling is mine and name her Mewmie.
:ultjigglypuff:: Pearl. It looks like a Pearl to me.
:ultlucario:: Son Goku.
:ultpichu:: Timmy.
:ultpikachu:: Martin.
:ultpiranha:: Petey Jr.
:ultvillager:: Bill.
:ultwiifittrainer:: Barbra.

Wyoming

Connery, Sean
Switch FC
7748-5364-3982
Totally down for that.

That would send a monumental wave throughout the net too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom