• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

trivialEquinox

Smash Rookie
Switch FC
0888-9891-1486
Gotta say this, but now that they announced 5 dlc characters coming up? I have no idea who they're gonna be. That said, I'm kept on the edge of great suspense, as again, I don't even have a guess on who it could be. This'll be pretty fun.

IanTheGamer

Smash Champion
We might see DLC characters get promoted in a future Season of Smash DLC (it's really not unrealistic to say that we will have multiple seasons of DLC), especially with the outcry Waluigi got..

Last edited:

cothero

Smash Lord
Thank you for welcoming me and sorry I didn't mean to make anyone sad. Iv been researching today on who Square Enix's most likely candidate would be. This research is based on sales, character popularity, game popularity, future games and relations to Nintendo.

While I have no issue with Geno being in. Geno as a character outside of Smash requests. And him representing Square Enix as a company, I just don't see it. Super Mario RPG sales are less than Dragon Quest, Kingdom Hearts, Chrono Trigger and Tomb Raider.

Also according to different polls outside of Smash bros. His character popularity is not as high as compared to other Square Enix characters. Hopefully Ill be wrong, perhaps in securing Geno. Nintendo can use him in the next Mario & Luigi RPG
Either Sora, a DQ rep or Lara Croft. They are far more profitable in terms of marketing than Geno, and we know how Square is stingy with their content, they must have a good reason for it.

D

Deleted member

Let's talk about Doomguy:

I wouldn't mind to see him in, but i would see him more likely in a second pass.

He has a lot of chances, but i feel like he will take longer.

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
PapaGenos did get stuff right, even if what he said about the grinch leak was wrong, he pretty accurately leaked what Spirits mode was.
That's called "guessing correctly". If someone gets one thing right and a bunch of things wrong, it means they never had a real source, and were just guessing. Getting one of their guesses right doesn't make them credible, it just makes them lucky.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
I feel like I'm in the minority here, but I really hate Piranha Plant. Like... he seems like a developer joke that got taken why to far. I'd rather have three more Marth clones on the roster. Not to mention the fact that even ignoring the obvious Wah and Geno, there are still plenty more Mario characters with... well, actual character that would make more sense.

Yeah, Piranha Plant is iconic... in all the wrong ways, and it seems like due to the fact they had spare time to work on him and he's not an echo, that spot could've actually gone to someone more worthy of the spot.

Sakurai:
View attachment 175069

Sakurai, this is the seventh non-deserving character you've brought to Smash.
Nah, I totally see where you're coming from.
Hell, I actually agree, if any other game did this, the explosion would be massive. Putting resources into things like this are questionable design decisions.

Course, I don't actually think that anything I can say or do can exactly change it, so I'll just keep silent and let people enjoy their joke character.

A.G.L.

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-7451-1877-0896
My speculation for the next Square Enix character; based on sales, popularity of games, popularity of character, relations to Nintendo, character future, representative of Square Enix and current relativity. I would have to say its between Sora and Lara Croft.

They have a high popularity and stay current due to them being the protagonist of the many games they appear in. If either of them made it in, they would represent not only their games, but Square Enix as well. I did not choose a Dragon Quest character or Crono, due to the fact that Dragon Quest has many characters. And Crono is not that relative anymore compared to Sora and Lara Croft.

Last edited:

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280
Don't
Probably Grovyle
Not too sure about that one, lad.
Yeah, that was mostly wishful thinking.

It would make a little sense though, if we were to get Geno (a Mario spinoff character) Pokemon should get something too. PMD Explorers is beloved so that'd be a good game to rep, Grovyle's important in that game, plus Sceptile was pretty popular in the ballot era so Sakurai knows there's interest in the evolution line.

Last edited:

LuigiBros7

Smash Rookie
The DLC predictions being so safe or uninteresting really shows how much expectations have been brought in line since the Grinch madness. A gen 8 Pokemon or Three Houses character seems pretty tone deaf, especially since you know if they add Edelgard as the latter she won't be using axes or anything unique.

D

Deleted member

Yeah, that was mostly wishful thinking.

It would make a little sense though, if we were to get Geno (a Mario spinoff character) Pokemon should get something too. PMD Explorers is beloved so that'd be a good game to rep, Grovyle's important in that game plus Sceptile was pretty popular in the ballot era so Sakurai knows there's interest in the evolution line.
We need a plant Pokémon, indeed.

GoeGoe

Smash Lord
I miss the guy a bit.

I have to support Crash, but i will see if i can do something.
Just a bit XD.. thanks for your consideration anyway. I'll take that.

But.. Crash Bandicot? don't you think it's a bit farfetched?

Untouch

Smash Master
That's called "guessing correctly". If someone gets one thing right and a bunch of things wrong, it means they never had a real source, and were just guessing. Getting one of their guesses right doesn't make them credible, it just makes them lucky.
Wasn't the same source IIRC, he posted about spirits stuff WAY before the grinch "leak".
I never watched the video because I didn't believe in the grinch leak but I don't think his "source" ever said the rest of the characters are real and that they only believed it because of Banjo.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

The real problem is that it’s unlikely Grinch will be DLC. Our Illumination rep will probably be Minions or Gru.

A.G.L.

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-7451-1877-0896
Either Sora, a DQ rep or Lara Croft. They are far more profitable in terms of marketing than Geno, and we know how Square is stingy with their content, they must have a good reason for it.
I agree, based on their game sales, character polls, game polls and representative of Square Enix. I would say its between those two, the question is which one will Square Enix go with?

trivialEquinox

Smash Rookie
Switch FC
0888-9891-1486
Actually, I have a little bit of a hunch that Sora might just make it in. Not sure why, but you know, it's a hunch. He could be a super sick air fighter seeing his combo game in Kingdom Hearts 2.

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
Considering I was the only one in the pages these were posted that dared to critize some people's lord and savior PP, it doesn't take a genius to guess these were related to my thoughts on the direct. Not only do you insult me for daring to not like your character choices, but you can't even do it to my ****ing face. Talk about being both a total douchebag AND a weak, spineless coward. If this is what you say to anybody who dosen't like what you like, if I'm petty for that, then it's amazing how both being an ******* AND not being brave enough to speak directly to the person you're attacking ISN'T seen as petty.

But yeah, it does amaze me how petty people can be. It also amazes me how pathetic people can be. I can't even say anything negative about the game without douchebags hopping on my **** for not being part of the hivemind. Keep crying a river, *******.

(Also, why do you care how I spend my money? Why should I spend 60 dollars on something that will just leave me feeling disappointed when I play it?
You can be upset about something without throwing a temper tantrum over it. I don't care if you like Piranha Plant and I don't care how you spend your own money in the slightest, just as long as you have some level of maturity and self composure about it. Never did I say that "everyone who dislikes Piranha Plant is petty".

It just seems to me like you really need to take a deep breath and try to calm down.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I might be right, but from what Verge claims, it’s likely not serious. I can assume from the least it could be a Mii skin. Sadly the Grandblue character seems real... hopefully the Squenix character is pretty hype, I mean Sora is still hype, you know. I’m also positive of Jin or Hehatchi dlc and possibly another Nintendo character. Likely to end this off, it’s gonna be a popular 3rd party that people want... so y’all better put some thought in it because the answer is obviously Kasama Kiryu lol
I wouldn't mind, I want Kazuma Kiryu in here. Bonus points if they can slip in some FOTNS references somehow.

That being said, I didn't consider the possibility of a Steve Mii skin, since we had at least one blocky skin before (Akira).

ButterGeek

Smash Apprentice
My current prediction for DLC
Sora
Steve
Outer (for Daemon X Machina)
Gen 8 Mon (obv for Gen 8)
Doomguy (for Doom Eternal)

SegaNintendoUbisoft

The Amateur Artist
NNID
S.N.U0203
3DS FC
4725-8740-7336
Not really a fan of those rumored DLC choices. Mainly just Steve and the Granblue character, Square Enix character could be cool.

Graizen

Smash Champion
Again , what Minecraft musics you want in Smash?

This ones for sure getting a remix

Untouch

Smash Master
Let's talk about Doomguy:

I wouldn't mind to see him in, but i would see him more likely in a second pass.

He has a lot of chances, but i feel like he will take longer.
Hmm, DOOM was announced in 2014.
I don't really know if a Switch port was planned right away though, it was announced relatively close to the Switch's launch.
Skyrim, though, was announced WITH the Switch...

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
The DLC predictions being so safe or uninteresting really shows how much expectations have been brought in line since the Grinch madness. A gen 8 Pokemon or Three Houses character seems pretty tone deaf, especially since you know if they add Edelgard as the latter she won't be using axes or anything unique.
Sakurai said himself that the DLC characters were determined at the start of the project in late 2015. Sun and Moon hadn't even been announced yet and Fire Emblem Fates was just about to come out in the West. Sakurai even full fledged apologized for Xenoblade 2 and ARMS characters not being considered been of this. For DLC, people need to be thinking in that time frame.

Godzillathewonderdog

Smash Master
I mean, id be super happy if Elma got in as DLC, but why do we think she's likely?
I had found it suspicious that we don't have a single reference to Xenoblade X yet. They showed the list of Xenoblade music tracks and we don't have a single song form X.

Also we have not seen a single Xenoblade X Spirt, and we saw A LOT of Spirits. I'm speculating that maybe there aren't any references to Xenoblade X at all, because they're just going to add it all through a DLC pack.

Last edited:

SlickWylde

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1349-5237-9158
I rarely have problems with inclusions, but Katalina would irk me. (I would still accept it though, I generally trust Sakurai) I have 2 reasons:

1. I am a big gamer, and yet I've never every heard of this game series outside of this thread. None of my friends have ever heard of her or the game series either.

That is okay, but:
2. I just watched some gameplay, and it seems like a pretty looking game with barebones servicable combat, and looks it's world is very similar to many other RPGs. I'm sure fans of the series will get mad and say how unique it is, but just looking at it, it's not interesting.

But if Sakurai made her a cool character and not like the FE characters, I'd be down.

A.G.L.

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-7451-1877-0896
Actually, I have a little bit of a hunch that Sora might just make it in. Not sure why, but you know, it's a hunch. He could be a super sick air fighter seeing his combo game in Kingdom Hearts 2.
I agree I think he is most likely, as he fits more with the characters of Smash as compared to Lara Croft. That being said Bayonetta made it so who knows.

Last edited:

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
Piranha plant's role is bonus character.

An award if you buy the game before Jan 1, so Nintendo can have a strong quarter.

Now if the character was popular, people would be upset that they have to spend money in a narrow window of time or miss out.

So, the character can't be extremely wanted, leading to the creation of a character, that no one wanted, but consumed time and resources.

For the record, I love Piranha Plant.

Llort A. Ton

Smash Lord
NNID
GamerGuy758
3DS FC
0731-5017-6481
Switch FC
SW 1185 9411 4529
I get that no one will win em all but ill be irked if Banjo and Geno get shafted for their "big brothers" Minecraft and Sora, ngl (and this is coming from someone who wants steve and kinda sorta sora since one of my buds is a huge KI fan). Ideally all 4 would make it, but casuals arent the ones who get hyped over dlc (most of them, anyways.). Itd be pretty tone death on the dev teams part if they blatantly disregard the fan/ballot votes for such characters, especially when pretty much all their big competition is gone.

Cereal Bawks

Smash Ace
NNID
cereal_bawks
Not too familiar on the whole Granblue/Katarina thing. Has it come out to the west at some point?
Sort of. It officially supports English, but you can't just download it on Google Play or whatever ios' equivalent is. You have to go through hoops if you wanna play on mobile. The browser version is pretty easily accessible, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom