• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
Really, it’s not even if it “would make sense”, from all of us being armchair developers/marketing teams.

It’s more that Sakurai was disheartened by the ESRB leak, which happened roughly a month-month and a half before release of Smash 3DS, if I remember correctly.

If they don’t have the Direct soon, the risk of that happening goes up. The last thing you want is your biggest game this year, if not for the entire console, being spoiled weeks before release.

You think Ken and Incineroar being the last two revealed would be bad? Imagine them getting leaked as the last two. It doesn’t seem like it, but there would absolutely be a difference in salt levels if they’re officially revealed as the last characters as opposed to leaked that way.

Last edited:

PlasmaDam

Smash Journeyman
Pokemon let go pikachu and eevee might be the most cash grabest pokemon game ever i love pokemon but im not gonna waste my money the pokemon ultra sun and moon taught ne something think before you buy a pokemon game

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710

Jetsurge

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-2536-8732-7990
Well, I for one love swords, so I wouldn't be mad at all. I do get why people would be salty, but for a franchise as huge as FE, it shouldn't be surprising to see new rep, if it happens. But maybe Sakurai actually would restrain, for now.

This reminds me, I still need to play an FE game sometime.
FE isn't really that big

T3Z3R1

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-5579-0990-8199

beans

Smash Lord
did something happen with the playlist is it still 70?

but anyway to bring a subject

was this talked about yet?

https://twitter.com/MimiqueVEVO/status/1048674247801851904

i don't know if hes reliable or not but thought it would be something to talk about

i would love this to be true even though its just likely a prediction
Its just a prediction but I agree with the 3 days part.
I betting on just a normal direct, Luigis Mansion and TWEWY come out next friday and I can see they doing something to remind us of it

PlasmaDam

Smash Journeyman
I mean fire emblem is really big now Fire emblem sales are better than star fox and metroid Cause fates and awakening was a success And fire emblem heroes is nintendo best selling mobile game that is making them bank
FE isn't really that big

AugustusB

Smash Champion
did something happen with the playlist is it still 70?

but anyway to bring a subject

was this talked about yet?

https://twitter.com/MimiqueVEVO/status/1048674247801851904

i don't know if hes reliable or not but thought it would be something to talk about

i would love this to be true even though its just likely a prediction
She is a great predictor. Not a leaker, but definitely guessed a couple of things that came true.

Wouldn't trust this 100%, but interesting to keep an eye on.

Last edited:

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
If Skull Kid does get in that means chair theory was right all along. Everyone's minds will be totally blown over that.

PlasmaDam

Smash Journeyman
The chair theory was stupid as **** ig you thought that was legit im sorry but was really dumbon your end

Ring-a-Sheep

Smash Ace
If Skull Kid does get in that means chair theory was right all along. Everyone's minds will be totally blown over that.
Heh you sheeple are all sleeping on the REAL theory, i call it the "blinking theory" have you ever noticed sakurai blinks in every smash direct? From this i think we'll be getting a character that blinks, and don't get me started on the breathing theory.

Last edited:

amazonevan19

Smash Ace
I actually didn't release this was posted while I was typing; but this clearly represents why they need to market Let's Go more to everyone.
Well I've tried to keep an open mind about LGPE and if they show me something ****ing awesome about the game, I'll certainly be intrigued.

But no, LGPE is doing everything possible to alienate core fans of the series in pursuit of the casuals. It's been explained ad nauseum what the strategy is (hook casuals in to buy a switch so they'll be more likely to get Gen 8); while I get that, I don't think anyone can disagree that the core fans of the series have been cast by the wayside with LGPE. NOTHING they've shown convinces me to buy the game. And as you imply, that's an indictment on their marketing and how they're crafting the game. I wish I could like it or be excited by it, and I don't judge anyone who genuinely is looking forward to it. But yeah, in terms of marketing and business, they done ****ed up with almost nonexistent marketing for their core demographic - the hardcore Pokemon fans.

Tbh I think they're going the Wii route with marketing this game. Just push push push the system/game to as many people as possible. That works to a certain extent but at some point you have to sacrifice something with that sort of strategy, and what often gets sacrificed is fidelity to the original hardcores. Which is ironic, considering the switch is marketed incredibly differently - as a gaming machine for hardcore Nintendo fans.

Last edited:

Dukeofdeath5

Smash Lord
Heh you sheeple are all sleeping on the REAL theory, i call it the "blinking theory" have you ever noticed sakurai blinks in every smash direct? From this i think we'll be getting a character that blinks, and don't get me started on the breathing theory.
Well that rules out Skull Kid, that mask don't blink

xAquaCrystal

Smash Journeyman
To be honest I hope we do get a smash direct this upcoming week. I been craving for more smash news. I want to know if my most wanted character is confirmed or not. I want to know more about Spirit mode. If the mode is anything else to close to the concept like adventure mode from melee then I would be hype and I like to know more online functionality. Because I feel we are all in a smash news drought and there is nothing but constant leaks popping up. I just want official information at this point.

FalconFire93

Smash Lord
NNID
ZombieHunter93
3DS FC
0074-4291-3615
Switch FC
SW-5918-1380-7797

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Sakurai will be in a blank white room in the next Direct in order to throw off furniture theorists. It's somehow a confirmation that Light Suit Samus is gonna be her own separate character.

Noipoi

Howdy!
Seeing how PG is a Kanto remake, I really don't think too much time needs to be spent on it. There's not really much left that needs to be explained.
That's true, but they showed off mega evolutions and Gym Leaders like they were new. I feel like the trailers for this game are meant more for the target audience, young kids and Go players who wouldn't know these things. So I could see us getting several new trailers filled with things Pokemon fans already know.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
To be honest I hope we do get a smash direct this upcoming week. I been craving for more smash news. I want to know if my most wanted character is confirmed or not. I want to know more about Spirit mode. If the mode is anything else to close to the concept like adventure mode from melee then I would be hype and I like to know more online functionality. Because I feel we are all in a smash news drought and there is nothing but constant leaks popping up. I just want official information at this point.
I also want it next week that way with all characters revealed that next two months the community will be satisfied without going into chaos.

Penroze

The Surreal Deal
Switch FC
SW-7239-4479-0495
The only true theory is Shirt Theory. Sakurai has worn a black shirt in both the E3 direct and the Smash direct. This means that all potential fighters with black on them will be joining the roster.

IGuessItsOver

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-5424-4083-0824
Let's do something:
>Your most wanted character
>The song that sums up your entire life

Shantae

Last edited:

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
The only true theory is Shirt Theory. Sakurai has worn a black shirt in both the E3 direct and the Smash direct. This means that all potential fighters with black on them will be joining the roster.
Black Knight?
Black Shadow?
Gothitelle
Shadow?

D

Deleted member

I'm still sticking with Halloween or first week of November. Airing it this upcoming week seems a little too soon, especially when Nintendo usually does their big finale Directs closer to when the game's a month out. We're only just now a week into October, I'd give it at least another week before expecting news for the final Direct.

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
So that bassically means anyone with black in their eyes, meaning almost anyone...

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
I'm still sticking with Halloween or first week of November. Airing it this upcoming week seems a little too soon, especially when Nintendo usually does their big finale Directs closer to when the game's a month out. We're only just now a week into October, I'd give it at least another week before expecting news for the final Direct.
If that's the case maybe then next week will just be a single or duo reveal.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719

Penroze

The Surreal Deal
Switch FC
SW-7239-4479-0495
Incineroar will be joining the battle.
Spring Man has some weird black parts on him like under his chin. He's in.
Bandana Waddle Dee has black in some parts of his eyes kinda. He's definitely in.

And I'm very excited for Unown as playable!

Last edited:

CosmicQuark

Smash Master
Well I've tried to keep an open mind about LGPE and if they show me something ****ing awesome about the game, I'll certainly be intrigued.

But no, LGPE is doing everything possible to alienate core fans of the series in pursuit of the casuals. It's been explained ad nauseum what the strategy is (hook casuals in to buy a switch so they'll be more likely to get Gen 8); while I get that, I don't think anyone can disagree that the core fans of the series have been cast by the wayside with LGPE. NOTHING they've shown convinces me to buy the game. And as you imply, that's an indictment on their marketing and how they're crafting the game. I wish I could like it or be excited by it, and I don't judge anyone who genuinely is looking forward to it. But yeah, in terms of marketing and business, they done ****ed up with almost nonexistent marketing for their core demographic - the hardcore Pokemon fans.

Tbh I think they're going the Wii route with marketing this game. Just push push push the system/game to as many people as possible. That works to a certain extent but at some point you have to sacrifice something with that sort of strategy, and what often gets sacrificed is fidelity to the original hardcores. Which is ironic, considering the switch is marketed incredibly differently - as a gaming machine for hardcore Nintendo fans.
I agree, I was so hyped watching the initial trailer, and then... every... ****ing... thing that came out afterwards de-hyped me. And they didn't even have to go that route. Just re-make Yellow with new graphics, and to make it more like Pokemon Go for casuals--during wild battles you can either choose to fight, as you would, or choose to take a chance and throw the Pokeball. It adds another dimension of risk/reward, while allowing Pokemon Go fans to play the game as they usually would. Instead of adding, they subtracted--a lot. It's not a remake of Yellow anymore. It's Pokemon Go, but $60, $110-170 if you want to catch them all. With nothing interesting added or expanded. :facepalm:

And this is the difference between Pokemon and Smash. Pokemon gives just enough value to convince people to buy overpriced content, whereas Smash over-delivers and gives as much value as possible. Just watching the August Direct and comparing it shows a huge difference in philosophy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom