• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Noipoi

Howdy!
Very true.

There is already mixed reception for LGPE, so they need as much time as possible to convince many Pokemon fans, as well as new ones, to pick up the game.

Putting anything Smash related near Let's Go will divert attention, and that's something Pokemon does NOT need right now.
That's an angle I haven't considered.
Pokemon sells gangbusters, and Let's Go will be no different, but this time around there's a chunk of Pokemon fans who aren't cool with the new games.
Putting Let's Go next to Smash isn't gonna win over those fans.

Meltan's cute tho, so it's all worth it.

Imma call him Screwball or somethin stupid

and the way Niantic marketed him was pretty ingenious ngl
Yeah, he's cute in a weird way.
screwball's a good name, i'm stealing it.

Last edited:

AugustusB

Smash Champion
Legit question. What is wrong with a Smash Direct in LATE OCTOBER?

November belongs to Pokemon (I guess?) So why not wait til a little later for the Smash Direct and give us a character(s) trailer in the coming days to tie us over?

EDIT: It makes no difference for me, but curious to know this possibility among the people here.

Last edited:

Shroob

Sup?
I think a way to look at it is to consider it like this:

Let's assume that Metroid Prime 4 comes out next year and becomes Nintendo's holiday title for this thought process.

The Metroid Prime series has always struggled to sell well, so Nintendo are going to try to PUSH it hard.

Now let's assume the same month that Prime 4 drops, before it comes out, they announce ****ing Odyssey 2.

Does no one see the problem here?

Deoxys911

Laughs and Logic
NNID
Deoxys911
I'm looking at it from a marketing perspective too. Revealing the last info this early is pretty foolish.
You're just going to have to accept that no amount of logic will ever convince people to not latch onto the most appealing possibility. There's a reason why the most popular type of leak after roster leaks is "There will be a new Direct is next week"-type leaks.

PsySmasher

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW 8231-8239-3130
Legit question. What is wrong with a Smash Direct in LATE OCTOBER?

November belongs to Pokemon (I guess?) So why not late til a little later for the Smash Direct and give us a character(s) trailer in the coming days to tie us over?
I don't think that having a direct in late October is out of the question. But there are 2 things to consider:

1. How close the direct is to the final stretch of Let's Go release date.
2. Previous trends w/ the Smash website and the Youtube channel.

So it's definitely possible, but I'm leaning more towards sooner than later.

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
Post your predictions
-Nintendo announces new Smash Direct tomorrow, scheduled for transmission this Tuesday
-Geno makes it in
-Surprise 3rd party character at the end of the direct
I predict that we won’t get an October direct and that we will get one in Late November.

And it’ll be just Incineror and Ken, no new stages, no DLC announcements, and Spirits in Smash Tour 2.0.

Prove me wrong, Sakurai. Please prove me wrong.

Paperchampion23

Smash Champion
If the Final Direct is next week, I do hope he specifies that its possible we could get a final character trailer or announcement after the fact.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Well, this time tomorrow we'll most likely know about the direct/trailer if it's for Tuesday.

RandomAce

Smash Champion

Let's assume that Metroid Prime 4 comes out next year and becomes Nintendo's holiday title for this thought process.

The Metroid Prime series has always struggled to sell well, so Nintendo are going to try to PUSH it hard.

Now let's assume the same month that Prime 4 drops, before it comes out, they announce ****ing Odyssey 2.

Well there is a potential similar situation.

The Pokémon 2019 game, you know, the first “real-hardcore” home console Pokémon experience, is set for late 2019.

As much as I hope for Metroid to succeed once again, I don’t think it would be smart to put it near Pokémon next year.

Shroob

Sup?

The Pokémon 2019 game, you know, the first “real-hardcore” home console Pokémon experience, is set for late 2019.

As much as I hope for Metroid to succeed once again, I don’t think it would be smart to put it near Pokémon next year.
It was just a theoretical scenario, with MP4 in place of "Let's Go".

PlasmaDam

Smash Journeyman
I dont think we are getting a direct now maybe a chracther reveal like what they did with robin Lucina

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
I predict that we won’t get an October direct and that we will get one in Late November.

And it’ll be just Incineror and Ken, no new stages, no DLC announcements, and Spirits in Smash Tour 2.0.

Prove me wrong, Sakurai. Please prove me wrong.
And risk the chance of the full roster getting leaked as Brawl and Sm4sh had before launch?

I think not...That's definitely a mistake Sakurai wouldn't want to make again. It's now or never getting all info out before it gets all leaked.

Last edited:

Noipoi

Howdy!

Gen 8 is basically confirmed to release in November, every Pokemon game since 2014 has released in November.
Prime 4 could release in December.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Is there any reason that we can't get most of the player characters in the same vein as we got all of the Koopalings? I'm not particularly familiar with the franchise, admittedly, but from what I've seen of DQ gameplay aren't they all pretty generic silent protagonists that can do a basic set of actions (even if later games introduced some new options in addition to the classic ones) in the classic RPG tradition?
I could see them take that route (yes, even for the heroes with female versions). They can also pull a Richter by having the earlier heroes use stuff from the later ones.

LetterO

Smash Lord
Well, we are nearing the climax of base game speculation (I'd say in about a month).

With that in mind, would anybody like to join us Rhythm Heaven supporters? I still believe that we'll have to get some kind of Stage, AT, or Character for Ultimate. Being close to a character in Smash 4, I doubt Sakurai would just abandon the franchise in Ultimate without at least something above a song or Smash Run enemy.

Noipoi

Howdy!
Well, we are nearing the climax of base game speculation (I'd say in about a month).

With that in mind, would anybody like to join us Rhythm Heaven supporters? I still believe that we'll have to get some kind of Stage, AT, or Character for Ultimate. Being close to a character in Smash 4, I doubt Sakurai would just abandon the franchise in Ultimate without at least something above a song or Smash Run enemy.
Eh, why not. Chrom got in, I could see Sakurai picking up another unused character.

Robertman2

IT'S HAPPENING!!!!
NNID
Robertman2
3DS FC
0259-1071-1157

Thiis is nothing like that. This is Pokemon, not Metroid. And announcing Odyssey 2 wouldn't somehow magically cause Prime 4 to bomb. Releasing Odyssey 2 near Prime 4? Maybe. But sure as hell not announcing it.

War Anvil

Smash Lord
NNID
BattlingIronItem
3DS FC
2208-4585-5395
Switch FC
SW-5940-1276-1225
I know its not Smash related but.
My mother uncle is in the hospital, pray for him please. Im good, but everyone is worried.
Aw, I'm sorry your uncle's not feeling well. My aunt on my father's side has her own father, who's dying of cancer. I feel you 200%.

Shroob

Sup?
Thiis is nothing like that. This is Pokemon, not Metroid. And announcing Odyssey 2 wouldn't somehow magically cause Prime 4 to bomb. Releasing Odyssey 2 near Prime 4? Maybe. But sure as hell not announcing it.
LGPE is already looked at as "MEH" by the general audience. Nintendo is going to pump probably millions into marketing it for this November so it's THE game to get this Black Friday.

This isn't a mainline Pokemon game that'll just 'sell', this game's reception is already lukewarm at best.

PsySmasher

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW 8231-8239-3130
At his point, there's only a few ways I can see the pre-release schedule panning out:

1. A character reveal within the next week and a half + a final direct in Late November (after LGPE)
2. A character reveal in Late October + a final direct in Late November (after LGPE)
3. A final direct within the next week and a half
4. A final direct in Late October
5. A final direct in Very Early or Late November

Personally I feel like options 1 and 3 are the most plausible. 4 could also work, if it's far enough away from LGPE. I doubt we're getting two more directs.

Waiting right before release seems to be slowing it down FAR too much for new content.

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710

Believe it or not, I still think the Chorus Men (Or any Rhythm Heaven rep) still have a chance. As you pointed out, A Rhythm Heaven Character was planned for Smash 4, up to the point that a franchise logo for Rhythm Heaven was found in the game's code. Probably meaning that Sakurai had a move set planned for them. He probably doesn't want that idea to go to waste. So it wouldn't surprise me if they are in this game. Especially if this is Sakurai's last Smash game, like many people (Including Me) Assume it to be...
So there is still hope

Last edited:

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
I still don't understand why Nintendo and Sakurai would have the final direct be in November at the chance of the full roster getting leaked as Brawl and Sm4sh had. I mean didn't Sakurai say he wanted to get all characters revealed before launch? That's why this month would make the most sense to prevent a third time happening...

Also November is Pokemon Go! Pikachu and Eevee. That's their month, shouldn't let it be overshadowed by Smash.

Last edited:

Robertman2

IT'S HAPPENING!!!!
NNID
Robertman2
3DS FC
0259-1071-1157
LGPE is already looked at as "MEH" by the general audience. Nintendo is going to pump probably millions into marketing it for this November so it's THE game to get this Black Friday.

This isn't a mainline Pokemon game that'll just 'sell', this game's reception is already lukewarm at best.
By the general audience? Or by people who are already Pokemon fans? There's a huge distinction between the two.

Shroob

Sup?
By the general audience? Or by people who are already Pokemon fans? There's a huge distinction between the two.
So are you just assuming that "Because someone's a fan of a series, that means they'll buy whatever?"

Because if that's the case, I know for a fact that I'm a Star Wars fan, and I didn't go see Solo, nor did probably millions of other fans.

Robertman2

IT'S HAPPENING!!!!
NNID
Robertman2
3DS FC
0259-1071-1157
So are you just assuming that "Because someone's a fan of a series, that means they'll buy whatever?"

Because if that's the case, I know for a fact that I'm a Star Wars fan, and I didn't go see Solo, nor did probably millions of other fans.
No. I'm "assuming" that the people who are eh on it are the people who already Pokemon fans, NOT the general audience.

PsySmasher

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW 8231-8239-3130
I think the main point was to highlight that there's mixed reception somewhere within the Pokemon audience. If that can compromise sales, Nintendo/Game Freak will need as much time as possible to convince them to buy the game.

Shroob

Sup?
No. I'm "assuming" that the people who are eh on it are the people who already Pokemon fans, NOT the general audience.
And what do we say about assumptions?

Regardless, the release date of LGPE right before Black Friday is strategically placed, and I'm already seeing ads on websites. Soon there'll be billboards and tv commercials and everything.

The game will 'sell' because it's Pokemon, but the difference is, a game can sell, and still be deemed a failure, which is why they're going to go hard on the advertisement.

lightdrago

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW 2938 1058 0987
Am a Pokemon fan. Still extremely on the fence of getting LGP/E, but I may succumb to it. However, I have friends who are Pokemon fans and are skipping out on LGP/E, cause it does not interest them. Being a fan =/= Automatic buyer.

T3Z3R1

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-5579-0990-8199
Yeah, we're nearing it without any huge legit leaks that comes out (expect for that Ken image leak.) I think that Nintendo has gone a great job on keeping the game from being leaked. I mean, I'll eat my word IF someone leaks the game before Sakurai can announce anything.

This is us now:

We're ****ing bored, because there's nothing to speculate about. And worst part is that we are in smash drought, (no info, and blog was useless to us right now, and also no leaks) so, it feels like we are discussing about the theories, Goku, and others that you can name. Only our hope is that if nintendo announces final smash direct tomorrow since there's some evidence that we may get news soon: character playlist being updated on youtube, new tag removed from fighter section.

Last edited:

amazonevan19

Smash Ace
yeah I got suckered into buying Ultra and am not going to buy Let's Go. Waiting until 2019 for the main games. Let's Go concerns me for the overall direction of the franchise but hopefully they'll keep the filthy casualness in the spinoffs :p

PsySmasher

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW 8231-8239-3130
Am a Pokemon fan. Still extremely on the fence of getting LGP/E, but I may succumb to it. However, I have friends who are Pokemon fans and are skipping out on LGP/E, cause it does not interest them. Being a fan =/= Automatic buyer.
Announcing a "true" mainline game after LGPE was kind of a double-edged sword, since it stopped concerns about future games being in the Let's Go style, but also a reason for hardcore Pokemon fans to skip this game and wait only a year later for their new Pokemon.

So they need to do everything possible to convince EVERYONE that Let's Go is worth buying.

Edit:
yeah I got suckered into buying Ultra and am not going to buy Let's Go. Waiting until 2019 for the main games. Let's Go concerns me for the overall direction of the franchise but hopefully they'll keep the filthy casualness in the spinoffs :p
I actually didn't release this was posted while I was typing; but this clearly represents why they need to market Let's Go more to everyone.

Last edited:

Icedragonadam

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5227-6397-6112
I really don't get that logic that a Smash Direct can't be November because it's "competing with Pokemon". It's not like it's possible for a person to get both games.

I'm firm it'll just be a single character livestream. Since that updated playlist only had 1 character IIRC.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
I really don't get that logic that a Smash Direct can't be November because it's "competing with Pokemon". It's not like it's possible for a person to get both games.
There's also the chance of the full roster getting leaked before launch. Is that a chance Sakurai wants to take again as Brawl and Sm4sh? Do we need this happening a third time?

Shroob

Sup?

I'm firm it'll just be a single character livestream. Since that updated playlist only had 1 character IIRC.
That's incorrect.

The updated playlist says "70", and we already have 70 videos.

We don't know what was changed/added to it.

AugustusB

Smash Champion
HOLD THE **** PHONE! Was that discussed that only 1 video was added!? What was the number for the playlist at before!?

EDIT: :ultgreninja:ed kind of?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom