• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

TheAJJohnson

Smash Journeyman
So, if Ultimate were to receive seven updates that each added four new characters and three new stages, which characters and stages would you add?
Are we talking Splatoon/ARMS-esque, free updates rolled out over the life of the game? Or DLC? I guess either way it would be the same because I get to choose who/what I want, eh?

Characters
- Isaac (please please please!)
- Geno
- Banjo and Kazooie
- Rex and Pyra/Mythra

Stages
- Venus Lighthouse
- Spiral Mountain
- World Tree

Impa4Smash

Smash Lord
So, if Ultimate were to receive seven updates that each added four new characters and three new stages, which characters and stages would you add?
At this point for DLC - assuming we don't get any of these in base:

Characters:
Impa
Banjo-Kazooie
Dixie Kong
Rayman

Stages:
Spiral Mountain
Mine Cart Carnage
Glade of Dreams

Last edited:

Dcas

Smash Journeyman
I pretty much sympathize with Reggie when it comes to leaks. The element of surprise is worth 10x more than someone having their time in the limelight and I wish leakers would would realize that.

But to harass them over a video game? That's ****ing gross.

SmashFaqs is pretty bad altogether. There are some cool users, but a lot of them are just mean or creepy. I pretty much only go there to argue if I'm feeling edgy that day.
I disagree with you, being all secretive is so old, it doesnt hype me at all. But i do agree, people shouldnt harras anyone under any given circumstance. The
I know they wont get in like zero chance, one is already an AT but i would go totally manchild reaction if we got:

-Chrono
-Frog
-Robo
-Isaac
-Zero
-Ruto
-Terra

osby

Smash Obsessed
I wonder if Zelda can hear confessions for Hylians.

We need all the help we can get.
Now that I think about it, we have a literal goddess (:ultpalutena:), so there still might be hope for salvation.

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
By this rate we're going to need a priest just for this thread.
New FE newcomer confirmed!
Wrys.png

Bring a rabbi and an imam, too, while you're at it, it's too much work for one man.
Now I have to get a rabbit to? Fiiiiine.
Taguel.png

Actually having a beast unit in Smash would be pretty sick.

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
Writing Team
NNID
trpdm.wilton
Tfw you lose your mega evolution but Greninja gets his weird anime power-up.

Okay but no seriously, Ash-Greninja has always really weirded me out. It's like the Peachette of Pokemon, minus the weird viral Bowser meme part.
I get a sick sense of gratification from this post :demon:

Deoxys911

Laughs and Logic
NNID
Deoxys911
Oh, I've heard this one! They all walk into a bar, right?
Yep! And as they walk into it, they each yell out in pain:
Priest: "Owee!"
Imam: "Zowee!"
Rabbi: "Yahweh!"

(They should really be more careful and watch where they're walking.)

Last edited:

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
Tfw you lose your mega evolution but Greninja gets his weird anime power-up.

Okay but no seriously, Ash-Greninja has always really weirded me out. It's like the Peachette of Pokemon, minus the weird viral Bowser meme part.
Greninja hires Red and Leaf to kidnap Charizard and force him back into a team confirmed

Koopaul

Smash Champion
F-Zero as a Action Adventure game would be epic. Maybe do Black Shadow some Justice this time around.
Honestly a Grand Theft Auto type game would be great with F-Zero. By that I mean a sci-fi and rated T version with no real guns or sex. In this game you can select the various F-Zero characters and drive your vehicle around an open world Mute City completing missions or just messing around. Depending on what character you are playing as, your missions will be very different. Will you collect bounties as Captain Falcon? Or will you commit crime as Black Shadow? The choice is yours.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Do you guys think Sakurai will reveal what Spirits is on the 31st? That'd be perfect time and thematically perfect considering Halloween.

And as unlikely as it is maybe even reveal Skull Kid, Medusa and Nightmare (Soulcalibur) who all possesses spooky Halloween vibes. Really fitting if you ask me.

What a time that would be. :grin:

Last edited:

osby

Smash Obsessed
Do you guys think Sakurai will reveal what Spirits is on the 31st? That'd be perfect time and thematically perfect considering Halloween.

And as unlikely as it is maybe even reveal Skull Kid, Medusa and Nightmare (Soulcalibur) who all possesses spooky Halloween vibes. Really fitting if you ask me.

What a time that would be. :grin:
  1. Halloween isn't really that big of a deal in everywhere
  2. Spirits might not be as Castlevania as we thought
  3. I'd be down for it :p

TVDart

Smash Apprentice
This is built under the consideration of Incineroar and Geno being our final two characters.
If I was going to be making a DLC pack with these credentials, what I'd focus on is this:
  • Inducing Fan Hype from both Western and Eastern Markets
  • Representation of Franchises
  • Realizing childhood visions of what could happen in the future
  • Keep it surprising, unexpected, and even nigh-impossible
This is the set of credentials I believe were set for the DLC newcomers for Smash 4. Ryu, Cloud, Corrin, and Bayonetta represent gaming history, or in the case of Corrin, appeals to fan hype from the Eastern Market. These are also characters that would've been unbelievable additions to the franchise, in a way that looking back, NO ONE would've believed was possible.

That being said, with fan favorite characters being added left and right, along with the lack of worry for veteran returns, this leaves us in an interesting position. The final four characters can represent anything, which is why a mix between cult characters (Like Corrin) and gaming icons (Like Ryu and Cloud) in a way that is surprising and guard breaking is the way to go.

To re-iterate, this is not a wish list. This is just what I would feel would be a great and satisfying structure for DLC.

So, for my list:

Characters:
  1. Banjo-Kazooie. Would be the first DLC character. He's a fan favorite, beloved character to induce hype and would be an incredible way to kick off DLC, in the same vain Mewtwo was for Smash 4.
  2. Rhythm Heaven. A first party character, represents an untapped fanbase, DLC will put eyes on the franchise that struggles with the western market. While a character from this franchise is fan requested, it's also incredibly niche, and could garner help from the Smash community in a similar fashion to Fire Emblem.
  3. Jibanyan for our third character. He's a big Japanese-Community favorite, represents another big first-party franchise for Nintendo, and can be used to advertise upcoming games.
  4. Lara Croft. It sounds ridiculous, but remember, so did Ryu, Cloud, and Bayonetta before their reveals. She has a mild enough Nintendo history, is a BIG gaming icon, represents a massive piece of video game history, and would be an absolute WTF character but would induce a ton of hype and cause an outbreak of attention.
Stages:
  1. Spiral Mountain for Banjo Kazooie is pretty obvious.
  2. Remix 10 for Rhythm Heaven. Switch between a few different minigames throughout the franchise. The speed of hazards and the background is based on the music playing.
  3. The Lost Valley for Tomb Raider. A pretty iconic area from the first game, can be low poly and have different hazards that can be triggered based on the original games.
Unfortunately the guidelines here leave us with having to give one character no stage. I decided on Jibanyan because the world of Yokai Watch is a bit less iconic than the other three. In a perfect world all of our DLC newcomers would get a stage (unless they're part of an established franchise). Let me know what you guys think.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
  1. Halloween isn't really that big of a deal in everywhere
  2. Spirits might not be as Castlevania as we thought
  3. I'd be down for it :p
At least I can keep dreaming. I honestly don't expect it to happen but I can still hope!

Last edited:

ganondorf_22

Smash Journeyman
Kyle Hyde
Takamaru
The Builder
Greta Thunberg

Hotel Dusk
Mysterious Masamuse Castle
The steps of Norway’s Parliament

Dang, now I have more ideas for characters and a stage :/

Deoxys911

Laughs and Logic
NNID
Deoxys911
Honestly a Grand Theft Auto type game would be great with F-Zero. By that I mean a sci-fi and rated T version with no real guns or sex. In this game you can select the various F-Zero characters and drive your vehicle around an open world Mute City completing missions or just messing around. Depending on what character you are playing as, your missions will be very different. Will you collect bounties as Captain Falcon? Or will you commit crime as Black Shadow? The choice is yours.
And what's great is that they can still include the racing as a substantial part of the game. Since it's open world you can choose whether you want to focus on the bounty hunting missions or the F-Zero races on the various planets, allowing both fans of the classic F-Zero gameplay and those who are more interested in experiencing the world and characters of the series to both fully enjoy the game. I know some people don't like the idea of an F-Zero game that's not all about racing, but I really think that not only would it have the potential to turn out great, but that it could really breathe some much-needed new life into the series and essentially go down as the Awakening of sorts for the series.

osby

Smash Obsessed
And what's great is that they can still include the racing as a substantial part of the game. Since it's open world you can choose whether you want to focus on the bounty hunting missions or the F-Zero races on the various planets, allowing both fans of the classic F-Zero gameplay and those who are more interested in experiencing the world and characters of the series to both fully enjoy the game. I know some people don't like the idea of an F-Zero game that's not all about racing, but I really think that not only would it have the potential to turn out great, but that it could really breathe some much-needed new life into the series and essentially go down as the Awakening of sorts for the series.
Uprising would be a more appropriate approximation, considering how long it been since we last got a F-Zero game and your idea is essentially a new genre (for the half of the game)

Last edited:

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
You all do realize that it's not "seven updates that add four characters and three new stages" but "seven updates that each add four new characters and three new stages, right?

Update 1: The Latecomers
Characters:
  • Isaac
  • Geno
  • Steve
  • Shadow
Stages:
  • Venus Lighthouse
  • Star Road
  • New World
Update 2: The Up-And-Coming
Characters:
  • Rex & Pyra
  • Spring Man
  • Euden/Katalina
  • Octoling
Stages:
  • Mor Ardain
  • ARMS Arena
  • The Halidom/Granblue Stage
Update 3: Helping Hands
Characters:
  • Dixie Kong
  • Bandana Dee
  • Banjo & Kazooie
  • Sora
Stages:
  • Dive to the Heart
  • Sunset Shore
  • Click Clock Woods
Update 4: The Artists' Work
Characters:
  • Paper Mario
  • Chorus Kids
  • Chibi-Robo
  • Lloyd Irving
Stages:
  • Rhythm Heaven (similar to Warioware)
  • Yggdrasil
  • Chibi-Robo stage
Update 5: Heroes and Villains
Characters:
  • Skull Kid
  • Heihachi
  • Elma
  • Phoenix Wright
Stages:
  • Planet Mira
  • The Courthouse
  • Tekken Stage
Update 6: A Rag-Tag Band
Characters:
  • Travis Touchdown
  • Dante
  • Tetra/Toon Zelda
  • Edelgard/FE Three Houses Rep
Stages:
  • No More Heroes Stage
  • DMC Stage
  • Fire Emblem Three Houses Stage
Update 7: The Ultimate Finale
Characters:
  • Crash Bandicoot
  • DOOM Guy
  • Waluigi
  • Tails
Stages:
  • Crash Bandicoot Stage
  • Hell
  • Mario Sports Stage
Around the fifth update I got hard pressed for characters and really had to think about them. The later updates (4 onwards) can have newer Nintendo characters or third party promotions subbed in. This would truly be the Ultimate Smash game if this were the case though.

Last edited:

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Personally I'd be satisfied if this was the final roster.

69: Skull Kid
70: Incineroar
71: Nightmare
72: Geno

36e: Dixie Kong
38e: Shadow
54e: Medusa
60e: Ken

Oh well at least I can keep dreaming...

TVDart

Smash Apprentice
I disagree with you, being all secretive is so old, it doesnt hype me at all. But i do agree, people shouldnt harras anyone under any given circumstance. The

I know they wont get in like zero chance, one is already an AT but i would go totally manchild reaction if we got:

-Chrono
-Frog
-Robo
-Isaac
-Zero
-Ruto
-Terra
If we got not one but three Chrono Trigger characters I will livestream myself eating a copy of Chrono Trigger DS.

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
This is built under the consideration of Incineroar and Geno being our final two characters.
If I was going to be making a DLC pack with these credentials, what I'd focus on is this:
  • Inducing Fan Hype from both Western and Eastern Markets
  • Representation of Franchises
  • Realizing childhood visions of what could happen in the future
  • Keep it surprising, unexpected, and even nigh-impossible
This is the set of credentials I believe were set for the DLC newcomers for Smash 4. Ryu, Cloud, Corrin, and Bayonetta represent gaming history, or in the case of Corrin, appeals to fan hype from the Eastern Market. These are also characters that would've been unbelievable additions to the franchise, in a way that looking back, NO ONE would've believed was possible.

That being said, with fan favorite characters being added left and right, along with the lack of worry for veteran returns, this leaves us in an interesting position. The final four characters can represent anything, which is why a mix between cult characters (Like Corrin) and gaming icons (Like Ryu and Cloud) in a way that is surprising and guard breaking is the way to go.

To re-iterate, this is not a wish list. This is just what I would feel would be a great and satisfying structure for DLC.

So, for my list:

Characters:
  1. Banjo-Kazooie. Would be the first DLC character. He's a fan favorite, beloved character to induce hype and would be an incredible way to kick off DLC, in the same vain Mewtwo was for Smash 4.
  2. Rhythm Heaven. A first party character, represents an untapped fanbase, DLC will put eyes on the franchise that struggles with the western market. While a character from this franchise is fan requested, it's also incredibly niche, and could garner help from the Smash community in a similar fashion to Fire Emblem.
  3. Jibanyan for our third character. He's a big Japanese-Community favorite, represents another big first-party franchise for Nintendo, and can be used to advertise upcoming games.
  4. Lara Croft. It sounds ridiculous, but remember, so did Ryu, Cloud, and Bayonetta before their reveals. She has a mild enough Nintendo history, is a BIG gaming icon, represents a massive piece of video game history, and would be an absolute WTF character but would induce a ton of hype and cause an outbreak of attention.
Stages:
  1. Spiral Mountain for Banjo Kazooie is pretty obvious.
  2. Remix 10 for Rhythm Heaven. Switch between a few different minigames throughout the franchise. The speed of hazards and the background is based on the music playing.
  3. The Lost Valley for Tomb Raider. A pretty iconic area from the first game, can be low poly and have different hazards that can be triggered based on the original games.
Unfortunately the guidelines here leave us with having to give one character no stage. I decided on Jibanyan because the world of Yokai Watch is a bit less iconic than the other three. In a perfect world all of our DLC newcomers would get a stage (unless they're part of an established franchise). Let me know what you guys think.
Yokai Watch isn't first party though, and is on the decline in terms of popularity. Also, Sora would likely be our SE Rep over Lara Croft due to his immense popularity and iconic status. At the very least he'd be in over Yokai Watch as he is more popular than Jibanyan in Japan. That's just one of many flaws (lack of fan favorites such as Isaac, relevant characters like Bandana Dee or Dixie Kong, popular third parties like Lloyd Irving, Phoenix Wright, etc alongside Sora).

This is overall disappointing, and it's funny if you think we're getting only four characters.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom